Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I can see why people make that "you hate kazuya becuase you're just like him" card

Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 27, 2021 8:48 PM
Dec 2019
You know, as much as i like Kazuya, i don't find the "Kazuya reminds you of yourself if you hate him" card because it's not a good rebuttal. However, i feel like the reason people say that it's because of the kneejerk reactions the community had to kazuya when the anime came out and they were throwing the simp card everywhere while simultaneously worshipping chizuru, sumi, and ruka like they were goddesses.

It helps that people that hates Kazuya has a tendency to idolize chad mcs without considering how out of place they would be in the story rental girlfriend's telling.

That and the idea that Kazuya doesn't change in the manga but won't hold the other characters to the same standards when either they hadn't changed or became worse people. Special mention to chizuru actively not putting efforts into the relationship. But she's hot so it's perfectly ok and Kazuya's not allowed to have interstruggle because he's a simp despite me simping for sumi/s

Keep in mind i love all the characters in the story, it's just that i wish Kazuya wasn't held to such a ridiculous standard and people not doing the same to the other characters.

Jul 27, 2021 11:06 PM

Aug 2020
Ngl I don't find kazuya that bad. I actually think he's fit for the story
Jul 27, 2021 11:08 PM
Mar 2021
I don’t hate Kazuya but he’s not my favorite. It’s bc as it almost always is there’s just so many more interesting side characters but in the end the lead role is given to that one boring character. This is the case for Tokyo Revengers although I like Takemitchy more than Kazuya in this case
Jul 27, 2021 11:12 PM
Sep 2020
Tyraq said:
Ngl I don't find kazuya that bad. I actually think he's fit for the story
same...,.....,.,,,...........
Jul 27, 2021 11:25 PM

May 2021
Fine I admit it, I hate kazuya because I’m worse than him…
Jul 27, 2021 11:40 PM
Feb 2021
I hate him , i hate the guy so much I don't even care if people say it's because I'm just like him... the thing with harem anime is that it's only enjoyable until there's some good wholesome moments between a main girl and the thick headed flustered mc but what we see here is the guy beating his meat to the thoughts of the girl, my guy has a girl crazy in love for him he craves for a girlfriend so much he'll take anyone but when he's got two hot beauties near him suddenly he only wants the girl he loves he's already kissed ruka a few times he's groped and he can still say it to her face that he doesn't like her, the audacity this guy has to book a date with another girl to vent about his own love problems and end up spending the whole day with her .....BUT i don't blame him it's the author at fault even a Story like this could've ended a long time ago even if it wasn't good, but somehow it's Still fkin going almost 200 chapters later ...how is that even possible how much can you stretch out a Story ..
.. how can the people not recognise the girl for two years ...she only puts on glasses, Jesus.... picking up this manga is my biggest regret to ths date...how can a page with some pictures annoy me so much i have to lash out at some forum on a site .... I'll never know
EDIT; HE BOOKED A DATE WITH SUMI TO ASK HER ABOUT WHAT TO DO TO HELP CHIZURU WHILE SHE WAS STRUGGLING BUT DIDN'T TELL SUMI ...SHE JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A DATE AND WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO IT .
I_TSUKKIJul 27, 2021 11:44 PM
I'm a monogatari enthusiast to the core...and i like some wholesome stuff too
Jul 28, 2021 2:32 AM
Aug 2020
People hate Kazuha? D: didn't know that
Jul 28, 2021 6:46 AM
Jul 2020
IljaWasTaken said:
People hate Kazuha? D: didn't know that

Yeah kind of a lot. The main complaint you hear about the show is how he has girls all over him but still simps and never gets any real progress with them.

That being said. As someone who makes the “people like kazuya” argument. It’s pretty obvious when you listen to some people’s complaints that they’re just trying to portray themselves like they have been in the situation and chose the right girl. People who go “reeeeeee why does he jerk off when he has three girls” and stuff like that.

Of course there are valid complaints about the show/manga. I don’t disagree with a few of them. But there are definitely people who are as cringe (if not more) as Kazuya.
Jul 28, 2021 6:54 AM

Feb 2020
I don't like any of the characters
Jul 28, 2021 7:44 AM
May 2020
literally_boba said:
I don’t hate Kazuya but he’s not my favorite. It’s bc as it almost always is there’s just so many more interesting side characters but in the end the lead role is given to that one boring character. This is the case for Tokyo Revengers although I like Takemitchy more than Kazuya in this case

My thoughts exactly
Jul 28, 2021 8:36 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Sekirodiealotoft said:
You know, as much as i like Kazuya, i don't find the "Kazuya reminds you of yourself if you hate him" card because it's not a good rebuttal. However, i feel like the reason people say that it's because of the kneejerk reactions the community had to kazuya when the anime came out and they were throwing the simp card everywhere while simultaneously worshipping chizuru, sumi, and ruka like they were goddesses.

It helps that people that hates Kazuya has a tendency to idolize chad mcs without considering how out of place they would be in the story rental girlfriend's telling.

That and the idea that Kazuya doesn't change in the manga but won't hold the other characters to the same standards when either they hadn't changed or became worse people. Special mention to chizuru actively not putting efforts into the relationship. But she's hot so it's perfectly ok and Kazuya's not allowed to have interstruggle because he's a simp despite me simping for sumi/s

Keep in mind i love all the characters in the story, it's just that i wish Kazuya wasn't held to such a ridiculous standard and people not doing the same to the other characters.

and @tobythesandwich, @HatTrickPatrick and @mwinner

I wrote about this in my review if you want the detailed answer but in short - I've no problem with Kazuya being a simp, loser or anything else. That to me makes for an interesting premise, no the issue is they do nothing with it. He acts like any other harem MC, he doesn't actually ever have sex despite being much older then your average MC, he attends classes, he rescues Chizuya from the ocean, he's clumsy around girls and never accepts the advances of say Ruka, he never develops.

My dislike of Kazuya comes from the fact they make out and advertised the show on the idea that he'd be something new and different but really he's just more bland then most MCs, and that's saying something.... None of this is to say I dislike him because I am supposedly projecting on him or anything as shallow as that😅, that's a pretty weak defence of a character if that's all you got no offence👍.
momentieJul 28, 2021 10:46 AM
Jul 28, 2021 8:49 AM
Jul 2020
momentie said:
Sekirodiealotoft said:

and @tobythesandwich

I wrote about this in my review if you want the detailed answer but in short - I've no problem with Kazuya being a simp, loser or anything else. That to me makes for an interesting premise, no the issue is they do nothing with it. He acts like any other harem MC, he doesn't actually ever have sex despite being much older then your average MC, he attends classes, he rescues Chizuya from the ocean, he's clumsy around girls and never accepts the advances of say Ruka, he never develops.

My dislike of Kazuya comes from the fact they make out and advertised the show on the idea that he'd be something new and different but really he's just more bland then most MCs, and that's saying something.... None of this is to say I dislike him because I am supposedly projecting on him or anything as shallow as that😅, that's a pretty weak defence of a character if that's all you got no offence👍.

🙄 I don’t really care to read your review. I’m sure it’s as poor as all the other MAL reviews.

They never advertised Kazuya as some kind of giga chad. It was always a generic harem protag that just happens to be kind of a loser. My biggest complaint is there is zero actual progression. It’s not a “choose your own adventure” style like some harem shows. He just keeps on simping. Which is a detriment to the story.

I can see why some people hate him because they’re like him. It definitely makes sense in some cases. But it’s not near the amount people make it out to be. A lot of people hate him because he’s just not a great character.
Jul 28, 2021 8:52 AM

May 2021
People: I hate Kazuya

Also the same people: OMG MIZUHARA ATYOURSERVICEMAHKUEEN
Jul 28, 2021 8:53 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
tobythesandwich said:
momentie said:
and @tobythesandwich

🙄 I don’t really care to read your review. I’m sure it’s as poor as all the other MAL reviews.

They never advertised Kazuya as some kind of giga chad. It was always a generic harem protag that just happens to be kind of a loser. My biggest complaint is there is zero actual progression. It’s not a “choose your own adventure” style like some harem shows. He just keeps on simping. Which is a detriment to the story.

I can see why some people hate him because they’re like him. It definitely makes sense in some cases. But it’s not near the amount people make it out to be. A lot of people hate him because he’s just not a great character.
to

Your free not to, Im just refraining from posting my thougths in here, as 3000 odd words would probably make the thread look messy😅😅, but obviously I'm more composed there then I am here was the point😂😂. With that said, regardless of the general quality of Mal reviews, it suggests a fair degree of close mindness if someone isn't even willing to properly achknolage one sides full thougths on a topic with out even looking at them. You'll have a lot more fun with anime if you try to be a bit more open with it and to understanding it😎👍.

And ya I think we agree for the most part, I never mentioned anything about it advertising as him being a Chad, but rather as him being a collage student in a more realistic setting, which it definetly did premise itself on but didn't act on.

Aside from that I think we're in agreement👍.
momentieJul 28, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 28, 2021 9:52 AM
Mar 2021
I_TSUKKI said:
I hate him , i hate the guy so much I don't even care if people say it's because I'm just like him... the thing with harem anime is that it's only enjoyable until there's some good wholesome moments between a main girl and the thick headed flustered mc but what we see here is the guy beating his meat to the thoughts of the girl, my guy has a girl crazy in love for him he craves for a girlfriend so much he'll take anyone but when he's got two hot beauties near him suddenly he only wants the girl he loves he's already kissed ruka a few times he's groped and he can still say it to her face that he doesn't like her, the audacity this guy has to book a date with another girl to vent about his own love problems and end up spending the whole day with her .....BUT i don't blame him it's the author at fault even a Story like this could've ended a long time ago even if it wasn't good, but somehow it's Still fkin going almost 200 chapters later ...how is that even possible how much can you stretch out a Story ..
.. how can the people not recognise the girl for two years ...she only puts on glasses, Jesus.... picking up this manga is my biggest regret to ths date...how can a page with some pictures annoy me so much i have to lash out at some forum on a site .... I'll never know
EDIT; HE BOOKED A DATE WITH SUMI TO ASK HER ABOUT WHAT TO DO TO HELP CHIZURU WHILE SHE WAS STRUGGLING BUT DIDN'T TELL SUMI ...SHE JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A DATE AND WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO IT .

Nah bro that last part got me Kazuya is a shithead
Jul 28, 2021 10:33 AM

Feb 2021
People are such fickle, stupid creatures. They want good character development but get pissy and start using smaller and smaller words when they see a character that hasn't undergone that development already. If the process of watching someone grow up is unbearable, perhaps you need a little bit of it yourself.
Jul 28, 2021 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
people are hypocrites when it comes to Rent a GF.
Jul 28, 2021 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
momentie said:
Sekirodiealotoft said:

Forgive me, I have no idea what you're trying to say, but you probably misinterpreted my comment. People like to hate Kazuya because they feel like he's a simp and they could make better decisions than him if faced with the same situation, but they basically worship the girls in the show like they're some religious deities.

I honestly didn't mind Kazuya, most of my dislike for him came from the actual story itself, because the pacing is extremely slow and there's been minimal progression over almost 200 chapters now.
Jul 28, 2021 11:16 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
mwinner said:
momentie said:

Forgive me, I have no idea what you're trying to say, but you probably misinterpreted my comment. People like to hate Kazuya because they feel like he's a simp and they could make better decisions than him if faced with the same situation, but they basically worship the girls in the show like they're some religious deities.

I honestly didn't mind Kazuya, most of my dislike for him came from the actual story itself, because the pacing is extremely slow and there's been minimal progression over almost 200 chapters now.

No ya I think we agree on most of that, my post was saying that I don't dislike Kazuya and worship the girls, I both dislike Kazuya because he's exceedingly poorly written and I also don't like the girls for much the same reason. Point being no hypocrisy hear buddy, I can't stand any of it😂.
Jul 28, 2021 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
momentie said:
mwinner said:

No ya I think we agree on most of that, my post was saying that I don't dislike Kazuya and worship the girls, I both dislike Kazuya because he's exceedingly poorly written and I also don't like the girls for much the same reason. Point being no hypocrisy hear buddy, I can't stand any of it😂.

ok, then we agree, because when I said, "hypocrites" I meant the people who worship girls, hate Kazuya. Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks for clearing it up.
Jul 28, 2021 12:01 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
mwinner said:
momentie said:

ok, then we agree, because when I said, "hypocrites" I meant the people who worship girls, hate Kazuya. Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks for clearing it up.

No worries, glad we agree😊😎👍
Jul 28, 2021 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
momentie said:
mwinner said:

No worries, glad we agree😊😎👍

likewise, have a nice day!
Jul 28, 2021 1:13 PM
Dec 2019
momentie said:
mwinner said:

I agree wholeheartedly!
Jul 28, 2021 1:17 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Sekirodiealotoft said:
momentie said:

I agree wholeheartedly!

Glad to hear it, as I say I'm more detailed then just 'i can't stand any of it' in my review and I don't have a problem with people who do like the series(I think there's a large degree of the fun that comes with Mami memes and hype trains alongside genre fatigue) but glad to find people of a similar mind to me😎👍
Jul 28, 2021 1:31 PM
Dec 2019
momentie said:
Sekirodiealotoft said:
I agree wholeheartedly!

Glad to hear it, as I say I'm more detailed then just 'i can't stand any of it' in my review and I don't have a problem with people who do like the series(I think there's a large degree of the fun that comes with Mami memes and hype trains alongside genre fatigue) but glad to find people of a similar mind to me😎👍

Yup yup! This post was mainly focused on the eay people goes out of their way to say how much they hate him for simping, but at the same has no issue simping for the girls. There's ALOT to criticise about the story and characters, but hating it beacuse "muh simp" gets old after a while. But still i agree with you
Jul 28, 2021 1:36 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Sekirodiealotoft said:
momentie said:

Yup yup! This post was mainly focused on the eay people goes out of their way to say how much they hate him for simping, but at the same has no issue simping for the girls. There's ALOT to criticise about the story and characters, but hating it beacuse "muh simp" gets old after a while. But still i agree with you

Oh agreed completely. Hating something for its premise(in this case 'the protag is a simp') is just counterproductive, it's about the most service level complaint anyone can have. Anime is more fun when you can think about it and develop your opinions to go past that exceedingly surface level pointless stuff it's way I like harems like school days or shuffle, where when you put aside your feelings and actually think about them, you get so much more then surface level entertainment👍👍.

P.s. can I ask why your profile is completely blank? 😅😅
Jul 28, 2021 4:40 PM
Dec 2019
momentie said:
Sekirodiealotoft said:

Oh agreed completely. Hating something for its premise(in this case 'the protag is a simp') is just counterproductive, it's about the most service level complaint anyone can have. Anime is more fun when you can think about it and develop your opinions to go past that exceedingly surface level pointless stuff it's way I like harems like school days or shuffle, where when you put aside your feelings and actually think about them, you get so much more then surface level entertainment👍👍.

to answer your question, i don't use the site that much since I'm usually lurking
Jul 28, 2021 4:42 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Sekirodiealotoft said:
momentie said:

to answer your question, i don't use the site that much since I'm usually lurking

Oh I see, still a bit strange not to even have your favourites set but I guess each to his own😅😅.
Jul 28, 2021 9:45 PM
Feb 2021
For the so called intellectualls here talking about character development... I'll have you know we're 170 chapters into the manga and the guy still beats his meat to the thoughts of chizuru ... he's literally the exact guy he was in chapter 1 , we haven't had any development other than the fact that now he's got a yandere bitch who dumped him after him , and three other girl who love him , and one thing more there's still a page in literally every chapter where they go out together and people talk about how cute the girl is and why she is with a Goofy ass mfker ...and apparently kazuha is the only one who can hear it cuz ofc he's got the ears of a fkin dog
Jul 28, 2021 10:06 PM
Feb 2021
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU HATE HIM FOR , YOU CAN HATE HIM FOR SIMPIN OR YOU CAN HATE HIM FOR THE BLAND CHARACTER WITH NO DEVELOPMENT THAT HE HIS , AND YOU CANNOT SAY THAT YOU'RE REASON FOR HATING HIM IS BETTER THAN OTHERS , THANK YOU
Jul 28, 2021 10:21 PM
Dec 2019
I_TSUKKI said:
For the so called intellectualls here talking about character development... I'll have you know we're 170 chapters into the manga and the guy still beats his meat to the thoughts of chizuru ... he's literally the exact guy he was in chapter 1 , we haven't had any development other than the fact that now he's got a yandere bitch who dumped him after him , and three other girl who love him , and one thing more there's still a page in literally every chapter where they go out together and people talk about how cute the girl is and why she is with a Goofy ass mfker ...and apparently kazuha is the only one who can hear it cuz ofc he's got the ears of a fkin dog

Did the other girls develop? Who understands Chizuru at this point? she is afraid of being alone and she wants to push away the only person who makes an effort to be there and support her unconditionally... she prefers to run away from her feelings and be a poor victim, at this point I dont care about her whole family "tragedy", she is pretty dumb.

Kazuya is the one who does all the work and the one who has everything to lose out of this situation. He runs the risk of being hated and disowned by his own family, abandoned by his friends and be humilliated and broken. Whats the worst thing that can happen to Chizuru if the thruth gets revealed? absolutely nothing.

She needs to get her shit together, realize how dumb she has been and be the one who confesses to him or outrigh tell him once and for all she is not interested in him so Kazuya can finally move on.
Jul 28, 2021 10:24 PM
Dec 2019
I_TSUKKI said:
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU HATE HIM FOR , YOU CAN HATE HIM FOR SIMPIN OR YOU CAN HATE HIM FOR THE BLAND CHARACTER WITH NO DEVELOPMENT THAT HE HIS , AND YOU CANNOT SAY THAT YOU'RE REASON FOR HATING HIM IS BETTER THAN OTHERS , THANK YOU
CAP LOCKS. I don't know man. All i was doing was explaining why people use that argument and you're sounding exactly like if you're gonna get this mad over a fictional character.
Jul 28, 2021 10:43 PM

Jul 2020
This is just a poor way to defend a character. Even I make dumb decisions at times but I never go so low as Kazuya does. I would never pay anyone to be my girlfriend no matter how much I want one.
Mizuhara had great development at the end of the season but she's no better than Kazuya either. I know she wanted to become an actress but if she worked hard instead of getting an easy way out, I would have respected her even more.
Ruka is a bitch and an asshole. She serves no purpose to the story instead of just getting in the way of Mizuhara and Kazuya. She's nothing more than a hindrance.
I don't understand what's the point of Sumi.
In the end, it is Mami who carries the show. Even though she hated, her character is the most intelligent than the other characters.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 28, 2021 10:51 PM
Aug 2020
I refuse to believe that people like Kazuya exist in the real world.
Please God tell me they don't exist
Jul 28, 2021 10:56 PM
Dec 2019
Scordolo said:
This is just a poor way to defend a character. Even I make dumb decisions at times but I never go so low as Kazuya does. I would never pay anyone to be my girlfriend no matter how much I want one.
Mizuhara had great development at the end of the season but she's no better than Kazuya either. I know she wanted to become an actress but if she worked hard instead of getting an easy way out, I would have respected her even more.
Ruka is a bitch and an asshole. She serves no purpose to the story instead of just getting in the way of Mizuhara and Kazuya. She's nothing more than a hindrance.
In the end, it is Mami who carries the show. Even though she hated, her character is the most intelligent than the other characters.

I wasn't trying to defend Kazuya so much as explain why people often say that. I'm just glad you acknowledge how the other characters aren't any better just because they're not kazuya
Jul 28, 2021 10:57 PM
Dec 2019
0LifeTRUE0 said:

I refuse to believe that people like ruka exist in the real world.
Please god tell me they don't exist
SekirodiealotoftJul 28, 2021 11:06 PM
Jul 28, 2021 10:58 PM

Jan 2021
no the anime is just bad, that's it

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Jul 28, 2021 10:59 PM
Aug 2020
Sekirodiealotoft said:
0LifeTRUE0 said:

I refuse to believe that people like ruka exiss in the real world.
Sekirodiealotoft said:
0LifeTRUE0 said:

I refuse to believe that people like ruka exiss in the real world.

🙏 Same here, same here
Jul 28, 2021 11:00 PM

Jul 2020
Sekirodiealotoft said:
Scordolo said:

I wasn't trying to defend Kazuya so much as explain why people often say that. I'm just glad you acknowledge how the other characters aren't any better just because they're not kazuya

Yeah, I didn't say that you were defending Kazuya. It was meant for those who defend Kazuya like that.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 28, 2021 11:07 PM
Dec 2019
Scordolo said:
Sekirodiealotoft said:

Yeah, I didn't say that you were defending Kazuya. It was meant for those who defend Kazuya like that.
ah i see. I misread it. Lol
Jul 29, 2021 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
Sekirodiealotoft said:
I_TSUKKI said:

Did the other girls develop? Who understands Chizuru at this point? she is afraid of being alone and she wants to push away the only person who makes an effort to be there and support her unconditionally... she prefers to run away from her feelings and be a poor victim, at this point I dont care about her whole family "tragedy", she is pretty dumb.

Kazuya is the one who does all the work and the one who has everything to lose out of this situation. He runs the risk of being hated and disowned by his own family, abandoned by his friends and be humilliated and broken. Whats the worst thing that can happen to Chizuru if the thruth gets revealed? absolutely nothing.

She needs to get her shit together, realize how dumb she has been and be the one who confesses to him or outrigh tell him once and for all she is not interested in him so Kazuya can finally move on.
yess you're they're all the same characters they were in the beginning and they haven't changed shit, the author just keeps padding up stories upon stories , chizuru belongs to the streets she's clearly in love with the but she won't confess,I don't even know what's going on anymore but it better end soon cuz reading this manga straight up torture, and i just want see the end,
Btw in the manga, the fish that kazuha has literally says so many people hate you LOL, even the author knows

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2020

311 by zainaAlizzy »»
Apr 10, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.