Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2021 11:43 AM
Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I enjoyed this episode far more than EP 1. It was hilarious and totally in the crazy spirit of Getter. I especially liked Dr. Shikishima's craziness like how he was in the manga as well as the rape face expressions Hayato and Ryoma had.

That part were Kamui gets dragged into the fight by Takuma and accidently gets punched was great. The fact that Takuma was taunting the D2 pilot like 'Oh you're in deep shit now :3' made it even better as well as Kamui just losing his shit and deciding to join in rather than being the usual 'Bah immature meatheads -_-'.

The flashback to Go was awesome. Arc and D2 I had issues with in ep 1, but Shin Getter looks amazing. I found it much more appealing watching Shin slice the bug instantly, especially with that harsh impact sound followed quick swipe effect from the Getter Tomahawk compared to the lack of notable sound effects from D2's Tomahawk's.

That being said it felt like there was a missing frame when Shin cuts the bug in half. It just has the bug swiping away and all of a sudden it cuts to Shin in the middle of slicing it.
GenesicKaiserJul 11, 2021 12:26 PM
Jul 11, 2021 2:10 PM
Apr 2019
Great directing from Kawagoe as usual, I thought the CGI was a bit fuzzy but I can excuse it because it's Getter Arc.
Jul 11, 2021 3:58 PM
Jul 2021
Another very good episode IMO. Nothing much to say, tho
Jul 11, 2021 5:10 PM

Jul 2017
beside how bad the anime looks the story is aight ig
Jul 11, 2021 8:06 PM

Jan 2016
I really liked this episode, it was nice to see the characters goof around with each other. Kamui's tsundere moments really got me.
Jul 11, 2021 11:35 PM
Dec 2014
Zerity said:

You'll enjoy it even more later. This is the series that Gurren Lagann took heavy inspiration.
Jul 12, 2021 3:57 AM

Mar 2012
Zerity said:
Honestly can't imagine enjoying this without reading the mangas leading up to it. The villains are from an earlier arc, and Jin's backstory is really touching if you've kept up. Besides that, I can't imagine saying it looks "bad", the cgi is OK but everything else fits the classic style almost perfectly. Remember that this story (art included) was Anno's "bible" when writing Evangelion and also the main inspiration for TTGL as well. If you can't find yourself liking the anime I absolutely suggest picking up the manga. All of the arcs combined are under 100 chapters.
Jul 12, 2021 9:50 AM

Jul 2017
SparkleDuck said:
Zerity said:
Honestly can't imagine enjoying this without reading the mangas leading up to it. The villains are from an earlier arc, and Jin's backstory is really touching if you've kept up. Besides that, I can't imagine saying it looks "bad", the cgi is OK but everything else fits the classic style almost perfectly. Remember that this story (art included) was Anno's "bible" when writing Evangelion and also the main inspiration for TTGL as well. If you can't find yourself liking the anime I absolutely suggest picking up the manga. All of the arcs combined are under 100 chapters.

i feel like if i watched the earlier series first i would still dislike this because of how bad the production looks like. I mean if u think it looks okay thats on u, doesnt matter if it inspired NGE or not it looks like shit. Might pick up the manga tho cause why not
Jul 12, 2021 11:31 AM
Dec 2014
Zerity said:
SparkleDuck said:

i feel like if i watched the earlier series first i would still dislike this because of how bad the production looks like. I mean if u think it looks okay thats on u, doesnt matter if it inspired NGE or not it looks like shit. Might pick up the manga tho cause why not

Try Getter Armageddon instead. It's from the 90's and is an OVA. Higher production quality. Also heads up, for the first two manga's of Getter, the art is very crude and dated. But then it was the 70's and the crude, simplistic art was common for the time and was very similar to his mentor, Go Nagai. But the 90's-2000's manga are much high quality. The art is more refined and you can tell the author had developed his own look by then. But for the character designs, a lot of the style is very accurate to the manga.

But you might wanna continue the anime still. The manga for Arc never finished on account of it's Author dying before it could be completed. The anime may have an original ending.

Also, have you watched Gurren Lagann? If so, Getter was major contributer to GL's ideas and characters (You've probably noticed a similar meathead way of doing thing). You'll notice similar ideas further down the line with Arc. And trust me, it gets good :).

Armageddon:
https://shortcut-test2.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/project/attachment/30015/default_Ryoma_Getter_1_Eagle.jpg

70's manga: https://pm1.narvii.com/6991/551262b25db855d6c0e9e70d74e0e26a7f54811fr1-1152-2048v2_hq.jpg

Arc Manga:
https://www.mangasail.co/sites/default/files/manga/7/145243//20160626175206484.jpg

Don't worry, I didn't spoil anything for each.
GenesicKaiserJul 12, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 12, 2021 11:51 AM

Jul 2017
@GenesicKaiser i do plan to now watch one of the getter series prob not all but might read the manga cause shorter and easier
Jul 12, 2021 11:56 AM
Dec 2014
Zerity said:
@GenesicKaiser i do plan to now watch one of the getter series prob not all but might read the manga cause shorter and easier

Go for it. Trust me, it may look simple, but you can tell there is an underlying creep factor to it just from this episode. My regards, Shin Getter is the best of the manga's in my book, but Getter Go is pretty good too (Avoid anime Getter Go, watch Shin Getter vs Neo instead). Also, if you seen Devilman and are wondering why Arc looks like Devilman, the creators mentor, Go Nagai was the author of Devilman. That should give you an idea of what Getter is like.

As for the manga order: Getter Robo - Getter Robo G - Shin Getter/Getter Go (This is a confusing one as Go was released first, but Shin proceeds it chronologically, and they both spoil each other) - Getter Hien (Side story, not relevant to the main plot) - Getter Arc - Devolution (Canonicity of it is problematic as unlike Hien which used Ishikawas notes after his death, Devolution has absolutely no involvement from Ishikawa. {Also it's got a different style which I'm not a fan}
GenesicKaiserJul 12, 2021 12:08 PM
Jul 12, 2021 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
Zerity said:

I rarely comment, but read GETTER ROBO GO. Just fucking do it. Then if you like it you can read the rest.

GO is just so fucking good.
Jul 17, 2021 4:41 PM
Jan 2021
That opening scene with Hayato stabed me right in the heart
Jul 18, 2021 12:40 PM
Jul 2021
I say read the original & G unless 70s manga art is impossible for you to get past; and even if you feel that way now at least try to appreciate the subtleties of what made 70s Dynamic Pro art so appealing. Go is much cooler if you know what came before story-wise & you appreciate Hayato's development as Professor Saotome's replacement much more.

Not the best episode, too much anime-only filler to explain stuff to noobs, but the animation direction work got stronger in this episode with way less rushed-looking drawings.
Jul 18, 2021 3:15 PM

Aug 2018
I LOVE THE Old-School Vibes... FROM THIS ANIME
6 OUT OF 10
Aug 6, 2021 6:14 AM

Dec 2015
Getter being the "true evil" was to be expected.
Nice flashback prologue.

3/5

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 13 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 26, 2021

7 by GenesicKaiser »»
Jun 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 4 Discussion

tacticalfiend - Aug 2, 2021

3 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 3 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Jul 18, 2021

16 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 4:56 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 12 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 19, 2021

3 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 20, 2021 6:28 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 11 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 12, 2021

0 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 12, 2021 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.