Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2021 10:38 AM

Sep 2017
That was a cool first episode

The setting is really nice, we don't have Moriarty the Patriot anymore but we gained 19th century steampunk Paris, what a bless

Really felt it was directed by the same person who did Owarimonogatari sometimes, I also liked the OST during the fight scene so thank you Yuki Kajiura
DamuzenJul 2, 2021 10:46 AM
Jul 2, 2021 10:38 AM

Apr 2009
>Genres: Historical

Ah yes, the dark times when there were vampires and flying ships.
Jul 2, 2021 10:39 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this sure was a good premiere!

Dynamic between Noe and Vanitas seems fun and the vampire theme and aesthetics look fantastic! Bones not holdin' back on this, great to see!

Setting up for a tragic ending early up, huh? Let's see how it goes.

Not the usual kind of Op you'll see often, might take a little more time for it to grow on me. ED, on the other hand, was really good!

Just to clear one thing: Vanitas is not the Vampire of the Blue Moon but his (human) student, right?

Looking forward to more, that's for certain!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 2, 2021 10:42 AM
Mar 2018
Quick question, what is BL?

Episode 1 was good. I didn't love it, but I am definitely coming back for the second episode. I was expecting some romance between Noe and Vanitas, like in a Romeo and Juliet trope, although from these comments it seems I am off *shrugs*
Jul 2, 2021 10:42 AM

Apr 2017
Shimai_ni said:
SirTristam said:
Good start,
Any manga readers know if this gonna be as good as pandora heart?

In terms of art it's even better. If you read PH, just imagine having the pure beauty that was the art style of the final chapters of Pandora Heart from the very beginning of Vanitas no Carte.
In terms of the story, there are currently 52 chapters released so no one can tell much, but from what is provided to us at this point it will be incredibly emotional and some tragic backstories are hinted some unlocked (which you know was coming if you liked PH) and there is a lot of space for Mochizuki Jun's mind-blowing plot twists by just looking at the cast of characters and trying to determine their motivation and actions.

All in all, the chances of it being as good as Pandora are high but it certainly has the potential to go even further.

I agree with you on every bit! In terms of art style, I always admired how beautiful it is and in terms of story, I believe that it will be as good as PH if not even better! Mochizuki Jun sensei writes incredibly well and I am never disappointed in any of the plot twists and character developments, so for sure whatever comes later will be such a banger!!
Jul 2, 2021 10:43 AM

Apr 2018
The serious and comedy elements in the first episode was fabulous.
Really like the interactions between Noe and Vanitas but damn the twist in the end?
Noe will slay him by his own hands.. for some reason.

Aside from that, the animation is good. Visuals are really beautiful and im in love with the ENDING song. The opening is really good too, but the ED's voice is amazing.

Amazing first episode!

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 2, 2021 10:43 AM

Apr 2009
avengingangel2 said:

Episode 1 was good. I didn't love it, but I am definitely coming back for the second episode. I was expecting some romance between Noe and Vanitas, like in a Romeo and Juliet trope, although from these comments it seems I am off *shrugs*

Boys Love aka shounen-ai aka gays in the eyes of females.
Jul 2, 2021 10:44 AM

Oct 2020
DmonHiro said:
Are we SURE this isn’t BL? Cause it sure feels like it. The ED especially.
Ofc not when the two ladies came, you could say both MCs have their own love interests, I think this is a bit of a spoiler.
Jul 2, 2021 10:45 AM

Apr 2017
Damuzen said:
That was a cool first episode

The setting is really nice, we don't have Moriarty the Patriot anymore but we gained 19th century steampunk Paris, what a bless

Really felt it was directed by the same person who did Owarimonogatari sometimes, I also liked the OST during the scene so thank you Yuki Kajiura

With Moriarty the Patriot anime ending, I was deeply saddened... BUT now I can assure you, as a manga reader, that this anime won't disappoint!!
Jul 2, 2021 10:46 AM

Mar 2021
avengingangel2 said:

Nope. Both of them has a romance interest they are gonna appear at ep 2 i guess

Aug 2016
Interesting episode. It felt a bit cliched until Vanitas said he cures vampires. After that, I liked it a lot. Also, it's studio Bones, so I hopefully can expect great animation on the same level as Bungou Stray Dogs. Can't wait to see how beautifully Bones animates Paris. Also, oof, that ending of the episode though... seems like we are in for a dark path ahead. The OP and ED are bangers! Looking forward for future episodes :D

4/5

Jun 2020
OP and ED nice. Episode was okay ig, didn't really hook me in but there's always the next few episodes.
This anime shit is addictive

Nov 2007
Reven-of-death said:
cause a lot of toxic fujoshis to come and potential viewers to think this series is BL and run away

Damn, what a loss.....homophobic weaboo incels avoiding an anime because they think it's BL.....good fuckin riddance. At least I won't have to deal with their "opinions" in the discussion. It's them who is toxic, not someone else.
Jul 2, 2021 10:47 AM

Oct 2016
Fans: It's not BL! There's legit female love interests!

Bones: Haha look at these two bois having a fun time in the OP
Jul 2, 2021 10:49 AM

Apr 2017
Nobara98 said:
DmonHiro said:
Ofc not when the two ladies came, you could say both MCs have their own love interests, I think this is a bit of a spoiler.

Honestly, with the author's style of writing and drawing, you can feel the tease with both Vanitas and Noe, as well as both MCs and their ladies~
Jul 2, 2021 10:50 AM

Apr 2017
Germs_N_Spices said:
Fans: It's not BL! There's legit female love interests!

Bones: Haha look at these two bois having a fun time in the OP

HAHA their relationship is absolutely hilarious, cute, and badass~!
Jul 2, 2021 10:52 AM

Jul 2017
Not a perfect premiere by any means, but a solid one nonetheless. I like the OP and music choices more in the Pandora Hearts anime, but everything else has been better in the Vanitas adaptation already in the first episode alone. The manga is great so I hope the show improves the flow and the adaptation in general as time progresses. Will say though, the way the comedy flowed with the anime in this episode did feel really off for me. Mochizuki comedy isn't the most loved comedy in the world with toneshifts in all of her manga, but at least in the manga there was somewhat of a charm to it that made it fit. Didn't feel that quite as much in the anime, particularly in the delivery at times. Rest was decent.
Jul 2, 2021 10:53 AM

Apr 2017
Zelie said:
It was so so so good ;-;
The opening is adorable and Itamura’s direction is stellar <3
also Hanae Natsuki was particularly incredible as Vanitas, that theatrical tone he had for him was so on point T-T.
love it, i’m so glad we have such a solid start.

I agreeeee! The opening is soooo cute and I love that about it!
I like how it didn't take the generic and typical op vibes like other anime openings
Jul 2, 2021 10:55 AM

Mar 2017
That was a noice first ep! I liked the art which was vivid and pretty and the elegant soundtrack complimented it well and suited the tone of the anime overall. The action scenes were awesome too since they were visually stunning but graceful, befitting of vampires.

Due to being the thirsty bitch that I is, I really loved the bishounen but it was a nice surprise that they don't act like the typical pretty boy type - Vanitas' quirky character was very endearing and a nice source of humor that I wasn't expecting while Noe was a perfect straight man for the comedic duo.
Jul 2, 2021 10:58 AM

Mar 2021
Black_wind said:
Reven-of-death said:
cause a lot of toxic fujoshis to come and potential viewers to think this series is BL and run away

Damn, what a loss.....homophobic weaboo incels avoiding an anime because they think it's BL.....good fuckin riddance. At least I won't have to deal with their "opinions" in the discussion. It's them who is toxic, not someone else.

Im not a homofobic. And i dont think all fujoshis are toxic just some of them... disturbing. Like those in the Haikyuu and Bnha fandoms. And it's starting to get very annoying when people see the two male main characters on the cover and the OP and immediately think it's BL

Jul 2, 2021 11:00 AM

Apr 2009
meyve said:

Im not a homofobic. And i dont think all fujoshis are toxic just some of them... disturbing. and it's starting to get very annoying when people see the two male main characters on the cover and the OP and immediately think it's BL

Those covers and OP are made for that specific reason.
Jul 2, 2021 11:04 AM
Nov 2020
Reven-of-death said:
can't say that I'm a big fan of the OP and ED even though I understand the reason behind both, as for OP, Itamura and his staff went to Paris and he wanted to deliver that journey to us and I think he did a pretty good job at that as for the ED, it linked to something that Noé said which I'm not sure I should be saying since I didn't watch the episode yet (just waiting for full quality)
the thing is when you have a cast full of great characters why would you put the whole focus on just 2 characters? I mean... I KNOW they're the main characters here but still...

I felt the same way with the OP especially. I hope they'll build more places for other characters and maybe less slice-of-life-y once more are introduced.
Jul 2, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2021
jTiKey said:
meyve said:

Im not a homofobic. And i dont think all fujoshis are toxic just some of them... disturbing. and it's starting to get very annoying when people see the two male main characters on the cover and the OP and immediately think it's BL

Those covers and OP are made for that specific reason.

Yeah i know... And its annoy me but it seems like they want to make sure it is getting popular

Jul 2, 2021 11:09 AM

Sep 2019
I thought this show would be a fujo bait for sure but it's not so far. The animation was good. I liked the music, can't say anything about the story yet.
Jul 2, 2021 11:11 AM

Sep 2020
Great setup to an upcoming ride. The ED was so good and the OSTs are also very peaceful to hear during those animations. Looking forward to it.

Is there gonna be waifu material? (๑•﹏•)

Apr 2009
meyve said:

Yeah i know... And its annoy me but it seems like they want to make sure it is getting popular

So don't blame the fujoshi's but the studio.
May 2021
Good start, the art style looks good, the opening and ending sound amazing, there is already enough world knowledge to understand what's going on. I'm definitely hyped for this anime.
Jul 2, 2021 11:16 AM

Jun 2020
Amazing start. Bones once again hitting all the right notes. Makes me wonder what if Pandora Hearts was animated by Bones as well.... And as usual, Kajiura Yuki stole the show. Absolutely amazing music. Can't wait for the upcoming episodes.
Jul 2, 2021 11:22 AM

Mar 2021
jTiKey said:
meyve said:

So don't blame the fujoshi's but the studio.

I didnt blame them?

Jul 2, 2021 11:23 AM

Aug 2016
bowie_deschanel said:
Reven-of-death said:
can't say that I'm a big fan of the OP and ED even though I understand the reason behind both, as for OP, Itamura and his staff went to Paris and he wanted to deliver that journey to us and I think he did a pretty good job at that as for the ED, it linked to something that Noé said which I'm not sure I should be saying since I didn't watch the episode yet (just waiting for full quality)
the thing is when you have a cast full of great characters why would you put the whole focus on just 2 characters? I mean... I KNOW they're the main characters here but still...

I felt the same way with the OP especially. I hope they'll build more places for other characters and maybe less slice-of-life-y once more are introduced.

trust me, this series is so far from being a slice of life so you don't have to worry about that, in fact, that's what gives an off vibe for the OP which make it seems like a heartwarming journey (which is so far from the what this series is)
Jul 2, 2021 11:24 AM
Feb 2020
I thought the episode was coming out tomorrow?
Jul 2, 2021 11:27 AM

Feb 2020
Wow, pretty nice start to this. Yuki Kajiura at it again with great music; feels like Fate or even PriPri. Vanitas is quite the vibe, I hope to like this guy more later on.

And as I thought, this really feels like Dantalian no Shoka to me... just had to write a recommendation earlier just because of those thoughts. The premise, the setting, the main characters.... wow. All very similar, and I don't think that's bad at all.

I wonder what else the Book of Vanitas can do.
Jul 2, 2021 11:30 AM

Jun 2014
A pretty solid first episode. The visuals look clean and the music is nice; since it's only the first episode I obviously can't say much about the story, but manga readers in this thread seem to vouch that the story is good so hopefully this adaptation will reflect that. Looking forward to seeing more of this one next week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 2, 2021 11:33 AM

Dec 2018
Good and thrilling start!!

I couldn't find who Amelia's seiyuu is but I wonder if she's voiced by Noriko Shitaya? She sounds like Sakura Matou..

Jul 2, 2021 11:33 AM

Jul 2011
I will stay watching mostly to see the vampire concept. Other than that was a normal episode overall.

Obs: And hopefully the discussion many watchdogs(from what I observed), wont make this anime a pain to discuss, if you say something slight negative.
Jul 2, 2021 11:37 AM

Jan 2015
you can really tell this was made by shaft alumni, first ep was good. Shinbo's disciples are moving on to other studios and the shaft signature style is spreading.
Jul 2, 2021 11:43 AM
Dec 2017
Main characters: just looking at each other on the cover art.
MAL users: No doubt, it's BL bait.
People, if it's all you see on the cover, you need to take a brake from the internet for a month or two.
Jul 2, 2021 11:48 AM
Apr 2021
Loved the animation , some scenery was delight to watch ,for 1st ep this is a solid start , I liked both main characters , it's very good , the ost and op, ep are fabulous
Jul 2, 2021 11:49 AM

Nov 2013
DarkBlueMoooon said:
Zelie said:
It was so so so good ;-;
The opening is adorable and Itamura’s direction is stellar <3
also Hanae Natsuki was particularly incredible as Vanitas, that theatrical tone he had for him was so on point T-T.
love it, i’m so glad we have such a solid start.

I agreeeee! The opening is soooo cute and I love that about it!
I like how it didn't take the generic and typical op vibes like other anime openings

Yeah !! it’s really interesting how they decided to depict more the slice of life/comedy aspect of the series rather than the darker/serious one. :) very refreshing to me !
Jul 2, 2021 12:00 PM
Mar 2018
jTiKey said:
avengingangel2 said:

Boys Love aka shounen-ai aka gays in the eyes of females.

Thank you! I am guilty of this it seems
Jul 2, 2021 12:06 PM

Nov 2016
Seraph, Devils Line, Sirius, my experience with vampire shows hasn't been the best in recent years. Frankly, I was prepared for something bad, but this was actually a promising start that didn't merely rely on fanservice. I rock with the chibi comedy too. Reminds me of Heine.

DmonHiro said:

It's definitely bishie/fujo bait. Goes pretty well with vampires :)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 2, 2021 12:14 PM

Feb 2016
I guess the translator from Gabriel Dropout found more work.

Joking aside, this episode was pretty entertaining. Looking forward to the rest of the story to unfold.
Jul 2, 2021 12:15 PM
Nov 2019
Wow this is the 1st time in a long time that i get WoW in a 1st episode the intro is fire the ed is fire so fare this might be the best anime i've seen in a lot of Time. Kinda sad that we only get 1 episode need more
Jul 2, 2021 12:16 PM

Feb 2020
this exceeded my expectations i loved all of it i cant wait for next episodes
AAAAAAAAA cant wait for JEANNE
Jul 2, 2021 12:18 PM

May 2018
Kind of reminds me Gosick + Dantalian no Shoka + vampires.
alshuJul 2, 2021 12:44 PM
Jul 2, 2021 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
very interesting, love the theme and style. steampunk is one of my favourites and vampires are pretty intriguing as well, animation and ost are also great so this is definitely something to look forward to. really enjoyed this first episode, hope it turns out well!
Jul 2, 2021 12:27 PM
Mar 2021
The ending and opening slapped
Jul 2, 2021 12:45 PM

Jan 2018
Skipping this because pandora hearts was so bad it's one of the only manga I ever dropped. Also don't like gay bait.
Jul 2, 2021 12:52 PM
Oct 2018
The OP is kinda odd, but the music is good. The whole OST is nice. And I just love the animation, and the way the art style changes. Nice to see everything animated, I kinda forgot what volume 1 was about
Jul 2, 2021 12:52 PM

Oct 2016
Thorf said:
Skipping this because pandora hearts was so bad it's one of the only manga I ever dropped. Also don't like gay bait.

Cool, though I'm not sure why you took the pains to visit this thread and make the comment. Doesn't sound like you even watched the episode.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.