Forum Settings
Forums

Anime titles with “Season X Part 2” is stupid

New
Jul 8, 2021 8:52 PM

Jan 2021
Like isn’t that basically the next season or such? Why did it have to have a Part 2 when you can just put them all together on one season and not get on with this part 2 part 2 thing or idk if it’s me, or is it just made to make up a big hype or what.

Take AoT’s titles for example. This Winter we had the “Final Season” of it. But then there’s a freaking Part 2 of it. Isn’t that “Final Season” now a clickbait or what.

This is stupid tbh, idk who started all of this, but man.

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Jul 8, 2021 8:53 PM

Jan 2020
Just a way to separate cours for a series I guess

Jul 8, 2021 8:56 PM

Jul 2019
I imagine it's because of break in between that causes these absurd titles. It really is absurd. But then again, it's whatever.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jul 8, 2021 9:01 PM

Nov 2020
It's not hard to understand. It's called 'Part 2' because the season is divided into 2 parts and it's the second part. But yeah in some anime like Re:Zero it makes sense but in others it doesn't.
bae, bae, bae, bae, bae, bae, bae, bae, bae
Jul 8, 2021 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
Because it's the part 2 of the season. Not a new season.

Duh.

jk, it's dumb yeah. In AOT Final Season's case it kinda makes sense since it's a direct continuation of the last episode, but season 3 iirc had completely different events in each part.
Jul 8, 2021 9:04 PM

Jul 2020
Perhaps it comes down to production. It would be natural for a busy studio such as MAPPA to have constraints today would cause a hiatus between two parts of a season. Final Season and it’s second part might be too similar to call their own seasons, which could make another reason for the strange titling.

I myself thought that the AoT Final Season would be the conclusion to the franchise, but I guess not.
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

Is it normal

to have that many crushes?.

┕━━━━»•» 🍌 «•«━━━━┙
Jul 8, 2021 9:08 PM

Aug 2017
Well, Japan now split seasons in parts. That's why.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 8, 2021 9:11 PM

May 2021
it is not stupid and it could lead to very interesting titles like
shingeki no kyojin final season part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2

Jul 8, 2021 9:19 PM

Feb 2020
Its because of preproduction and planning.

Part 2 are pre planned along with part 1
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 8, 2021 10:13 PM

Jan 2021
Gween_Gween said:
it is not stupid and it could lead to very interesting titles like
shingeki no kyojin final season part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2 part 2
hm yes 1 12 minute episode each part, very interesting indeed

Jul 8, 2021 10:16 PM

Aug 2018
imagine

attack on titan season 4 part 2 trilogy movie 3 ova special episode spin off etc.
Jul 8, 2021 10:18 PM

Jan 2009
lol the marketing team are lying to you obviously they want to call it Attack on Titan Final Season so that people will be hype about it
Jul 8, 2021 10:20 PM

Nov 2020
Its kinda bothersome to write S3 P2 EP 5 but Ig its got to be that way bc of production reasons

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jul 8, 2021 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
Part 2 is used to denote the 2nd cour when the cours are split. Now, the weird thing here in Mal is how it includes parts only if it's not the first season of any specific anime. For example, No Guns Life had split cours. However, it is listed here as a 2nd season. On the other hand, anime like ReZero or SnK have been divided into parts because of their 2nd season and 3rd season.(also, final season) respectively.
Jul 8, 2021 10:24 PM

Jan 2020
AOT "the final season" was a pretty snakey branding imo
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Jul 8, 2021 10:25 PM

May 2020
It's the same thing so it doesn't bother me at all.
Jul 8, 2021 10:29 PM

Nov 2020
your aot example is invalid because it technically is the last season, it’s just split into 2 cours.
Jul 8, 2021 10:29 PM

Jun 2020
Exactly. That's stupid af. Good that newer shows like Mushoku tensei and 86 aren't doing that and straight up calling 2nd season, even though it's a split cour.
Jul 8, 2021 10:33 PM

Mar 2020
separate parts i think are good for the well being of the animators because the deadlines aren't as tight if a 2 cour series isn't separated. but maybe its also for marketing purposes so that the series wont die right after it due to their product life cycle

Jul 8, 2021 10:47 PM

Mar 2017
If S2 Part 1 and S2 Part 2 have at least a full season between them, that arguably makes sense.

A couple of examples I've actually seen on MAL that don't make sense:
- Due to pre-emption, special situations, or other delays, two consecutive episodes of a season aired more than 3 weeks apart. By MAL standards, this merited separate entries for the episodes before and after the gap;
- The next episode of an anime appeared on a DVD accompanying a manga volume that hit the shelves a couple of days prior to the regular air date of the episode. This technically qualified that episode as an OVA separate from the season, despite the fact that from a story progression standpoint it was very much a mid-season episode that fit with those before and after.
In both of the above cases, there is no question that years after the fact, fans consider them as nothing other than all part of a single season, and find it annoyingly counterintuitive that MAL has split them up into parts and OVAs in the manner they did.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jul 8, 2021 10:49 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Could say the same thing about AOT the final season. It wasn't the final season, such disappointment. Watched it, believing it would be finally over but nooope. Part 2 a year later.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jul 8, 2021 10:53 PM

Aug 2020
it's because there is a break in airing date between the same season. like what was originally gonna be one full season got chopped into half to make it easier on the animators and stuff

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 8, 2021 10:54 PM

Dec 2018
MAL splits entries of long running shows if they have a break of over a cour. They append "2nd Season" or "3rd Season" onto it. Example: Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season. Look at the promo pictures. None of them list it as "2nd Season."

For Shingeki no Kyojin, notice how it isn't "2nd Season" or "3rd Season," but instead "Season 2" and "Season 3." These titles are actually official titles of the show. It isn't MAL slapping on a name because it took a break. Looking at the promo pictures again, they actually have the season in the title.

Now, when a show with the actual title "Shingeki no Kyoujin Season 3" has (drumroll) a break of more than a cour, they're not going to slap "2nd Season" onto the end of it like usual. "Shingeki no Kyoujin Season 3 2nd Season" sounds terrible. So they use "Part 2" to indicate that the split cour happened. Notice that "Part 2" isn't in any of the promo pictures.

Shingeki no Kyoujin just happens to also use "Season" as their term for, well, seasons. Some series do this, some do not.
Examples:
Haikyuu!! Second Season (Official title includes "Second Season")
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 (Official title includes "R2")
Tokyo Ghoul √A (Official title includes "√A")
Overlord II (Official title includes "II")

More "2nd Season" examples:
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season (No "2nd Season" in official title)
Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season (No "2nd Season" in official title)
Jul 8, 2021 11:49 PM

Oct 2008
I believe the one who may have started it was "The Last: Naruto the Movie". We all know that, no it wasn't the f***ing last, now was it.
Jul 9, 2021 12:02 AM

Sep 2020
bruh kylinity's unpopular moment......

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jul 9, 2021 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
Well, Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2 is the most stupid.
Jul 9, 2021 12:28 AM

Apr 2017
Fact. I'd rather they put in something cool, like Attack on Titan - Final Season: Beginning, then followed by Attack on Titan - Final Season: End, or even fuck it, AoT - Season 4, AoT- Season 5, AoT- Season Finale.

Jul 9, 2021 12:44 AM

Feb 2019
Yurigahama said:
idk who started all of this

It's to do with the way MAL lists shows.

Basically, if you take a 2-cour show, for example, but instead of it airing through 2 consecutive seasons it takes a break of at least 1 whole season between the first and second half, MAL separates them into Part 1 and Part 2. Technically they're one show, with a break in the middle, but it's more convenient, or at least it's supposed to be, if they're split up.

As for why there are more breaks between halves nowadays, that's to do with profitability. It's been found that an anime is most profitable during the first 3 months of its run - after all, once the next season has started, that's what everyone's talking about. So by turning a 2-cour show into 2 1-cour shows, you can maximise this period rather than having everyone forget about it.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jul 9, 2021 12:49 AM
Aug 2017
I'm not an anime enthusiast to this level but I assume it's for shows that don't get concurrent cours broadcasted. There's a break in broadcast/cour then it may be harder to justify it as the same entry? Just my two cents but there are probably better explanations. I do hate having to log them as two different completed entries on my list though....makes me feel dirty like a cheat lol....same with all those special/OVA entries.
Jul 9, 2021 1:04 AM
Jan 2012
There's far less of a gap when it comes to these. A lot of Part 2s are worked on immediately after Part 1, compare that to new seasons which normally have years in between them where they gain new staff and different circumstances.
Jul 9, 2021 2:21 AM

Jan 2021
Xystus said:
Fact. I'd rather they put in something cool, like Attack on Titan - Final Season: Beginning, then followed by Attack on Titan - Final Season: End, or even fuck it, AoT - Season 4, AoT- Season 5, AoT- Season Finale.

Yeah that’s what I call to AoT S3P2 and so on (text on bold)

Jul 9, 2021 2:23 AM

Jan 2021
Thigh_Tide said:
Yurigahama said:
idk who started all of this

It's to do with the way MAL lists shows.

Basically, if you take a 2-cour show, for example, but instead of it airing through 2 consecutive seasons it takes a break of at least 1 whole season between the first and second half, MAL separates them into Part 1 and Part 2. Technically they're one show, with a break in the middle, but it's more convenient, or at least it's supposed to be, if they're split up.

As for why there are more breaks between halves nowadays, that's to do with profitability. It's been found that an anime is most profitable during the first 3 months of its run - after all, once the next season has started, that's what everyone's talking about. So by turning a 2-cour show into 2 1-cour shows, you can maximise this period rather than having everyone forget about it.
okay I somewhat get it, thanks for the explanation

Jul 9, 2021 2:25 AM

Feb 2020
oh my god who cares
in aot's case it actually makes a lot of sense for the continuation since it links closely together and it's basically just a very direct continuation instead of a new setting with different themes yk

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jul 9, 2021 2:28 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Jul 9, 2021 2:29 AM

Apr 2019
Would prefer it there was an alternate system where all shows were graded as a whole (I know there are edge cases, but lets look at the majority case where we have multiple "seasonal" entries, and now the farce that is split seasonal entries). The whole concept of seasons is essentially just grading arcs of the same show, Im not sure why the airing date is even important. Imagine if this was applied consistently and One Piece (which also has airing seasons incidentially) was segmented in the same way - it would be horrific.
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Jul 9, 2021 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
Read your post a couple of times and you will get your answer dummy.
Jul 9, 2021 2:48 AM

Jul 2020
Nah,it makes sense for an anime to have season x part 2.As most part 1 ends on a cliffhanger and don't have a satisfying conclusion and part 2 starts right where it was left.
And whoever thought "The final season" to be the conclusion to the story are dumb(don't worry I also thought it will be the conclusion).Now that you think about it the Manga didn't end at the time the final season was airing so it would be absurd to think it'll serve as the final conclusion to the series.
is it just made to make up a big hype or what.

You basically answered your own question.
-rojazu- said:
Would prefer it there was an alternate system where all shows were graded as a whole (I know there are edge cases, but lets look at the majority case where we have multiple "seasonal" entries, and now the farce that is split seasonal entries). The whole concept of seasons is essentially just grading arcs of the same show, Im not sure why the airing date is even important. Imagine if this was applied consistently and One Piece (which also has airing seasons incidentially) was segmented in the same way - it would be horrific.

Nah,fam I'm not a fan of this idea.It wouldn't make sense to have My hero academia or any seasonal shounen in my list "on hold" forever.
Olivi125 said:
oh my god who cares
in aot's case it actually makes a lot of sense for the continuation since it links closely together and it's basically just a very direct continuation instead of a new setting with different themes yk

Basically what I wanted to say.
ScordoloJul 9, 2021 2:56 AM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 9, 2021 2:49 AM

Dec 2020
you answered your own question @Kylinity
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 9, 2021 3:00 AM
May 2009
No issue with it, if it means that the quality is going to be consistantly good.
Jul 9, 2021 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Yup. This is something I can never understand
Jul 9, 2021 3:23 AM

Apr 2019
Scordolo said:
Nah,it makes sense for an anime to have season x part 2.As most part 1 ends on a cliffhanger and don't have a satisfying conclusion and part 2 starts right where it was left.
And whoever thought "The final season" to be the conclusion to the story are dumb(don't worry I also thought it will be the conclusion).Now that you think about it the Manga didn't end at the time the final season was airing so it would be absurd to think it'll serve as the final conclusion to the series.
is it just made to make up a big hype or what.

You basically answered your own question.
-rojazu- said:

Nah,fam I'm not a fan of this idea.It wouldn't make sense to have My hero academia or any seasonal shounen in my list "on hold" forever..

Thats why it would be an alternate, i.e. toggle either collapse seasons or not. The top 50 list would read a hell of a lot better without multiple entries.
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Jul 9, 2021 3:35 AM

Jul 2020
@-rojazu- Yeah,having an alternate makes perfect sense now.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 9, 2021 8:16 AM

Nov 2016
I always call it another season "part x" is for me part of the new season name. So if anime has season 1 part1 and part2 for me its season 1 and season 2.

More topics from this board

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 17 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

34 by Horshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 24 minutes ago

7 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 1 hour ago

8 by Horshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 9 hours ago

37 by Horshu »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.