Forum Settings
Forums
Jul 20, 11:04 PM
Everywhere you go people explain about the iyashikei genre, kinda know as "healing anime", which means animes (usually slice of life) that are comfortable, positive, etc

The best examples:
-natsume yuujinchou
-aria series
-mushishi
-yokohama

but there is some iyashikei you really didn't like? I never saw someone talking about this and really want to make a thread about it

Jul 20, 11:21 PM

Does When Marnie Was There count as an iyashikei anime? I didn't really care for that film...
Like a bolt from the blue, click on pic below to read my Reaper Review.

Jul 20, 11:23 PM

I can't really think of one honestly, all the ones I watched I enjoyed

Jul 20, 11:25 PM

(If it counts) Amanchu! is one i don't like much.

For two in love,
the ocean of fragments is small

Jul 20, 11:25 PM
Fario-P said:
Does When Marnie Was There count as an iyashikei anime? I didn't really care for that film...

I like it but I dunno if this movie should count

Jul 20, 11:29 PM

I enjoyed all the iyashikei titles which I've watched/read except Yokohama.

Jul 20, 11:29 PM
SayoBestGirl said:
(If it counts) Amanchu! is one i don't like much.

amanchu counts, and non non biyori too

Jul 20, 11:43 PM

Not sure if Hitori Bocchi and Tsuki ga Kirei count but from what I've seen, they're the only ones that I didn't enjoy.

Jul 20, 11:57 PM

Only Aria that I could think of since I haven't checked Natsume or Mushishi. Pretty much bored and annoyed by that series. Other than that I think NNB also counted as well.

Jul 21, 12:03 AM

I don't hate mushishi but it's my least favorite iyashikey anime

Jul 21, 12:07 AM
Strengthen said:
I don't hate mushishi but it's my least favorite iyashikey anime

I liked all of them except yokohama, becuz I didn't read it yet

Jul 21, 12:08 AM

I like Natsume Yuujinchou, Yuru Camp and Super Cub but I didn't like Mushishi, Aria and Non Non Biyori.

It's hard to explain why in these cases, since it's all about feelings and atmosphere.

Jul 21, 12:09 AM

Iyashikei blended with comedy doesn't work to well together imo.

Tamayura is probably my most disliked pure Iyashikei

Jul 21, 12:14 AM
GreenPlatinum said:
Iyashikei blended with comedy doesn't work to well together imo.

Tamayura is probably my most disliked pure Iyashikei

So you're on the "mushishi side" of things lmao, if you didn't watched I really recommend this one, but I think you already watched, it's kinda popular nowadays

Jul 21, 12:20 AM

Amanchu! and Aria. They both had a weak second season IMO.

Jul 21, 12:22 AM

"Iyashikey anime you DON'T like?"

Aria was mostly boring and irritating than "healing" for me, I have dropped it early.
Not entirely sure why people like it so much.

Jul 21, 12:22 AM
Natsume yuujinchou for sure. I thought for sure i was going to enjoy it, yet somehow, I didn't/couldn't

Jul 21, 12:24 AM
alshu said:
"Iyashikey anime you DON'T like?"

Aria was mostly boring and irritating than "healing" for me, have dropped it early.
Not entirely sure why people like it so much.

It's my favourite one, I liked because of the direction, and the world-building of neo-veneza, everything there is so well potrayed, it's kinda that place could really exist in a far future

Jul 21, 12:36 AM

I absolutely dislike "Hinamatsuri" (according to anime-planet its an Iyashikei anime)

Such a boring anime with bad characters.

Jul 21, 12:36 AM

I don't have any that I didn't like, but my least favorite is definitely Yakunara Mug Cup Mo.

Jul 21, 12:40 AM

revelation_guy said:
I liked because of the direction, and the world-building

Maybe its the direction I hated...
For me the most important thing in an iyashikey title is the atmosphere, which is a combination of many elements.

Maybe my experience with Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou demonstrates the same thing: the first OVA is greate but the second being similar yet from a different directo just didn't feel the same. Something is missing from it.
(The manga is seamlessly great tho)

Jul 21, 12:41 AM

ohh, i like this question. not really something that's brought up a lot

i mean there are a yuge chunk of them that i didn't like all too much, but most notably from the top of my head:

Miira no Kaikata / How to Keep a Mummy
Flying Witch

I do enjoy a good iyashikei, but these I found so mundanely elementary & mind-numbingly boring that...well, they were boring. I think a good iyashikei needs at least a bit of stimulation. At least a little of something to think about, or something into which you can invest.

Generally the iyashikei that do well in this regard give you some the company of some characters to enjoy; usually they're cute, funny, charming or the like (every good CGDCT ever). Some take the extra step and tell you something worth thinking about, or something worth feeling or something worth appreciating:

for example, Yuru Camp is not only excellent because camping is nice & comfy & vibey & everything else, but also because -- especially if you might not be all that familiar with camping, or maybe especially because you have camped -- it gives you a little bit something to learn or appreciate when it comes to the outdoors...and the girls are cute. K-ON can do the same with musics; they're fun to listen to & their whole music thing iirc i think captures decently well actual light music stuffs...and the girls are cute. Girls' Last Tour imo also did an absolutely excellent job at all of these. Having an iyashikei at a post-apocalyptic setting is a brilliant mix that got me as relaxed as much as it got me thoughtful

From what I can remember, neither Flying Witch or How to Keep a Mummy did too good of a job at any of these. It might've had a few basic iyashikei vibes going, but their characters were not at all memorable, and the 'narratives' were barren of any stimuli or substance. a way i've described them is that it's almost as if they were made for kids. But then even kids like stimuli, so i dunno, i guess they're good for people who don't like thinkng or feeling stimuli???? *shrug*

Jul 21, 8:45 AM

I don't hate it but I don't like Yuru Camp as most people do. The comedy is weak imo and while I admit the cast has nice chemistry between them, I still couldn't appreciate it much but that's just me having strange taste here
Also Senko-san is pure cringe for me but that doesn't have any relations with being iyashikei I guess?
Need to recheck Hakumei to Mikochi but probably this one also is bad for me

GreenPlatinum said:
Iyashikei blended with comedy doesn't work to well together imo
From my experience I'm probably in the opposite state at least for anime shows. I quite liked every iyashikei manga I read maybe except "Aruko Hito" which wasn't bad but just there wasn't anything impressive about it imo...

Jul 21, 9:02 AM

The Helpful Fox Senko-san didn't make much of an impression on me but I did finish it so it's not all bad.

Natsume's Book of Friends is on my dropped list but I don't remember when or why I dropped it. Same with Barakamon.

───────────────────────
“The trick to making friends is to
start by liking other people.”
───────────────────────

Jul 21, 9:19 AM

i haven't really watched one i didn't like, but maybe i just need to watch more.

Jul 21, 9:29 AM

I guess Super Cub dropped the ball after a few episodes.
One Piece episode 914 & 915 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation

Jul 21, 9:31 AM

Why did I thought of 'Redo Of Healer' after reading Healing animes.

Am not a lolicon I swear but... Shinobu is exceptional.

Jul 21, 9:44 AM

I suppose I don't like the genre. I have nothing against the concept, but every example that comes to mind is a boring one.
デデデは偉い!デデデはすごい!
Seraph of the End ripped off Shade's Children.

Jul 21, 10:59 AM

I didn't like Aria, it's boring, childish and those mascot cats are ugly and annoying.

Jul 21, 11:16 AM

Hidamari Sketch was disappointing for me.

Jul 21, 2:34 PM

Super Cub. I think my first one I really disliked as well. Disliked it so much, I decided to write a review explaining my thoughts.

Jul 21, 9:01 PM

i don't really have a hated one at least i can think of.

Jul 21, 9:03 PM

Aria because I tried 8t and after half episode I got bored .
Signature Removed. PLease check your Inbox.Checked and not happy why wait for a year to remove my signature now make me one .