Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2021 2:24 PM

May 2021
The original anime still exists and you can watch it whenever you want. Netflix isn't deleting it from existence and making their live-action show the only piece of Cowboy Bebop media ever. They aren't "ruining it" because they changed Faye's outfit (no shit they did) and Spike's hair isn't green (because that would look goofy in live-action), it's simply a different take on the same story. Let people enjoy things
Avatar: The Last Airbender is an anime
Sep 5, 2021 2:36 PM

Aug 2013
The fandom reserves the right to get ticked off when an adaptation is garbage, especially when the original creator isn't particularly happy with their work. Let people criticize things yo

Edit: I think they nailed Rock so far but Faye looks like some budget star wars character and Spike looks like he has a damn perm... Genuinely scared for how this is going to turn out considering it's only a couple months away
Finku_Sep 5, 2021 2:39 PM
Sep 5, 2021 3:53 PM

Jul 2015
People are rightfully upset, because authors of this adaptation have audacity to think that they know better what fans want, despite being wrong and time again.
When this garbage will inevitably be widely lanbastered, like a metaphorical pigeon playing chess, they will blame "racism", "sexism", or whatever buzzword they'll come up with and proceed to butcher another franchise.

Sep 5, 2021 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
Moist_Violet said:
Finku_ said:
The fandom reserves the right to get ticked off when an adaptation is garbage, especially when the original creator isn't particularly happy with their work. Let people criticize things yo

Edit: I think they nailed Rock so far but Faye looks like some budget star wars character and Spike looks like he has a damn perm... Genuinely scared for how this is going to turn out considering it's only a couple months away
im worried about how they are going to gender Edward because twitter wants her to be NB even tho she is a girl. Hopefully Netflix don’t give in to the twitter fake fans

Well they're listed as reverse trap, androgynous, and tomboy on anidb. So if the adaptation wants to make them a non-binary character then it wouldn't be a stretch. Unless they try to make a political point or virtue signal cause I don't want any of that in Cowboy Bebop lol
Sep 5, 2021 3:58 PM
Jun 2021
It's going to be an adaptation. Adaptations are original takes on a story. If it was just going to be the same story word by word but live action, there'd be no point in watching it, you'd rather just watch the more critically acclaimed counterpart.

Ofcourse it was going to be different, that was always a given.
Sep 5, 2021 5:17 PM
Jul 2021
Honestly live actions have no reason to exist, this one doesn't seem like an exception.
Sep 5, 2021 6:20 PM

May 2021
Moist_Violet said:
Finku_ said:

im worried about how they are going to gender Edward because twitter wants her to be NB even tho she is a girl. Hopefully Netflix don’t give in to the twitter fake fans
Shinichiro Watanabe said himself in an interview that Ed's gender was meaningless, implying Ed is non-binary. So technically if Netflix does assign a gender to Ed it would be going against his vision
Sep 5, 2021 6:22 PM

May 2021
Finku_ said:
Moist_Violet said:

Well they're listed as reverse trap, androgynous, and tomboy on anidb. So if the adaptation wants to make them a non-binary character then it wouldn't be a stretch. Unless they try to make a political point or virtue signal cause I don't want any of that in Cowboy Bebop lol
Ikr because when has Cowboy Bebop ever been political? (Ignore the anti-capitalist message at the end of episode 22, the whole trans thing and how we treat vets like shit in ep 13, and the whole anti-religion message in ep 23)
Sep 5, 2021 6:29 PM

Aug 2013
HakeemP said:
Finku_ said:

Ikr because when has Cowboy Bebop ever been political? (Ignore the anti-capitalist message at the end of episode 22, the whole trans thing and how we treat vets like shit in ep 13, and the whole anti-religion message in ep 23)
I meant more gender politics since I can't go a day without it on social media anymore, but okay go off I guess lmao
Sep 5, 2021 6:30 PM

May 2021
Finku_ said:
HakeemP said:
I meant more gender politics since I can't go a day without it on social media anymore, but okay go off I guess lmao
you don't want Netflix to use Bebop to make political statements yet Shinichiro used Bebop to make plenty of political statements. Stay consistent
Sep 5, 2021 6:31 PM
Oct 2020
I’m skeptical about it but I do feel like people are being a bit too mad about it. If it sucks it sucks. Nothings gonna change about the original so why get so mad about it? At worst, it will be bad, but at least we’ll get some more good music from the original composer for the anime.
Sep 5, 2021 6:33 PM

Aug 2013
HakeemP said:
Finku_ said:
you don't want Netflix to use Bebop to make political statements yet Shinichiro used Bebop to make plenty of political statements. Stay consistent
Pipe down, I didn't say there shouldn't be a political message at all.

We were talking about Edward being non-binary and that wasn't a plot point at any point in the original show. I said I hope they don't get political with it, as in if they choose to make her non-binary or whatever else, make it subtle and not a political statement as that's not true to the show.

You made it about religion and whatever the hell else. You brought it there, not me lol
Sep 5, 2021 6:34 PM

May 2021
Finku_ said:
HakeemP said:

We were talking about Edward being non-binary and that wasn't a plot point at any point in the original show. I said I hope they don't get political with it, as in if they choose to make her non-binary or whatever else, make it subtle and not a political statement as that's not true to the show.

You made it about religion and whatever the hell else. You brought it there, not me lol
why are you telling me to pipe down. I'm literally just writing simple sentences without any insults. I think you're projecting
Sep 5, 2021 6:39 PM

Aug 2013
HakeemP said:
Finku_ said:

why are you telling me to pipe down. I'm literally just writing simple sentences without any insults. I think you're projecting
You've clearly got a bone to pick and I'm not that dude lol took a conversation about the political angle of Edward's gender identity and took it miles beyond that and I'm not gonna play that game man I'm out
Sep 5, 2021 6:40 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
Edward is literally meant to be non-binary though, according to the show's director.
Taken from a 2017 interview with IGN:
IGN: Yeah, there’s Ed as well. He - or Her - I’m still not quite sure...

Shinichiro Watanabe: Its gender is meaningless, we don’t need it.

IGN: Well actually, I’d like to quickly ask about that. Why did you decide for Ed to be non-binary and have no gender, or have their gender be ambiguous?

Shinichiro Watanabe: I wanted to create a character that surpasses humanity. I personally think that he might not even be human, someone from outer space.
"make it subtle and not a political statement"
Right as if they didn't use gender as a political statement in the show at all with Spike, Faye, Gren, etc. Never at all.
Sep 5, 2021 6:43 PM

May 2021
Finku_ said:
HakeemP said:
You've clearly got a bone to pick and I'm not that dude lol took a conversation about the political angle of Edward's gender identity and took it miles beyond that and I'm not gonna play that game man I'm out
Finku_ said:
HakeemP said:
ok.

(word limit hrjisnhdjw)
Sep 5, 2021 6:44 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin my man you're missing my point entirely, Edward is a definite she as defined in multiple anime databases and not tagged as non-binary or anything else. There's a reason there's not a non-binary tag as the show does not make it a major point. I'm simply saying, keep Edward androgynous and the other things her character is tagged as, but if they go all shove it down your throat political with the gender identity of the character, I think it would be dishonest to the source material.

Edward is a tomboy girl, a child, I'm hoping they treat her as such and don't use it as a political spring board since that wasn't the point of her character in the show.

That doesn't mean no politics ever at all, simply just in the case of Edward's gender identity
Sep 5, 2021 6:49 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
@Judevin my man you're missing my point entirely, Edward is a definite she as defined in multiple anime databases and not tagged as non-binary or anything else. There's a reason there's not a non-binary tag as the show does not make it a major point.
I don't understand why you keep bringing up anime databases when the creator himself said that Ed is non-binary. Do the databases know better than the creator now? Because I'm pretty sure they don't know more than the guy that created the series. Seems unseemly.

Finku_ said:
Edward is a tomboy girl, a child, I'm hoping they treat her as such and don't use it as a political spring board since that wasn't the point of her character in the show.
Edward is a child, no "tomboy girl", Edward does not have a guy/girl gender, that's the whole point Watanabe tried to make in the interview, that Edward is quite simply beyond the definition of the binary terms.

But whatever helps you sleep better at night, my guy.
Sep 5, 2021 6:58 PM
Oct 2020
To be frank with you, I’m kinda low-key excited. And of course scared at the same time. It’s a 50/50 situation. I mean it could be...*let me rephrase it* IT COULD BE the next Witcher (it’s a big IF aight ?) orrr (as we’ll probably expected) the next Death Note Netflix. Also, I don’t really care about the controversy with Faye’s actress and what not. I only here for the series itself. If you care any about that stuff and it made you didn’t wanna watch it, that’s ok. More power to you dude. In the end, we still have the anime series in our hands right ?. In fact, I’m betting my ass and hoping that Netflix will be putting it in their streaming service. (Just hope to god, they don’t change the dub).

So, like spike said “whatever happens, happens”.
Sep 5, 2021 7:01 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin I mean I'd appreciate a source on where the creator has said Ed is non-binary because I haven't seen it myself, so all I have left to go with is what's on the multiple anime databases, just like everyone else.
Sep 5, 2021 7:02 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
@Judevin I mean I'd appreciate a source on where the creator has said Ed is non-binary because I haven't seen it myself, so all I have left to go with is what's on the multiple anime databases, just like everyone else.
I did give a source actually, did you even read it?
Sep 5, 2021 7:09 PM

May 2021
Judevin said:
Finku_ said:
I did give a source actually, did you even read it?
this dude's really asking for a source when there's that bigass bright blue link right in the middle of a direct quote from the creator of the show
Sep 5, 2021 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin no I didn't get the notification on mobile so I didn't see it

Even so it's the interviewer that says non-binary not the creator himself. He just says Ed might be from space, or at least larger than life.

Again I'm not against Ed being non-binary, I'm just hoping Netflix doesn't make a point out of it further than the source had taken it. Part of the fun of Edward's character was not clearly defining the gender identity or making a point of it
Sep 5, 2021 7:18 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
Even so it's the interviewer that says non-binary not the creator himself.
Yeah the creator totally didn't say that "gender is meaningless".

Finku_ said:
or at least larger than life.
That's what it means to be "beyond human binary" bro...

Finku_ said:
@Judevin no I didn't get the notification on mobile so I didn't see it
You literally replied to me after reading my post, but somehow didn't get a notification, sure okay.

Finku_ said:
Again I'm not against Ed being non-binary, I'm just hoping Netflix doesn't make a point out of it further than the source had taken it. Part of the fun of Edward's character was not clearly defining the gender identity or making a point of it
That's a different story, they can get an actually non-binary person to play Ed, and it still wouldn't make any difference because Ed's role is not related to gender. Netflix can 100% screw it up, or they can make it like the next Witcher as KekoaRobot said in #20, that has absolutely nothing to do with Ed's gender. So people getting upset that Netflix is making Ed non-binary even though Ed literally IS non-binary is stupidly hilarious.
Sep 5, 2021 7:21 PM

Sep 2013
Has there ever been a good live adaptation of an anime? I've only seen a couple of them and they were all terrible.
There's no need for all this tension.
Sep 5, 2021 7:22 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin ight this is my last post because at the end of the day this is just an anime forum, but "beyond human binary" is not a quote from the creator at any point, if anything he suggests Ed might be an alien.

And for the last time, I don't have anything against Ed being non-binary but there's nothing to say that they are and it isn't catalogued or quoted anywhere as being that way.

What I have been saying from the beginning is that even if they do decide to adapt Ed as a non-binary character that they keep it as subtle as they did in the original source because that was the very charm of Ed's character and Netflix is prone to making political statements. And go make Ed a political statement would go against the source and would take away the charm from the character. I love Ed in the original and I hope they don't fuck it up.
Sep 5, 2021 7:29 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
@Judevin ight this is my last post because at the end of the day this is just an anime forum, but "beyond human binary" is not a quote from the creator at any point, if anything he suggests Ed might be an alien.
Do you really think aliens have genders like male and female, because that's what "beyond human binary" (my quote) or "larger than life" (your quote) mean, that aliens cannot have human gender, they do not follow gender binaries like humans, which is why "gender is meaningless". It's literally what he says, I have no idea how you're doing such mental gymnastics to make assumptions even though you're saying the exact same thing as me. If Ed is alien then how is binary male/female.

Finku_ said:
What I have been saying from the beginning is that even if they do decide to adapt Ed as a non-binary character that they keep it as subtle as they did in the original source because that was the very charm of Ed's character and Netflix is prone to making political statements. And go make Ed a political statement would go against the source and would take away the charm from the character. I love Ed in the original and I hope they don't fuck it up.
Also what I literally said, it can be a terrible adaptation and I would give them flak for that too. But making Ed non-binary is not a political statement, it's people (like you) who make it one. Especially for a series that is full of political commentary.

Either way, let's just hope the series is good.
Sep 5, 2021 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin the creator does not feel that Ed's gender identity is important, nor do I. I'm hoping that Netflix respects the creators intention and does not use Ed as some sort of non-binary prop as that would ruin the charm of the character. I feel like that makes sense.

Edit: I don't think we're disagreeing on anything beyond that you feel the creator is labeling Ed as non-binary whereas I do not, and either way it doesn't matter. My point is I would like Netflix to pay as little attention to it as the creator did, that was a large part of what made Ed so charming.
Sep 5, 2021 7:40 PM

Mar 2020
Finku_ said:
you feel the creator is labeling Ed as non-binary whereas I do not
I am not sure how I'm feeling anything when he says "gender is meaningless because Ed is an alien" which clearly implies that Ed isn't a male/female binary, which makes Ed non-binary. I would say that you are doing some extreme mental gymnastics to justify your position to force a binary on them because I have no idea why. How the fuck does an alien become male/female bro. Think Finku Think, stop feeling and assuming shit, and think logically. Non-binary is not a political statement, stop politicizing it lmfao.

Finku_ said:
@Judevin ight this is my last post because at the end of the day this is just an anime forum
Also I thought that was your last post. LOL
Sep 5, 2021 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
@Judevin yeah I'm out, I've made it pretty clear that I'm okay with Ed being non-binary, and that while it's not inherently a political thing, Netflix has a track record of pushing politics through their media.

I even used they/them pronouns when discussing Ed through nearly the entirety of this, only referring to them as she once maybe since that's what's in the databases. So in no way am I trying to enforce a binary on them.

I'm not sure what your point is here or what you're looking for, I'm simply asking, as I have made clear several times, that Netflix does not adapt Ed as non-binary and make it a political statement, as that's not true to the original and they have a track record of doing those exact things. It's really nothing more or less than exactly that. Have a good one lol
Sep 5, 2021 8:17 PM

Aug 2019
So many brainlet takes in this thread.
The whole existence of this thread is too defensive and comes out as desperate or even as shilling.

Netflix is trash, the only thing they do is "white people" beloved franchises (Death Note and Witcher come to mind) , by forcing all that stupid "white people" shit like gender and race fetishism / obsession.

"Director said Ed's gender is meaningless, that clearly says that Ed is LGBTQWERTY YASS QWEEN SLAY" lmao.

When he said "His gender is meaningless" he probably was too tired and annoyed at the IGN cretin forcing him to talk about gender politics.

His reply even sounds like "just stfu, dude, I won't say she's LGBT" lol.
Sep 6, 2021 11:16 AM

May 2021
AiNoMukidashi said:
The whole existence of this thread is too defensive and comes out as desperate or even as shilling.

Netflix is trash, the only thing they do is "white people" beloved franchises (Death Note and Witcher come to mind) , by forcing all that stupid "white people" shit like gender and race fetishism / obsession.

"Director said Ed's gender is meaningless, that clearly says that Ed is LGBTQWERTY YASS QWEEN SLAY" lmao.

When he said "His gender is meaningless" he probably was too tired and annoyed at the IGN cretin forcing him to talk about gender politics.

that's a nice projection but Watanabe's long history of including gender politics into his work says otherwise
Sep 6, 2021 12:51 PM

Aug 2019
HakeemP said:
AiNoMukidashi said:

that's a nice projection but Watanabe's long history of including gender politics into his work says otherwise

Of course, Watanabe is a sane and talented person, he's portrayed varied casts of characters. His characters feel genuine and sincere, not forced like Netflix / Hollywood trash which is just ticking the boxes (Black check, gay check and so on) to sell more.

That's why he masterfully dodged the IGN idiot's bait. He's not into megacorporation / white people's gender (or race) fetishism.
Sep 6, 2021 1:25 PM
Feb 2017
Show me 1 live action that lived to the anime show or the story withoutfuccing something along the way and was successful
Every live action i watched so far was a far cry from expected results and only a downgrade of the story....the producer doesnt give a fucc what the viewers want...only using the name to get more watches on the first view of the series so its okay if the show is shitty
Sep 6, 2021 1:45 PM

May 2021
TaReq_Dwairi said:
Show me 1 live action that lived to the anime show or the story withoutfuccing something along the way and was successful
Every live action i watched so far was a far cry from expected results and only a downgrade of the story....the producer doesnt give a fucc what the viewers want...only using the name to get more watches on the first view of the series so its okay if the show is shitty
TaReq_Dwairi said:
The live-action Ichi the Killer movie from 2001 is a masterpiece
Sep 6, 2021 1:55 PM
Feb 2017
HakeemP said:
TaReq_Dwairi said:
TaReq_Dwairi said:

I agree on that onr but what i want is something that was made to anime before live action
Sep 6, 2021 1:56 PM

May 2021
TaReq_Dwairi said:
HakeemP said:

I agree on that onr but what i want is something that was made to anime before live action
The 2017 Blade of the Immortal movie
Sep 6, 2021 3:33 PM
Jul 2020
HakeemP said:
The original anime still exists and you can watch it whenever you want. Netflix isn't deleting it from existence and making their live-action show the only piece of Cowboy Bebop media ever. They aren't "ruining it" because they changed Faye's outfit (no shit they did) and Spike's hair isn't green (because that would look goofy in live-action), it's simply a different take on the same story. Let people enjoy things
Will it be as shit as we got all the others, live actions have a bad rep, and the changes they did change the own story so I don't think it will be any good and I ain't taking about the outfit changes since I am fine with that, the story changes, in its own right just call it a different show since ik it won't be anything like the og Cowboy Bebop
SimplyZeroSep 6, 2021 3:39 PM
Sep 6, 2021 3:39 PM
Jul 2020
Moist_Violet said:
Finku_ said:

im worried about how they are going to gender Edward because twitter wants her to be NB even tho she is a girl. Hopefully Netflix don’t give in to the twitter fake fans who most likely want to turn it into a political thing
Ed story is my second favourite in the bebep crew and if they change her story it won't be the same, if they change that as Eds gender plays alot into her story who knows what else they will change
Sep 6, 2021 3:39 PM
Jul 2020
Moist_Violet said:
Finku_ said:

im worried about how they are going to gender Edward because twitter wants her to be NB even tho she is a girl. Hopefully Netflix don’t give in to the twitter fake fans who most likely want to turn it into a political thing
Ed story is my second favourite in the bebep crew and if they change her story it won't be the same, if they change that as Eds gender plays alot into her story who knows what else they will change
Sep 6, 2021 3:42 PM
Jul 2020
Finku_ said:
Moist_Violet said:

she does act like a tomboy due to her dad always wanting a boy, and that's why I say she stays a girl as her story was very impactful on me, and changing her gender really changes everything on it and ruins the back story
Sep 6, 2021 3:49 PM

Aug 2013
SimplyZero said:
Finku_ said:

she does act like a tomboy due to her dad always wanting a boy, and that's why I say she stays a girl as her story was very impactful on me, and changing her gender really changes everything on it and ruins the back story
yes I hope Netflix doesn't use Ed as a prop either, I think the original creator nailed the character design and I hope Netflix stays faithful to it :)
Sep 6, 2021 5:53 PM
Aug 2021
It's OK to create a New live Action series. Personally, i believe that is important to know about the story of this adaptation. If it's a copy of the anime but with real actors, the adaptation is an error only made to create shitposting on Twitter.
If the live Action series takes the characters and made a completely different story only following the idea of the anime then it'll be OK and interesting.
In the first case you are copying the anime badly (ignoring faye, how am i suposed to believe that Jet is a retired cop if the actor is less than 40 years old)

Pd: i don't speak english, sorry for the posible mistakes.
Sep 7, 2021 4:00 AM
Jan 2021
The original creator said that if we ever had any complaints it won't be his fault because Netflix is in creative control , also the reason they are getting hate is how they changed Faye (instead of talking about her outfit they start calling her body unrealistic and ignored all the great cosplayers) and then saying all the stupid stuff about " Male gaze " while the actor of Faye playing the victim card and changing the race of other characters , also they are making an American comic book for Cowboy bebop . They only care about woke culture and money , I couldn't give 2 fucks about the series but using the name of the og series to make money is wrong .
Sep 7, 2021 7:27 AM

Feb 2020
TaReq_Dwairi said:
HakeemP said:

I’ve heard the Gintama live action is pretty good.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Sep 20, 2021 9:01 PM
Nov 2017
Not a longtime fan. Literally watching it now after hearing about it for years. Live action is gonna be shit and people have the right to be mad about it for plenty of reasons. Including changing Faye's character and look which is easily duplicatable and not even something THAT revealing. And if that was the issue they still could of easily just made the shorts a tad longer and covered the midriff.

Netflix has. A history of bad live-action adaptations that take all the wit and charm out of something. And if it's going to be called cowboy bebop and exist it's going to color people's oppinions on the show and be a blemish on the legacy of an iconic and beloved series.

People can be mad and writing a post getting offended because people are upset about something they love being tarnished just kind of makes you come off pretty badly.
Nov 7, 2021 9:55 PM
Mar 2021
Moist_Violet said:
Finku_ said:

I didn't see Ed on the cast list on Wiki so I was worried they weren't gonna cast Ed at all. So I'll be happy just to have Ed tbh. But after their FMA and Death Note adaptationa, I am forcefully stopping myself from having any hope for this, that way I can't get disappointed....

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

622 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

206 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.