Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2021 1:30 AM
Jan 2019
i only ever saw Gundam unicorn is that enough to watch this movie?
Jul 27, 2021 1:41 AM
Jul 2020
While it is possible to watch and enjoy this movie on it's own, unfortunately a lot of context about the situation of the world and Hathaway himself is lost. You would have to have seen the fisrt three gundam anime and Char's counterattack to fully understand what's going on.
Jul 27, 2021 1:42 AM
Mar 2014
It may be difficult to understand what happened as it made a lot of references to Char's Counterattack. To understand Char's Counterattack, you would need to watch all the prequels.

I would suggest you at least watch:
1. Gundam 0079
2. Gundam Zeta (the remake movies are fine too)
3. Gundam Char's Counterattack
4. Gundam Origin

Please DO NOT watch it chronologically as what others said. Follow the released order would give you the best experience in Gundam Universal Century.

You can always watch the other side stories like ZZ, War in the Pocket, F91, Stardust Memories, 08th MS Team, & Thunderbolt some other days.

If you want to take a shortcut (not recommended), at least watch Zeta remake movies & Char's Counterattack movie.

Surprisingly, it made so less of references to Gundam Unicorn.

EDIT: It is important to build the foundation and love for Char Aznable in order to appreciate this movie.
EDIT 2: Take this as a historical journey in your life. Don't rush to watch this movie. If you watch this without understanding the history, this is a 6-7/10 good movie. However, when you have a solid foundation of prequels, it add points for the experience and turns this movie into a solid 8-9/10 enjoyment.

Hope that helps!

NickLim27Jul 27, 2021 1:47 AM
Jul 27, 2021 2:09 AM
Jan 2019
NickLim27 said:
It may be difficult to understand what happened as it made a lot of references to Char's Counterattack. To understand Char's Counterattack, you would need to watch all the prequels.

I would suggest you at least watch:
1. Gundam 0079
2. Gundam Zeta (the remake movies are fine too)
3. Gundam Char's Counterattack
4. Gundam Origin

Please DO NOT watch it chronologically as what others said. Follow the released order would give you the best experience in Gundam Universal Century.

You can always watch the other side stories like ZZ, War in the Pocket, F91, Stardust Memories, 08th MS Team, & Thunderbolt some other days.

If you want to take a shortcut (not recommended), at least watch Zeta remake movies & Char's Counterattack movie.

Surprisingly, it made so less of references to Gundam Unicorn.

EDIT: It is important to build the foundation and love for Char Aznable in order to appreciate this movie.
EDIT 2: Take this as a historical journey in your life. Don't rush to watch this movie. If you watch this without understanding the history, this is a 6-7/10 good movie. However, when you have a solid foundation of prequels, it add points for the experience and turns this movie into a solid 8-9/10 enjoyment.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help,ill see what i can watch (i dont have much free time anymore)
Jul 27, 2021 2:57 AM

Oct 2017
No. This is a direct sequel to Char's Counterattack and that requires at minimum watching

Zeta
ZZ (optional if you don't care about certain plot lines from Zeta being wrapped up)
CCA
Hathaway

Also I disagree with Nick outside of The Origin which you shouldn't watch until you have seen the original series I watched it in pretty much chronological order and was quite happy with that. I don't think really seeing it in release order is better (doing this with a friend right now who is new to Gundam) unless it matters to you to see it how the original fans saw it. Plus ZZ isn't a side story it was a direct sequel to Zeta and does wrap up some of the stuff from that series though some of the major players important to CCA and Hathaway aren't in it. Even if I hated it (by far the cheesiest series that doesn't hold up very well) there are some good things about it plus since you saw Unicorn (not the best intro due to how reference heavy that series is) there are a few major references from ZZ.

This is what I did:

0079 (Films I heard are fine if you want it condensed. I watched the TV series which is the one more favoured by fans. Alternatively there is the Origin manga which retells the entire story the OVA though only covers the prequel additions the manga made which you should watch after the original show)

The Origin OVA

One Year Side Stories (MS Team, War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt all stand alone titles/stories going on during the time period of the original show)

0083 (prequel to Zeta)

Zeta

ZZ

CCA

Unicorn

Hathaway's Flash

(I haven't seen F91 and Victory yet which take place after Hathaway and NT is a direct sequel to Unicorn which I also haven't seen)

I was pretty happy with that and is what I normally would recommend to people if you want a good complete experiance with the UC Gundam timeline. Like the One Year War side stories aren't necessary watches but they are also some of the best stuff in the timeline so it's kinda criminal just to skip them. Same situation with the Origin which builds on quite nicely to the original series as a prequel and if anything is great to watch after you have seen it. The first order though is he bare minimum if you just want to get to Hathaway.
BilboBaggins365Jul 27, 2021 3:11 AM

More topics from this board

» UC is over?

LegionOne - Apr 28, 2023

11 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

EasyGo-er - Jun 13, 2021

78 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:50 AM

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Champloo_Remix »»
Aug 8, 2023 10:03 AM

» What to watch before this?

Spektrum9 - Jun 10, 2021

48 by DivineLion »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:54 PM

» Did I ruin anything

Reshiram_IX - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Reshiram_IX »»
Jan 16, 2023 11:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.