Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 1, 2021 11:15 AM
Nov 2020
I watched Bakuman and absolutely loved it then when searching for similar anime I got recommended Chihayafuru. It has 3 seasons and rating of each next season is better than the prequel just like Bakuman.
But I saw the SoL tag, I hardly watch any anime related to SoL.
IMO labelling SoL is a convenient way to add more and more fillers without actually calling it filler and enraging the fans. In SoL generally nothing happens apart from main cast eat sleep talk and festival visit.
So....Is majority of this Anime focused on Sports or SoL part...
Anyone who watched all seasons pls give your opinion..
Aug 1, 2021 11:39 AM
Jan 2016
Watch it! I love Sports anime and this is awesome
Aug 1, 2021 11:51 AM
Jan 2018
This is the most melodramatic piece of shit anime I've ever seen. I mean its not that bad tbh but seriously its a 3/10 and the main character is unbearable so I'd stay away.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Aug 1, 2021 11:53 AM
Oct 2020
Very much a sports anime. I’d say it’s not a slice of life at all. Very enjoyable watch.
Aug 1, 2021 1:22 PM
Apr 2021
Sharmat_00 said:
This is the most melodramatic piece of shit anime I've ever seen. I mean its not that bad tbh but seriously its a 3/10 and the main character is unbearable so I'd stay away.

Well, as they say: opinions are like assholes. Every thread has one.

OP, in a conservative sense, Chihayafuru is a sports anime in the same way that Hibike! Euphonium is a sports anime: the main plot driver is a competitive club/activity that brings unlikely personalities together. In this case it's karuta. Nearly everything that happens in the show does so for the sake of (or directly because of) karuta, especially character development of the main and supporting cast. Yes, even the "melodrama" the user I quoted bemoans--which I would argue is part and parcel of any good sports anime--is present, and is all thanks to karuta. Considering this perspective alone, Chihayafuru is already not your typical Slice-of-Life.

But in a more liberal sense, it is a quintessential sports anime simply because competive karuta is a real sport. Well, if you're like 99% of Westerners it may not be any sport you've ever heard of. Even in Japan, it was so obscure before Chihayafuru blew up that most never heard of it there either. And it's certainly nothing like football, volleyball, hell even ping pong.

Do not let that fool you though: we are shown the mechanics of this game in exquisite detail, and it is just as physically and mentally demanding, perhaps more so. High level players in this show, and the real world, train their bodies and minds to the point of exhaustion. The MC literally passes out after her tournaments. There's a real sense of camaraderie within the teams. Winning feels sublime. Losing is soul crushing, but is always an opportunity to learn how to become not only a better player, but a better person. I learned something too: karuta is beautiful, man. Like, it makes me wish I could understand Japanese classical literature and play this game myself.

So I'd say 10/10 give it a watch. Do keep in mind that Chihayafuru primarily targets josei audiences, which means minimal fan-service and plenty of mature themes and motifs--like loving something over someone, maintaining childhood friendships into adulthood, living with jealousy and inferiority, dealing with true consequences of failure, persevering when everyone tells you to give up, etc. But there's plenty of light-hearted comedy, and even some fourth-wall breaking during the obligatory recap episode each season (which actually feature additional content and commentary so don't skip them). So all in all, it may seem like a heavy show, but it's really not. It's actually very, very fun.

If your diet mostly consists of battle shounens, this show is probably going to be a slow burn for you, so don't binge it. But if you're a seinen guy, and aren't turned off by masterpieces like Steins;Gate that take quite a few episodes to build up its world and characters before really taking off, you'll do just fine to jump in with both feet. Either way, you can't go wrong with Chihayafuru. The art is excellent, the animation is excellent, the music is excellent, the writing is excellent, the karuta is excellent.
HyperthesisAug 1, 2021 1:42 PM
Aug 1, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2019
Sharmat_00 said:

U say it's not that bad yet gave the anime a score of 3. Choose ur battles.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 1, 2021 1:27 PM

Jul 2019
It's a sports series that has heavy characterization--the best part of the series imo. It's completely worth it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 1, 2021 3:24 PM

Oct 2020
If your concern is filler almost every episode is relevant to the overarching plot. Sometimes it can seem mundane, but there is always something happening whether it’s character growth or community building.

forum set by bunnyama & taiyaki
Aug 1, 2021 3:53 PM

Mar 2018
@Sandro8604
Both Chihayafuru and Bakuman are some of my favorite anime, so I highly recommend it. It's way more of a sports anime than a slice of life. The only thing is that season 1 has some episodes of flashbacks about the main characters' past and some others about the MC trying to make a team, those episodes might be a bit slow compared to the rest. I also don't remember it having filler outside of a recap per season.
Aug 1, 2021 4:28 PM
May 2021
it's a sports drama with some sol/comedy and a bit of romance in my opinion
Aug 1, 2021 5:03 PM
Jan 2018
Hyperthesis said:
Sharmat_00 said:

Well, as they say: opinions are like assholes. Every thread has one.

OP, in a conservative sense, Chihayafuru is a sports anime in the same way that Hibike! Euphonium is a sports anime: the main plot driver is a competitive club/activity that brings unlikely personalities together. In this case it's karuta. Nearly everything that happens in the show does so for the sake of (or directly because of) karuta, especially character development of the main and supporting cast. Yes, even the "melodrama" the user I quoted bemoans--which I would argue is part and parcel of any good sports anime--is present, and is all thanks to karuta. Considering this perspective alone, Chihayafuru is already not your typical Slice-of-Life.

But in a more liberal sense, it is a quintessential sports anime simply because competive karuta is a real sport. Well, if you're like 99% of Westerners it may not be any sport you've ever heard of. Even in Japan, it was so obscure before Chihayafuru blew up that most never heard of it there either. And it's certainly nothing like football, volleyball, hell even ping pong.

Do not let that fool you though: we are shown the mechanics of this game in exquisite detail, and it is just as physically and mentally demanding, perhaps more so. High level players in this show, and the real world, train their bodies and minds to the point of exhaustion. The MC literally passes out after her tournaments. There's a real sense of camaraderie within the teams. Winning feels sublime. Losing is soul crushing, but is always an opportunity to learn how to become not only a better player, but a better person. I learned something too: karuta is beautiful, man. Like, it makes me wish I could understand Japanese classical literature and play this game myself.

So I'd say 10/10 give it a watch. Do keep in mind that Chihayafuru primarily targets josei audiences, which means minimal fan-service and plenty of mature themes and motifs--like loving something over someone, maintaining childhood friendships into adulthood, living with jealousy and inferiority, dealing with true consequences of failure, persevering when everyone tells you to give up, etc. But there's plenty of light-hearted comedy, and even some fourth-wall breaking during the obligatory recap episode each season (which actually feature additional content and commentary so don't skip them). So all in all, it may seem like a heavy show, but it's really not. It's actually very, very fun.

If your diet mostly consists of battle shounens, this show is probably going to be a slow burn for you, so don't binge it. But if you're a seinen guy, and aren't turned off by masterpieces like Steins;Gate that take quite a few episodes to build up its world and characters before really taking off, you'll do just fine to jump in with both feet. Either way, you can't go wrong with Chihayafuru. The art is excellent, the animation is excellent, the music is excellent, the writing is excellent, the karuta is excellent.

How about how chihara has one personality trait and thats how she likes to play karuta? How about how chihara wants to create a karuta club so badly that she harrasses multiple people who have no interest in the sport until after days or sometimes weeks they finally concede out of plot convenience? How about how she emotionally manipulates taichi who she knows has a crush on her just so she can have another karuta club member? She leads him on and has no desire to date him. Then when he finally leaves in season 3 she cries about how she didnt consider his feelings. Umm, you did consider his feelings you moron. You chose to manipulate the guy into doing what you wanted knowing he only joined because it was an excuse to get closer to you. Chihaya is the most detestable character I've ever seen in anime for the wrong reasons. Im supposed to hate griffith from berserk. But when a character like chihaya is written so unbelievably poorly that shes either the most unlikable bitch on the planet or a narcissist who cares only for her own whims is beyond laughable when clearly the author doesnt mean for her to be like that at all its more sad and pathetic than anything else.

Also, the show is Boring with a capital B. How tf am I supposed to care about a boring, slow and melodramatic card game where the strategy is to memorize cards positions and hit them as fast as possible? It never changes, it tries to do the shonen thing where chihaya obtains new knowledge about the game and becomes more powerful by doing so. But its always something eye rolling like hitting the very corner of a card to get to it faster.

Now tell me I'm wrong, but I bet I'm just an asshole huh?

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Aug 1, 2021 5:05 PM
Jan 2018
LordSozin said:
Sharmat_00 said:

What I mean is that it isnt Nobunagun or Kanamemo. It isnt unbearable cringe or pedophelic trash. Thats probably the highest praise I can give Chihayafuru.

In other words, its not THAT bad.

Aug 1, 2021 5:37 PM
Oct 2020
Its more of a sports anime. About a card game. That’s really boring.
Aug 1, 2021 7:45 PM

Jul 2019
Sharmat_00 said:
LordSozin said:

What I mean is that it isnt Nobunagun or Kanamemo. It isnt unbearable cringe or pedophelic trash. Thats probably the highest praise I can give Chihayafuru.

In other words, its not THAT bad.

Okay. U make no sense whatsoever.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 1, 2021 9:06 PM
Apr 2021
Sharmat_00 said:
How about how chihara has one personality trait and thats how she likes to play karuta? How about how chihara wants to create a karuta club so badly that she harrasses multiple people who have no interest in the sport until after days or sometimes weeks they finally concede out of plot convenience? How about how she
Chihaya is the most detestable character I've ever seen in anime for the wrong reasons. Im supposed to hate griffith from berserk. But when a character like chihaya is written so unbelievably poorly that shes either the most unlikable bitch on the planet or a narcissist who cares only for her own whims is beyond laughable when clearly the author doesnt mean for her to be like that at all its more sad and pathetic than anything else.

Also, the show is Boring with a capital B. How tf am I supposed to care about a boring, slow and melodramatic card game where the strategy is to memorize cards positions and hit them as fast as possible? It never changes, it tries to do the shonen thing where chihaya obtains new knowledge about the game and becomes more powerful by doing so. But its always something eye rolling like hitting the very corner of a card to get to it faster.

Now tell me I'm wrong, but I bet I'm just an asshole huh?

Chihaya's only personality trait is that she likes to play karuta? Nothing about her strong sense of justice? Her dream to help her sister and others near and dear achieve their dreams? Her compassion even for her enemies? Yes, she has blind ambition and an almost autistic need for self improvement. She's basically the Son Goku of karuta. Lot's of people absolutely hate Goku and that's totally fair. But he's the glue that hold the rest of the cast together helps them shine. Chihaya is the same.

She's not the most nuanced and interesting character ever written. She's also not a manipulator. You think she knew about
? Chihaya is romantically retarded. She doesn't understand what it means to love a person. Did you not see her enter a fugue state after
? The reason she drags Taichi and Arata back into the sport is because she truly believes
. As for the others, hell yes she was pushy. Can you name a single sports anime where the MC didn't resort to strongarm tactics to recruit club members? It's not like they were unwitting victims. Booby Girl already adores One Hundred Poets, One Hundred Poems; Pork Pun literally used to play karuta and only picked up tennis because he was fake as fuck and wanted to fit in with a "normal sport;" and Desk Boy...well, he was actually recruited by chad-god Taichi.

As for the show being boring, I won't refute that simply because I know shows like Chihayafuru are not everyone's cup of tea. But your distillation of the game and how its presented is misleading. Chihaya doesn't discover some mystical new knowledge that changes the outcome of her battles. That happens only handful of times. She mostly gets her ass handed to her because keeps falling back on her greatest skill, her hearing and speed. Which doesn't work against everyone. She actually takes the time to develop and refine new techniques others teach her, which causes her to lose, A LOT, in the meantime. Sometimes she learns the wrong thing, like assuming victory can be hers if she only goes for the corners of the cards, just to find out that's not what why her opponent beat her. At the end of Season 3, she's nowhere near good enough to
because she's still a fucking high-school girl. Despite the comparisons I made to Goku earlier, she's not written to be super human shounen protagonist. She's a talented but flawed amateur who learns the hard way (about a number of things) and tries her best to get better. Same for the rest of the cast. I'm sorry you find all that boring, mate. I for one love it.
Aug 1, 2021 10:00 PM

May 2020
Sandro8604 said:
I watched Bakuman and absolutely loved it then when searching for similar anime I got recommended Chihayafuru. It has 3 seasons and rating of each next season is better than the prequel just like Bakuman.
But I saw the SoL tag, I hardly watch any anime related to SoL.
IMO labelling SoL is a convenient way to add more and more fillers without actually calling it filler and enraging the fans. In SoL generally nothing happens apart from main cast eat sleep talk and festival visit.
So....Is majority of this Anime focused on Sports or SoL part...
Anyone who watched all seasons pls give your opinion..

Season 1 is mostly SOL since it involves flashbacks from all three main characters, season 2 is mostly sports and some of the matches are really amazing, and season 3 is a perfect match mixture of both.
I would highly recommend that you watch it.

"I'd rather my heart stopped than lose what's most important to me.
Even when I'm old and my spine is bent...my soul's got to be straight." - Gintoki

Aug 2, 2021 12:14 AM
Jan 2018
Wtf? Youre currently watching 20 anime? Theres no way you remember whats actively happening in all of them. Finish or drop some before you pick up something new.

Dec 11, 2021 8:02 PM
Dec 2017
a bit of both some sol and some sports anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

215 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.