Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 25, 2021 9:24 PM
Aug 2021
Everything was so interesting until the author of Koe no Katachi denied Shouyo's love feeling and denied the romance in this series altogether in Q&A of fanbook.

Ok, I know a lot of people may not mind about that, because anyway, this was not the main purpose of this series. But after watching it I think most of you guys may feel it would be love feeling between Shouko and Shouya or some kind of special feeling and their love remained their motivation in many scenes both in its manga and anime.

But after all, the author denied it altogether, every scene which was supposed to be so sweet and little bit romantic. That's way ridiculous. If this anime was not about love, why didn't she choose two protagonists with same sex in the first place [https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/62583864]? So it would be much clearer for the message of the movie, right? And she even let Shouka confess for nothing if this movie did not have "love side". In the first place, I don't consider this movie would have romance. But after Shouka confessed, the theme of the movie slightly changed to romance and we saw their relationship getting closer over time. So we all considered the end of the manga somehow implied that they would be together, right?

However, author's answer is a big "NO". No Shouya's love feeling, no relationship, no romance in the bridge scene, no romance at all. Still no problem with the movie's message, it just left me with heartache and scare of watching these kind of anime again. :(
Aug 25, 2021 10:46 PM
Jan 2021
Gunkan2213 said:
Everything was so interesting until the author of Koe no Katachi denied Shouyo's love feeling and denied the romance in this series altogether in Q&A of fanbook.

Ok, I know a lot of people may not mind about that, because anyway, this was not the main purpose of this series. But after watching it I think most of you guys may feel it would be love feeling between Shouko and Shouya or some kind of special feeling and their love remained their motivation in many scenes both in its manga and anime.

But after all, the author denied it altogether, every scene which was supposed to be so sweet and little bit romantic. That's way ridiculous. If this anime was not about love, why didn't she choose two protagonists with same sex in the first place [https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/62583864]? So it would be much clearer for the message of the movie, right? And she even let Shouka confess for nothing if this movie did not have "love side". In the first place, I don't consider this movie would have romance. But after Shouka confessed, the theme of the movie slightly changed to romance and we saw their relationship getting closer over time. So we all considered the end of the manga somehow implied that they would be together, right?

However, author's answer is a big "NO". No Shouya's love feeling, no relationship, no romance in the bridge scene, no romance at all. Still no problem with the movie's message, it just left me with heartache and scare of watching these kind of anime again. :(

Think what you want
IMO, Most of the fanbase agrees to the Romance Anyways
The Author's intent may have swayed or the movie might have had to do some of this content to ensure sales or maybe well you know
Some things just come out wrong

P.S. What you said about heartache
Well agree
Big Offf
Aug 25, 2021 10:51 PM
Dec 2020
I think the audience is already bored of watching bad bully turned into a lover. That's the most stupid and gross cliché and i'm glad the author denied it. And i also think that no matter how much shoya changed (which is for the good) HE STILL F#@KING BULLIED SHOKO TO THE MAXIMUM. And after that if it had turned into a damn love story then blegh.

Also i think Shoko had some tendencies towards Stockholm Syndrome (not literally but some tendencies) so it makes sense that she liked shoya even when he bullied her. I just think it wasn't love but something else that only psychologists can understand.

And the fact that you said that the author should've chose same sex people proves the point that there is no romance but it's all in your head. And if you think that a boy and a girl can't just be friends and HAVE TO BE more than friends then that's your opinion i guess but this movie isn't romance nor did the author intended any romance.

It isn't romance with opposite sex and wouldn't have been romance with same sex. Gender or sex isn't even the damn issue here ughhhhhhhhhh
Aug 25, 2021 11:16 PM
Aug 2021
Breaking the cliche here just for sole purpose of breaking the cliche.

Even if they got the opposite sex, the message was clear and nothing went wrong with it. But this was not the case here. Not only opposite sex, but also damned romance theme and tendency till the end of the manga and then the author literally fuck off everything.

OMG after reading fanbook, I cannot watch this anime anymore although it remained my best anime for years.

I also agree that I don't want to see them kiss each other or do something too romantically. But at least she should shut the fuck up and don't leak or share anything new about that anime in the fanbook. So everybody could enjoy it under their perspective.
Aug 26, 2021 12:41 AM
Jan 2016
Why does it matter if there's romance or not? This definitely isn't a love movie. Sure Shouko confessed to Shoya and seems to have some kinda of feelings for him (Romantic or Not) we never see Shoya show any interest in those kind of things in either the Movie or the Manga bar possibly the last chapter.

But some things can be left up to interpretation, We know nothing of what happens after the story ends so if you want to belive they got together then unless Yoshitoki Ōima does a chapter where they're grown ups that proves different then you can belive that.

As for saying that if they weren't supposed to be in love then why bother making them opposite sexes is just idiotic, So can a Boy and Girl not be friends unless they're in love? Plus even if it was 2 girls or 2 guys there would definitely be people saying the characters were gay so it literally doesn't matter if its 2 guys 2 women or one of each.
Aug 26, 2021 12:41 AM
Jan 2016
Why does it matter if there's romance or not? This definitely isn't a love movie. Sure Shouko confessed to Shoya and seems to have some kinda of romantic feelings for him we never see Shoya show any interest in those kind of things in either the Movie or the Manga bar possibly the last chapter.

But some things can be left up to interpretation, We know nothing of what happens after the story ends so if you want to belive they got together then unless Yoshitoki Ōima does a chapter where they're grown ups that proves different then you can belive that.

As for saying that if they weren't supposed to be in love then why bother making them opposite sexes is just idiotic, So can a Boy and Girl not be friends unless they're in love? Plus even if it was 2 girls or 2 guys there would definitely be people saying the characters were gay so it literally doesn't matter if its 2 guys 2 women or one of each.
Aug 26, 2021 12:57 AM

Sep 2014
Edamame_GP said:
And the fact that you said that the author should've chose same sex people proves the point that there is no romance but it's all in your head. And if you think that a boy and a girl can't just be friends and HAVE TO BE more than friends then that's your opinion i guess but this movie isn't romance nor did the author intended any romance.

Chrisj19925 said:

These two comments (especially this part) are exactly what I wanted to say so no further elaboration needed.
Aug 26, 2021 1:51 AM
Aug 2021
I'm not bothering why did they choose opposite sex or not, don't get me wrong. She got two people have feeling for each other and just left it without having any conclusion. You can see the manga and you would realize many details and scenes which shown that they got feeling for each other. However you guy may say that they didn't or they did, I don't care cuz it depends on your love definition. But that's still fine, no problem. Anyway the end is opened, so she left it for our imagination. That made ending opened.

But my point is, she completely denied it in the fanbook. That totally againsted the story and broke the open-ending idea of many audiences. If that did not mean that she would develop its sequel in the future then she had better STFU and let the ending be truly opened, not getting on a fanbook to interrupt our imagination for ending.
Gunkan2213Aug 26, 2021 2:03 AM
Aug 26, 2021 2:21 PM
Jun 2021
If the author didn't want her audience to think Koe No Katachi was a romance, then why did she include Shouko's confession? At that point you're just confusing the reader/viewer.

The "romance" certainly doesn't play a major role, and there are much more important themes central to the story, but it doesn't make sense to intentionally write in scenes most fans would end up interpreting romanticly if she's opposed to her work being viewed that way.
Aug 26, 2021 4:23 PM

May 2020
Not everything has to be a romance OP…whether it be an LGBTQ+ or straight romance, both of which it can be, it is not necessary, especially when they can muddle the themes of a movie or manga like Koe no Katachi. In fact, a romantic outcome can turn the movie’s message into hogwash, especially given the backstories of Ishida and Nishimiya. By reducing both to love interests, the complex feelings of guilt and desire for redemption and friendship by Ishida and the trauma conflicting with Nishimiya’s desire to live on would fall in shambles. I understand OP and some fans want to ship Ishida and Nishimiya, but at what cost would this come if this was canon?

If anything, by including the confession scene, it actually showcased the opposite, that it was never meant to be. I think that’s why the mangaka included that, but it was interpreted differently by some viewers.

signature by
nightshadekait
Aug 26, 2021 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
Why would she do that , imagine if the writer of pancreas would have done the same thing lol
Aug 26, 2021 6:56 PM
Aug 2021
LGBT or straight was not my initial point. My point is the fanbook.

I understood why the author cannot put romance in, everyone did. But after all, when both of them escaped from their own trauma, false belief and came back to normal life, why cannot they be free with the typical feeling of teenagers? I mean, the anime and manga were Ok, it just finished their problem and had an OP which got the audiences to draw their own imagination. I love it.

But what was the point of the fanbook? If she just declared that he had not love feeling for her AT THAT TIME, then her fanbook would not grind her OP to a more closed one. But she denied it altogether, which make her OP no longer OP and disappointed a lot of audiences.
Aug 27, 2021 12:52 PM
Aug 2021
While romance is not the forefront of the movie, i think there was some feelings of love mixed in, such as Nishimiya's love confession. I personally see it as a more than friends less than lovers sorta thing. (I never read the manga, this is purely based on my knowledge from the movie.) I can definitely see them actually being lovers but I don't know if Shouya loves her romantically so it's hard to tell from my end. Lovers or not, I believe romance was a part of the story. But the movie will always be a masterpiece in my mind because of how i interpreted the story was, how good it was in my opinion, and not based off of what people say about it. I think we can all agree it was really good none the less though.
Aug 27, 2021 12:52 PM
Aug 2021
While romance is not the forefront of the movie, i think there was some feelings of love mixed in, such as Nishimiya's love confession. I personally see it as a more than friends less than lovers sorta thing. (I never read the manga, this is purely based on my knowledge from the movie.) I can definitely see them actually being lovers but I don't know if Shouya loves her romantically so it's hard to tell from my end. Lovers or not, I believe romance was a part of the story. But the movie will always be a masterpiece in my mind because of how i interpreted the story was, not based off of what people say about. I think we can all agree it was really good none the less though.

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.