Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2008 12:42 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I totally thought it would be a band I know that did the OP. O_o

Very nice episode, very funny and stylish. I'm looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 12, 2008 3:26 AM

Oct 2007
Damn awesome.best of the season probably and the best animation i have seen in quite some time.fight sequences are so damn awesome.but the voice actors dont fit the characters if u compare with their personalities in the manga.

Apr 12, 2008 5:53 AM

Nov 2007
The most impressive series so far this season.
This is really good stuff

Apr 12, 2008 7:07 AM

Oct 2007
kimatg said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
W.O.W.

As I had expected.. Amazing quality... and lotsa action! sasuga BONES! ♡ lol
I think the art style was pretty unique.

but somehow Maka's voice sounded a bit weird... hmm

Anyone else seen it yet?

yea i totally agree with you~maka's voice is very weird.
Even when she gonna speak loudly,but the feeling doesn't come out
Apr 12, 2008 9:27 AM

Sep 2007
Hm... the music sounds a lot like Gurren Lagann (the whole trumpet thing).
Apr 12, 2008 9:27 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Jsheryl said:
yea i totally agree with you~maka's voice is very weird.
Even when she gonna speak loudly,but the feeling doesn't come out

Yet it's weirdly refreshing, I like it and I'm sure I'll be getting used to it quickly.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 12, 2008 9:52 AM

Jul 2007
I think i'll like this.
The action is pretty good, the art is nice(the laughing sun and the moon were great) and the characters are enjoyable
Apr 12, 2008 12:10 PM

Nov 2007
Great start, despite being cliche. I like the characters and the concept, and the fight scenes are animated excellently. They need to work on the comedy aspect a bit more...a lot of the jokes fell flat for me, if they were not downright annoying. Aside from that, can't really complain about anything else.

And darn why is this 51 episodes. D:
Apr 12, 2008 1:19 PM

Apr 2007
Awesome stuff, I've been hyped for this very series, and It didn't let me down! Though I guess I gotta get used to Maka's unique seiyuu, other than that, gags, actions, fanservice, all freakin great! Lookin forward to next ep, man it's gonna be awesome.
Black Star + Tsubaki FTW~!
Apr 12, 2008 3:28 PM
Jan 2008
Awesomeness. Crazy and Cool. Loved it
Finally an opening by TMR after years ^^
And 51 eps...not my size D:
Apr 12, 2008 4:24 PM

Feb 2007
Never read the manga, but this first ep was too predictable. :( Kind of ruined it for me

The OP and ED were win, and for the most part I like the style.
Apr 12, 2008 4:54 PM

Mar 2007
It was alright. I had no expectations for it, so I wasn't let down. But, yeah... it was predictable that she wasn't a witch. Though, I did not expect it to turn out that she would be a cat instead.
Apr 12, 2008 6:48 PM

Jul 2006
Finally something easy and refreshing to watch!

I loved the sloppy art and unrealistic but very fluid animation.
People seem to complain about a lack of detail, but I think the art fits its purpose just fine.

And about Maka's VA. She might be a bit unexpressive but I still like her voice.
It's not a your-average-schoolgirl voice.

Yeah, so I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
I might as well read the manga in the meantime.

Apr 12, 2008 7:23 PM

Jan 2008
I enjoyed this first episode and I really like the art style. The quality of the animation is great as well, but the fact that I waited for the HD version probably helped. I didn't really think anything bad about Maka's voice so I guess the means it didn't bother me. :p
Apr 12, 2008 7:24 PM

Jan 2008
I love the animation and usually devour anything Bones touches, but I don't think I'll be able to put up with Maka's horrid VA for 51 episodes if she doesn't step it up a few notches... and fast.

Apr 12, 2008 9:15 PM

Nov 2007
oh my god i love this guys art style.
the cat has nine lives thing was funny and charicters are good in my mind
the freest episode was great cant what for num. 2
Apr 12, 2008 9:36 PM

Apr 2007
That was awesome!
I love T.M.Revolution so this opening is my favorite of the season and I can't wait to see Black Star in the next episode^^
Apr 12, 2008 10:04 PM

Jan 2008
Love it.. At least at this point.. Cool style.
Apr 13, 2008 8:47 AM

Feb 2008
The voices doesn't fit the characters Soul and Maka. I understand about Soul's situation being a scythe and having a form of a normal teenager, but Maka has this monotonous feel to her voice.

The animation quality is great though, the action appeals to me most 8D
Apr 13, 2008 12:12 PM

Oct 2007
Maka VA is fine im having trouble with Soul's VA doesn't seem to fit him

and did they know there OP is the same as D.Gray-man's OP
Apr 13, 2008 12:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
ashlee123 said:
and did they know there OP is the same as D.Gray-man's OP

No idea what you're referring to. You might think it sounds similar to the first D.Gray-man OP by abingdon boys school, but that's only because T.M. Revolution is ABS' singer, Takanori Nishikawa.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 13, 2008 1:08 PM

Oct 2007
Awesome episode. I loved every damn part off it, from the OP till the preview, it all just fell in place for me. I really like the voiceactors to. Definatly something I'll keep on watching. 5/5

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Apr 13, 2008 2:40 PM

Sep 2007
Not bad at all. The action was pretty sweet.
Apr 13, 2008 3:25 PM
Sep 2007
This was pure awesome, I loved it, can't wait to watch more!
Hi
Apr 13, 2008 4:45 PM
Feb 2008
What a cool show. Loved every moment. This really surprised me.

Apr 13, 2008 7:26 PM

Feb 2008
Awesome loved the first episode will be continuing on watching this series! can't wait to see more! 5/5
Apr 13, 2008 7:37 PM

Sep 2007
Holy crap that was awesome.
Apr 13, 2008 8:58 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, I must say that this episode was quite amazing. I am a huge fan of BONES so I was going to watch this regardless, but this really suprised me by just how good it was.

Also the animation was simply stunning, I haven't seen animation this fluid since Ouran Host Club, which just so happens to be another BONES show. BONES does good work to say the least.
Apr 14, 2008 1:59 AM

Oct 2007
Oh my god... this was freaking amazing! I loved every second from the opening to the end!!
Lets see what all to note.
- opening song and animation was freaking awesome, i need the full version of the song NOW.
- im loving the "halloweenish" art style and theming, it's very nice.
- Maka's voice does sound a bit awakward at first, but personally I'm just glad it's not Rie Kugimiya... AGAIN.
- Soul Eater's voice was... well, NOT was I was expecting. After watching the opening I thought I had a fairly good grasp on what he would sound like, perhaps a younger or more unstable voice, but it's very deep and serious sounding voice, kind of threw me off. It's not bad though, I think I'll like it.
- I think this episode attained a perfect mix of action, humor, and fanservice.
- In regards to the fanservice, I watched the "uncut" episode but... I don't really even notice anything that would have been cut...? They even had floating soap bottles to self-censor her butt in that one scene, so I'm not really sure what the difference was. I would ask, or filter through the 7 pages of this as its probably already been discussed but whatever.
- I like the way there's 3 main groups of main characters, and from what I've seen they all look pretty sweet so far.
-
<3 <3 I hope she ends up sticking around for a little while xD
- Shinigami-sama kind of annoys me a little. The whole shinigami chop thing was funny the first time or two, but I dont think it's funny enough to be the recurring joke it looks like it's going to be. (wow, i actually had a negative comment? o.o; )
- OMG the ending theme! It started playing and didn't seem all that great or exciting (like most ending themes) so i minimized it and started writing this post. all of a sudden, WOW! got to fullscreen that again because suddenly the music is fucking epic. SERIOUSLY needing the full version of that song now too.

In closing, I am going to watch this series to the very end and it will probably keep it's initial rating of 10/10, i'd give it 11 if i could. Excellent work, and I hope the other animes are taking notes. THIS is how to do a first episode. (I'm looking at you, Druaga no to.)
Apr 14, 2008 3:04 AM

Apr 2007
Amazing animation. This is obviously going to be one of the best anime this season. No doubt about that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2008 4:36 AM

Feb 2008
This was indeed pretty impressive and I can definitely see how some people noted some Gurren Lagann influences here, though I thought the music felt almost too similar at times (I realize it's the same guy, but still). Oh well I guess.

Does seem worth keeping up with.
Apr 14, 2008 6:57 AM

Mar 2008
seen the first episode today, looks like a really cool anime, with an artwork that remenbers me the artwork of the band gorillaz.

Apr 14, 2008 8:48 AM

Aug 2007
Loved this, the artwork is diffrent but it seems cool. I love the ED song =)
Love Psychological? Join
Pyschological Love =D

Apr 14, 2008 9:28 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah, ending theme is quite good :)

[url][/url]
Apr 14, 2008 10:41 AM

Aug 2007
nice animation, but i didn't like the plot :D too childish imo :D
Apr 14, 2008 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
It's a shonen, heh :)
That said, the plot doesn't bother me that much for the moment, and I really like Maka's style :)

[url][/url]
Apr 15, 2008 1:24 AM

Sep 2007
I'm absolutely loving this show. I didn't quite know what to expect coming in, but the animation's FANTASTIC. The action choreography's interesting to watch, and the dynamics of the characters are a good starting point for the show. The only thing that needs to stop is the constant reference to the shinigami chop and the swirly-head animation that follows. Seriously, guys...we get it.
Apr 15, 2008 7:41 AM

Mar 2008
I can seriously see this being the next cult anime.

Cult anime (i.e. Naruto, Bleach, DBZ)

Only this time, I'm on board from episode one.

(I'm still trying to catch up to Bleach and I've given up on Naruto.)
Apr 15, 2008 3:54 PM

Jun 2007
the animation was top notch... i loved it

the OP theme and animation were done really nicely. it was one of the most impressive things. this might win the best OP this season.

comedy-wise, i found myself smiling at a couple of jokes, though some of them were just kind of... expected and repetitive (shinigami-sama*cough)

i am loving maka's father, he reminds me of dai youko from inukami... actually, deathscithe's relationship with maka reminded me of dai youko's relationship with youko.... awesome nevertheless..

the fighting parts were just plain awesome, i loved them. haven't watched a good action show in awhile that doesnt involve mechas... plus, this seems like the "good" shonnen type.

the ED was fucking awesome as well, cant believe i almost passed on this one. though 51 episodes will be... a lot.... i am hoping i can follow it just like i did with hayate... plus, the HD version was win. *looks for an external hard drive*

a really worthy anime... and probably second or third best this season

EDIT: i thoguht maka's VA really suited her, and it didnt annoy me at all. it suited her because she seemed like the kind of girl who would talk like that. also, soul impressed me.... didn't expect him to have such a... mature voice
TsundereRicApr 15, 2008 3:59 PM
Apr 15, 2008 9:25 PM
Apr 2008
Awsome show, twisted style in the best way! Does anyone know the artist or song title of the last song there in episode one? Not the ending theme but what appears to be Black Star's theme. I can make out the lyrics "Get away from me, you can not be me, get out of my way" but that hasn't yielded much.
Apr 15, 2008 10:41 PM

Dec 2007
I was okay, I'm going to keep watching though. The art style is very unique and even abstract in places. One of the first times I've seen someone actually pull off a bluff to get close to them enemy even though I've always though that was a good tactic.

#NBHNC
Apr 15, 2008 11:24 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting series. The art style looks good to me, and the fighting scenes were awesome. I enjoyed OP and ED. I will continue watching it.
Apr 16, 2008 1:37 AM

Apr 2007
That might have been the best first episode of an anime I've seen in quite a while. The quality was through the roof, much much better than I was even anticipating, and the style was pretty unique, also another surprise (I love that moon, so damn cool). Excellent OP as well, love the directing that it took, and the song is awesome. And the humor is good in it's small amounts, and doesn't really feel forced as of yet.

Hopefully they can keep up this kind of quality for the duration, but we'll see I guess.
Apr 16, 2008 4:37 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS THE BEST ANIME I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! I hope it continues to be this good! :D
Apr 16, 2008 7:52 PM

Feb 2008
I was delightfully surprised with the first episode. A majority of anime takes me 4-5 episodes before I decide to stick with it, but I really liked the art and Maka's voice has a certain charm to it, although I will say it took a little getting used to. Will continue to watch for sure.

Apr 16, 2008 9:32 PM

Nov 2007
twokutz said:
I really liked the art and Maka's voice has a certain charm to it

I agree :> Her voice isn't GREAT but I like it anyways, and it fits her character well.

[url][/url]
Apr 17, 2008 1:40 AM

Sep 2007
I love BONES, but this anime is... ugh.

The voice of the lead character really lacks "acting". The animation is also weird. Add in the typical big-boobed witch and you're in for the typical show that's bound to drag itself in the end.

Dropped.
Apr 17, 2008 10:29 PM
Jan 2007
is it just me, or does Maka's seiyuu spell FAIL? her voice is just so...flat and lifeless?
Apr 17, 2008 10:45 PM

Nov 2007
It is true it's not that good, but it's a bit harsh to say flat and lifeless.

Syun_Tao said:
Her voice isn't GREAT but I like it anyways, and it fits her character well.

[url][/url]
Apr 17, 2008 11:26 PM

Oct 2007
kathy said:
I love BONES, but this anime is... ugh.

The voice of the lead character really lacks "acting". The animation is also weird. Add in the typical big-boobed witch and you're in for the typical show that's bound to drag itself in the end.

Dropped.

Fails for judging a 51 episode anime by the first episode only.

buldozer said:

seen the first episode today, looks like a really cool anime, with an artwork that remenbers me the artwork of the band gorillaz.

Yeah I thought of that too when I was rewatching it, the character design IS very similar to gorillaz' style.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Jun 2, 2008

145 by WispyUmbra »»
Apr 2, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xLtay - Jul 22, 2008

115 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

WinterNightsFall - Jul 16, 2008

101 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Apr 28, 2008

116 by MORANGA »»
Mar 31, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cbkh915 - Mar 30, 2009

614 by Biisoo »»
Mar 30, 1:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.