Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 11, 2021 1:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this Shigaraki storytelling and his origins was painful to watch, especially its nature. Out of all of his family members, Shiagaraki's father treated him like shit. I actually felt bad for him since he was so young as child. At least his mother and sister seemed like a decent people.

RIP the dog. It looks like his quirk activated when he was just a kid and accidentally killed it. Same with his sister and mother. What a tragedy.

On the other hand, I thought his fight with Re-Destro is quite something.
Sep 11, 2021 2:46 AM
Jun 2015
Oh boy its the victimizing cliche. Another Villain who went batshit over a tragedy. Borrrring!
Sep 11, 2021 2:55 AM

Jul 2017
The League of Villains are having an even tougher time against the Meta Liberation Army, and at least they did part of Spinner's backstory justice.

Shigaraki vs. Re-Destro, and fleshing out more of Shigaraki's backstory, cracking more of this leader's past memories only shows more dysfunction of a happy family that's gone to waste. At least now Gigantomachia joins the battle in wreck.

To think that Shigaraki is like Todoroki where fathers are the bad prime example of parenting, the origin story of Tenko Shimura is one that I feel has more weight when compared to Todoroki's. It's a good thing that his in-laws, mom and siblings are decent, but that isn't enough to sway young Shigaraki from his path of building up hatred from the grudges at home. RIP to the dog that suffered from his Decay Quirk that got accidentally triggered, a small but steady accumulation that only got worse as time passed on.

Shigaraki could've been a decent hero if taught right, but the amount of evil that's accumulating inside him...only turned his life upside down for the worse.
Sep 11, 2021 2:55 AM

Jun 2019
Another episode of My Villain Academia and we got to see more of Shigaraki and Re Destro. He looked in a lot of trouble in this episode with his opponent being heavy on him and we also saw some of his memories of his loved ones which kinda keep him going. The fight was alright imo.

Man... I felt really bad for Shigaraki in this episode. The kid just wanted to be accepted by his family and ended up killing his mother, sister, and the doggo accidentally. Another kid who wanted to be a hero all along turned into a villain.
Sep 11, 2021 2:56 AM
Dec 2020
shane_nichols said:
Oh boy its the victimizing cliche. Another Villain who went batshit over a tragedy. Borrrring!
it isn't really victimizing
Deathlydash
Sep 11, 2021 2:59 AM

Oct 2017
Finally we saw Shigaraki's backstory and that was messed up. Everything crumbled so easily, Shigaraki broke.
Sep 11, 2021 3:05 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode. The last 3 episodes were amazing, I wish the whole season had been like that.
Next week another “Origin” episode! The preview looks hype.
Sep 11, 2021 3:12 AM
Jul 2020
God fucking damn this is the best MHA episode ive seen since OFA vs AFO.
Sep 11, 2021 3:18 AM

May 2018
This episode was so insanely good! The animation, the ost and the story, it was all so amazing, they did amazing job adapting it from the manga. This definitely is one of the best episodes. I can't wait for the next one!
HikalynnSep 11, 2021 3:36 AM
Sep 11, 2021 3:23 AM

Apr 2021
Its good but the Season 3 its master piece
[jmg align=right]https://i.imgur.com/XLRDPsi.png?1[/img]
anime list
manga list
blog posts

Sep 11, 2021 3:25 AM
Jul 2020
As a manga reader I am finally happy to say that this episode did justice with the backstory. There were some still images but they delivered the story perfectly and also they did not censor a lot and I am happy for that. Bones you get a W for this episode. Too bad that they will not show what they skipped in the beginning as it is important and some people are confused about what liberation army is.

For anime only people read the first 4 chapters of mva just for the skipped stuff the rest is adapted well. From ch 218 to 222.

They did not do the art justice as it is too detailed and very beautiful in the manga but it is kinda faithful to the story.

Good episode
Sep 11, 2021 3:27 AM

Jul 2019
Bones pretty much nailed it except for some censoring which was to be expected. This might be my favorite MHA episode ever.
Sep 11, 2021 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
Best episode of the season with the best animation, gore, story-telling. The animated version of Shigaraki's past was insanely good. Although, the past of Shigaraki is tragic & scary.
Sep 11, 2021 3:31 AM
Jan 2021
This is firee🔥🔥🔥
Sep 11, 2021 3:39 AM
Mar 2021
shane_nichols said:
You must be new here?
Sep 11, 2021 3:39 AM
Apr 2021
I read this part already before but somehow this episode still hit me very hard like everything about this episode was perfect! Too bad this season only has like 3 episodes so far that I enjoyed (entirety of MVA)… so its still gonna stay at a 6/10…
Sep 11, 2021 3:41 AM

Aug 2015
That flashback was so amazing and intense.
I was so into it. The episode was very engaging!

Maybe my favourite episode of this season so far. Next episode looks like it's going to be good too though.
It's a shame that it took 20 episodes for this season to become this good. The Meta Liberation arc is almost saving the whole season.
AyyMayySep 11, 2021 3:46 AM
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Sep 11, 2021 3:42 AM

Mar 2020
I got goosebumps in this episode. The music really uplifted the scene.
Sep 11, 2021 3:42 AM

May 2020
This episode was god damn good one of my favorites in MHA so far. That backstory was too messed up man. Feels bad for Shigaraki and his family idk why but I felt bad for the dad. Also Shigaraki is way too strong now.
The soundtracks this episode were heat!
SkyKidSep 11, 2021 6:08 AM
If you want me to prepare a rope for the sake of hanging yourself, forget it. But… If it's a rope for the sake of pulling you up from Hell, no matter how many ropes it takes, I'll prepare them for you. ~Sakata Gintoki
Sep 11, 2021 3:46 AM
Feb 2021
Great episode of MHA today. The only thing they didn't show was a certain someone visited Tenko/Shigaraki home but its another good episode
Sep 11, 2021 3:47 AM
Jun 2015
inuahsa said:
shane_nichols said:
You must be new here?
Yeah. And it was umderwhelming. Why does it always have to be a tragedy that makes villains go nuts, its just so overdone...
Sep 11, 2021 3:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sure that Tenko backstory was quite hardcore, he literally decomposed his whole family wtf
Sep 11, 2021 3:56 AM

Jun 2014
After a rocky start this arc has continued to pick up steam. I still can't get over how much better this arc could have been if they just kept the proper sequencing of the arcs. Oh well, this was another great episode and we got to see Shiggy's backstory. A tragic one, as expected, growing up with an abusive father. That POS got what he deserved but RIP to the rest of the family, especially the doggo 😔
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 11, 2021 4:09 AM
Jul 2019
The episode was ok i guess, even underwhelming for me.
The attempt by the author to make us feel bad about shigaraki's story is disgusting.
Ok he had a harsh life, but it was because he refused to comply with the only rule of the family.
Correct me if I'm wrong but his dad only cuffed him once in his life and it's enough to make the kid go crazy?
You can't and shouldn't try to justify the murder of a whole family by just being punished to go to the corner.
Hope it'll get better next episode.
Sep 11, 2021 4:20 AM

Aug 2020
Ok this has been the best episode this season my opinion. I always thought Shigiraki was cool but his origin is just so depressing but it all makes sense and you sympathise somewhat, Shigiraki has shot up my list of favourite characters after this, I’m so excited for the next episode and can’t wait to see how he changes and gets even better throughout the rest of the anime.
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more Dekugo😭
Sep 11, 2021 4:22 AM
Dec 2020
UnBouquetin said:
The attempt by the author to make us feel bad about shigaraki's story is disgusting.
Ok he had a harsh life, but it was because he refused to comply with the only rule of the family.
Correct me if I'm wrong but his dad only cuffed him once in his life and it's enough to make the kid go crazy?
You can't and shouldn't try to justify the murder of a whole family by just being punished to go to the corner.
some people can't be impressed...I mean isn't it clear what he went through...he was a kid...his thoughts were like kids...he just witnessed his dog and his sister death by his own hand...what else do you need .
itz_Aditya28Sep 11, 2021 4:29 AM
Sep 11, 2021 4:23 AM

Jul 2019
UnBouquetin said:

The point of the episode wasn't to make us feel bad about Shigaraki but scared of him, his quirk awakening is supposed to represent the birth of a monster, the symbol of fear. It has also been stated that quirks affect personalities so Shigaraki was probably going to be a villain either way, his dad made things even worse.

Also, feeling bad about a character does not mean justifying their actions, i'm not sure what you mean.
Sep 11, 2021 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
I've always wanted to know Shigaraki's past and why he wanted a world full of destruction!
Today's episode was lit ~!! I won't ever regret watching this anime, ever!!
Sep 11, 2021 4:25 AM

Nov 2020
Well damn, best episode of the season by far. First half was pretty good, with some decent animation despite the art not being all that great. It's when we got to Shiggy's backstory that I got completely absorbed, with that last scene where he loses control of his quirk being one of my favorite scenes in the entire show. Feel so bad for him, and I was surprised by how they made us empathize with his abusive dad too. OST was on point too, with Symbol of Fear and I Don't Kill my Friends being used expertly. Overall, yeah I wish the art were a bit better, but other than that this was a 10/10 episode.
Are ya winning, diners?
Sep 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Aug 2021
UnBouquetin said:
you're seeing it in a teenager/adult perspective, of course you would think that it isn't enough to be crazy but for a child it is. And I'm pretty sure his dad did a lot of things to him both verbally and physically off-screen, you really want to see it and how many times he did it just to know if it's enough to make a kid go crazy? Also accidentally killing a dog and your sister is enough to make someone go crazy unless they aren't a human. Bro what? They were not justifying the murder of a whole family, you really miss the point of his backstory. His dream was to become a hero, of course, he would refuse to follow his dad's rule or anything because that is what he wants. Would you really stop achieving or doing your dream because someone said you shouldn't, if yes then you're weak and pathetic.
27thEiffelSep 11, 2021 4:43 AM
Sep 11, 2021 4:40 AM

May 2020
They totally went all out with Shigaraki this episode, and his backstory is as haunting as it felt like in manga. He completely annihilated his family and even that dog.
Best episode so far, next one will be interesting too.
Softhenic03Dec 4, 2021 2:49 AM
Sep 11, 2021 4:50 AM
May 2021
I get why people say shigaraki is the best new gen antagonist, holy shit
Sep 11, 2021 4:50 AM
Oct 2019
Shimura Tenko Origin!

WTF am i watching....
this is the best episode so far from this Season...
Dog was gone in his hand, sister, and the rest of the family.
the way his mom decaying and want to hug him, man the feel.

What a Dark Backstory for Shigaraki, i love it.

Nana Shimura decision leaving his son causing the birth of a monster called Shigaraki Tomura.
even though Nana Shimura do it for a greater good but every decision always have a butterfly effect.
davidyodo24Sep 11, 2021 5:01 AM
Sep 11, 2021 4:51 AM
Nov 2019
Everyone complaining about the animation and the pacing for the MVA meanwhile my dumbass still thinking how dope it would've been if each members of the LOV did the preview for the next episode instead of Deku
Sep 11, 2021 4:53 AM
Oct 2019
UnBouquetin said:

lmao you can't be serious right?
i think you lost your feeling.
nobody justify it, you are the one who assumed it.
Sep 11, 2021 4:55 AM

Jul 2021
RIP the dog and shigaraki family except his father lol, he deserved that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2021 4:58 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Damn, he must've felt really itchy if its enough to kill the whole family ^~^

smoochie smoochie

Sep 11, 2021 5:08 AM
Jul 2019
[/quote]you're seeing it in a teenager/adult perspective, of course you would think that it isn't enough to be crazy but for a child it is. And I'm pretty sure his dad did a lot of things to him both verbally and physically off-screen, you really want to see it and how many times he did it just to know if it's enough to make a kid go crazy? Also accidentally killing a dog and your sister is enough to make someone go crazy unless they aren't a human. Bro what? They were not justifying the murder of a whole family, you really miss the point of his backstory. His dream was to become a hero, of course, he would refuse to follow his dad's rule or anything because that is what he wants. Would you really stop achieving or doing your dream because someone said you shouldn't, if yes then you're weak and pathetic. [/quote]

Thanks for unnecessary verbal attack at the end. The "follow your dream" is just delusional and telling anyone this even though you don't even have a quirk ( his quirk wasn't awakened yet) is just harming you by making you continue on a road without any future.

About what his father did, the only thing that were showed is making his kid going to the corner each time he talks about heroes, nothing else. His father even says that he went too far the last time when he cuffed shigaraki. Unless the vn/manga shows more, his father never physically abused of his son minus the last time.
And, don't tell you never got punished by your parents in your life. Did you never get scolded because you didn't follow a house rule ? Because you sneaked up at 3 am to play games? Or because you ended up with a terrible grade at school? It's the same thing. You get scolded because you don't follow the house rules.
Also, it's not killing the dog and his sister that made him crazy. If you pay attention enough, he says "I hate them all" before killing his dog. He accidentally activates his quirk BECAUSE he became mad. He just refused to see the truth in front of him and put the blame on a mysterious villain (kinda like Kazutora in Tokyo revengers). He even felt pleasure killing his dad...
Yes he had a sad life, but I won't be ever be able to feel bad for Shigaraki because of what he did and still do now.

Anyways, some people pointed out that the goal of the episode was to make us scared of Shigaraki which I agree.
Sep 11, 2021 5:09 AM

May 2013
I came for the hero academia and all i get is cliche shonen baddies for half a season, can't wait for this arc to be over with.
Sep 11, 2021 5:10 AM
Jul 2019
davidyodo24 said:
UnBouquetin said:

It's mostly the emotional music playing when he's murdering his whole familly that made me think that way.
Sep 11, 2021 5:11 AM

Jan 2013
Based Horikoshi creating the ultimate edgelord, that was a treat.
We are not supposed to feel bad for him and or want him to be redeemed, we just need to understand his character and accept him for what he is, and why he is hecking cute and valid.
Sep 11, 2021 5:13 AM

Feb 2014
I had a good feeling that Shigaraki's backstory would be dark, but I honestly underestimated how dark and graphic his backstory would be. Holy crap...

Seeing him wanting to become a hero was nice, but his father's treatment towards him for that wasn't an easy watch. Sadly, things spiralled out of control and inevitably led to Shigaraki having a meltdown, which caused his powers to activate and kill the family dog. =(

That led to everyone else from his family, his sister first, then his mother and grandparents, before finally venomously shouting "Die!" as he killed his father. Shigaraki's pained face as he did this was powerful and well-detailed.

I do look forward to seeing more of his back-story next week and go into further detail in how he met All-For-One and the things in-between.
Sep 11, 2021 5:17 AM
Oct 2016
Brutal, absolutely brutal. I remember reading this for the first time thinking the same thing I am right now, a mixture of heartbreak and astonishment. Little Tenko Shimura didn't deserve that life. He deserved a loving family who didn't spit on his dreams and ignore his problems. He deserved so much more, the people closest to Tenko failed him at every turn, so it's no wonder that when he was given a crazy power like decay that power just ran wild in his tortured brain. He was such a sweet kid too, playing with the kids in his class that no one else wanted to, making sure they all had fun playing heroes. Calling it a tragedy would be an understatement, that whole family could've done so much better. Even his loving older sister wouldn't be there for Tenko when he needed her. By the time they all realized their mistakes it was far too late, Tenko had already awoken to his mutation of a quirk and couldn't hold back his rage any longer. The poor dog really, Mon-chan loved Tenko and just got caught up in the madness. This isn't even the whole backstory either, we're only at the halfway point. Here is just the origin of how Tenko Shimura life ended as he knew it. Theres still more to see in the past and more to deal with in the present. ReDestro is bearing down with his badass stress accumulation quirk, Gigantomachia is approaching from the outskirts of the city, we're reaching the climax of this arc.
Sep 11, 2021 5:17 AM

Jul 2021
bhaktivinoda said:
I came for the hero academia and all i get is cliche shonen baddies for half a season, can't wait for this arc to be over with.
lmao same

(character limit)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2021 5:19 AM
Oct 2016
shane_nichols said:
inuahsa said:
You must be new here?
Yeah. And it was umderwhelming. Why does it always have to be a tragedy that makes villains go nuts, its just so overdone...

Because that's how real life works. People have messed up childhoods and they become messed up adults. Consider yourself lucky and privileged to have a good childhood
Sep 11, 2021 5:20 AM
Oct 2016
UnBouquetin said:

No one is justifying anything and the author certainly isnt. Just giving you all the information so you can understand how things became the way they are in the present
Sep 11, 2021 5:24 AM
Jul 2019
Dukino said:
UnBouquetin said:

No one is justifying anything and the author certainly isnt. Just giving you all the information so you can understand how things became the way they are in the present

Yeah, that's what others are saying too. I can agree with this.
Sep 11, 2021 5:26 AM
Oct 2019
UnBouquetin said:
davidyodo24 said:

It's mostly the emotional music playing when he's murdering his whole familly that made me think that way.

Oh really the music?
I didn't expect the music is the reason, but okay everyone taste is different.
Sep 11, 2021 5:27 AM
Oct 2019
Dukino said:
shane_nichols said:

Because that's how real life works. People have messed up childhoods and they become messed up adults. Consider yourself lucky and privileged to have a good childhood

Thank You somebody Spitting facts...
Sep 11, 2021 5:39 AM

Aug 2021
you're seeing it in a teenager/adult perspective, of course you would think that it isn't enough to be crazy but for a child it is. And I'm pretty sure his dad did a lot of things to him both verbally and physically off-screen, you really want to see it and how many times he did it just to know if it's enough to make a kid go crazy? Also accidentally killing a dog and your sister is enough to make someone go crazy unless they aren't a human. Bro what? They were not justifying the murder of a whole family, you really miss the point of his backstory. His dream was to become a hero, of course, he would refuse to follow his dad's rule or anything because that is what he wants. Would you really stop achieving or doing your dream because someone said you shouldn't, if yes then you're weak and pathetic. [/quote]

Thanks for unnecessary verbal attack at the end. The "follow your dream" is just delusional and telling anyone this even though you don't even have a quirk ( his quirk wasn't awakened yet) is just harming you by making you continue on a road without any future.

About what his father did, the only thing that were showed is making his kid going to the corner each time he talks about heroes, nothing else. His father even says that he went too far the last time when he cuffed shigaraki. Unless the vn/manga shows more, his father never physically abused of his son minus the last time.
And, don't tell you never got punished by your parents in your life. Did you never get scolded because you didn't follow a house rule ? Because you sneaked up at 3 am to play games? Or because you ended up with a terrible grade at school? It's the same thing. You get scolded because you don't follow the house rules.
Also, it's not killing the dog and his sister that made him crazy. If you pay attention enough, he says "I hate them all" before killing his dog. He accidentally activates his quirk BECAUSE he became mad. He just refused to see the truth in front of him and put the blame on a mysterious villain (kinda like Kazutora in Tokyo revengers). He even felt pleasure killing his dad...
Yes he had a sad life, but I won't be ever be able to feel bad for Shigaraki because of what he did and still do now.

Anyways, some people pointed out that the goal of the episode was to make us scared of Shigaraki which I agree.[/quote]

wow this dude really defending the dad's action. what kind of house rule is never talk about heroes, it's like ruining someone's childhood, when I was a child I am very fan of heroes especially superman and spiderman, if I ever got that kind of house rule, I would be really sad, mad, and might even go crazy who knows. Also, I know that the dog and her sister were not the reason why he goes crazy, I just assume that's what you thought, so I just thought of a counter for it. Also, that wasn't a verbal attack unless your answer for that question is yes lmao
27thEiffelSep 11, 2021 5:51 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

202 by bapaejoget »»
Apr 18, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

193 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 9, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

297 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

144 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 9:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

118 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.