Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2021 8:02 PM

Jul 2019
If you're thinking of watching this anime but don't like the animation, I would like to tell you to go ahead anyway or to keep watching after the first episode. Even despite the limited budget there was a lot of effort put into it to make it work. The OP/ED are great, voice acting is great, they deliver great sequences for all the big moments. As for the story itself, that's why you should watch it anyway. All the main four characters are solid. The overarching kidnapping plot is handled very intelligently for an anime that's supposedly about making cakes. The gay characters (there are two), while they come from complicated backgrounds, are developed very well and portrayed positively, even if the initial descriptions seem rather cliché (the homophobia will get developed too, everything in this story gets developed, and there is no drama just for the sake of it). The gay characters are definitely the best and most charming, but the other two don't fall behind much at all; it's a very strong group of protagonists.

With great animation this anime could be an easy 8.5/10. I gave it 8/10 myself because I partially disregarded the animation. After a few episodes you kinda stop caring. It's not bad in a way that will bring down the show, it's just lackluster if you remember to think about, and by the end it will only make you disappointed because the story deserved a higher budget.

Keep in mind this isn't a BL story nor a comedy. It's a lighthearted drama with a couple of openly gay protagonists. The main character is straight and his story mostly deals with his trauma (quite excellently).

That's all. I noticed a lot of people drop this anime so I thought of giving you my opinion to hopefully encourage to keep going. Episode 3 is great and will give you a better idea if this anime is for you or not (animation aside). The last two episodes are the best though! I was very impressed by the ending.
RojasebAug 16, 2021 8:35 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 3 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 18, 2008

34 by misscherie »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:19 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 12 Discussion

Cyrius - Sep 25, 2008

40 by yveltalkyogre »»
Aug 25, 2022 6:50 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 6 Discussion

Axersia - Aug 9, 2008

29 by serina7 »»
May 29, 2022 10:16 AM

» List of desserts shown on each episode ending of Antique Bakery

IridescentJaune - Nov 27, 2021

0 by IridescentJaune »»
Nov 27, 2021 7:00 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 8 Discussion

juu - Aug 25, 2008

25 by AozoraAi »»
Oct 13, 2021 8:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.