Forum Settings
Forums

Make it more convenient for users to block and ignore users with "block"/"unblock" and "ignore/unignore" buttons on profiles

New
Aug 5, 2021 12:47 AM

Mar 2008
Currently to block or ignore a user you have to go into settings and manually write in (or copy and paste) a user"s name (which Im not sure if this blocks any user with that name for any moment or if it blocks the user by their user ID number and updates with their new names? Later of which is better) and to remove them it also can only be done on the settings page. I propose streamlining the process by also adding a button and a button to ignore on user profiles to the left of their profile "report" button that says "block user" And "ignore user" and when blocked can say "unblock user" and "unignore user" and the block function should automatically upon being clicked ad the user to the list of blocked users in user settings while ignore does the same for the ignored users. Many users do not know or forget they can block or ignore users. Being able to block users more easily will help reduce conflict with some users and reduce modding requirements in the community.  There also should be a confirmation popup that explains what blocking or ignoring a user does and explains how to undo it later.  

EDIT: expanded my explanation to also include ignoring users which is another feature that gets overlooked by some users. 
traedJul 27, 2023 12:01 AM
Aug 5, 2021 6:03 AM

Dec 2019
Good idea, I think I could do that if I wanted.
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Aug 7, 2021 6:56 PM

Mar 2008
hacker09 said:
Good idea, I think I could do that if I wanted.

I assume you're thinking of basically having it copy and paste the username then redirect to settings paste it in the field and submit it?

I would think it would work different if it were ever implimented on the site but hard to say what the best designed interface would be because there are up sides and down sides to a redirect to the settings page. On one hand it helps users know where it is on the other hand they usually wouldnt need to know where it is when there would be an unblock function on profiles as well.
Aug 7, 2021 7:11 PM

Dec 2019
It would be 100% automatic, it would work just as you said,click on a button and that's it...

But I've to check if this really would be possible that way, or if I would have to do something like you said "more manual" requiring the user to do more things than 1 single click, but I think that it's possible to do just 1 single click to auto do everything.

(To be more specific I'm thinking on a single fetch request if you know what it is)

I would think it would work different if it were ever implimented on the site
I'm pretty sure MAL would make it be a single fetch request if MAL implemented it.

Redirecting? that's kind of stupid and bad and users dislike that (if mal did it), anyone just want's everything to be automatic nowadays. But if fetch didn't/doesn't work that would basically be the only way to do it.

That makes sense, if the block button is "anywhere", the block button should become "unblock" if the user was blocked, it can likely be done using a single fetch request again.

Aug 26, 2021 11:10 AM

Mar 2008
Devs why you sleeping huh?
Aug 26, 2021 11:56 PM

Aug 2021
traed said:

They're probably subscribed to the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Then again, it's entirely possible that all development on MAL has paused for the future (although I'm not entirely sure how likely this is).
Nolo contendere.
Aug 27, 2021 6:52 AM

May 2010
Rubroculi said:
traed said:

They're probably subscribed to the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Then again, it's entirely possible that all development on MAL has paused for the future (although I'm not entirely sure how likely this is).
yea, pretty sure they are fine with how the site is, they fixed a bug a few days ago, but doubt they on working on improvements or new features.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1950543
Aug 28, 2021 6:59 PM

Jun 2011
traed said:

I doubt they even read a single post on this board. I have never seen a user recommendation get implemented before.
Aug 29, 2021 12:31 PM

Oct 2015
Given that probably only a handful of the suggestions of this board throughout its entire 16 years of existence ever got implemented, it may as well be renamed "requests for the local MAL coder".
Aug 30, 2021 4:02 PM

Mar 2008
Auron_ said:
Given that probably only a handful of the suggestions of this board throughout its entire 16 years of existence ever got implemented, it may as well be renamed "requests for the local MAL coder".

I think ive said this elsewhere but i wonder if the developers even speak English.
Dec 7, 2022 3:20 AM

Mar 2008
BUMP BUMP BUMP
Feb 5, 2023 12:25 PM

Dec 2019
traed said:
BUMP BUMP BUMP
I think this is what you wanted, hope it helps

User Blocker - MAL (greasyfork.org)
This is another simple and related script that you might be interested in as well
Quotes Filter - MAL (greasyfork.org)

Feb 5, 2023 1:43 PM

Mar 2008
@hacker09
I actually dont personally block users at least not often. Just hoping devs implement it for people that need it.

Suggestion for your quote filter. You really should leave an indication a quote was there or you may misinterpret what someone is saying.
Jul 25, 2023 1:54 AM

Mar 2008
I guess i will just keep bumping this now and then. 
Jul 26, 2023 6:29 AM

Feb 2016
traed said:
Being able to block users more easily will help reduce conflict with some users and reduce modding requirements in the community.
That can't be done if one has already blocked 30 users, the maximum number allowed.
その目だれの目?
Jul 26, 2023 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
Lucifrost said:
traed said:
Being able to block users more easily will help reduce conflict with some users and reduce modding requirements in the community.
That can't be done if one has already blocked 30 users, the maximum number allowed.
Yeah i dont know why they set the number so low. I know why it has a limit though.
Jul 26, 2023 2:02 PM

Oct 2013
This is one of functionalities I'm surprised that MAL is lacking. Heck, I was almost shocked when I didn't see it anywhere years ago. It had been pretty much a standard option on most of (if not all) popular forums I'd browsed before I registered on MAL.

Probably, at the end of a day, nothing will be implemented. This thread is almost 2 years old and no staff member responsible for forum coding cared to reply.
Jul 27, 2023 12:03 AM

Mar 2008
Adnash said:
This is one of functionalities I'm surprised that MAL is lacking. Heck, I was almost shocked when I didn't see it anywhere years ago. It had been pretty much a standard option on most of (if not all) popular forums I'd browsed before I registered on MAL.

Probably, at the end of a day, nothing will be implemented. This thread is almost 2 years old and no staff member responsible for forum coding cared to reply.
I just realized it's also lacking for ignoring users. I had forgotten that when i made the thread so I updated that to be included as well. I almost thought ignoring users may work elsewhere but this is best to avoid redundant buttons and accidental clicks is to keep it confined to profile pages.  

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
11 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.