Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 2, 2021 7:00 AM
Jun 2021
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2021 7:02 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
I didnt like her either but i didnt pay that much attention to her . I found her a bit annoying tho, but i feel like shes supposed to be portrayed this way
โ™ก

smoochie smoochie

Sep 2, 2021 7:22 AM
Aug 2021
I thought she was really annoying and unlikable but I'm not you, like what you like
Sep 2, 2021 7:28 AM

Sep 2016
No, you don't need to like her as long as you don't let that hatred cloud your view of her as a character, what you said are her personality traits that are very well shown in the movie and I particularly love it, not all characters need to be good people or altruists, but about hating her it's ok, I guess you're not the only one.
Sep 2, 2021 7:33 AM
May 2021
randomnoakuma said:
She was the one character designed for the viewers to hate. She served her purpose if she made you feel that way
I don't think she was designed to hate. She was the only character who didn't pity nishimiya because of her disability and treated her like any other person after time skip. And also in childhood, first she tried to be nice to nishimiya but then nishimiya started clinging to her and Ueno was also a child and she didn't wanted to become her friend and that's okay. It's just because after the accident she hits nishimiya everyone started to hate her but i think she was treating nishimiya as a normal person. Nishimiya also realise that it was her fault that's why she wanted to make up with Ueno.
Sep 2, 2021 7:37 AM

May 2020
I don't particularly hate her or like her. Imo her character can be interpreted in different ways. She is the most complex character after Shoya.

How I see it is that to her it didn't matter if Shouko was deaf or not, and I think most of the people who defend her saying that she did what she did coz she loves Shoya, also feel the same way. Even if Shouko wasn't deaf or it was a completely different person, she still would have treated her the same way as long as Shoya did too. And I liked that aspect of her character. At the end of the movie we can see that her attitude towards Shouko is changing, she even started learning sign language, that way we can see that she is also trying to redeem herself in her own ways, which is why some people are willing to forgive her, I think Shouko would've done the same.

Who I hate the most is Kawai, she is the most self-centered and manipulative person.

"I'd rather my heart stopped than lose what's most important to me.
Even when I'm old and my spine is bent...my soul's got to be straight." - Gintoki

May 2021
Lyrexx said:
I don't particularly like her but I also doesn't hate her because I'm present time she was the only one who didn't see shoujo as a disabled person.
Jul 2021
Lyrexx said:

It doesn’t really change her character either way, but you should really read the manga. They cut out several important things in the movie. The manga was way better. I like Naoka though. She’s a bitch, but she’s at least upfront about it I guess. And I mean, she fits more with Shoya than Shoko does in my opinion. He’s probably not good enough for Shoko, and their relationship’s pretty much built around guilt. It’s really fragile. She’s a bitch though, so I understand why she’s very hated
Sep 2, 2021 7:42 AM
Jul 2021
Mayora_oji13 said:
I don't particularly hate her or like her. Imo her character can be interpreted in different ways. She is the most complex character after Shoya.

How I see it is that to her it didn't matter if Shouko was deaf or not, and I think most of the people who defend her saying that she did what she did coz she loves Shoya, also feel the same way. Even if Shouko wasn't deaf or it was a completely different person, she still would have treated her the same way as long as Shoya did too. And I liked that aspect of her character. At the end of the movie we can see that her attitude towards Shouko is changing, she even started learning sign language, that way we can see that she is also trying to redeem herself in her own ways, which is why some people are willing to forgive her, I think Shouko would've done the same.

Who I hate the most is Kawai, she is the most self-centered and manipulative person.

Yeah fr Kawai was the most unlikeable character in the story for me. She was really narcissistic and manipulative
Sep 2, 2021 8:05 AM
Jun 2021
Jester_809 said:
I thought she was really annoying and unlikable but I'm not you, like what you like

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by that?
Sep 2, 2021 8:06 AM
Jun 2021
randomnoakuma said:
She was the one character designed for the viewers to hate. She served her purpose if she made you feel that way

I guess so but I still kinda feel like at the end they wanted us to like her
Sep 2, 2021 8:07 AM
Jun 2021
gnomeu said:
No, you don't need to like her as long as you don't let that hatred cloud your view of her as a character, what you said are her personality traits that are very well shown in the movie and I particularly love it, not all characters need to be good people or altruists, but about hating her it's ok, I guess you're not the only one.

Of course! She makes a great "bad character" I just felt like they wanted me to like her at the end
Sep 2, 2021 8:10 AM
Aug 2021
Lyrexx said:
Jester_809 said:

I basically mean it's really your opinion and your choice whether you wanna like her or not. Hope that clears it up
Sep 2, 2021 8:10 AM
Jun 2021
erenJaeger99 said:
randomnoakuma said:
I don't think she was designed to hate. She was the only character who didn't pity nishimiya because of her disability and treated her like any other person after time skip. And also in childhood, first she tried to be nice to nishimiya but then nishimiya started clinging to her and Ueno was also a child and she didn't wanted to become her friend and that's okay. It's just because after the accident she hits nishimiya everyone started to hate her but i think she was treating nishimiya as a normal person. Nishimiya also realise that it was her fault that's why she wanted to make up with Ueno.

I personally disagree. I get that she was young but so was nishimiya. She thought that because Ueno was nice at frist that they were friends. If uneo wanted to make it clear to her that she didn't want that she couldve wrote it for her instead of leaving her to guess. I agree that it's fine she didn't want to be friends, but treating her horribly wasn't the way to go about that. Plus if that's how she treats "normal" people that's still pretty crappy of her.
Sep 2, 2021 8:14 AM
Jun 2021
Mayora_oji13 said:

I agree with most of your points! I just find it kinda bad if she just treats everyone like that. ("Even if Shouko wasn't deaf or it was a completely different person, she still would have treated her the same way as long as Shoya did too") like I'm not saying she was ablist and doing it because she was deaf I meant that the way she treated her (regardless) was pretty bad
Sep 2, 2021 8:17 AM
Jun 2021
Jester_809 said:
Lyrexx said:

I basically mean it's really your opinion and your choice whether you wanna like her or not. Hope that clears it up

Oh I get that, but I just wanted to start a conversation about why she may or may not be liked! Thanks for participating though!
Sep 2, 2021 8:24 AM
Jan 2021
Like what you want, hate what you want
Sep 2, 2021 8:35 AM
Jun 2021
Gangloff said:

Yes, of course I just want to have a conversation with other people's opinions..
Sep 2, 2021 8:41 AM
Apr 2021
I honestly don’t like her she just annoyed me
Sep 2, 2021 8:54 AM
Apr 2020
You can I don’t see any harm in doing so but her writing was deliberately made to be the annoying knot in a plank of wood that you can’t get rid of for some reason
Sep 2, 2021 9:13 AM
Jan 2021
Lyrexx said:
Gangloff said:

Yes, of course I just want to have a conversation with other people's opinions..
Shes just a realistic character. Shes a bitch but i like the character
Sep 2, 2021 9:21 AM
Jun 2021
Gangloff said:
Lyrexx said:

Shes just a realistic character. Shes a bitch but i like the character

That's fair! I totally get that! I thought she was a great "bad character", but I was conflicted at the end wether or not I was supposed to forgive her lol
Sep 2, 2021 9:22 AM
Jun 2021
SloppyM said:
You can I don’t see any harm in doing so but her writing was deliberately made to be the annoying knot in a plank of wood that you can’t get rid of for some reason

Please read the #1 comment! My question isn't really just "should I should I not like her" lol
Sep 2, 2021 9:28 AM

Jul 2020
I mean the answer should be obvious.
Sep 2, 2021 9:45 AM
Jul 2021
No one should like her, she bullied some deaf girl because she was “ruining their friendship”. Like bruh, I will say she’s not as bad as that blond chick miki or something cause at least she admitted she was doing wrong
Sep 2, 2021 9:56 AM
Jun 2021
Todoro-kun said:

Please read the #1 comment
Sep 2, 2021 11:44 AM
Mar 2021
The whole purpose of her character is to be the bully. She hates Shouko for being involved with Shouya’s change in personality. Constantly belittling and even hurting her for something that she didn’t even have influence over. Shouya wanted to change and make up for his mistakes by being friendly to her, Ueno doesn’t seem to understand that. While she may seem reformed at some points and at the end, it took a nice beating from Shoukos mom to fully bring it out.
Sep 2, 2021 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Yea she bad i hate her
Sep 2, 2021 12:55 PM

Aug 2019
Its almost like no one is seeing the MAIN THEME that is forgiveness within this movie. In the beginning, Shoya was just as much in the wrong as Ueno. No matter what he did to fix his mistakes, he didn’t deserve forgiveness, yet he was forgiven. I truly suggest anyone who hates Ueno watch this movie again with an actual heart inside them. Believe me, it will open up your world in a way where you can actually see how great this movie is. Hating Ueno simply makes you as an audience member self-centered. But it’s okay, I forgive you. I’m only here to help :).
FluffyExpressSep 2, 2021 1:00 PM
Sep 2, 2021 5:41 PM
Feb 2021
I think the people talking like Ueno is super "woke" for "not seeing her as disabled" are clowns. She's a bully, and bullying is wrong.
Sep 2, 2021 6:51 PM
Jan 2021
I found her character very interesting. She did hate shouko but also wanted to become friends with her which shouko refused. It's just that the audience and shouko misunderstood her character
Sep 2, 2021 8:51 PM
Jun 2021
Todoro-kun said:

Please read the #1 comment
Sep 2, 2021 8:56 PM
Jun 2021
FluffyExpress said:
Its almost like no one is seeing the MAIN THEME that is forgiveness within this movie. In the beginning, Shoya was just as much in the wrong as Ueno. No matter what he did to fix his mistakes, he didn’t deserve forgiveness, yet he was forgiven. I truly suggest anyone who hates Ueno watch this movie again with an actual heart inside them. Believe me, it will open up your world in a way where you can actually see how great this movie is. Hating Ueno simply makes you as an audience member self-centered. But it’s okay, I forgive you. I’m only here to help :).

Please read the #1 comment! I got the theme, but I'm not talking about forgiving her! You can forgive someone and still not like them. My question and topic for the discussion was about whether or not I should feel differently about Ueno. Personally I just don't like her because it never seemed like she even made an attempt to be a good person. (Sorry if this comes off harsh I don't mean to!! :))
Sep 2, 2021 8:58 PM
Jun 2021
DoobieSam said:
I think the people talking like Ueno is super "woke" for "not seeing her as disabled" are clowns. She's a bully, and bullying is wrong.

Totally agree! It doesn't make sense how that's supposed to be a good trait
Sep 2, 2021 9:00 PM
Jun 2021
Samparka said:
I found her character very interesting. She did hate shouko but also wanted to become friends with her which shouko refused. It's just that the audience and shouko misunderstood her character

I'm confused? I thought she didn't want to be friends with Shouko while Shouko wanted to be friends with her. Like when she kept trying to get her to use her notebook to talk to her as kids and what Ueno said in the ferris wheel
Sep 2, 2021 9:28 PM
Jan 2021
Lyrexx said:
Samparka said:

I'm confused? I thought she didn't want to be friends with Shouko while Shouko wanted to be friends with her. Like when she kept trying to get her to use her notebook to talk to her as kids and what Ueno said in the ferris wheel
No.At the ferris wheel she told shouko to be nice to each other as people who hate each other. She was a bit of tsundere but she cared for shouko after seeing shoya's change. Ueno's character was overall not a good one or bad one but it was very interesting to see.
Sep 2, 2021 9:47 PM
Jun 2021
Samparka said:
Lyrexx said:

No.At the ferris wheel she told shouko to be nice to each other as people who hate each other. She was a bit of tsundere but she cared for shouko after seeing shoya's change. Ueno's character was overall not a good one or bad one but it was very interesting to see.

I guess I didn't really see it like that. For reference I've only seen the movie and that's what I'm going off of. In the movie it just looked like she was saying "I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just mutually agree to dislike each other" to which Shouko said that she didn't hate her which made her (Ueno) mad. She didn't really show any care or consideration towards Shouko to me
Sep 3, 2021 10:23 AM
Apr 2021
FluffyExpress said:
Yup, totally agreed. If Shoya deserves forgiveness then Ueno does obviously, in the end she seem to understand what she did was wrong(at least that's what I think). The real bitch is Kawai(the self-centred blonde girl), I really despise her kind.
Sep 3, 2021 10:24 AM
Apr 2021
Mayora_oji13 said:

Yup, totally agreed. If Shoya deserves forgiveness then Ueno does obviously, in the end she seem to understand what she did was wrong(at least that's what I think). The real bitch is Kawai(the self-centred blonde girl), I really despise her kind.
Sep 3, 2021 7:59 PM
Jan 2020
Lyrexx said:
gnomeu said:

Of course! She makes a great "bad character" I just felt like they wanted me to like her at the end

I didn’t get that at all personally. I felt with the end everyone kinda realised she was just a dickhead and didn’t bother trying to make friends with her. Which was something quite real to my life and I’m sure many others. That signing moment with her at the end was quite funny and fulfilling.
Sep 3, 2021 8:01 PM
Jun 2021
Cracker-Man said:
Lyrexx said:

I didn’t get that at all personally. I felt with the end everyone kinda realised she was just a dickhead and didn’t bother trying to make friends with her. Which was something quite real to my life and I’m sure many others. That signing moment with her at the end was quite funny and fulfilling.

Idk I guess I got the feeling they wanted her to seem nicer because of the sign language and nice way Shouko joked with with..?
Sep 3, 2021 8:03 PM

Jun 2020
idk i didn't pay attention to her so i don't hate her
Sep 3, 2021 10:30 PM
Jan 2020
Lyrexx said:
Cracker-Man said:

Idk I guess I got the feeling they wanted her to seem nicer because of the sign language and nice way Shouko joked with with..?

She calls her an idiot lol. I mean, she’s not mean about it, but I don’t think it was a joke by any stretch. They don’t have time to deal with her by the end of it.
Sep 4, 2021 12:20 PM
Aug 2021
I don’t hate her, every bad person has a reason to be how they are, ueno is lonely and i can understand why she did it
Sep 5, 2021 8:22 AM
Jul 2021
Better question
Should I like Shouko?
Sep 5, 2021 9:03 AM

Oct 2020
Like whatever you like and be unapologetic about it.

But in all seriousness, I feel like Ueno as a character is designed to be thoroughly unlikeable given her annoying, condescending and a bit evil personality traits. However, this was not random but rather a highly important element in terms of the protagonist's character development. In this light, I think she's a really well-written character that serves to showcase Shouya's growth and highlight the strong contrast between his personality in elementary school and who he is now as a young adult. At the same time, it is clear that Ueno has a dose of relatability embedded in her character as well. The "mean girl" trope is typical in (high) school stories internationally and also highly present IRL as well.

So, overall, not a big fan of her personality, although I understand where it's coming from and admire how neatly it is implemented in the bigger picture of this movie.
Sep 6, 2021 6:39 PM
Jul 2021
I don’t think we’re supposed to forgive her, I think we’re just supposed to understand her a little more. But personally I really like Ueno. I wanna go back on what you said about Ueno loving Shoya. Ueno really doesn’t want anything bad to happen to Shoya, that's why Ueno is so mad at Shoko. She thinks Shoko is the reason why Shoua is the person he is now. Though it’s obviously not her fault. And just like Shoya she also feels bad about the past, she feels bad for throwing Shoya under the bus. And can we talk about how she constantly visited Shoya in the hospital? How she treated Shoko was wrong, there’s no question about it but I do think but honestly please don’t @ me but I do see Ueno and Shoko becoming friends. And the reason why is because of how much they both care about Shoya.
Sep 16, 2021 11:25 PM

Dec 2020
She’s literally the antagonist ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Sep 17, 2021 3:48 AM

Jan 2021
i think she's there in the movie mean to be character that we hate

Sep 24, 2021 2:47 AM
Apr 2021
Fuck ueno! I hate her!! She didn't even ask sorry to nishimiya at last
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.