Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 26, 2021 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
well i guess we won't be getting another episode for a week, why are so many anime series getting recaps lately? i just dont see the point in making these, it hasn't always been like this. personally, i can't really say i'm a fan of this trend...
Jun 26, 2021 10:33 PM
Jan 2021
spaesu said:
well i guess we won't be getting another episode for a week, why are so many anime series getting recaps lately? i just dont see the point in making these, it hasn't always been like this. personally, i can't really say i'm a fan of this trend...

Cause of the new arc and transition to summer season.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Jun 26, 2021 10:40 PM

Apr 2021
What is even more weird is that we are getting recaps after an anime has finished airing, not in the middle...
Jun 26, 2021 10:57 PM

Jul 2019
because 20 episodes is a weird number for a season. TV Networks prefer 11-13 (22-26). Fumetsu being 20 is annoying for them so they'll probably do 2 recaps to not mess with their airing schedule.
Jun 26, 2021 11:08 PM
Feb 2021
There really isn't much of a reason for that, but ok, just one more recap like the many other recaps they've been doing.
Jun 26, 2021 11:14 PM

Jul 2019
lately? always has been.
Jun 26, 2021 11:15 PM
Jan 2018
Sometimes it's because of the seasonal change. There's also occassions where production is having a rough time so they're forced to make a recap for more time to properly produce the next episode. It's not really a trend, it's something that's happened plenty times on the past
Jun 27, 2021 12:56 AM
Nov 2019
Can you let the people rest a bit u greedy ...

Jun 27, 2021 1:40 AM

Feb 2021
Again the recap after 86...
Jun 27, 2021 2:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The question we ask every time an anime gets a recap episode
Jun 27, 2021 2:16 AM

Oct 2017
I thought this was going to be a cool special, turns out I got disappointed.
Jun 27, 2021 2:30 AM

Oct 2009
bro, this is how anime works. MESSAGE FROM 2009 MAL OG ;)
Jun 27, 2021 4:11 AM

Mar 2021
extremophile said:
What is even more weird is that we are getting recaps after an anime has finished airing, not in the middle...

Nah bro, sk8 the infinity recap was in the middle of episodes 9 & 10 and many others.
disgracerJun 27, 2021 4:15 AM
Jun 27, 2021 4:12 AM

Mar 2021
Bunille said:

where did you watch it?
Jun 27, 2021 4:14 AM

May 2009
xrvbert said:
Bunille said:

where did you watch it?

He didn't, it airs next week.
Jun 27, 2021 4:20 AM

Apr 2021
xrvbert said:
extremophile said:

Nah bro, sk8 the infinity recap was in the middle of episodes 9 & 10 and many others.

I'm talking about the vivy and 86 recaps.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/49235/86_Special_Edition__Senya_ni_Akaku_Hinageshi_no_Saku?q=86&cat=anime
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49241/Vivy_-Fluorite_Eyes_Song-_Recap
Jun 27, 2021 4:27 AM

Jan 2019
Maybe it's for those who watch on TV, since they can't easily rewatch any episode they want to, unless they buy Blu-Ray?
Jun 27, 2021 5:30 AM

Jul 2013
Lol, thanks for making this thread OP. It made me laugh quite a bit.

On the subject at hand, I share your opinion. Without repeating what others said, another possible reason is effortlessly prolonging the airing so anime would gain more popularity but taking time to make the next episode seems like the most logical explanation.

I think I may have watched a recap once or twice when I didn't remember all the details from an anime after continuing it after a break but I agree that it's annoying to get across one while the anime is airing, so if they want to make one they should make one after the airing.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jun 27, 2021 6:35 AM

Jan 2011
extremophile said:
xrvbert said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/49235/86_Special_Edition__Senya_ni_Akaku_Hinageshi_no_Saku?q=86&cat=anime

The 86 one will be useful at least, since its a split cour.
Jun 27, 2021 6:39 AM
Jan 2020
extremophile said:
xrvbert said:

I mean, it kinda makes sense to me since Vivy ended with 13 eps and 86 first cour ended with 12 eps in a season, Fumetsu have 20 eps so they recap the first cour and get straight to cour 2
Jun 27, 2021 7:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
spaesu said:

Actually the recaps things is not new at all and has actually become rarer over the years. Take from an old otaku, back in the day they'd stick recap episodes all the time and at weird times. It was mostly due to production delays, but having a recap after 10, 11 episodes was almost to be expected.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 27, 2021 8:16 AM

Feb 2021
Haphiha said:
extremophile said:

I mean, it kinda makes sense to me since Vivy ended with 13 eps and 86 first cour ended with 12 eps in a season, Fumetsu have 20 eps so they recap the first cour and get straight to cour 2

It will have season 2 after 20 episodes? Really? If it will actually, I will watch the recap.
Jun 27, 2021 8:53 AM
Jul 2019
Wait, does that mean no episode tomorrow ? Oh no, Pretty terrible idea to do this when the last episode ended on a cliffhanger.
Jun 27, 2021 8:56 AM
Jan 2021
These recaps usually occur to allow the animation staff more to fix or finish episodes within this season. Most series only have a few weeks in between them finishing up animating an episode to it's release and airing of that episode, so there's a huge time crunch to finish on time. And when they don't, they use recaps to buy themselves more time. It's not a huge secret that those in top positions within the animation industry in Japan, act as slave drivers towards the workers in this field. They work them like dogs for less than minimum wage and I'd rather wait for a new episode next week, with a recap episode now, rather than have the working staff be pushed for more productivity from their labour. .

"Anime and manga industry workers are clearly at risk of death from overwork, as seen in the case of veteran animator Kazunori Mizuno. Others have been subjected to blatant labor violations, such as withholding overtime pay.

Animators on average log 50-84 hours of work every week, and are mostly paid below the poverty line in Japan.

...in the anime industry the only observable gains are for part-time work. However, independent contracting and full-time positions are what are necessary to keep up with the current pace of production needs." http://shingetsunewsagency.com/2019/01/01/worker-led-solutions-for-anime-and-manga-industry-labor-exploitation/

So for all of those miffed about getting a recap, should take a step back and consider this on the whole. Because we should all be more miffed about how the industry treats those who physically create the content material that gets pumped out for our viewing pleasure that we enjoy so much via slave labour-like conditions. If they were treated better, there'd be a lot more who'd willingly strive to become part of the animation staff and content creators, who'd be no less happy to work in this industry, since they'd be given fair treatment to work at a place where they can passionately delve into their art. And that means, we'd have more staff, which equals more labour productivity, which equals less of a time crunch to finish ones own work when theres more workers to lighten the load, which equals no need to buy extra time for worker productivity by using these 'special' recap episodes.

Just some food for thought
Ergo_Kitty_KatJun 27, 2021 9:47 AM
Jun 27, 2021 9:45 AM
Jan 2020
VaneGran said:
Haphiha said:

It will have season 2 after 20 episodes? Really? If it will actually, I will watch the recap.

It would be great to have season 2, but what I meant is that the recap will cover from the first eps to the episode that will be released tomorrow, and its will replace the 13th episode to prepare for the next 8 episodes (aka new cour and also new arc) so it not relate to the second season (sorry for the bad English and make you misunderstood)
Alberro1Jun 27, 2021 9:52 AM
Jun 27, 2021 9:51 AM

Feb 2021
Haphiha said:
VaneGran said:

It would be great to have season 2, but what I meant is that the recap will cover from the first eps to the episode that will be released tomorrow, and its a break to prepare for the next 8 episodes so it not relate to the second season (sorry for the bad English and make you misunderstood)

I understand, ok, thanks.
Jun 27, 2021 12:20 PM

Dec 2016
Maybe this is just a recap but narrator will be Kenjiro Tsuda himself, so I think it is worth watching.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jun 27, 2021 1:58 PM
Mar 2018
Just be glad the recap isn't going to come out of the twenty episodes the series is listed for
Jun 27, 2021 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
KittyKatNoir said:
These recaps usually occur to allow the animation staff more to fix or finish episodes within this season. Most series only have a few weeks in between them finishing up animating an episode to it's release and airing of that episode, so there's a huge time crunch to finish on time. And when they don't, they use recaps to buy themselves more time. It's not a huge secret that those in top positions within the animation industry in Japan, act as slave drivers towards the workers in this field. They work them like dogs for less than minimum wage and I'd rather wait for a new episode next week, with a recap episode now, rather than have the working staff be pushed for more productivity from their labour. .

"Anime and manga industry workers are clearly at risk of death from overwork, as seen in the case of veteran animator Kazunori Mizuno. Others have been subjected to blatant labor violations, such as withholding overtime pay.

Animators on average log 50-84 hours of work every week, and are mostly paid below the poverty line in Japan.

...in the anime industry the only observable gains are for part-time work. However, independent contracting and full-time positions are what are necessary to keep up with the current pace of production needs." http://shingetsunewsagency.com/2019/01/01/worker-led-solutions-for-anime-and-manga-industry-labor-exploitation/

So for all of those miffed about getting a recap, should take a step back and consider this on the whole. Because we should all be more miffed about how the industry treats those who physically create the content material that gets pumped out for our viewing pleasure that we enjoy so much via slave labour-like conditions. If they were treated better, there'd be a lot more who'd willingly strive to become part of the animation staff and content creators, who'd be no less happy to work in this industry, since they'd be given fair treatment to work at a place where they can passionately delve into their art. And that means, we'd have more staff, which equals more labour productivity, which equals less of a time crunch to finish ones own work when theres more workers to lighten the load, which equals no need to buy extra time for worker productivity by using these 'special' recap episodes.

yes i completely agree with this
Jun 27, 2021 5:02 PM

Jan 2018
extremophile said:

those are the recaps that actually make sense in my opinion, either if you missed something you can catch it at the end or simply leave it to watch it before the second season starts to refresh your memory.
the recaps on the middle of a season are just to fill space. the producers buy a fixed amount of time on tv and if the studio can't reach the dead lines they just put a useless recap, I wish that instead of those useless recaps we could get interviews with the creators and animators.
also in the last two years the amount of shows with useless recaps increased due to covid restrictions, more people had to get used to working from home which might or might not impact productivity but for sure the biggest impact is that now any animator showing any kind of symptom can not go to work as has to get checked while before it didn't matter how sick someone was they still had to get the job done.
abyss_willJun 27, 2021 5:08 PM
Jun 27, 2021 5:53 PM
Apr 2021
in the age on on demand video it doesnt make much sense but some studios keep doing them anyways
Jun 28, 2021 9:45 AM
Jan 2020
KittyKatNoir said:

Well, as I agree with you at some point. I don't think the article from 2019 is accurate nowadays. and the overwork and underpaid stuff depend on which studio as well.
the recap might be to buy time for the animator to fix the episode but it could be "for those who missed it so far to catch up", what it said from the article of the recap
the detail of the recap: https://www6.nhk.or.jp/anime/topics/detail.html?i=10372
Still, I don't really know lot about the recap kind of stuff. Does some anime recap have sub-audio for the voice actor?
Jun 28, 2021 3:54 PM
Jul 2014
Rojaseb said:
because 20 episodes is a weird number for a season. TV Networks prefer 11-13 (22-26). Fumetsu being 20 is annoying for them so they'll probably do 2 recaps to not mess with their airing schedule.

People need to understand that this is the reason in this case. They're going to have a couple weeks without anything to air in that time slot so they have to put some kind of filler in there. Due to this being a 20 episode, 2 cour season, as opposed to 24-26 episodes, which would be standard, there will be at least 4 weeks where they'll have an empty time slot that needs to be dealt with. Usually when there's a recap due to production issues, it ends up being dropped in the middle of an arc, which is not the case here.
Jun 28, 2021 4:06 PM

Apr 2020
Every single time some Anime happens to make a Recap-Episode this happens...

Guys, this isn't new. And back when you Pirates where at least satisfied with what you stole, you just took it on the chin and waited another week, you know^^ Cause you just liked a Show and were happy just having access.

How is it today everyone is feeling entitled to everything, everywhere,on demand and when they need it. ASAP. It's funny to me^^

On a (Half) Serious Note -> All the things above:

Recaps are a good thing for the production and for the people working on that project, aswell. It gives them a break, it's resource management and just an overall smart tool for companys to run things. It's done for ages, deal with it.

It takes a load off the shoulder's of people who actually need to work their butt off, so you can later just steal their product, while complaining about the delay (:P) So , I think it's fair overall and not worth talking about much.

blablablablabla.....
Merve2LoveJun 28, 2021 4:11 PM
Jun 28, 2021 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
Merve2Love said:
Every single time some Anime happens to make a Recap-Episode this happens...

Guys, this isn't new. And back when you Pirates where at least satisfied with what you stole, you just took it on the chin and waited another week, you know^^ Cause you just liked a Show and were happy just having access.

How is it today everyone is feeling entitled to everything, everywhere,on demand and when they need it. ASAP. It's funny to me^^

On a (Half) Serious Note -> All the things above:

Recaps are a good thing for the production and for the people working on that project, aswell. It gives them a break, it's resource management and just an overall smart tool for companys to run things. It's done for ages, deal with it.

It takes a load off the shoulder's of people who actually need to work their butt off, so you can later just steal their product, while complaining about the delay (:P) So , I think it's fair overall and not worth talking about much.

blablablablabla.....
why are you projecting so hard and getting all egoed up about pirates? anyways, the problem is with how production of anime works in the first place. sure these recaps may be good for production temporarily, but we should really be trying fix the main problem in the first place.
Jun 28, 2021 5:05 PM
Jan 2021
Kobac99 said:
wdym can you let them rest a bit lol. the anime is finished they are not producing an episode each week. them taking a week off is just for marketing purposes this isnt for them to rest lmao.
Jun 28, 2021 6:03 PM

Dec 2015
there's alot of great points in here and a lot of stupid ones about recaps.

1 blame the production companies with the cash and the anime studios themselves. the timing and length of the TV seasons in Japan has been set since before the 1980's. it's 3 months. from the first day of the 1st month to the last day of the 3rd month. so if the 'big bosses' can't PLAN it right, like 'Wonder Egg Priority' shoving a last minute recap into the season because the final episode wasn't completed on time, it is the bigwigs' fault. before covid, anime were charted out by the bigwigs, funded, and SOLD TO THE NETWORKS, TWO AND THREE YEARS! in advance. we're getting '86' planned as 2 cours, they put the recap in the wrong week, in the wrong season! put it one week BEFORE cour2 starts. shrug. somebody sold it to the TV guys that way. oh and if they planned it right, NOBODY WOULD BE CHAINED TO THEIR WORKSTATIONS LIKE OARSMEN ON A SLAVE SHIP!

2 shit happens. case in point, 'Marchen Madchen' ... the whole SEASON got yanked by the TV networks and the whole show was canceled because: their quality was crap, their delivery of the masters to the TV networks was always late, there were ... ahh... THREE weeks where the episodes each week were delayed due to 'production issues'... so before the final 2 episodes were broadcast, POOF! the TV executives made the decision to exercise their contractual rights and jerked the show off the air. Kyo Ani fire. nobody saw that one coming. arsonist torches the place and production for everything has to stop. earthquakes. tsunami. hurricanes/typhoons. overseas labor disputes and STRIKES! covid! bird and swine flu! so when shit happens and they gotta shove a recap in, there ya go.

3 the studio itself pulls the project. 'Azur Lane'. i watched the old ones. i watched the new versions. i watched the final episodes. i could. not. tell. a. lick. of difference. none. but i'm not a pro. so what do they do? somebody shot their wad o cash and forked over some SERIOUS contract enforcement penalty payments so the episodes could all be re-aired, in order, to include the improved stuff. no recap there.

4 delay. we all know that one. 'oops we fooked up! show not done! delay 3-9 months! we so sowwy!' big bows all around and somebody possibly gets fired, HARD! no recap there. 'Spider-sekai'... where's episode 24? hmm? 2 consecutive cours, no recap, buuut where's the finale? hmm?

5. old schoolers. somebody that started anime before i did in 1990. raise your hand. anybody? if you're not over 40... quit calling yourself. old. school. yes, you Millenials have two decades-ish of anime under your belts. congrats! you're veterans! not old school. old school is pencil, paper, pens, transparencies, paint by hand for coloring with actual ink, celluloid film, photography (some digital) of individual cells and key animation frames. that's old school. in today's anime, almost NOBODY except the key animators draws on a piece of paper, cell, transparency, or a physical object. everybody else, uses touchpads and pens at computer work-stations. background artists do paint and draw and sketch here and there. but they're pretty much digital only too.

6 so with all these 'labor and time saving devices'... why is the anime industry overworking still happening? why are we getting recaps injected due to 'oh shits' and 'planned from the start'? because the audience wants HIGHER QUALITY! that means more frames per second, more detail per frame, HD requires more detailed rendering bla bla bla bla.

7 recaps are NO LONGER for TV sit at home in front of the cathode-ray tube monitor. ya either got cable with a DVR, satellite with a DVR, and/or you're streaming online pirate or paying for it. do y'all know the Chinese barely sit in front of TV anymore for anime? the numbers are probably skewed but meh. 80% of anime consumption in China is streamed, on their tablets or phones ... and sometimes at home. if a show out of Japan doesn't have five or six streaming outlets, legit ones, in the past say... five years... i'd be damn surprised. if i'm not mistaken all the Japanese TV networks offer streaming services instead of a home-box idea. it's either as a package or by the network. heck, there's TWO huge! anime streaming services in Japan that buy EVERY SHOW EVERY SEASON! i only know one by name... Docomo Anime Store. i looked their Japanese website up. last year in Feb. i even wrote myself a note about it:

"they've claimed the title of 'most titles in Japan' since they opened their doors in 2012. now according to their site, and Microsoft Edge's translation abilities... as of Feb 2019 they've got 4,200 titles available to stream for 400 Yen a month (before tax). as of right now, that's $3.89." all numbers and amounts are per Feb 2019.

so in the USA, at minimum wage, ya gotta work mehhh... maybe 2 hours after taxes to pay for that streaming service's monthly fee.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Jun 29, 2021 1:21 AM
Nov 2019
oznakarsu said:
Kobac99 said:
wdym can you let them rest a bit lol. the anime is finished they are not producing an episode each week. them taking a week off is just for marketing purposes this isnt for them to rest lmao.

so they are doing push ups and squats 24/7 they are obviously resting or making something else.

Jun 29, 2021 12:41 PM

Apr 2020
Kobac99 said:
oznakarsu said:

so they are doing push ups and squats 24/7 they are obviously resting or making something else.

Just a fun time^^

Also, you're kinda wrong about the "they don't produce an episode each week" thing.

But let's not chat^^ you seem to get agitated easily
Jun 30, 2021 4:28 AM
Jan 2021
Merve2Love said:
Kobac99 said:

Just a fun time^^

Also, you're kinda wrong about the "they don't produce an episode each week" thing.

But let's not chat^^ you seem to get agitated easily

How am I wrong about the 1 episode per week thing? That is the case for almost every project. People don't make and record an episode a week that is almost impossible, sure there might be some studios that do do that but most of the world doesnt do that since that causes way too much stress and increases the risk of missing a deadline. Crafting an episode each week is 99.9% of the time never the case that is impossible. They have the episodes ready to be released at least 3 months earlier and if they do change some stuff in the anime later on those are the last touches, the very last edits to the anime and if there is an issue they take time off and change that issue etc. Big companies usually cant afford to miss a deadline since the society we live in right now is wayy to critical about everything hence this whole comments section about not wanting a recap episode. Which I am also fine with but I guess some people just really cant wait.

And also wdym about you seem to get agitated easily I haven't said the slightest thing that portrays agitation in the comment above ^^?
Jun 30, 2021 11:29 AM

Oct 2014
Budget, time restraints, giving the artists/animators a break. No big deal. It will be better for everyone in the end. Helps some remember what happened, helps the staff, gives us a show with consistent quality.
Jun 30, 2021 11:58 PM

Mar 2013
So we can have our hearts shattered once again :')
Jul 2, 2021 9:42 PM

Apr 2008
Honestly for what happened recently. I think people's hearts need a break as well. :'D
Jul 2, 2021 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
recaps for a 1-2 cour anime is usually a sign of production schedule problems
Jul 5, 2021 12:37 AM

Oct 2010
Eh, a recap is just more list filler.
Jul 5, 2021 12:39 AM

Jul 2020
Why do you even care?Just ignore it -_-

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 5, 2021 1:49 AM
I don’t reply.

Oct 2017

It's only for a week. It's not like you'll die because of not watching an episode.
I don't reply to comments.
Jul 5, 2021 7:06 AM

Nov 2019
oznakarsu said:
Kobac99 said:

Lol what?
99% of anime isn't finished by the time they start broadscating it. They usually have only like 3-4 episodes ready.
Jul 5, 2021 7:07 AM

Jul 2017
Jesse_2001 said:

It's only for a week. It's not like you'll die because of not watching an episode.
True that.

And also, give the production team some slack to catch up wiith the cutthroat anime industry's business model of overworking its people to death.
Sep 3, 2021 4:54 PM

Jul 2008
I am not mad about this recap, I will be glad to see it in spring 2022 before the second season. Maybe there will be a second recap for 13-20 episodes

More topics from this board

» Where can I watch this?

TotoLegui - Jan 12, 2022

4 by TotoLegui »»
Mar 8, 2022 6:21 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e: Fushi no Tabiji Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2021

5 by r_justo »»
Aug 13, 2021 4:13 PM

» Where to watch

GR7366 - Jul 6, 2021

14 by Rosikota »»
Aug 12, 2021 4:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.