Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2021 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, this was kind of a thriling start, kind of a strange one for the first episode in some ways but they introduced quite a colorful cast. The vampire themes were pretty evident as a girl went into their instincts and attacked one of the guys.

Vanitas is probably the most badass of the main cast introduced so far imo. Impressive chereography and music/soundtrack used for this episode so far. Honestly, I'm quite impressed by the first episode.

Jul 2017
The way that this show started just craved me more of a respectable Pandora Hearts anime adaptation that could've been done right back in 2009.

And no surprise, it's Jun Mochizuki back in the writing helm, and seriously though, her impeccable writing skills IS everywhere, brought now in Vanitas. Bring in famed Monogatari director Tomoyuki Itamura in this, together with Bones, this will be a big hitter in the dry Summer season.

Pretty good OST to start off the series right, since it's Yuki Kajiura. The vampire Noé is a delight to watch amidst his antics together with his cat Murrto find The Book of Vanitas, but it's the human doctor Vanitas (Hanae Natsuki) who easily steals the spotlight. A fellow vampire seeking blood, and it doesn't turn out well for Noé, and only Vanitas and his assistant Dante can help solve these issues. To add Noé to the ranks of Vanitas for help, this seemingly uncanny relationship will get even more wacky.

If anything, this reminds me of the fusion between Muhyo to Roji and Noblesse in the mystery & vampire genres, only that Vanitas excels in everything that'll keep expectations high from the get-go.

NGL, this is one INSANE STRONG premiere of Chapter 1, loved this episode with the serious and comedy bits that Jun Mochizuki is known for. That said though, a split-cour this is one, and prepare for a rollercoaster of a ride!
KANLen09Jul 2, 2021 10:15 AM

Nov 2007
Both OP and ED are so cool in different styles.
https://twitter.com/vanitas_anime/status/1410984282516983809

The concept is so interesting.
tsubasaloverJul 2, 2021 8:35 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 2, 2021 8:31 AM

Apr 2020
This first episode was comical but the end made me a little sad, the opening and ending were about Noé and Vanitas, that's nice. Next episode Jeanne is coming, aaahhh can't wait.
Jul 2, 2021 9:18 AM

Jul 2020
Interesting concept, would love to see how this develops! OP and ED were incredibly good, story seems succinct yet the ending foreshadowing vanitas' death - although I bet he 'dies' to save the vampires and becomes a vampire himself - and the mystery aspect is nice also.

The start was nice to say the least, we quickly realise that something was wrong with the woman
LeviathanHWDJul 2, 2021 9:38 AM
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Jul 2, 2021 9:27 AM

Jun 2014
Absolutely stellar OP and ED. AAAAAH BOII! It brings back all those Pandora Hearts memories. The foreshadowing in the ED thought. Absolutely adore the details from Mochizuki Jun. Can't wait for the digital releases of both songs.
Jul 2, 2021 9:31 AM

Oct 2016
The little changes in art style during the little VOTBM fairytale, the Charlatan scene, and the malnomens really reminds me of the best parts of Pandora Hearts and Madoka Magica. Very impressed by the first episode and Yuki Kajiura remains an absolute goddess of music.
Jul 2, 2021 9:32 AM

Apr 2010
I watched the first episode! Thank you all!

Now I am sad that we are getting only one episode per week.
I am also k-drama fan & there we got usually two episodes per week.
BUT for Vanitas I can wait :)
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Jul 2, 2021 9:36 AM
Jul 2020
Good start,
Any manga readers know if this gonna be as good as pandora heart?
Jul 2, 2021 9:38 AM

Jun 2019
The plot is pretty straightforward but definitely looks interesting. Also, the animation looks cool.

OP and ED are sick as well. Definitely a solid start in my opinion.
Jul 2, 2021 9:39 AM

Oct 2017
Quite interesting premise, one of the few animes I was looking forward to this season so hopefully this'll be good.
Jul 2, 2021 9:40 AM

Apr 2010
SirTristam said:
Good start,

It is going to be even better.

Apr 2017
SirTristam said:
Good start,

It is definitely a good manga and I would say that I love it as much as I love Pandora Hearts!!

Aug 2016
can't say that I'm a big fan of the OP and ED even though I understand the reason behind both, as for OP, Itamura and his staff went to Paris and he wanted to deliver that journey to us and I think he did a pretty good job at that as for the ED, it linked to something that Noé said which I'm not sure I should be saying since I didn't watch the episode yet (just waiting for full quality)
the thing is when you have a cast full of great characters why would you put the whole focus on just 2 characters? I mean... I KNOW they're the main characters here but still...
Jul 2, 2021 9:42 AM

Jan 2021
Well, well, I thought this vampire stuff wasn't going to convince me, but I really liked it 0.0

The animation is pretty good and I like the humor
I have a lot of faith in this anime, and looking at the others of this season, maybe this will be one of the best
Jul 2, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2010
Clas1ck said:
Well, well, I thought this vampire stuff wasn't going to convince me, but I really liked it 0.0

As concept of vampires - this story is quite unique. Manga is really worth reading.
Jul 2, 2021 9:47 AM

Jan 2021
cassandra9891 said:
Clas1ck said:

As concept of vampires - this story is quite unique. Manga is really worth reading.

If the episodes continue to be this interesting and entertaining, I will definitely check out the manga (b ᵔ▽ᵔ)b
Jul 2, 2021 9:47 AM

Oct 2020
SirTristam said:
Good start,
Just watch and rate yourself, it's the most effective way to determine if this is better or not.
Jul 2, 2021 9:51 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Thread cleaned. Please refrain from discussing subs or where to watch.

Anime Series rules said:
Do not ask when subs/raws will be released, or where to download/watch an episode.
Jul 2, 2021 9:53 AM

Apr 2017
Clas1ck said:

The animation is pretty good and I like the humor
I have a lot of faith in this anime, and looking at the others of this season, maybe this will be one of the best

As a manga reader, it does not disappoint and the plot is so interesting!!
I can't wait to see more~!
Jul 2, 2021 9:55 AM

Jan 2014
Already a dozen times better than noblesse lol. My friend really likes this show, so I'm curious to where we go from here.
Jul 2, 2021 9:57 AM

Apr 2017
The first episode is pretty good!
I love the character interactions and I can't wait to see more of the story!

As a manga reader, I am so hyped to see how they animate some scenes and I can't help but admire the animation style and how well everything is drawn!

Jun Mochizuki sensei's work is one of the finest, I hope the anime adaptation of the manga doesn't disappoint because I really love this manga!
Jul 2, 2021 10:00 AM

Oct 2019
I watched the episode. Really good, already better than the Pandora Hearts adaptation.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Jul 2, 2021 10:02 AM

Apr 2010
DarkBlueMoooon said:
As a manga reader, I am so hyped to see how they animate some scenes

Same!!! Can't wait to see this all! But still... How many chapters are going to be included here in anime? In both season 1 and 2? Any guesses?

Dec 2008
It's a good start. I hope the anime will clear me the story as I got lost in the manga after vol 3.

May 2021
I really like the op, it's cute. Ed is not bad either.

Decent first episode, Vanitas kinda reminds of Glenn from akashic records.
Ig Noe is going to be the narrator then.
Jul 2, 2021 10:11 AM

Apr 2010
ItsMuZe said:
Decent first episode, Vanitas kinda reminds of Glenn from akashic records.

And now I need to check on Glenn :D
Jul 2, 2021 10:11 AM

Apr 2017
cassandra9891 said:
DarkBlueMoooon said:
As a manga reader, I am so hyped to see how they animate some scenes

Same!!! Can't wait to see this all! But still... How many chapters are going to be included here in anime? In both season 1 and 2? Any guesses?

If they will go by 12 episodes for each season and based on episode 1, we can see that one episode took a full chapter. So maybe we will have 12 chapters per season? Because the chapters in The case study of Vanitas are quite long.
Jul 2, 2021 10:14 AM

Apr 2017
SebCyrSC2000 said:
I watched the episode. Really good, already better than the Pandora Hearts adaptation.

The pandora hearts adaptation was just sad :(
I hope that is not the case for Vanitas and I hope more people can get to enjoy the anime and maybe check out the manga and other Jun Mochizuki sensei's works because they are incredible!
Jul 2, 2021 10:16 AM

Mar 2020
SirTristam said:
Good start,
Its close anyways. In my opinion the closest to pandora hearts.
Jul 2, 2021 10:16 AM

Apr 2017
PiedPiper_ said:
Absolutely stellar OP and ED. AAAAAH BOII! It brings back all those Pandora Hearts memories. The foreshadowing in the ED thought. Absolutely adore the details from Mochizuki Jun. Can't wait for the digital releases of both songs.

I absolutely agree with you!!!!
I was screaming the entire episode and I am so hyped for what to come!
Jul 2, 2021 10:17 AM

Mar 2020
Pre_Yum said:
The plot is pretty straightforward but definitely looks interesting. Also, the animation looks cool.

Well as a manga reader, I can assure u its not straightforward, you will see
Jul 2, 2021 10:20 AM

Mar 2020
Loved it man Jun finally got a adaptation worthy of her writing!!
I still have a question from when i read the manga, how did noel and vanitas survive the fall(I guess it has something to do with him being a vampire and all the supernatural thing..), thats the only thing that has been bugging me for a long time. IN anycase anime of the year for me for sure! Considering the masterful writing of the manga.
234MannanJul 2, 2021 10:25 AM
Jul 2, 2021 10:21 AM

Jul 2013
Finally living through the day when I see an anime episode discussion thread for Vanitas no Carte! I truly believed this day would come but not this fast.

Not even a minute passed while watching and I was already mesmerized by the soundtrack and jumped to grab my headphones. Yuki Kajiura just doesn't know how to disappoint! I just can't wait for the many memorable and emotional moments finally coming to our screens with her music in the background!

This episode was faithful to the manga and animated beautifully. The mood was set, the scenery was set and the plot for the first arc was set. I did wonder for a moment was everything clear enough for people who are anime onlys. Hopefully it was.
If I remember well the next chapters will provide some explanations and set more mystery so please continue watching even if this was a bit confusing!

Hanae Natsuki is killing it as Vanitas. At first I didn't think his voice will go along Vanitas's personality as much as it should, but I was totally wrong. This is perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better voice actor! On the other hand, Noe's voice will take some time getting used to because he sounded completely different in my head. Everything else was great!

Opening and ending songs are fine because the atmosphere at the beginning is still light. I do miss seeing other characters in the opening but maybe they will add them later?

At any case, awesome first episode and I am truly happy we are getting this adaptation!
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jul 2, 2021 10:22 AM

Aug 2020
I'm expecting great things from this show, the first episode off, I'm satisfied.
Jul 2, 2021 10:23 AM

Nov 2013
It was so so so good ;-;
The opening is adorable and Itamura’s direction is stellar <3
also Hanae Natsuki was particularly incredible as Vanitas, that theatrical tone he had for him was so on point T-T.
love it, i’m so glad we have such a solid start.
Jul 2, 2021 10:23 AM

Jan 2008
Are we SURE this isn’t BL? Cause it sure feels like it. The ED especially.
Jul 2, 2021 10:25 AM

Apr 2020
DmonHiro said:

A half of the ending actually is a sad scene, the start is like the covers of the volumes and putting Vanitas and Noé together with different colors represent that they are like opposite poles. Please don't get it wrong this is not BL.
nyaa15Jul 2, 2021 10:29 AM
Jul 2, 2021 10:26 AM
Jul 2020
The Op and Ed is so cool!!! The animation is so amazing too, loved everything about this episode!
Jul 2, 2021 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
I've always wanted to read the manga but never got around to it, so I may as well start with the anime huh.
Really enjoyed the first episode, it has everything I like...not to mention, hunting vampires=tired, saving vampires=woke!
Looking forward to the rest.
Jul 2, 2021 10:29 AM

Jun 2019
234Mannan said:
Pre_Yum said:

Well as a manga reader, I can assure u its not straightforward, you will see

Well, then I'm looking forward to it. I like my mind being rolled in the process. LOL
Jul 2, 2021 10:29 AM

Mar 2021
Reven-of-death said:
can't say that I'm a big fan of the OP and ED even though I understand the reason behind both, as for OP, Itamura and his staff went to Paris and he wanted to deliver that journey to us and I think he did a pretty good job at that as for the ED, it linked to something that Noé said which I'm not sure I should be saying since I didn't watch the episode yet (just waiting for full quality)
the thing is when you have a cast full of great characters why would you put the whole focus on just 2 characters? I mean... I KNOW they're the main characters here but still...

Ikr? I mean i love noé and vanitas and they are main characters but where are the Jeanne and Domi and other important characters... I can understand them doing this to avoid spoilers for viewers but its bother me because it looks like this will cause a lot of toxic fujoshis to come and potential viewers to think this series is BL and run away

And yeah IT IS NOT BL GUYS. IT IS NOT SHOUNEN AI OR YAOI OR ANYTHING

Jul 2, 2021 10:31 AM

Mar 2020
DmonHiro said:
Its not by any means...(Seriously this is getting annoying these days..)
Jul 2, 2021 10:31 AM

Jan 2008
nyaaaaaaaaaa15 said:
Please don't get it wrong this is not BL.

Ah, so they're using the baiting technique. Higurashi's new OP used it at well.
Jul 2, 2021 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
It's hereeee!!!! Finalllyyyyy!!!!!

Kajiura Yuki is composing for Mochizuki Jun again, and I'm so happy! They make a good pair!!

The OP was amazing and the ED was brilliant!

I had been worried when they cast Hanae Natsuki as Vanitas because he isn't good at switching between emotions. Well, he does a good enough job here, but his voice still felt a bit off in some places. Well, as long as he gives a Katsuragi Maki and Kaneki (TG se 1) level of performance in the serious scenes, I wouldn't mind it.

The art is so faithful to the manga, which is a good thing in this case.

It's fun seeing Noe animated. He's so cute.

They only adapted chapter 1, and a bit of the flashback from chapter 2. I'm glad they didn't go with two chapters for an episode. It would have been too much to process. Just in this short episode, we already have so much world building information.

I like this picture from the ed.
Jul 2, 2021 10:34 AM

Mar 2021
DmonHiro said:

Nooo its definitely noooooot D':

Jul 2, 2021 10:36 AM

Jul 2013
SirTristam said:
Good start,

In terms of art it's even better. If you read PH, just imagine having the pure beauty that was the art style of the final chapters of Pandora Heart from the very beginning of Vanitas no Carte.
In terms of the story, there are currently 52 chapters released so no one can tell much, but from what is provided to us at this point it will be incredibly emotional and some tragic backstories are hinted some unlocked (which you know was coming if you liked PH) and there is a lot of space for Mochizuki Jun's mind-blowing plot twists by just looking at the cast of characters and trying to determine their motivation and actions.

All in all, the chances of it being as good as Pandora are high but it certainly has the potential to go even further.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jul 2, 2021 10:37 AM
Feb 2021
honestly this anime looks very promising , i like the story , animation and the comedy is pretty decent too , i can see this easily being one of the best seasonals of this summer , also the ED is such a banger

Apr 2017
MidnightBlues27 said:
The Op and Ed is so cool!!! The animation is so amazing too, loved everything about this episode!

Same!!!!! I am so hyped and can't wait for next week's episode

Dec 2019
I instantly recognized Yuki Kajiura's music when Vanitas was fighting the female vampire. Promising first episode.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.