Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 13, 2021 1:39 PM

Dec 2015
Well, this was great despite how the film is hardly built like one, and more of a series of "moments".

Score: 10/10
Enjoyment: +∞ /5

Notes:
- great (even better than great?),
- ugly CGI although the ugliest moment, 13vs01 with a horrible toys city, felt almost like a simulation/game on purpose and is easier to accept. The other most (beautifully) ugly
element is virtual Lillith-Rei's head, making it even more creepy and effectively horrible than the original. (No idea why, but it reminded me of some Death Note panels.)
- with a few beautiful return to drawn action sprinkled in the film,
- clear/evident, logical,
- but the Kaji explanation speech was mostly unnecessary, with the few elements the audience had been given from the second end trailer to the third film.
- everything Evangelion in a single work (just like the series?)...

BlichoBoy said:

So technically Mari is 50~ years old. Who just made her more mysterious.

About this... didn't Sadamoto admit in an interview his special chapter (in 2009?) was simply him musing over Mari's origins, based on the second film alone, without any actual behind the scene info?
The hypothesis made sense at the time, and I liked it. But in the end, is it Anno using Sadamoto's guess or was Sadamoto simply smart enough to understand his colleague (after all, the very vague hints were there)?

@Swagernator Too bad, I'm "dying" to know.

@War_lock There were the pseudo-trailer at the end of the second film, the infos given in the third and fourth films, all of this supposedly combining to give you what's necessary. Add your imagination if you want to make a smoother telling of everything that could have happened.

=====
@St0rmblade See?
Rei_IIIAug 22, 2021 7:21 AM
Aug 13, 2021 1:50 PM
Dec 2014
The nightmarish ending of End of Evangelion is finally over.
Finally Shinji got what he deserved.
Extremely satisfied and the best part was that there was actual connection the original one which we already knew before this movie but actually seeing it is a different thing. The only thing I hate was the CGI face of quantum REI.
I was literally getting goosebumps when REI said "NEON GENESIS".
Hats to the entire staff of Evangelion.
Aug 13, 2021 1:51 PM

Feb 2012

Well it might be "Goodbye, all Evangelions" (the new ones, that is), but I hope to rewatch the tv series once the pre-orders are open. It's been ages.
Fortress_MaximusAug 16, 2021 12:23 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 13, 2021 2:01 PM
Nov 2019
I thought the film was great, really felt like a conclusion to the series as a whole in contrast to the EoE film which just left me feeling empty. I don't really see the problem with the CG tho felt like it didn't really affect my experience positively or negatively so I'm quite meh about it. Although the use of CG in this film was some of the best I've seen ngl
Aug 13, 2021 2:26 PM

Apr 2016
Rei_III said:
About this... didn't Sadamoto admit in an interview his special chapter (in 2009?) was simply him musing over Mari's origins, based on the second film alone, without any actual behind the scene info?
The hypothesis made sense at the time, and I liked it. But in the end, is it Anno using Sadamoto's guess or was Sadamoto simply smart enough to understand his colleague (after all, the very vague hints were there)?

That is something we will most probably never get a clear answer for.

Fortress_Maximus said:
I may have missed Asuka? Mari is definitely there and Rei and Kaworu are on the opposite platform. If Asuka isn't there, is it because she is in her own world where she ends up with Kensuke in the earlier scene?

Dude, she's literally there playing on her "phone".
SwagernatorAug 13, 2021 2:29 PM
Aug 13, 2021 2:37 PM

Apr 2016
After all these years, it's finally over. I'd say it got wrapped up pretty well. Tbh I find a lot of the lore a bit of a headache so I didn't have that much of the enjoyment factor especially near the end.
AmphyyAug 14, 2021 5:57 AM
Aug 13, 2021 2:49 PM
Jan 2021
Man i was hoping for Asushin ending
Aug 13, 2021 2:59 PM

Jan 2017
Good watch. Glad they didn't try to make it EoE part 2 but rather gave it its own thing while borrowing some elements. I don't care at all about any of the shipping, I'm just happy I get to see Shinji get the happy ending he deserves. It feels weird having a sense of closure like this from eva haha. I didn't like the rebuilds as much as the original series or EoE but I still think they were a great addition to the series.
Aug 13, 2021 3:23 PM

Oct 2020
A heartfelt and fitting conclusion to the Evangelion franchise. The symbolism and references definitely played a big part in my enjoyment of this movie. The CGI was fairly decent for most of it but, holy, I almost shat myself when I saw that giant Ayanami. Haha, it wouldn't be Evangelion without Misato getting blown up. I would've preferred Shinji ending up with Rei or Asuka but, Mari will do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2021 3:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Bloody hell!

I feel like an era of my life has come to an end. To this day I still don't know if the Rebuild film's were necessary or just an act of extreme self indulgence by Anno to get his intellectual property away from Gainax. But they're a great retelling of the original story and this is a mirror to E of E in it's own way. It's a cleaner, more generous ending, coming from a more mature man who perhaps didn't feel the need of of crushing his own creation anymore.

I still think my favorite Evangelion is Sadamoto's manga version, but this one does what it needs to do in it's own visually spectacular way.

Take a bow Anno-san.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 13, 2021 4:19 PM
Jun 2020
Goodbye Evangelion.
Aug 13, 2021 4:40 PM

Feb 2019
Deadass been sat here with my jaw on the floor and tears in my eyes for the past few minutes. I’ll think about the philosophical and timeline implications later after I’ve had time to reflect.

Right now, high off pure emotion I’ll just say this was a masterpiece of the highest order. This reflected 23 years of growth from Anno as a writer and director. I had heard from some people that the movie left on a cliffhanger or didn’t really answer everything, but I felt everything important about eva was answered here. The final scene with Mari and Shinji perfectly encompassed his growth over the course of the series and rebuilds.

Additionally, it reflected our growth as viewers. Many of us were kids when Eva dropped. Now, just like shinji, we’re adults. Time to get on with life. Beautiful.

P.S: Mari best fucking girl.
Aug 13, 2021 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
Anno thanks you for ending my favorite anime, I absolutely loved this, every part on it elas just nice. And Shinji, he grew up, gladly. Why people complained about the movie because of their ships? Bruh

∞/10
Aug 13, 2021 5:40 PM

Jul 2007
I didn't really like 3.0 so I'm not sure what compelled me to watch this one. Christ.
Aug 13, 2021 6:37 PM

Oct 2018
I don't know how to feel about this movie, I hated the 3.33 and hated again all the bullshit inherited by this movie (Evas, spaceships and etc). However, I loved the village part and the ending.

Well, gave it a 5 because I both loved and hated, thanks Evangelion, you've always been giving me conflicting feelings.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 13, 2021 7:07 PM

Oct 2020
Ehhh, I didn’t like it that much. It had some great scenes early on and most of the animation that wasn’t CGI was stunning. The latter half though was the same incomprehensible psycho babble of the previous two times Anno did Instrumentality. I remember when the Rebuilds were supposed to be the idiot’s guide to Evangelion.

I did enjoy Gendo’s soliloquy on the tedium of being around other people and having to be interested in their lives. Seeing Misato and Shinji finally hug was a lovely moment.

Shinji not ending up with Asuka was a major failing for me, it felt like spite on Anno’s part. Mari barely even spoke to Shinji before this film so it really doesn’t make much sense. I’d probably have liked the film more if the natural character pairing of Shinji and Asuka had been taken. Admittedly Asuka was older thanks to the time jump, but at least she wasn’t old enough to be Shinji’s mother like Mari! What a bizarre ending choice.

Plus this film didn’t explain the random appearance of Rei in the middle of the street at the start of 1.0. It’s not even a case of quantum Rei like in EoE. Oh well, maybe the next time Anno is running short of money he’ll try Evangelion again.
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 PM

Jun 2020
My fifth 10/10 ever, this movie was such a great conclusion to the Evangelion story. I guess the timeloop theory is actually correct haha. My one critique is the CGI big Rei, reminds me of like 2000s CGI animation. However, the rest of the CGI in the film was incredible, not to mention the hand-drawn Eva fight at the end. The ship was hilarious, I don't think anyone could have seen it coming.

Even though Anno says he's done with Evangelion, I'm sure he'll come back at least to tell what happened in the 14 year time skip. I'd love to see what happened to Asuka.
Aug 13, 2021 7:26 PM

Jun 2009
Ah, the movie that kills all shippers. Amazing. 10/10.
Aug 13, 2021 7:44 PM

Apr 2015
Just finished and crying with Utada's song.

First of all, CGi big Rei will give me nightmares for days, wtf was that lmao.

I loved the movie from begin to end, so much to think. I love that every character had a proper end, a lot of love put in this movie. Thanks Anno.

Mari is the best girl btw 10/10

Goodbye Evangelion
ScarRufusAug 14, 2021 3:15 AM
Aug 13, 2021 7:47 PM

Feb 2021
Just spent the last eight hours binge watching the EVA movies. This was a fantastic finale! It was so nice seeing how these movies relate to the TV show and End of Eva be resolved.

My only real question is what was Mari's role? My interpretation is that she is meant to be a self insert on purpose, and that her insertion in the cycle is what led to the end of all evangelions. I still enjoyed her character, even if I didn't get why she was there.

Goodbye Evangelion.
cryptic
and
Squab
Aug 13, 2021 7:50 PM

Oct 2017
FINALLY A HAPPY ENDING!!!!!!!!

ありがとうございます Hideaki Anno
Aug 13, 2021 7:53 PM
May 2011
I loved the first hour, really appreciated the slow character building stuff after having been away from the Eva nonsense for so long. The second half lost me for a bit but, wow, the ending was spectacular. Goodbye, Evangelion.
Aug 13, 2021 9:23 PM

May 2021
IM CRYING THEY FUCKING MADE IT MAN>.....
Aug 13, 2021 9:41 PM

Nov 2014
i love how at the part where gendo and shinji fight on the city with the evas, the CGI becomes wacky and unrealistic just to reveal they are fghting in an staged place, meaning the animation servers the purpose of showing the "fakeness" of the situation, two actors in a stage. lol
Aug 13, 2021 10:03 PM

Sep 2020
Good morning.
Good night.
Thank you.

Goodbye, Evangelion.
Aug 13, 2021 10:26 PM

Apr 2018
This movie was by no means perfect (and God knows Eva as a whole has always been far from it), but it still managed to be a heartfelt, bittersweet and ultimately satisfying send-off for the franchise. I'm very happy that the long wait was worth it in the end.

Thank you, Hideaki Anno and all the people at Gainax and Khara who worked with him throughout the years, for taking me on such a wonderful journey <3
Aug 14, 2021 12:00 AM

Dec 2019
i still don't know what just happened but "rei" was adorable

"i tried to drown an 8 year old once"
- @marinara-sauce

バンの一味

Aug 14, 2021 12:14 AM
Feb 2021
It's rare that a movie or an episode can ruin an entire franchise, but somehow this one managed to do it.
Aug 14, 2021 2:06 AM

Jun 2020
I liked the village part a lot. Glad there is a happy ending although I still prefer EoE
Aug 14, 2021 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
In my opinion it beats End Of Evangelion by far. Goodbye and Thank you Evangelion.
Aug 14, 2021 2:36 AM
Jun 2020
I am the only one or they didn't explain what happened in time skip ?
Aug 14, 2021 4:13 AM
Jul 2020
i really liked it, especially the soundtrack and how it serves as a conclusion to the evangelion story
Aug 14, 2021 5:03 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Last night I finished watching the movie after having to pause midway since I almost fell asleep. There were so many scenes where I got lost on what was happening on screen, if it was just symbolism or not and the dialogue certainly didn't. Amidst all that was a more direct ending than the original while still raising some questions, but the way they handled some of the characters like Gendo didn't quite convince me of their delivery.

Nevertheless, I might watch it again not only to try to understand it a little bit better but because of how much effort was put into the animation. Asuka, for example, had like 4 or 5 scenes where one could clearly see her movement in action very fluidly. The soundtrack also took the spotlight, specially at the very end, not only with the callbacks to the original but the added ones were pretty nifty as well.

In conclusion, while many may get lost like myself on what exactly does it all mean, it can be enjoyable, mostly presentation-wise. I wish this actually serves as a proper conclusion though something tells me that won't necessarily be the case.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Aug 14, 2021 6:44 AM

Nov 2014
That was something else. I imagine it felt like watching the phantom menace in theaters where you not sure if it's trash or a masterpiece.
Aug 14, 2021 8:11 AM

Feb 2013
Xenocrisi said:
Man I’m so sorry, but way too much CGI, especially the Ayanami scene. Why would they do that? Who thought it was a good idea to make big Ayanami’s face in CG? That was so horrible I couldn’t even look at it.
Unfortunately all of this influenced my experience greatly.

Story wise was pretty good and ending was fine. Expected way more from the long awaited finale.
8/10

I think the intention was to make it creepy... The giant Ayanami from the original EoE is terrifying, however make it fall in the Uncanny Valley is a bolder decision to make it even creepier... Not in a scary sense per se, it's rather... uncanny...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2021 12:30 PM

Jan 2015
Tebaldi said:
Xenocrisi said:
Man I’m so sorry, but way too much CGI, especially the Ayanami scene. Why would they do that? Who thought it was a good idea to make big Ayanami’s face in CG? That was so horrible I couldn’t even look at it.
Unfortunately all of this influenced my experience greatly.

Story wise was pretty good and ending was fine. Expected way more from the long awaited finale.
8/10

I think the intention was to make it creepy... The giant Ayanami from the original EoE is terrifying, however make it fall in the Uncanny Valley is a bolder decision to make it even creepier... Not in a scary sense per se, it's rather... uncanny...

It was just way too cringe, that’s it. I know what their intentions were, I can understand it, but that was not it. It was just bad. Should have been in 2D.
Aug 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Oct 2010
I'm out, this is just plain garbage compared to the original, I was a fool for expecting big things to happen.
It's just a dumb series of movies with our favorite characters from Neon Genesis Evangelion which aired back in 1995. I hope Anno retires from the animation world. I would love to use insults but this is just a MAL forum.

1st movie - 8/10
2nd movie - 8/10
3rd movie - 4/10
4th movie - 3/10
NGE + EnE - 10/10
Aug 14, 2021 5:04 PM
Jun 2020
Can't believe evangelion give me deppression for fvking decades then just ended it. so this is it huh we can finally say that this is FINALE
Aug 14, 2021 7:05 PM

Mar 2016
Fortress_Maximus said:

Well it might be "Goodbye, all Evangelions" (the new ones, that is), but I hope to rewatch the tv series once the pre-orders are open. It's been ages.

she is there https://imgur.com/OG93aQG
Tachikoma saves the day !!!
Aug 14, 2021 7:14 PM
Dec 2011
Wow! Really enjoyed my experience of this movie. Shinji all grown up T_T
Aug 14, 2021 9:43 PM

Nov 2008
Well, that was an interesting and entertaining mess. The oddest thing for me in this EVA redo movie, like in the earlier ones, was the use of a couple of the background songs from "Karekano". I guess that Anno liked them so much back then that he just had to use them again.

And I've got to laugh that mature Shinji gets hooked up with ass-pull girl Mari.

Otherwise, it probably would have looked better on a big screen in a theater.

And I kept on being reminded of a bastardized cross of RahXephon and Zegapain.

Never-the-less, it was worth watching. Maybe now Anno will have this out of his system and he can try something new and original. (He really ought to do a true collaboration with his wife Moyoko.
Aug 14, 2021 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
honestly, I need to re-watch this to give a better evaluation... there are many pros and cons to think about

Aug 15, 2021 1:52 AM
Apr 2020
And the Evangelion movie series finally ends...

I still don't know what to say after watching this. I mean I'm freakin mindblowed and speechless at the same time but this conclusion left so many questions in my mind. The amount of plotwist in this movie, as well as the other movie ones, are outrageously good and confusing. I guess that's Hideaki for you

I watched so many plot twister animes like Re:zero, Steins;Gate, Higurashi, Durara etc etc but this one.. I will never forget this one. Even if there's plenty of plotholes that leave us thinking, I guess it's up to us to decide which is what. As long as the ending satisfy me. I'm okay with that. And it happened :)

I REALLY want to give this a perfect 10/10 but I don't know.. I just couldn't. I want it but at the same time my mind tells me that its not worth a perfect rate. So I'll settle it with a 9/10 rate.

I guess I will try the old Neon Genesis Evangelion one sometime.. To at least compare which is better on roleplaying plots.
Aug 15, 2021 3:42 AM
Feb 2014
I loved this movie so damn much. Not as good as End of Evangelion but pretty damn close.
Aug 15, 2021 9:05 AM
Feb 2021
The end just felt wrong it was the worst ending of any movie I’ve seen. the first 50 minutes where grate and maid me existed for the rest of the movie but the rest was meh and the end sucked this is the worst anime I’ve seen and that’s coming from someone how gave every other pice of evangelion media a 10 but this is not an ending that works for me.
Aug 15, 2021 9:35 AM

Jul 2020
Shinji took all of it like a man. that was really great for him. finally got his voice matured lol that was great as well lol

the ending was a bit emotional for me. Magnificent every frame of the film

well done, Evangelion series, good one.
Aug 15, 2021 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
Kinda messy and inconsistent, but wonderful regardless. The third act in particular was absolutely spectacular. So glad Anno got to part with Evangelion on his own terms.
Take care of yourself

Aug 15, 2021 1:00 PM
Jul 2011
I added this to my list back in 2012. Finally it's finished!

Great ending!
Aug 15, 2021 1:16 PM
Nov 2018
I forgot most of the stuff since it’s been a while Since I saw everything, and parts of this movie didn’t make sense to me, but I thought this was an amazing send off for evangelion. Last 30 minutes broke me. Seeing grown up shinji was worth it. Incredible stuff
Aug 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Aug 2020
A nice conclusion to the remake line. The Rebuild series always made me think about where it would go, since it is quite different from the first line/Original. Shinji grew up and became more mature here, coming to terms with his father motives. Asuka seemed more compreensible here, compared to her other self. Her battle and attempt to destroy EVA 13 was impressive and baffling. About Mari, I liked her as a new character. She had her importance to Shinji's views throughout his development, and her part on plot was well put. "Other Rei"'s participation, even though short, was captivating. And her last scene was unexpected.

3.0 had this feeling of "what?", and gave hints of answers and a conclusion. And I think it was worthy. After all, it's a reboot but also a different perspective on the story. I liked it.

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » time loop or multiverse?

deg - Mar 19

11 by Bkm1995 »»
Mar 20, 9:16 PM

» Shinji's Jersey from EVA STORE

hohofish - Apr 15, 2021

1 by 1016jersey »»
Mar 15, 12:03 PM

» Shin Evangelion Movie: II???? Why change the title now?

Cestlavie_ - Nov 25, 2023

10 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 6, 8:40 AM

» Employee recruitment for the production of 3.0+1.0.

zacky1312 - May 23, 2018

2 by simeji8043 »»
Jan 22, 1:02 AM

Poll: » End of Eva vs Thrice Upon a Time

Draconix814 - Aug 18, 2021

47 by rohan121 »»
Jan 19, 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.