Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 12, 2021 3:56 PM

Jan 2021
"Satoko is a witch"

another amazing ep cant wait for next week
Aug 12, 2021 4:58 PM
Jul 2018
Satoko is planning something with everything she's been doing with her uncle, I'm curious to see how it all develops into the next few episodes.
Aug 12, 2021 5:59 PM
Jun 2020
Ah god Just get it over with. We get it Satoko is KINDA behind all this.
Aug 12, 2021 6:09 PM

Dec 2014
Gou/Sotsu's iteration of Satoko might be one of my most disliked characters ever. She's literally torturing her friends and manipulating everyone around her just to gain satisfaction from breaking them all, over and over again. I don't think she cares about getting her friend back at this point.

Some people defended her motives in the beginning, can you really defend her now?
Aug 12, 2021 6:11 PM

Oct 2014
Lelouch0202 said:
Some people defended her motives in the beginning, can you really defend her now?
I guess you haven't been reading up these threads so I'll be short with you...

Yes they can ._.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Aug 12, 2021 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
Lelouch0202 said:
Gou/Sotsu's iteration of Satoko might be one of my most disliked characters ever. She's literally torturing her friends and manipulating everyone around her just to gain satisfaction from breaking them all, over and over again. I don't think she cares about getting her friend back at this point.

Defend, as in, "this is in character for her"? Then yes, they will.

Hell, they are probably happy now that it's "confirmed" that Satoko is becoming a witch. Lambda's origin story, ladies and gentlemen. Exciting, isn't it?
Aug 12, 2021 7:26 PM
May 2021
vegeta8639 said:

You can come back in a few weeks when I'm proven right.

Which part, your stupid theory that Satoshi actually matters or that Rika was intended to break?

Listen I'm sorry you're butt hurt I think Satoshi literally doesn't matter to the plot anymore but I'm not the one writing this.
Aug 12, 2021 8:11 PM

Jan 2020
It's just stuff we've already seen or can easily assume happened and I don't care much.

At least chie sensei was cool

Aug 12, 2021 8:31 PM
Mar 2011
Oleogm said:
Everyone talking about how this can be a logical error of Lambda.

While me still don't get what is a "logical error"
I don't thing that it's something that's mentioned in Higurashi, so it doesn't really matter.
Aug 12, 2021 9:44 PM

Aug 2009
Lustreless said:
Now that's the Lambdadelta I know. I like how it bridges Higurashi and Umineko.
that's not the Lambdadelta we know.

What the hell are you all about?
Aug 12, 2021 10:37 PM

May 2020
Oleogm said:
Everyone talking about how this can be a logical error of Lambda.

While me still don't get what is a "logical error"

A logic error would be a contradiction of facts and or rules. Something akin to a plot hole. A logic error cant really happen in Higurashi. We dont even know if Higu is a game or not for sure.

Besides If I remember correctly Lambdas logic error is not specified to be related to her origin.

Even with what Eua says in Gou there is enough to reasonably assume that Lambda is not Satoko.

Ryuukishi is probably just screwing with Umineko readers. I doubt that hell go so far as to create the headache of a non linear meta world. That would be an insane mess and would create major problems in Uminekos story flow.

I doubt Even Lambda, having the balls to try and fight Featherine, would mess around with her own origin fragments. Lol. The perfecy way to damage or deny your own existance.
ChargecoulombAug 12, 2021 10:45 PM
Aug 13, 2021 12:01 AM

Jul 2016
Man, househusband Teppei in a flowered apron and maniac Satoko rolling on the ground scenes had me good xD

Anyways, another lame episode as usual. Of course the plot would help Satoko in keeping the domestic abuse farce alive. As if having an overly passive Rika not doing shit for her friend wasn't convenient enough...
By the way, I have lost count of the times Satoko has smirked in this current arc alone.
Aug 13, 2021 12:04 AM
Jun 2020
Got bored at episode 8. I don't know why? Maybe because it's predictable of the things on what Satoko wanted to played in the end of this fragment (issue of hojo tepei I meant)
Aug 13, 2021 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
Spade said:
Higurashi has done a lot of disgusting things over the years. But making me feel bad for fucking Teppei? They've gone way too far...

Damn this I felt..
The twists are real here..

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Aug 13, 2021 1:25 AM

Sep 2020
ssjokg said:
Fillerakashi-hen is going strong.

Who is that character? I get Teppei somehow starting to care for Satoko in order to escape death. How the fuck did he have full mental makeover except from when he has to deal with Satoko's "bullies" ? This is just jarring.

And yeah, lol no. That isnt a witch. Being a psycho bitch isnt a prerequisite. In fact all witches in Umineko , while cruel, can show a level of affection and even at their worst it is implied that it is facade. ALL of them.
And Lambda cant be Satoko because she doesnt know how Higurashi ends anyway. If Ryukishi and other fans want to cherry pick what 4th wall breaking is evidence and want isnt they should start there.

And Eua laughing like a third rate villain.....Remember Auau doing that? Me neither.

As another user said in last ep:
Vongalaxy said:
Glad to see that I somehow have a higher standards for good writing than an all knowing god.

That bitch better not be Auau.

EDIT: That Rika poker face when Satoko was "breaking down". Was that in Gou? Damn...

how do you know that isn't Lambdadelta?. I was the entire Gou saying that this can't be Lambda birth i hope that's right and my doubts of this relly be her birth are wrong i am having second doubts.

So many people here always saying the same thing that this is Lambad's birth every single episode since Gou.

I watched Umineko even speed read Umineko manga to see anything telling that this is Lambda's birth but found nothing only a piece of text but tells only about takano.
Shiki is the best anime and unique with his style design, you can't change my mind from it
Aug 13, 2021 1:28 AM

Aug 2009
UltimatMax said:
ssjokg said:
Fillerakashi-hen is going strong.

Who is that character? I get Teppei somehow starting to care for Satoko in order to escape death. How the fuck did he have full mental makeover except from when he has to deal with Satoko's "bullies" ? This is just jarring.

And yeah, lol no. That isnt a witch. Being a psycho bitch isnt a prerequisite. In fact all witches in Umineko , while cruel, can show a level of affection and even at their worst it is implied that it is facade. ALL of them.
And Lambda cant be Satoko because she doesnt know how Higurashi ends anyway. If Ryukishi and other fans want to cherry pick what 4th wall breaking is evidence and want isnt they should start there.

And Eua laughing like a third rate villain.....Remember Auau doing that? Me neither.

As another user said in last ep:

That bitch better not be Auau.

EDIT: That Rika poker face when Satoko was "breaking down". Was that in Gou? Damn...

how do you know that isn't Lambdadelta?. I was the entire Gou saying that this can't be Lambda birth i hope that's right and my doubts of this relly be her birth are wrong i am having second doubts.

So many people here always saying the same thing that this is Lambad's birth every single episode since Gou.

I watched Umineko even speed read Umineko manga to see anything telling that this is Lambda's birth but found nothing only a piece of text but tells only about takano.

Well for starters Lambdadelta doesn't know how Higurashi ends. Whether that is the OG or GouSotsu who knows but either way, Satoko right now clearly knows how that ends, she even watched the OG.

Anyway, as others have said, Lambdadelta is for sure a mix of Takano and Satoko, not a single individual.
Aug 13, 2021 1:42 AM

Sep 2020
ssjokg said:
UltimatMax said:

Well for starters Lambdadelta doesn't know how Higurashi ends. Whether that is the OG or GouSotsu who knows but either way, Satoko right now clearly knows how that ends, she even watched the OG.

Anyway, as others have said, Lambdadelta is for sure a mix of Takano and Satoko, not a single individual.

I only thought that the only way to be a witch was just like Beatrice became one as well, and how she turned Maria Ushiromiya and Rosa Maria Ushiromiya into witches. I thought that was it and Featherine would do the same Satoko in the end that was my conclusion after this episode.
Shiki is the best anime and unique with his style design, you can't change my mind from it
Aug 13, 2021 1:46 AM

Jan 2013
PinkShibaInu said:
vegeta8639 said:

You can come back in a few weeks when I'm proven right.

Which part, your stupid theory that Satoshi actually matters or that Rika was intended to break?

Listen I'm sorry you're butt hurt I think Satoshi literally doesn't matter to the plot anymore but I'm not the one writing this.

My theory about the ending which should be obvious if you actually paid attention while reading my post.
The problem is you are incapable of making a distinction between the current state of the show with all the knowledge we have, and my analysis of what Rika should do with the knowledge currently available to her. This concept is called "theory of mind" and children usually develop it at around 3 years of age but maybe you had some difficulty with it.

And no shit Rika is "meant to break" if Satoko's plan works but you're the one coming up with stupid theories that Rika is too boring and inactive to bother breaking so Satoko is gonna just give up without Rika ever doing anything.
If that actually happens then by all means come back in a few weeks and I'll admit I was wrong but there's literally a 0% chance that's where the story will go.
Aug 13, 2021 1:48 AM

May 2020
Didnt Lambda say something about having never met Featherine?

Lambda makes more sense as the force keeping Rika stuck in eternal july be it Takano or Satoko rather than one of them. Nothing more.
Aug 13, 2021 2:49 AM

Sep 2020
Chargecoulomb said:
Didnt Lambda say something about having never met Featherine?

Lambda makes more sense as the force keeping Rika stuck in eternal july be it Takano or Satoko rather than one of them. Nothing more.

ssjokg said:
UltimatMax said:

So iif people knew from the manga that Lambada didn't said anything about meteing featherine why the fuck people were always saying this was Lambad's origin story?

Just because Featherine appear was the only reason for saying that?
Aug 13, 2021 2:53 AM
Mar 2011
UltimatMax said:
So iif people knew from the manga that Lambada didn't said anything about meteing featherine why the fuck people were always saying this was Lambad's origin story? just because Featherine appear was only for that reason?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Neither Lambda nor Featherine were mentioned in the show so far.
Aug 13, 2021 3:02 AM

Aug 2009
UltimatMax said:
ssjokg said:

I only thought that the only way to be a witch was just like Beatrice became one as well, and how she turned Maria Ushiromiya and Rosa Maria Ushiromiya into witches. I thought that was it and Featherine would do the same Satoko in the end that was my conclusion after this episode.

UltimatMax said:

So iif people knew from the manga that Lambada didn't said anything about meteing featherine why the fuck people were always saying this was Lambad's origin story?

Just because Featherine appear was the only reason for saying that?

Cause a they are jumping the gun or are dumb af.

R07 should reread Umineko if he really plans to make Satoko be Lambda's origin story.
Aug 13, 2021 3:04 AM

Aug 2009
naens said:
UltimatMax said:
So iif people knew from the manga that Lambada didn't said anything about meteing featherine why the fuck people were always saying this was Lambad's origin story? just because Featherine appear was only for that reason?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Neither Lambda nor Featherine were mentioned in the show so far.

Well except for all that Ciconia refs, numerous CERTAINTY one liners and the Featherine look alike...... Yeah nothing was mentioned...
Aug 13, 2021 3:06 AM
Mar 2011
ssjokg said:

R07 should reread Umineko if he really plans to make Satoko be Lambda's origin story.
What if it's only references and look-alikes and totally unrelated to Umineko? I think people are trying to see more than what they are shown.
Aug 13, 2021 3:09 AM

Aug 2009
naens said:
ssjokg said:

What if it's only references and look-alikes and totally unrelated to Umineko? I think people are trying to see more than what they are shown.
I mean... yeah I agree. The problem is that many treat it as if all of that matter for Higurashi and to an extent Umineko and Ciconia.

Aug 13, 2021 3:27 AM

Jul 2012

Today in Sotsu, likely the episode that had the most recaps so far, a fair 50% (around 10-ish minutes?) was just a repetition from Tataridamashi 2. That's kinda annoying, they could have trimmed it and gifted us some more Uncle T goodness (WHOLESOME TEPPEI WITH APRON, WHAT A SIGHT TO SEE!).

Satoko rolling in the grass was basically ASKING to be memed too lol
Kinda darklish funny how much she contrasts with her friends genuine worry for her, what a complete faker, manipulative bitch! She is totally a Light Yagami character right now (And poor Uncle T btw, dude is doing his best to be a better person and genuinely is willing to do anything for her, even to hold down his explosive anger with tears of frustration not to go against Satoko's will of not bothering with the so-called bullies picking on her every day).

Well, her being a complete manipulative bastard of a mastermind is likely how she topped this month's Newtype (Higurashi domination in the popularity polls, and and as top1 series of the month, which is kind of a surprise considering how many monthly voters SAO, Fate, Gundam and Detective Conan have in there, not to mention the shit ton of isekais). as well as likely why people in Japan are loving it so much (judging by the japanese twitter reactions and fanarts every week).

Anyway, Teppei always has been a bad person up to this point, there's not much he can't do here either, and Satoko just asks him not to do anything that may make people get them separated like they are "trying to" (which is true, but for the best reasons lol).

It's sorta fucked up how Satoko technically didn't lie, and yet, she caused such a crazy situation with oscar worthy façade like the tremendous fucker she is being right now :v

NOW THEN, for the important new stuff, I actually have some wild guesses of my own. Because this is getting very Umineko right now:

Although since Minagoroshi we already have the whole witch talk in Higurashi (more of an alterego loopers come to create after looping too much, such as Rika to Bernkastel), and I do consider this to follow Umineko stuff when it comes to that (aka Saikoroshi content, as I will expand upon soon), I do feel like the way Eua framed Humans and Witches is SO MUCH MORE reminiscing of Umineko instead.

In Saikoroshi, Rika part ways with her Bernkastel self and thus why she is what she is in Umineko, a shadow of her true self, in big Jungian terms, since, it is in fact a part of her that represents who she truly is, a selfish, cynical defeatist that don't really care for her friend's survival as long as that can prolongue her own life a bit more every loop, and never bothering to actually try more than just that to do a thing until K1 started actively doing that in her place, and also her friends (to quote her directly), and how Rika from Matsuribayashi left that part of her go in order to do what needs to be done, and kill her mom in that cursed fragment (Which may be a dream? May be not?).

That give us implications on Hanyuu, which in turn makes me think about Eua's actual role in all this. She definitely has an agenda of her own (boredom? trying to make Rika stay in Hinamizawa?) and is making Satoko do the dirty work for her, as (according to Ryukishi in the another interview), while not playing an active role as an antagonist, letting Satoko do her thing, he also implies in that same sentence that she came to her with a purpose, in the utmost convenient time to do so.

If the red thing indicates anything regarding looper and witch shenanigans, and if Saikoroshi was indeed "a dream" as told by Hanyuu, we are still having some Bernkastel Rika witch thing going on, as well as Satoko's own looper alter-ego.

It always start like that in both Higurashi and Umineko at the very least. Person with psychological problems and a shitty life creates an alter ego for themselves to cope with them, said alter ego actually lives as an entity in the collective immaginary of the world and metafictional craze happens.

Was true for Rika, with all of her looping shenanigans making her become a "Witch" herself, likely true for Satoko, and the red eyes thing is basically Satoko combating with her centenary alter ego (similar to how Rika did in Saikoroshi with Bernkastel), and it's most definitely true in Umineko, to which is also attributed to those kinds of people that are also witches usually being a harbinger of misery at some point, hell, in Umineko EP1 they enter in detail about witches representing coping personas of those sorts of people (in the example, Maria), and turned out to be a major plot point later on, when it come to dissociative identity disorders.

Plot point that is being mechanically introduced and expanded upon beyond psychological terms in Ciconia as well, interestingly enough.

All that considered, and leaks as well, I can say at the very least that Bastardtoko seem to be as much of a coping persona to Satoko as Bernkastel was to Rika, also, of course, being their true selves in one way or another, Rika is for real as much of a cynical selfish bitch as Bernkastel herself, in the OG Higurashi, for all those years she admitedly didn't really gave a damn for those around her dying, so long as she could move some straws using them to live a little longer... except Satoko, which means more to her than everyone else and was the sole reason she wouldn't suicide not to leave her to die alone in the kakera, really.

Which reminds me, don't you just find a bit annoying when your BFF is likely getting abused at home? I kinda hate went that happens, especially during weekends, personally.
https://imgur.com/gallery/qgRRQG2

Rika's "welp, so sad, nothing to Nipah about" poker face strikes again heh, never let the meme die!

At least we will get more emotion in her face again in the next ep, but still, funny how she just stares like :/ in all iterations of this scene lol (better than in the VN, in which she wasn't even part of the scene and have no reaction whasoever even in sprite... then again, Rena steals the scene regardless, more so in the VN, which is a shame they skipped her proactiveness in being protective of Satoko in the previous adaptation, as well as K1's meltdown, such a nice chapter).

Well. all that said, this was a fine transition episode. Recapped many things not really needed, by all means, but still, the additions were really nice (can't have enough of Satoko being a magnificent bitch, I really have a lot of fun with bastard characters like this).

If we are truly going back to Higurashi's witch plot that have barely been addressed in WTC outside Umineko (which was kinda all about that), that get my hopes up for an Umineko revival at last.

This episode kinda gave us the first direct connection to Umineko when it comes to a metaworld character talking about Humans and Witches (which Satoko already is for a while, I'm guessing, she has red eyes ever since she relived for 100 years the OG Higu plot, iirc).

3/5 (could be higher if it had less recaps, because that would prob mean more Uncle T doing cute things).
DanpmssAug 13, 2021 4:36 AM
Aug 13, 2021 4:17 AM
Oct 2019
Wow...
Double Face Satoko.
She really acting all of that.
Poor Teppei just become a tool for Satoko.

That Cliffhanger, if that was also an acting, she really deserve an Oscar.
Lmao

davidyodo24Aug 13, 2021 4:25 AM
Aug 13, 2021 4:26 AM
Oct 2019
Neither Lambda, Umineko or Featherine were mentioned in the show so far.
Why y'all talking about it in this disscussion?

Are we ignoring this rule now?
"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."
Aug 13, 2021 4:37 AM

Aug 2009
davidyodo24 said:
Neither Lambda, Umineko or Featherine were mentioned in the show so far.
Why y'all talking about it in this disscussion?

Are we ignoring this rule now?
"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."

Yes that is gonna work well with series that are in multiple media forms and NEED each other to make sense when they try to go so deep in lore..

Whether I agree or not, many WTC fans enjoy GouSotsu because of its connections to Umineko and Ciconia.

Good luck convincing people to not talk about the direct and indirect connections between them.
Aug 13, 2021 5:37 AM

Jul 2016
Okay now this episode was trash, felt like watching a recap and seriously I really want a proper explanation for Satoko's personality shift. Why did she laugh so many times, she isnt L5 wtf.

How the hell did she become so twisted?!
At least with Featherine it at least makes sense how she laughes at this.

And I probably forgot but why does Satoko not care about her brother at all anymore?

I mean I always treated this show as a spinoff and wasn't particularly bothered by a lot of things because of that but still there is a limit in how much I can suspend my disbelief. At least I hope its gonna have an entertaining ending.

I really like Teppei now tho so thats kinda neat.

And man my hopes for a good Umineko anime are kinda crushed at this point. Maybe should just reread the vn, been over a decade already but fuck no time.
Hero_LukaAug 13, 2021 5:47 AM
Aug 13, 2021 6:55 AM

Oct 2008
hahaha! Eua's so entertained with Satoko! HAHAHA!!!
such a schemer!!!
5/5.

Aug 13, 2021 6:58 AM
Sep 2020
I think Sotsu would be really great if Satoko had a moment where she was human again. Like her having a real breakdown about the things she did, and experiencing guilt, only to try to push the feelings away. It would be a lot easier to try to empathize with her if that happened. Although, I don’t think we’ll get that in any of these answer arcs lol. One can dream though.
Aug 13, 2021 8:46 AM
Jan 2010
fuck yes please link into umineko and let's have a shitty but entertaining sidestory for it too
Aug 13, 2021 10:26 AM
Nov 2011
Lot of comments here and there about link or not with Umineko... It seems quite obvious for me to be honest.

Eventually, the word "witch" has been used. Lambda Delta in Umineko is purchasing Frederica, and I'm quite sure the end of this anime will reach this conclusion. I'm glad to spoil you with certainty: Satoko will die BEFORE Rika, she will loss her traces in the sea of fragments and BAM, we have the origins of our preferred witches.

Plus Featherine-like, plus cross references to Ciconia and Umineko regarding Satoko names...

Coming back to the episode itself, I agree: it's boring. I'm just watching for the meta explanation and the bits of originality they drop there and there.
Aug 13, 2021 10:35 AM
Jul 2021
The scene where satoko was rolling was hilarious when it shouldnt be

Aug 13, 2021 10:49 AM

May 2013
im starting to think i need umineko for this (read half of it(the manga)). If not, I have a hard time seeing how Satoko could be Lambdadelta, their eyes don't even match... lol
either way im off to read the rest of it
Aug 13, 2021 10:59 AM
Nov 2011
besercar said:
im starting to think i need umineko for this (read half of it(the manga)). If not, I have a hard time seeing how Satoko could be Lambdadelta, their eyes don't even match... lol
either way im off to read the rest of it

You don't need Umineko for this.
You just need Umineko.
Aug 13, 2021 12:30 PM

Oct 2019
I know the whole season has been pretty slow and very recycled but god damn. I can't remember the last time I was this bored watching something. Everything moves at a snail's pace, especially when every other shot is just Satoko grinning with that shitty red eye effect.
Aug 13, 2021 1:25 PM

Sep 2009
Damn. I need a GIF of Satoko rolling on the ground.
Aug 13, 2021 1:26 PM

Jan 2013
vegeta8639 said:

Just tell Satoko the truth about her brother and convince Irie to let Satoko see him.

I keep seeing your stupid comments every week. Not stupid in content, but in assumptions. We all know that current Satoko knows about nii-nii's state. She said farewell to the boy near the end of Gou. She already knows the truth. She's already seen him. Please pay attention to the work you're complaining about.

... if at all possible.
Just a doctor's recommendation.
Aug 13, 2021 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
MadaoPriest said:
vegeta8639 said:

Just tell Satoko the truth about her brother and convince Irie to let Satoko see him.

I keep seeing your stupid comments every week. Not stupid in content, but in assumptions. We all know that current Satoko knows about nii-nii's state. She said farewell to the boy near the end of Gou. She already knows the truth. She's already seen him. Please pay attention to the work you're complaining about.

... if at all possible.
Well Madao, Satoko may already know Nii-Nii's state, but Rika doesn't know Satoko knows.
Rika could try to solve something by revealing this stuff to Satoko, but would it do anything? Can't tell, probably not.

What it would do however, is that it'd make an interesting scene, but I guess that would be too complicated to animate.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Aug 13, 2021 1:48 PM

Sep 2020
Nothing of interest happened for 90% of the episode and that's not an exaggeration. We've already seen most of this in Tataridamashi-hen, just with some scenes from Satoko's POV.

Like, what's with making the answer arcs almost identical to their respective question arcs? That just makes the answer arcs boring. It's the reason why I don't like Meakashi-hen compared to the other answers arcs btw.

Anyways, I have a prediction about how this show will end.
Ryu is going to pull an Ange and make it so that all of the events that transpired here were all apart of Satoko's dream. Older Satoko wakes up back in the storehouse. Satoko then studies hard in St. Lucia and graduates with Rika. They then meet their old friends in Hinamizawa again. The end. Oh yeah and Lambdadelta could be the manifestation of Satoko's dreams or something like that.

It's kind of a stupid prediction though so I hope that we get a better ending then that.
Aug 13, 2021 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
MadaoPriest said:
vegeta8639 said:

... if at all possible.

Jesus fuck, do none of you people have basic reading comprehension? I said in my very first post that it would OBVIOUSLY not work now because Satoko's being a little bitch and actually faking the entire uncle situation.

I'm saying from RIKA'S PERSPECTIVE, she thinks Satoko is putting up with her uncle to protect Satoshi's room thinking he might come back if she does so.
So if Rika were to reveal the truth about Satoshi, it might make Satoko more willing to either leave the house or tell CWS the truth.
So I am just disappointed that instead of doing something proactive and logical like that, Rika is still moping as if the situation is hopeless. As if the last 2 arcs of the original series never happened. I don't like the way they're writing Rika in these new seasons at all.
Aug 13, 2021 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Hulio said:
Well Madao, Satoko may already know Nii-Nii's state, but Rika doesn't know Satoko knows.
Rika could try to solve something by revealing this stuff to Satoko, but would it do anything? Can't tell, probably not.

What it would do however, is that it'd make an interesting scene, but I guess that would be too complicated to animate.

"I guess it would be too complicated to animate."
What kind of low effort jab is this? Maybe Ryuukishi's just weighed what's more important to depict over your sudden idea? Maybe he actually thought 5 steps ahead, realising that "wait, Rika wouldn't tell Satoko about Satoshi because she knows that would break her."
Why would that break her further? Because she lives with hope in her heart that he's still out there, that he'll come back home and save her in her time of need. Rika believes that Satoko still clings to this hope, a hope she's actually abandoned since the final episodes of Gou. (Hint: The scene where she says bye bye to nii-nii. Hint 2: Her Keiichi nii-nii psychosis at the end of this arc.)

vegeta8639 said:

Jesus fuck, do none of you people have basic reading comprehension? I said in my very first post that it would OBVIOUSLY not work now because Satoko's being a little bitch and actually faking the entire uncle situation.

I'm saying from RIKA'S PERSPECTIVE, she thinks Satoko is putting up with her uncle to protect Satoshi's room thinking he might come back if she does so.
So if Rika were to reveal the truth about Satoshi, it might make Satoko more willing to either leave the house or tell CWS the truth.
So I am just disappointed that instead of doing something proactive and logical like that, Rika is still moping as if the situation is hopeless. As if the last 2 arcs of the original series never happened. I don't like the way they're writing Rika in these new seasons at all.

I do have reading comprehension. Eyes, as well. You know what Rika also feels from her perspective? What she knows from her perspective? That, like I told Mr. Konata pfp, Satoko would break if she heard that Satoshi was in a coma, and that he won't ever come save her from her hardships. Of course we both know that Satoko said farewell to her nii-nii in Gou, don't we? Or did you forget that scene?

Again, it's only proactive and logical to someone like you; someone who clearly hasn't factored in Rika's in-depth understanding of who she believes Satoko still is. Rika's actually shown to start questioning Satoko's act in this episode, but that's when Satoko pulls the fake puking act sympathy card to trip her Rika. Rika isn't stupid, you are. Rika knows that hope is what Satoko needs right now. Telling Satoko that her brother is in a coma, suffering from an untreatable illness; that he'll probably never wake up to save her again? Yeah, sure, that definitely fixes everything. That will definitely help the Satoko who Rika thinks she still knows. For sure.

Very logical. Very proactive.

Start paying attention before you complain next time, please.
MadaoPriestAug 13, 2021 6:50 PM
Aug 13, 2021 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
NekoArc666 said:
Nothing of interest happened for 90% of the episode and that's not an exaggeration.

Let's see... after subtracting the OP and ED sequences, we're left with about 20 minutes of content. If 90% isn't "of interest", that means about 2 minutes of content was of interest to you? I'd love to hear which two minutes were! The scenes with Eua? Teppei crying on screen for the first time in the series? How Satoko actually told the truth to the CWC, giving credence to the welfare worker in Gou's strict professionalism and adherence to client confidentiality? Or Satoko's slow descent into madness, from rolling around in a rice field to giddily preparing to have her fake puke-out moment? Or maybe something else, maybe none of these things were of interest and you just knew these things happened or were gonna happen since Gou?

I sure as hell didn't know how Satoko handled Teppei during this arc, especially after they've displayed the trauma that still rests in her heart; as pointed out by Eua in episode 23 of Gou. How she deals with her reformed Uncle is a continous guessing game: Does she learn to live and forget? How does she feel, going from not being able to touch his hand; to actually holding it a few episodes ago? Did Teppei return at the end of this arc just because of his Keiichi dream? Or did he return to save Satoko from a self-imposed delusion; sparked on by her or Eua? Does he get arrested by Oiishi, only to break out during the afternoon? Would he still be the kind of character to do such a thing? To answer these questions, we need to see how Satoko handles Teppei during this arc. But maybe that isn't of interest.

Anyhow, feel free to tell us all about which two minutes of content were of interest, and why the other 18 weren't! Seeing as you weren't exaggerating, you know?
MadaoPriestAug 13, 2021 6:49 PM
Aug 13, 2021 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
MadaoPriest said:

I do have reading comprehension. Eyes, as well. You know what Rika also feels from her perspective? What she knows from her perspective? That, like I told Mr. Konata pfp, Satoko would break if she heard that Satoshi was in a coma, and that he won't ever come save her from her hardships.

Well if you have reading comprehension, I don't know how you missed the part of my first post on here where I said: "This wouldn't actually work now for obvious reasons but I just thought of another way Rika could actually solve the Satoko's uncle situation with her new knowledge. " and went on to explain why it wouldn't work on current Satoko because blah blah blah so I'm stupid for suggesting it.

And yea I have no fucking clue why you think Satoko would break if she found out her brother was alive and being treated by Irie rather than being missing or dead in a ditch somewhere. Regardless her "breaking" here would also have to be worse than her "breaking" from staying with her uncle to make it not worth a shot, and again worst case it would go poorly and Rika would start over again.

MadaoPriest said:

Of course we both know that Satoko said farewell to her nii-nii in Gou, don't we? Or did you forget that scene?

Yes? And Rika didn't see that scene making it completely and utterly irrelevant to her making this decision so I don't see why you're even bringing it up.
It's like you seriously don't have theory of mind, this is fucking insane.

MadaoPriest said:

Again, it's only proactive and logical to someone like you; someone who clearly hasn't factored in Rika's in-depth understanding of who she believes Satoko still is. Rika's actually shown to start questioning Satoko's act in this episode, but that's when she pulls the fake puking act sympathy card to trip her up. Rika isn't stupid, you are. Rika knows that hope is what Satoko needs right now. Telling Satoko that her brother is in a coma, suffering from an untreatable illness and that he'll probably never wake up to save her again? Yeah, sure, that definitely fixes everything. That will definitely help the Satoko who Rika thinks she still knows. For sure.

Very logical. Very proactive.

Start paying attention before you complain next time, please.

You know this smug condescending rant might actually be convincing to someone who didn't watch the show or play the visual novel, to know that Rika understood Satoko SO well that she completely gave up on her every single time her uncle even came back until the second to last world where she managed to convince Satoko to ask for help on the phone to CWS causing the police to break in and arrest her uncle.
If there's anybody who understands that Satoko might actually be strong enough to hear the truth, it should be post original series Rika since she was already wrong about Satoko being strong enough to stand up to her uncle.

Meanwhile you're asserting that the reason for Rika not trying this plan is because she understands Satoko so perfectly that she knows it's not even worth a try, when both us and Rika know from the original story that she didn't understand Satoko as well as she thought. And if she does understand her better now, it would be tilting towards Satoko being strong enough to hear it.
What you're saying would only make sense when applied to the pre Minagoroshi Rika, and even then you're just pulling the justification out of your ass. They didn't show Rika considering the idea in the show and deciding against it.
You'd have to appeal to some really subtle writing in a show that's been extremely over the top and over explanatory for everything else so far.

Improve your reading comprehension, maybe look up what "theory of mind" is and learn how to pay attention while watching a show before jumping into random arguments and accusing other people of not paying attention.
Aug 13, 2021 10:42 PM

Sep 2020
MadaoPriest said:
NekoArc666 said:
Nothing of interest happened for 90% of the episode and that's not an exaggeration.

Let's see... after subtracting the OP and ED sequences, we're left with about 20 minutes of content. If 90% isn't "of interest", that means about 2 minutes of content was of interest to you? I'd love to hear which two minutes were! The scenes with Eua? Teppei crying on screen for the first time in the series? How Satoko actually told the truth to the CWC, giving credence to the welfare worker in Gou's strict professionalism and adherence to client confidentiality? Or Satoko's slow descent into madness, from rolling around in a rice field to giddily preparing to have her fake puke-out moment? Or maybe something else, maybe none of these things were of interest and you just knew these things happened or were gonna happen since Gou?

I sure as hell didn't know how Satoko handled Teppei during this arc, especially after they've displayed the trauma that still rests in her heart; as pointed out by Eua in episode 23 of Gou. How she deals with her reformed Uncle is a continous guessing game: Does she learn to live and forget? How does she feel, going from not being able to touch his hand; to actually holding it a few episodes ago? Did Teppei return at the end of this arc just because of his Keiichi dream? Or did he return to save Satoko from a self-imposed delusion; sparked on by her or Eua? Does he get arrested by Oiishi, only to break out during the afternoon? Would he still be the kind of character to do such a thing? To answer these questions, we need to see how Satoko handles Teppei during this arc. But maybe that isn't of interest.

Anyhow, feel free to tell us all about which two minutes of content were of interest, and why the other 18 weren't! Seeing as you weren't exaggerating, you know?
Who said that I knew this would happen since Gou? I did however know that all of the things you mentioned would happen because of the previous episode due to Satoko's absurdly good acting skills. There really wasn't much of a mystery there. Also Eua really doesn't impact the plot in any way in the middle of arcs and is only there to give generic reactions for certain events.

Her trauma regarding Teppei was only apparent in Gou. In Sotsu now, Satoko just uses him in her schemes without thinking twice about her decisions. If she truly was scared of Teppei at this point, then she wouldn't have asked Teppei to move to Hinamizawa. That would have been an extra factor in Satoko's schemes. As for the other things you mention, such as Teppei's purpose or how Teppei kills K1, those are questions for the next episodes to answer and still doesn't change that this episode 90% pointless for me.

Now ironically, despite naming most of the things that happened this episode, you didn't even bother mentioning the actual interesting part of this episode: That Satoko's witch personality is losing control over Satoko's actual personality at the very end of the episode. That was the only thing I found interesting and I'm pretty sure that scene is within 2 minutes, right? See? The statement you quoted makes sense now, right?

Funnily enough though, even that scene wasn't too interesting since I already saw the leaks of Satoko's dual personality beforehand, I just didn't know that this was the episode where they reveal that information.
Aug 13, 2021 11:12 PM

May 2020
@Madaopriest

Wouldn't the thought of her brother being treated for HS rather than assumed dead / left due to her bring more comfort to Satoko?

Its up to interpretation but Satoko never expected Satoshi to come back. Her trying to protect this stuff in Minagoroshi was just her trying to preserve his memory. One of the reasons she takes Rikas 'betrayal' so badly, is because she assumes that like Satoshi, Rika will never come back to her.

Knowing that Satoshi hadnt really abandoned her would really help Satoko. Because before looping she thinks that Satoshi left because of her.

Rika would tell Satoko, but keep in mind, Rika is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. (and she has returned to being passive observer in Gou, rather than an active participant) It never occurred to her to use her invisible buddy to figure out who or what was killing her after all. Satoko has way more emotional maturity that what people give her credit for in the OG, Matsubiriyashi and Miotsukushi show this to an extent.

Rikas faith in Satoko was misplaced before Minagoroshi. Hanyuu calls her out on this.

Why doesn't Rika check up on Takano until Nekodamashi?
Why does Rika give Keichii cryptic hints rather than being straight forward?
Why does she let Tomitake disappear when she knows that this lowers her chances of beating Takano to a extremely low level?

Because she's gone back to being a near Passive observer, who waits for Keichii to save Satoko for her. That is a seperate problem in itself, but that is why Rika doesn't even try to explain things to Satoko.

The moment where Rika starts seriously suspecting Satoko is probably after Takano confessed and asked her for forgiveness.

Gou already showed us that Teppei wanted to go to extents to please Satoko. Thus we put two and two together to understand that Satoko was taking advantage of him. We had already come up with this before Sotsu.

Gou/Sotsu makes a specific point that Rika does NOT understand Satoko. Neither does Satoko really understand Rika.
ChargecoulombAug 14, 2021 2:34 AM
Aug 14, 2021 4:29 AM

Dec 2008
Seriously, I've never laughed that much during another episode of Higurashi.
Satoko betraying everyone way too easily, while keeping her victim role in both cases.

On the other hand this destroys these sad and meaningful events from previous seasons, where it was no acting of her. Still it was funny to see the evil play of Satoko this time, it was smarter than everything before.

Ok, the others are idiots, don't you all also think that Rika looks extremely dumb in this season so far? She is just so passive and clueless about everything, it annoys me to no end. If she stays like this Satoko just keeps going on, with more sick ideas.

I really hope that the child care thing will be trimmed and be as short as possible, I know what happens please don't repeat every minute of it again .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 5:57 AM
Nov 2011
Chargecoulomb said:

Because she's gone back to being a near Passive observer, who waits for Keichii to save Satoko for her. That is a seperate problem in itself, but that is why Rika doesn't even try to explain things to Satoko.

I'm not so sure about it. It is quite hinted in the Visual Novel and even in Gou that some key moments of the story are sufficient to avoid the tragedy: Keiichi giving the doll to Mion, Keiichi opening the door to Rena, avoid Oishi to investigate... Rika is trying her past solutions to break the loop, but the rules have changed, as the gamemaster.

If you consider the Gou events, Rika is already ready to erase herself after 5 try with the "I don't remember the name" sword. It may explain her "passive" mood, but I think she's just depressed to be back in Hinamizawa for hundred years again.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

412 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

395 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2021

215 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

121 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2021

124 by xxdaisiesxx »»
Jan 17, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.