Forum Settings
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 27, 2021 3:00 PM

Jul 2017
Finally got to read that 8th volume that dropped a few days ago in English physically and to be honest, not particularly an amazing volume. Definitely a dropoff from the 7th volume when I was re-reading the series at the time around May-June. I remember talking about how much I loved the whole confession and admiration scene with Shin and Lena in that end of the 7th volume and talked about how it kick started the relationship, but that's kind of a flop since in this volume... not much really happened there. Lena kissed Shin after the confession in V7, but did not technically respond to his confession directly for anything to happen so for a while in most of the volume... that whole ordeal was in purgatory and didn't have much progress until Shin kissed her himself and reminded her about how he feels, and was patiently awaiting her response. Man's got patience like a monk, and pretty much everyone else calls Lena out for stalling, still not much progress made by the end of the volume too since the plot took a more darker approach with that cliffhanger. Also, I liked that convo with Shin and Zelene where he was contemplating regarding if she was found earlier, would he have been able to save his brother.

One thing this volume did though was focus a bit more on Theo and his character feeling lost in the current situation as Shin changed a lot from when they all were together before meeting Lena, and has been a lot more communicative and direct in comparison to then. Anju, Kureha and the others are also seemingly finding their paths slowly, leaving Theo lost since in where they are, he felt disconnected from the others and was lonely in a sense. To change and move on to a place where he doesn't have connections to them makes him feel way too foreign and uncomfortable. I like how the novel at least gave some effort to his characterization in particular to improve on that supporting cast while the main two feel stagnant with their relationship and direction there. Cliffhanger with him losing his hand like that was pretty brutal stuff and hopefully, the next volume delivers a lot more than this one.

Generally, not a bad volume particularly but not a great volume either. Subpar for its standards personally.
Sep 3, 2021 3:14 PM
Jan 2019
Really enjoyed this volume. The naval battle was absolutely incredible, from the sacrifices of various fleets, to the battle in Mirage Spire, the appearance of the Leviathan and the Noctiluca with 2 damn Morphos lmao.
Simply an amazing battle. Always kept me on the edge of my seat.
Definitely one of my favourite volumes (although that cliffhanger was kinda mean :v).
Oct 22, 2021 9:17 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, what a brutal cliffhanger. But I am sure he'll live if he gets immediate medical attention, though again as he said, he can't fight with them anymore. The irony that the one that didn't see a future yet after the war was the one who is forced to retire first. Though I think he can still help them, he can be like Marcel, a control officer, though I don't know if he can also do that kind of work with one hand, maybe with prosthetics. But, I don't think he'll ever ride a Juggernaut ever again even with prosthetics. Let's not forget about Shana though since she was at the top of the spire, hopefully she wasn't caught in the Noctiluca's blast.

Besides the pain, I loved the awkwardness between Shin and Lena and how everyone was teasing them lmao. Also holy shit when Shin kissed Lena like an animal, what a chad. I hope we get Lena's answer next volume, especially since she almost lost him this volume. I am sure she would want to answer sooner now because of that.

Didn't expect there'd be creatures like the leviathan in their world though, it's fucking sick. Maybe the Dragon Corpse Mountain Range in the United Kingdom is actually a legit corpse of a dragon lmao, that'd be cool. The Legion might be absolute monsters, but there's always a bigger fish. Makes sense, they could have escaped with boats to other continents maybe, but they can't because of the leviathans.

Also liked the parallels between the Eighty-Six and the Orphan Fleet, it's a different kind of similarity compared to the Sirins. The Sirins showed them a possible future where they'll end up dead. But the Orphan Fleet shows them that even if their pride is gone, the will always be comrades and they can keep moving forward. It was great. Theo's development throughout the volume was also great as with Kurena and some of the other's as well, but Theo got the most focus.

First time I've ever been caught up with a Light Novel. Can't wait for the next volume.
sKyBlazer08Oct 22, 2021 9:27 AM
Oct 27, 2021 9:07 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Really brutal fight, it would be insane if animated like the anime is now, i can only hope that this time comes one day XD.

The vol focused in Theo this time, and what he wanted to do after war, it was very interesting to see them explore him more, but well the focus was the fight, and my lord what a fight! plotwist after plotwist, one of the best fights in the entire novel.

And the ending....what a ridiculous cliffhanger AAAAAAA, welp i can only hope that Theo make a way to still be able to fight, but if this was his ending in this patch i would like the same, it would make sense.
Oct 29, 2021 3:59 AM
Jan 2021
An amazing vol as always. Maybe it become the second best volt in my opinion
Nov 23, 2021 5:27 PM

May 2016
Holy moly! I don't know what words I should use to describe this volume. Incredible? Spectacular? Magnificent? Epic? Those words won't do this volume justice. This is a one of a kind epic tale you have to sit down and read to fully appreciate. I'm in awe of the author's writing style after reading this volume. The stormy atmosphere, the unforgiving ocean, the all too insignificant human life, the freakin leviathan, the brave orphan fleet soldiers going on their suicide mission with pride, their captain ordering them to do so without flinching, the fierce battle of the 86 against the Morpho after losing their beloved captain, the raw emotions, the sheer magnitude of tension and everything else in this volume were quite intense and pictured perfectly by the author. Speaking of intense, you can not forget to mention that fkin kiss scene. The kiss on the last volume was cute and sweet. But way to go Shin (or rather the author), I didn't expect that intense kiss out of nowhere and while Lena was on her sexy Cicada outfit at that. Things went south soon after so we didn't get to see her proper reaction afterwards but I'm looking forward to it in the next volume.

Anyway, it's kinda bummer that the volume ended on a cliffhanger (hope Theo make it out alive even if he can't be a soldier anymore). But overall this volume is a solid 10/10 for me. It's sad that we won't get to see this animated any time soon, but hopefully someday it might happen. A movie with it's high budget animation quality would be perfect for adapting this incredible volume.

Nov 25, 2021 3:00 AM

Jan 2017
While not as exciting as the snowy castle siege battle in vol 5, I appreciate the amount of depth of the battle in this sea fortress siege. Really felt like a true boss battle with the stages starting from Morpho 2.0 to the nightmare fuel Noctiluca and finally a freaking Leviathan.

Mentality-wise, seems like most of the squadron has left the 86 sector with exceptions of Kurena and Theo. Why did Theo have to be one to forcefully retire, his battle style is so fun
Dec 7, 2021 6:35 AM
Feb 2019
Animejas always complains huh
Jan 11, 2022 9:31 PM

Feb 2021
So gun smoke on the water is reference to smoke on the water by Deep Purple....... NO SHIT! ;)

Jokes aside this volume was somewhat different from the previous ones, I already had a feeling the romance between Lena and Shin wasn't exactly going to be the main focus of this one, however I liked all the focus that went to Theo, it seems it was rather deserved after basically every volume only revolving around Shin and Lena.

I also do think it wasn't one of the strongest of the series, I don't think it was bad but it introduced this whole bunch of new stuff which idk really know why, like Levithans? They're cool but I don't see why introduce them at this point, and it feels the fleet countries were just thrown there to have a setting be on the sea.

But oh well I can't wait for the next volume after that cliffhanger, I think the final battle was really well done on this one, and genuinely wanna see what happens to Theo as well as the relationship between Lena and Shin.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Volume 12 Discussion

FragmantLemon - Dec 6, 2023

2 by SSRSyt »»
Dec 6, 2023 10:09 PM

» Eighty six vol 12

Rose_572 - Jun 4, 2023

9 by BitChilly »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:38 PM

Poll: » 86 Chapter 25 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Oct 8, 2023

6 by SSRSyt »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » 86 Volume 4 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Apr 9, 2020

19 by Mechabandit »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:26 PM

» Legion Color

AnD_MaN_03 - Jun 19, 2023

2 by Nejeren »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.