Forum Settings
Forums

IOC demanded an explanation from Russian TV for homophobic mocking of LGBTQ athletes at the Olympics

New
Aug 5, 2021 11:27 AM

Apr 2012
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58029133

All of this mostly comes from cheesy political talk shows, but I can quite understand the reasons for the complaints. An open description of "disgust" for queer people in one talk show (including Russian variants of f-word) and an open parody of trans people in another is something beyond the boundaries of simple criticism of woke trends.

And this at a time when the official Russian broadcasts of the Olympic Games were more or less friendly towards queer athletes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 5, 2021 11:41 AM

Nov 2008
It's Russia, what do you expect. This is the same country I keep talking about over their incredibly vague and potentially dangerous antigay law. All this is doing is confirming what I always thought it was from the beginning, a license to hate solely based on being gay and not to preserve family values like the law was intended to do.

Aug 5, 2021 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
how the hell do they even understand russian? not even russians understand russian
Aug 5, 2021 11:48 AM

Apr 2012
Hoppy said:
It's Russia, what do you expect. This is the same country I keep talking about over their incredibly vague and potentially dangerous antigay law. All this is doing is confirming what I always thought it was from the beginning, a license to hate solely based on being gay and not to preserve family values like the law was intended to do.

Well, I don't know what political talk shows look like in other countries, but in Russia it is basically like the political section of the imageboard, where cheesy patriots on both sides try to figure out who is the bigger clown. This is such a silly place that Russian YouTubers even made memetic reviews of it.
Aug 5, 2021 11:53 AM

Jul 2015
Russia is homophobic and transphobic, who would have thought?

Didn't this happen last winter Olympics held in Russia anyway? Pretty sure they got smacked for oppressing gays back then, and Putin said something like "ok we're going to stop randomly oppressing gays for the duration of the olympics but please, faggots, stay away from the children". (Not an exact quote but an accurate one, sadly)

Putin = Drumpf but competent and intelligent. He's been surfing on the scummiest kind of populism since decades. Doubt the man cares about gays or traditions or any of that shit, he's just saying what he needs to say to appeal to the dumbest majority.
DeathkoAug 5, 2021 11:57 AM
Aug 5, 2021 1:27 PM

Sep 2010
Yeah, the motherland of t.A.T.u. and Boris Moiseev, as well as biggest fans of Verka Serduychka (after his native Ukraine, mind it), surely are the biggest homophobic country on Earth, not like there are multiple Religion of Peace(tm) countries where it's against the law, I wonder how come we still have two (or is it three?) gay clubs in my backwater shithole of a city.
Competent and intelligent? Oh dear. Somebody with this level of chuunibyou should never speak about Russian politics.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.