Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2010 6:28 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
tsubasaloverMar 28, 2010 2:25 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 27, 2010 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
I'm going to miss this series.
Adachi Mitsuru is awesome.

1. The way Aoba cried was portrayed better in the anime than in the manga.
2. I loooved Senda's reaction when Azuma told Kou to hug Aoba with all his might, as well as when Aoba slapped Kou. Senda had this "I told you so!" face on him.
3. It's nice to actually see Junpei and Ichiyo marry.

My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Mar 28, 2010 10:52 PM
Apr 2009
msdoodles said:
I'm going to miss this series.
Adachi Mitsuru is awesome.

1. The way Aoba cried was portrayed better in the anime than in the manga.
2. I loooved Senda's reaction when Azuma told Kou to hug Aoba with all his might, as well as when Aoba slapped Kou. Senda had this "I told you so!" face on him.
3. It's nice to actually see Junpei and Ichiyo marry.

Can you tell me which chapter that happens in?
Mar 29, 2010 1:03 AM

Aug 2007
One of the greatest series. I loved every episode but I felt like this last episode just didn't live up to the expectations. 49 was very good and 50 just felt like it ended in the first five minutes and had 15 minutes of epilogue. I don't know, maybe it was the subs but even with all we learned in this episode, I still didn't really understand the whole it's a lie thing. I just don't understand where that came from. It's a lie meaning aoba didn't really hate him all along and he knew it all along but pretended he didn't. I just couldn't understand why he said that when she asked if he liked her better than Akane. How could anyone understand what he meant then.

And the ending of the game just seemed so anticlimactic. They built up the 160 kmph pitch like crazy and it ended up being a small side note and not even the game winning pitch. The final battle between him and mishima seemed so trivial.

Anyways, excellent series, decent episode, but less than perfect ending which I should really be used to by now. But hey, at least it ended! More than you can say for a lot of sports anime.
Mar 29, 2010 1:23 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
PERFECT. I am so satisfied with this.

<3

10/10

tigerz said:
I still didn't really understand the whole it's a lie thing. I just don't understand where that came from. It's a lie meaning aoba didn't really hate him all along and he knew it all along but pretended he didn't. I just couldn't understand why he said that when she asked if he liked her better than Akane. How could anyone understand what he meant then.
I'd also like some clarification on this.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 29, 2010 1:44 AM
Nov 2008
...I can't figure out if its over! I've been assuming this whole time that the end of the series would be the end of Koshin. But then, I reached the end of this episode...and I was completely satisfied! I can't even find the words to describe it. Everything just felt so perfect, and even if every little detail isn't fulfilled, I find myself not caring. What a fantastic way to end such a fantastic show!

(Seriously, is that where the manga ends or not?)

Only thing I disliked about the episode, not showing the speed for every pitch is a lousy excuse. Why the hell wouldn't they?

Now that I think about it a little more, Aoba in center field. That's the one thing this ending was missing. But I think I can let that slide.

10/10 episode, 9/10 series. A few flaws here and there, but following Cross Game has been a great year.
Mar 29, 2010 1:46 AM

Jul 2007
Tacchan and Kacchan embracing each other and holding hands, just what I've always wanted to see... Adachi is a sicko.

Mar 29, 2010 2:56 AM

Aug 2008
Thalandor46 said:
Seriously, is that where the manga ends or not?
It was. Actually, the anime had a couple of extra scenes of side-characters in the ending credits.

A great almost word for word (+ small filler) adaptation of a great manga. 9/10.
Mar 29, 2010 4:20 AM

Oct 2008
tigerz said:
I don't know, maybe it was the subs but even with all we learned in this episode, I still didn't really understand the whole it's a lie thing. I just don't understand where that came from. It's a lie meaning aoba didn't really hate him all along and he knew it all along but pretended he didn't. I just couldn't understand why he said that when she asked if he liked her better than Akane. How could anyone understand what he meant then.

It's quite simple, and very spectacular(and safe) way to confess Kou used here:
"Is a lie OK"?
"Yeah"
"We will go to Koshien"
"I will pitch 160km/h"
"I love Aoba Tsukishima more than anyone else"
So he told this as a lie in the first place to Aoba, but during the game, he took them to Koshien, and he pitched 160 km/h, which means it was a lie from the beginning that he was going to lie about that, so the last thing, that he loves Aoba, wasn't lie too. He was damn clever with that, because he was able to confess after fulfilling all of the expectations everybody have about him(and he about himself), and if he messed up with something than he really would be simply lying about all of this. ;)
Mar 29, 2010 4:41 AM

Jul 2008
tigerz said:
One of the greatest series. I loved every episode but I felt like this last episode just didn't live up to the expectations. 49 was very good and 50 just felt like it ended in the first five minutes and had 15 minutes of epilogue. I don't know, maybe it was the subs but even with all we learned in this episode, I still didn't really understand the whole it's a lie thing. I just don't understand where that came from. It's a lie meaning aoba didn't really hate him all along and he knew it all along but pretended he didn't. I just couldn't understand why he said that when she asked if he liked her better than Akane. How could anyone understand what he meant then.

And the ending of the game just seemed so anticlimactic. They built up the 160 kmph pitch like crazy and it ended up being a small side note and not even the game winning pitch. The final battle between him and mishima seemed so trivial.

Anyways, excellent series, decent episode, but less than perfect ending which I should really be used to by now. But hey, at least it ended! More than you can say for a lot of sports anime.
I'd say that pretty much their whole relationship was based on some sense of lying. Aoba always showing that she hates Kou, both of them urging each other to pursue their friends. The development progressed to the point that both of them were aware of their feelings and the feelings of each other. So for Kou to answer her question by making claims that on their face seem like lies, but such a response is more true to the culture they had in their relationship. . . . That's my take on that thing.

The deciding pitch was in fact that 160 km/hr ball 4 to Mishima. Mishima didn't swing because he wasn't able to hit that ball, that was what was indicated since all signs pointed to him always swinging in that situation. Mishima was defeated entirely after that pitch and the game was decided.

Aoba and Kou are really alike though, this episode was perfect for what ended up being a near perfect series. It has been a great year, I give Cross Game a 10/10.
Mar 29, 2010 4:53 AM
Jan 2008
It was a truly sublime series, which unfrotunately meant I don't think the ending did it justice, but thats only really because I wanted it to keep going. Become possibly my favourite series and it has been an amazing year with the show, don't really know what can replace it really. Also i would agree with your take on things my baseball addict friend :D ^

10/10
I eat your cereal at night and don't even charge
Mar 29, 2010 5:25 AM

Mar 2009
To me it's easy....Like Rudgald said above.
It was Kou's way of confessing, without doing it until he made his other "lies" come true.

And when Aoba says she hates Kou, it means she really loves him.

And what Rudgald left out is that, she acted like she hated him, and he acted like he believed it, because they didn't want to disappoint Wakaba.

But, when they told each other what "Akane" had said if Wakaba was here, they knew it was alright to love each other.

T____T I'm gonna miss this show!!
| What a great year, as said earlier..."How am I gonna replace this?"
|

A wonderful ending to an amazing show.
Now I think I'll watch Touch, I've had it on my HDD for a while, and maybe it'll help fill the hole left in me without this show...Urahara Out!!
Mar 29, 2010 5:30 AM

Jul 2007
WOOOOOO I called that shit.... Aoba x Kou FTW!!!!

That ending was so fulfilling.

Cross Game now has the privilege to be inputted into my high acclaimed Archive Folder.

XD

On a side note this post marks my 69th post on MAL :P
Mar 29, 2010 7:22 AM

Jul 2009
*standing applause*

That was felt good, man..felt really good, much better than when i read the manga..man i'm gonna miss this show

You see it is possible to make an anime with the real manga end and the result it's GREAT

9/10
Mar 29, 2010 7:37 AM

Jul 2009
Thalandor46 said:
Following Cross Game has been a great year.
Mar 29, 2010 7:41 AM

Dec 2006
Schreibtisch said:
Thalandor46 said:
Following Cross Game has been a great year.

In-fricking-deed.

Mar 29, 2010 7:52 AM

Nov 2007
That was great. Not amazing, but great. ;_;

I'll really miss Cross Game and I look forward to watching Touch someday.
Mar 29, 2010 7:53 AM

Jun 2008
Am I the only one who didn't like the ending...?
Mar 29, 2010 8:31 AM

Jul 2009
Loved it. Also the crying scene is felt really better than the manga. But, poor Azuma in the end he didn't end up with noone XD. Well, friendship is number one for him. It suit him i think.

Overall, i love this series. One of the best series i've ever seen.
RegulusMar 29, 2010 8:39 AM
Mar 29, 2010 8:40 AM

Feb 2008
Very satisfying ending. Loved the whole series and I hope something good comes along to replace it in the spring. (P.S. that pitch WAS 160km/hr...at least, that's what I decided ;)
Mar 29, 2010 9:53 AM

Dec 2007
You're right butter, it was. It's very likely that the radar gun only goes up to 99 mph /159 kmh, so it's very very strongly implied that ball 4 to Mishima, which was said to be Kou's fastest pitch of the day was at least 160 kmh/100 mph.

I loved this ending.It showed just how well the two knew eachother, that even through lies they were both able to express their true feelings and have the other understand.

I also loved the picture scene, and Aoba holding Kou back from getting a copy.

Truly an awesome series, and I will miss it.

9/10
Mar 29, 2010 9:56 AM

Mar 2008
Well i know i ask too much but i really want to see they kissed.
But anyway it was magnificent anime.
All i can give is 10/10
Mar 29, 2010 9:57 AM

Dec 2009
This is truly a great shows, though it have some flaws (e.g it became very slowpaced sometimes). One of the best shows I've watched without a doubt, with a very touching story. Expecially the first episode, which I will treasure for all eternity ;_; <3

This episode was sweet, but it lacked something. Like how the 160kmh ball was forgotten in an instance :/
Also... I missed a strong ending song, but maybe that's just me.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Mar 29, 2010 11:09 AM

May 2008
Awesome end!
I liked the feeling of a new beginning. But while the end and many other scenes were a 10/10 for me, the series on the whole wasn't.
It's an 8/10 for the series in total.

Ah well it left me with a smiling face, that's always nice :D And it made me reconsider my general aversion to sports anime.
Mar 29, 2010 11:15 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome series, Awesome episode, AWESOME ENDING!!!

Im fully statified with the ending.

10/10
Mar 29, 2010 11:23 AM
Jan 2010
I believe the 160km pitch was done perfectly to be honest. I mean, Kou knew what he pitched, Mishima and Aoba did as well, what more could you want? You don't want 1 pitch to overlook the fact that they did indeed win the biggest game of the series.

I also believe the relationship was done perfectly, in the end you can leave satisfied, however you still want more.

Excellent episode.
Mar 29, 2010 11:39 AM

Jun 2009
Such a happy and satisfying ending, haven't had one in a while, and Azuma is such a cool bro. The series started good, then turned to crap with fillers (Akane=Wakaba shit), then it became good again, so 8/10 (bumped up from a 7 due to the ending). Now to watch Touch sometime this year.
Mar 29, 2010 1:36 PM
Sep 2007
yaaaa well that was pretty much a let down....i mean ya the show was great and EVERYTHING was awsome (even the opening and ending songs) but really was a kiss to much to ask?
...i dunno maybe im just a sap for romance lol
Mar 29, 2010 3:20 PM

Jul 2009
A kiss would just be unreasonable so stfu.
Mar 29, 2010 4:59 PM
Mar 2008
is the manga ends as well in the same way as the anime?
Mar 29, 2010 5:49 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
leoneri said:
is the manga ends as well in the same way as the anime?
try reading previous posts before asking.

llamaben said:
Thalandor46 said:
Seriously, is that where the manga ends or not?
It was. Actually, the anime had a couple of extra scenes of side-characters in the ending credits.

A great almost word for word (+ small filler) adaptation of a great manga. 9/10.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 29, 2010 6:13 PM
Oct 2009
I think the "lie" thing wasn't about him liking Aoba more than Akane. It was about him liking Aoba more than Wakaba.

Essentially Kou knows that Aoba needs some ambiguity about him liking her more than Wakaba- maybe since Wakaba asked her not to steal him away from her.
Mar 29, 2010 6:57 PM
Dec 2008
This is the first series that i can remember, being completely satisfied from start to finish.
Mar 29, 2010 6:58 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Very satisfying ending since a while....

Gonna miss the show....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 29, 2010 7:44 PM
Dec 2007
I liked the description at the of a four leafed clover, somehow that really sunk it into me that cross game is over. kou, aoba, wakaba... you will be missed.
Mar 29, 2010 10:21 PM

Aug 2007
Rudgald said:
tigerz said:
I don't know, maybe it was the subs but even with all we learned in this episode, I still didn't really understand the whole it's a lie thing. I just don't understand where that came from. It's a lie meaning aoba didn't really hate him all along and he knew it all along but pretended he didn't. I just couldn't understand why he said that when she asked if he liked her better than Akane. How could anyone understand what he meant then.

It's quite simple, and very spectacular(and safe) way to confess Kou used here:
"Is a lie OK"?
"Yeah"
"We will go to Koshien"
"I will pitch 160km/h"
"I love Aoba Tsukishima more than anyone else"
So he told this as a lie in the first place to Aoba, but during the game, he took them to Koshien, and he pitched 160 km/h, which means it was a lie from the beginning that he was going to lie about that, so the last thing, that he loves Aoba, wasn't lie too. He was damn clever with that, because he was able to confess after fulfilling all of the expectations everybody have about him(and he about himself), and if he messed up with something than he really would be simply lying about all of this. ;)

Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that those lines were all just in his head and he never actually said them. They just narrated it over him throwing the game winning pitch so it wasn't clear cut. So he actually said he loved her but they never showed him doing that, that's kind of cheap :-p.
Mar 29, 2010 10:29 PM

Jul 2009
^ It's on the flashback from i recalled, well i did see the confession in manga..so i know he actually said it :P
Mar 30, 2010 3:26 AM

Mar 2009
kie_ said:

Probably.

Was one of the best endings ever I reckon :)
Mar 30, 2010 5:33 AM

Sep 2008
I ended up with a big smile on my face while watching the two of them. The ending is perfect.

This series has been great. I used to know nothing about baseball but watching this show made me interested and I actually went to read all those complicated rules on some websites. In short, this show turned me into an actual baseball fan.

Kou is THE MAN. His confession was so subtly done... and Aoba's response was very satisfying too. They have become one of my favourite pairings :)

9/10.
rlxmeApr 9, 2010 8:59 AM
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Mar 30, 2010 8:41 AM
Dec 2008
Great ending, great show!
I smiled when he said he loves Aoba, the only thing that was lacking was a kiss. I really wanted to see them kiss but the hand holding and Aoba's reaction was nearly as good.

Well, this being said I'm pretty sad it's over now. No more looking forward to Mondays to watch the newest Cross Game every week. It has been a great year enjoying this show.
Mar 30, 2010 8:52 AM

Dec 2008
kie_ said:
I'm curious to know about the kind of expectations you had XD..
Mar 30, 2010 11:37 AM

Nov 2007
Love it. A terrific ending for a terrific show, the only problem is that it`s over, I am definitely going to miss Cross Game. \:
I love how they just hold hands in the end, a kiss for me would be to unrealistic.
The only thing I regret is not getting to see Aoba play at the end.
Mar 30, 2010 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
kie_ said:

Nope. I borderline hated it. This episode was pretty worthless. The character development from Aoba that I needed to make me feel like their whole relationship wasn't a means to an end didn't happen. At the end of the day, because of both Wakaba's memory, and Akane's presence, I don't think either character dealt with themselves enough for me to be satisfied with this ending. The fact that Aoba slaps Kou is a disgusting reminder of this.

I had to drop the score to a 7. When I compare this to Touch, which I gave a 7, borderline 8, there is a lot that I just don't like in comparison. The characters are strong or original enough, the beginning of this show was bad, the ending was bad (but so was Touch's), there was some unnecessary focus in the middle, and I was never sold on the romance. Honestly, when I think about it, it's hard for me to even give it a 7, but so many of the baseball episodes were good, if not perfect, and that has to count for something, since I generally dislike sports shows.

Kou x Azuma forever!
Mar 30, 2010 3:48 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
When I compare this to Touch, which I gave a 7, borderline 8, there is a lot that I just don't like in comparison. The characters are strong or original enough, the beginning of this show was bad, the ending was bad (but so was Touch's), there was some unnecessary focus in the middle, and I was never sold on the romance.
Thanks for ruining Touch for me :/

noteDhero said:
Kou x Azuma forever!
LMAO this will never get old.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 30, 2010 4:25 PM

Aug 2008
Why? The only thing I said about touch was that the ending was bad.
Mar 30, 2010 5:07 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
Why? The only thing I said about touch was that the ending was bad.
How is that not ruining it? The ending of a series is pretty important imo and now that I know that the ending is disappointing/bad/not what you want, it kind of made me less excited to finish the series because I know that as I near the ending, I'll just be disappointed.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 30, 2010 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
Oh...I didn't know that you hadn't finished it. Still though, I didn't give anything away, and you might feel differently. It doesn't change the fact that the leads, Kazuya and Minami are much more developed and charismatic than Kou and Aoba. Beyond that, the supporting cast is much better and fleshed out, though you may feel differently having seen this first. Touch just feels better as an ensemble, character piece, so I totally encourage your finishing the show.
Mar 30, 2010 7:12 PM
Mar 2008
I thought that was beautiful
Too bad it's over T_T

My only regret is that I didn't get a kiss scene :(
Mar 30, 2010 11:36 PM

Sep 2008
@discussion a bit above.

I really liked Touch's ending....

Overall really enjoyed this show. I liked the ending despite it being extremely predictable I thought they handled it pretty well IMO. The show had a great start, got weakish around the middle (dawdled around too much yet I still enjoyed watching those parts) and I thought it had a strong ending. It has hard not to compare this show to Touch though (even though they have quite a few differences still), which I personally loved a ton and Cross Game definitely was not as good as. Nevertheless I still really enjoyed watching this 8/10. I just wish Adaichi shows had a bit more baseball matches in good detail. I love the character development it just feels like it lacks a bit of the actual sport matches. (Something I love about Major and Ookiku).
Mar 31, 2010 6:16 AM

Nov 2007
I just saw the official site... WAIT!! Natsuko Kondo did a role as well in this ep., I didn't hear her!! I wonder if I should watch it again...

News about Special ED and Kondo-san's role as a student
tsubasaloverMar 31, 2010 6:22 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Help: Cross Game filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 28, 2023

6 by zckfox »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlowITA - Apr 12, 2009

66 by -mmdll- »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:43 AM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

fanty - Apr 5, 2009

194 by Ethan348 »»
Jul 3, 2023 3:30 PM

» Cross Game Soundtrack

falph - Apr 5, 2010

8 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:04 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

65 by EsieEyen »»
Nov 6, 2022 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.