Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 4, 2021 5:49 PM
Jan 2020
To calibrate, i came in to this show from the recommendation of shows like Evangelion, i find Code Geass story is no where near as deep as my expectation compare to EVG, the concept of an Alternate history time line that was introduced to me is not that interesting either. The Art is old and the style of it is really the type that is not appeal to many. All of these point actually don't bother me much tho, i don't mind something old or different.

Atleast the plots, the actions, the characters and their's development will be good to keep me station right? well no, Lelouch isn't quite the genius people praise him to be, Suzaku is a dumbass, Code Geass also feature tons of flaw compare to the other classic anime. The action? well it is ok, the tactical aspect is engaging at time also is the comedy .i'll give it that ,but that about it.
For me the BIGEST problem of all is how cliche the story was,it's not even hard to guess what happen next, like literally, i jump from ep 9 to ep 23-25 and the story progress exactly how i predicted in my head,

Off season topic minus point

Im not hating badly on the show, it just it's my opinion that is just a arverage - fine show at best. My jugdes are Code Geass is an "OK" show that is good on the 1st run, not worth it on 2nd run and may not age well over time.

Alright, i think sum up most of my opinion on the show, feel free to share your's too, now keep in mind that we all have difference preferences and tastes so no need for any one to be rude and childish. Thank you and sorry for my english.
RegionsRulesSep 4, 2021 6:05 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 4, 2021 6:00 PM

Aug 2013
The biggest problem with calling old shows cliché and predictable is that you fail to see that it's because these shows were some of, if not THE first to do it. How do you call something cliché when it's the very precedent for that cliché.

Older animes are best enjoyed when you remember the context of when they came up, and don't try to hold them in the same light as modern masterpieces, it's just unfair.

We don't compare the athletes of the past eras to modern ones, we don't compare silent films to modern movies, I'm not sure why we compare vintage anime to modern.

Before I get piled on because there's no direct comparison to modern animes in this post, the topics of cliché and predictability only stem from watching modern day works and moving backwards.
Finku_Sep 4, 2021 6:03 PM
Sep 4, 2021 6:10 PM
Jan 2020
I mean there are others that came before Code Geass that feature similar stuff, so to say i have to wash my brain of what i wash before is like really? what is the point here?
BUT if in order to watch the show i have to wash my brain then what the point also, if every body do that the term 'cliche' wouldn't be exist at all
Sep 4, 2021 6:11 PM
Mar 2019
Jolmood96 said:
One of the most overrated shows, doesn’t deserve its rating.
Fuck y’all lelouch dickriders

Ay yo chill man , we havin a mature conversation here man, no need to attack anyone man , come on man
Sep 4, 2021 6:32 PM
Feb 2021
I disagree and respect your opinion but one question

Why did you put a question mark in the title? It makes it sound like you are unsure about your opinion
Sep 4, 2021 6:38 PM

Nov 2007
I agree. Code Geass isn't really the first show to do any of the stuff it does. I thought season 1 was enjoyable but not really anything too special, I appreciated it as.a work of entertainment and for its visual style (other than the character designs, which I don't like). Season 2 was much worse, and I only really stuck with it to find out about the Geass. The end I think just shows how superficial the show is as a political drama. But if you talk about the show that way people say "you're taking it too seriously." How else am I supposed to read the end of the show? Just because some parts of the show are comedy doesn't mean the whole show is not sometimes obviously taking itself seriously.
Sep 4, 2021 6:39 PM

Sep 2020
tru, it do be kinda booty tho
Sep 4, 2021 7:08 PM
Dec 2020
Pros of Code Geass:
a) Lelouch- one of the best anime characters ever
b) great plot and philosophical themes of the story
c) one of the greatest endings ever
d) good action scenes

Cons:
a) side characters (Shirley,Kallen, Nunullay, etc.) were mediocre (especially Suzaku was an asshole)
b) too much of high school bullshit which was irrelevant to the main story
c) very unorganised in story construction (R2 was a complete mess , if it weren't for the ending the series would be in trash-bin) and it destroyed the plot
d) the mecha element didn't appeal to me
e) and don't forget Nina Einstein 😂
Nietzsche_707Sep 4, 2021 7:13 PM
Sep 4, 2021 7:58 PM
Jan 2021
Out of topic but what does (>w°) mean?
You know you see it attached with the post
Sep 4, 2021 8:05 PM
Jan 2021
Eh; I don’t really like comparisons when it comes to anime. Every form of media should be appreciated for what it is before comparing it to another. Code Geass is fun, Lelouch is smart, and the fights are fun. It was great! But its not perfection.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 4, 2021 8:34 PM
Jul 2021
I liked the plot,just I can't like anyone except lelouch and the pacing could be better.An intelligent villain would be good.
Sep 4, 2021 8:46 PM
Apr 2021
Arghya_707 said:
Pros of Code Geass:
a) Lelouch- one of the best anime characters ever
b) great plot and philosophical themes of the story
c) one of the greatest endings ever
d) good action scenes

Cons:
a) side characters (Shirley,Kallen, Nunullay, etc.) were mediocre (especially Suzaku was an asshole)
b) too much of high school bullshit which was irrelevant to the main story
c) very unorganised in story construction (R2 was a complete mess , if it weren't for the ending the series would be in trash-bin) and it destroyed the plot
d) the mecha element didn't appeal to me
e) and don't forget Nina Einstein 😂

This is the best summary of the show I heard most of the haters tend to ignore the pros.

For me the mecha element didn't appeal either but it wasn't a con.

Point C is the exact reason why the show doesn't appeal for some people

A remake without altering the story and Lelouch character much and making the show look dark so that it resonates with its theme would be awesome.

But I don't want them to spoil it.
Sep 4, 2021 9:00 PM
Jan 2021
AwokenStroken said:
bruh you should actually try to finish even the first season of it before you get to make that call
Sep 4, 2021 9:02 PM

Sep 2020
oddeyez said:
AwokenStroken said:
bruh you should actually try to finish even the first season of it before you get to make that call
well maybe i dont wanna because it was too booty
Sep 4, 2021 9:03 PM

Jun 2020
I wouldn't say it's bad tbh, it's just not a masterpiece
it's great tho
Sep 4, 2021 9:12 PM
Jan 2021
AwokenStroken said:
oddeyez said:
I'm betting you're a DragonBall fan
Sep 4, 2021 9:20 PM

Sep 2020
oddeyez said:
AwokenStroken said:
I'm betting you're a DragonBall fan

And I'm betting that You're attempting to de-validate my opinion because we don't agree on something so pointless, like grow up dude.
Sep 4, 2021 9:26 PM

Jan 2018
You watch Code Geass if you want to see Lelouch annihilate every one, not for its deepness because apparently there is none. It's like Death Note but Light doesn't have any worthy opponent.
Sep 4, 2021 9:48 PM

May 2021
True, it was a fun ride, but looking back at it, it was quite a mess. Though I really like Lelouch, he's just fun to watch. He is the reason I still like it.
Sep 4, 2021 9:55 PM
Jun 2020
Like Eva, I gave Code Geass a 9 because as much as I loved it, I’m every aspect it is a monstrously flawed show. Gotta love it though just something about it’s energy.
Sep 4, 2021 10:00 PM

Jan 2020
I agree that Lelouch isn't the genius that people make him out to be, if you enter Code Geass with people telling you it's similar to Death Note (Like how I started watching it), you'll be disappointed.

Although I don't get the prediction part, that's a pretty broad and non-specific prediction and most people probably reached it very early. I would've believed it's predictable if you foreseen things that were meant as twists

I completely agree that the beginning of the 2nd season was pretty meh, It really felt like they didn't know how to start the story again so they just threw stuff at the viewer

However the biggest thing I disagree on is the ending, Lelouch wanted for the people to live happily and in peace, and him trying to better the world as a hated leader isn't something he strives for, the idea is that if Lelouch becamse another hated leader who reached his position in a dirty way, there's bound to be another normal citizen (Like Lelouch) to take him down, and the cycle of dirtying your hands continues until someone basically gets all of the world's dirt in their hands, and dies.

Lelouch was basically his own judge.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 4, 2021 10:33 PM
Jul 2021
[Spoilers] I enjoyed it a lot but I will admit that it has issues that could be more obvious or annoying on a rewatch. It's pretty personal but I don't like how C's world devalues the ending. It also defeats the purpose of geass immortality. There is filler like the cat episode and marianne's geass power is a plot device.. I initially had thought of it as a masterpiece but not really anymore.
Sep 4, 2021 10:48 PM
Jun 2021
I thought that season 1 was really good but God damn did i hate Nina if she wasn't in the show it would be basically a masterpiece there were also another few things that bugged me but it was 90% Nina I dunno why
Sep 4, 2021 11:49 PM
Feb 2021
Dude why is it bad when sth is confusing and gets explained after 2 episodes like the beginning in s2? And btw you really dont know the "true Ending".

Sep 5, 2021 2:33 AM
Apr 2020
RegionsRules said:
To calibrate, i came in to this show from the recommendation of shows like Evangelion, i find Code Geass story is no where near as deep as my expectation compare to EVG, the concept of an Alternate history time line that was introduced to me is not that interesting either. The Art is old and the style of it is really the type that is not appeal to many. All of these point actually don't bother me much tho, i don't mind something old or different.

Atleast the plots, the actions, the characters and their's development will be good to keep me station right? well no, Lelouch isn't quite the genius people praise him to be, Suzaku is a dumbass, Code Geass also feature tons of flaw compare to the other classic anime. The action? well it is ok, the tactical aspect is engaging at time also is the comedy .i'll give it that ,but that about it.
For me the BIGEST problem of all is how cliche the story was,it's not even hard to guess what happen next, like literally, i jump from ep 9 to ep 23-25 and the story progress exactly how i predicted in my head,

Im not hating badly on the show, it just it's my opinion that is just a arverage - fine show at best. My jugdes are Code Geass is an "OK" show that is good on the 1st run, not worth it on 2nd run and may not age well over time.

Alright, i think sum up most of my opinion on the show, feel free to share your's too, now keep in mind that we all have difference preferences and tastes so no need for any one to be rude and childish. Thank you and sorry for my english.
eva stans cant appreciate something not weird and not focused on depression, y'all lackin frfr
Sep 5, 2021 2:36 AM

Jun 2016
I'm a gundam fan so I'm obligated by law to consider code geass an average mecha show so I agree.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 5, 2021 2:38 AM
Apr 2020
Yes, exactly how I feel about this show. Also, I don't understand how this show can be clever in some moments, but so stupid in others.

Ending is really the only "ok" thing in the second season plot, so I don't understand why everyone considers it to be a masterpiece, there are so much better animes.
Sep 5, 2021 2:51 AM

Mar 2020
I don't remember it enough to analize but I agree it's not that good. I don't think it was cliché or predictable tho. It had some surprising twists for sure.

I think the first season was pretty good (no masterpiece tho) but I did get annoyed by Lelouch more and more as the story progressed. He just made some really dumb decisions, not stuff a genious would do...
Also I really hated the Euphemia thing, it was just so dumb lmao
Also hated Suzaku.
And the fact that it felt like Lelouch had a whole ass harem.
The show was kinda all over the place, shounen? shoujo? harem? mecha? philosophical? How about all of that at once? No, please...

Then the second season was just a complete mess, a trainwreck. The ending didn't save it in my eyes, it wasn't as fantastic as people make it out to be, plus at that point I hated the show so much that I literally wouldn't have cared whatever happens.

By the way at the end of the anime it was hinted at that

Xerx62Sep 5, 2021 3:42 AM
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Sep 5, 2021 3:35 AM

Jun 2020
I watched it long back so I have forgotten most of the plot holes. I agree, this series is not great.
Second season was full of plot holes.
Sep 5, 2021 3:50 AM
Apr 2021
RegionsRules said:

I agree, the show is VERY overrated
Sep 5, 2021 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
I've watched this as a kid and still remember the highlights of the story. Comparing it to Eva is pretty dumb tbh, like the themes and appeal aren't even similar. Cliche and predictable is like: what? The direction of the story was given from the first few episodes, there's nothing to predict there. Unless you predicted the "events" that lead to it? Just because a concept overlap like bestfriends fighting each other makes it cliche? CG has a lot of similarities to Death Note, the most note worthy is that their second half was a car crash but the former perfectly paralleled park while the latter just crashed. Still, people love them regardless of the flaws, they choose to see the highlights instead of the questionable parts, which is why they're highly regarded in the community. I can't believe someone would actually rate erased 8 and this a 6 and 4, tough times.
Sep 5, 2021 5:24 AM
Feb 2015
RegionsRules said:

Anime are subjective. How we view them comes from what we like, what we have seen previously, what elements touch us in the story, nostalgia, similar experiences or whatever and so many different stuff. An anime I consider a masterpiece could be trash in your eyes. I like code geass for example, I don't particularly like hxh or Evangelion, shows that are widely appreciated, I could even call them overatted as well but that's the point. Everything is subjective, I might have had a different opinion if I saw them in a different state of mind,time. This is convo is useless. It's like arguing if a food is tasty or not. Not everybody has to like the same things. You didn't enjoy it?
Fine go ahead rate it and move on.
That's how I see it. All love btw I'm trying my best to right in English, hopefully you can make sense of what I wrote.
Sep 5, 2021 5:27 AM
Jun 2021
RegionsRules said:

code geass is great but not a masterpiece like people make it out to be. Evangelion is definitely the best mecha anime.
Sep 5, 2021 6:37 AM
Apr 2021
Boobsftw said:
You watch Code Geass if you want to see Lelouch annihilate every one, not for its deepness because apparently there is none. It's like Death Note but Light doesn't have any worthy opponent.

There is no deepness that was funny .
Sep 5, 2021 7:56 AM
Jan 2021
I agree , code geass is fine but not " the greatest anime of all time " . It is okay to not like this show and ignore all the elitists . Suzaku is a dumbass with plot armor , this show has like 2-3 likable characters , season 2's opening is a mess , the mechs are boring .
Sep 5, 2021 8:04 AM
Jan 2020
BanzaiAlex said:
I disagree and respect your opinion but one question

Why did you put a question mark in the title? It makes it sound like you are unsure about your opinion

Thanks and well let say that the question mark represent an open sate, that's my kind of personality atleast, i don't budge in to things with a stubbornness attitude like some kind of teenager, instead the question stand there and if anyone was to proven me wrong with a senseable argument would even may changed my mind.

Usually only things that i absolutely sure is right or expertise in my field of work that i will defend at what ever cost. But this is people taste and opinion, no one can force any one on this subject.

Unrelated but my field irl is HR, the job main core is to understand another human behavior and thoughts then change them positively, even then we know that there are many types of people and many kind of different subject so forcing something to some one that rejected it is futile (fexible), why not understand them 1st and make our choice?. The job suited my personel.
RegionsRulesSep 5, 2021 8:07 AM
Sep 5, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2021
Yeah, it's average. It says a lot about the anime community in general that such bad writing as Code Geass is generally considered a masterpiece

best signature
Sep 5, 2021 9:33 AM
Jun 2020
Of course it's old bc it was aired in the 2000's and it's you can say it's cliché if you watch some lots of 2010's anime that is closer related to that type of genre or story.
Sep 5, 2021 9:36 AM
Aug 2020
There was a huge amount of plot holes and cliches. But I got to admit, those cliches enabled the series to pivot to intense and enjoyable arcs and events. Although there were many times when I was irritated at the characters and the ways on how events unfolded, I still enjoyed the series very much.

Anime is both an art and a form of entertainment. As a form of art,, It was average. However, as an entertainment, it was great.
PrajoldSep 5, 2021 9:40 AM
Sep 5, 2021 11:19 AM
May 2021
Tizz04 said:
RegionsRules said:

how are you gonna rate code geas a 4 and high-school dxd a 6?makes no sense
Shinzo Sasageyo
Sep 5, 2021 1:44 PM
Apr 2021
So, about Lelouch not being that genius, you may be comparing him to other geniuses characters, like L or Kira. I personally think that Lelouch is a "different" kind of genius, because he may not be the best at deductions or discovering something, he is the kind of genius in being a commander, Lelouch is perfect in understanding a battlefield and the enemies position, and how to counter them, this is very well ilutrated is his skills at chess.
Sep 5, 2021 1:46 PM
Apr 2021
Ichiatouffy said:
Tizz04 said:
how are you gonna rate code geas a 4 and high-school dxd a 6?makes no sense
Personal Opinion it doesn’t have to make sense
Sep 5, 2021 2:15 PM
Mar 2020
I agree, I think there was a lot of hype around the show that kept my expectations high when watching it, so even though there was enjoyment, I was always waiting for something bigger. I can understand why people like it, it was definitely revolutionary for it's time, but the idea that Lelouch is a genius above anyone else in the anime world is an overstep. He would make impulsive decisions and didn't utilize his power in the best way, like with the Shirley situation. The show also has alot of ex-machina in the plot development, like things happened because they happened, without a need for explanation. I do think if I watched this show without pretense, and without the hype, it would have been more enjoyable.
Sep 5, 2021 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Hey it also felt very average to me, among all those 50 episodes, I could atleast enjoy watching the last 9 episodes eventho they were boring sometimes as well. Previous 41 episodes literally made me fall asleep
Sep 6, 2021 1:50 PM
Feb 2017
First of all...wich anime did u compare it to get that code geass is a cliche?
War is embodement of history from the birth of earth to the end of times so am waiting ur answer now
Sep 10, 2021 11:40 PM
Apr 2020
I loved both seasons of CG but I'll try to be unbiased.
Firstly I don't think Eva and Code Geass should be used are recc. for each other as Eva dives too deep into the psychological aspects and also has no political war.
I'll ignore the artstyle as its a wholly subjective thing.
The plot was simple imo. The whole thing always revolves around Lelouch and its something we need to accept. The characters were not mediocre for me for 2 reasons: a) They had less focused screen time (Kallen and Rivalz were always there but they were hardly the focus of the moment) which is a good thing because their personalities or ideologies don't change much. If the ideologies of a character are not challenged over time then he/she will not have (doesn't need) much development.
b) They were normal. They all had their own problems (Kallens mom , Mileys marriage , Rolo trying to find a family etc.) which were all very normal and realistic.

About Lelouch, I agree with you. He is not that genius who can do everything neither is he very smart. What I really love about him is his dramatic nature and his ideologies. He also has some great character development but that may just be me. Another thing that he has is he understands people around him quite easily (For example when he predicts what actions Suzaku would take given his nature) of course this doesn't apply every time as we see him make a lot mistakes as well (with Cornelia and Scheizel).
I don't like him because he always has a plan , I like him because he makes another plan after failing miserably. He follows through with his ideology.

About the story being cliche , does it really create that much of a problem?
In your example you say Lelouch and best friend Suzaku fighting over ideals was predictable and yes it was but it did not take away the enjoyment. In fact the Lelouch-Suzaku dynamic is one of the best things in season 1.

In the end , I feel like Code Geass delivered everything that I expected it would.
"Who am I ? Where do I come from ? Where am I going ? That's all I want to think about"
-Saikawa Sohei
Sep 11, 2021 1:08 AM

Feb 2021
That's right. I found this show very shallow and the worst mecha anime I've ever watched. Lelouch isn't even that genius and some of the characters are just so annoying
Sep 19, 2021 9:22 AM
Jun 2020
You hurted my ass off 🥺😭😭😭
Sep 20, 2021 6:54 PM

Jul 2021
I also think so .. the problem is that there are some mindgames in the show so obviously i would search for logic then it becomes logic less after sometime
And lelouch being saved at the last minute by a plot armoir became so boring after a couple of times
Sep 21, 2021 8:36 PM
Feb 2021
Don't forget they totally wasted the potentially greatest Code Geass characters: The Knights of the Round, who likely had the political influence to change things from the inside since most of them were canonically sympathetic and all held more power than the common aristocrat. If you look into the history of the series, you'll find that Sunrise did all they could to sabotage it. Ultimately, Lelouch became the one true Savior so the fandom could keep worshipping him despite him being a hypocritical psycho I almost hate as much as Suzaku.

And Zero Requiem is so absurdly naïve. Lelouch may truly be one of the dumbest anime characters of all time!

Look up Monica Krushevsky and you'll actually find something to like about the series and realize it didn't have to be so one-dimensional. Polish Twin Tail Supremacy! :-)
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chilli-Kun - Apr 11, 2008

276 by CobraNotKatsura »»
Yesterday, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Feb 22, 2008

122 by shakinfuture2 »»
Apr 11, 4:51 AM

» Code Geass is an omnipandering anime ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 3

69 by AnimSr »»
Mar 31, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Feb 18, 2007

142 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Crystal - Feb 7, 2007

175 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.