Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 25, 2021 4:53 AM

Jun 2021
Personally speaking, I dropped it after 13eps of S1 (first arc) and I read the LN and it...is not my liking ^^; idk about the anime quality after. But I heard Alicization is highly praised for its quality. I truly liked SAO when it's first aired but asuna slowly losing her character turned me off.

Objectically speaking, despite the overhate it gets, it's still one of the top selling LN and most watched anime in the world, so hate comments are meaningless if fans still carve for it. And I think that's what make people hates sao, that's there's series that 'deserve the spotlight' but why SAO was the one gets it?
Current favourite ships:
- Chika x Satowa (Kono Oto Tomare)
- Shin x Lena (86)
- Vanitas x Jeanne (Vanitas no Carte)
Jun 25, 2021 5:36 AM

Oct 2020
Yveltal1612 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:
SAO III WoU was great but I can see how disappointed you were at the last of Alicization, did u came to like Eugeo too?

Good to hear that WoU is good , gives me hope for when I finally get to watch it :)
I liked Eugeo more in the beginning than at the end.

But he is still Eugeo, My tears won't stop, you can understand that
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jun 25, 2021 5:38 AM

Oct 2020
mimisannn333 said:
Personally speaking, I dropped it after 13eps of S1 (first arc) and I read the LN and it...is not my liking ^^; idk about the anime quality after. But I heard Alicization is highly praised for its quality. I truly liked SAO when it's first aired but asuna slowly losing her character turned me off.

Objectically speaking, despite the overhate it gets, it's still one of the top selling LN and most watched anime in the world, so hate comments are meaningless if fans still carve for it. And I think that's what make people hates sao, that's there's series that 'deserve the spotlight' but why SAO was the one gets it?

Seems like they are Jealous of SAO not losing popularity, or the girls or the world they are getting to live or.... well let it be, but you should watch after ep 13, at 14 Aincrad ends, and I'm also reading the LNs, and I rewatched it today till ep 15, i can't wait to start the FD arc it's my It's one of my most beloved, nostalgic and memorable arc
Jun 25, 2021 6:07 AM

May 2021
The main problem of SAO is it's inconsistency. Some moments it's good such as the childhood of Alice, Eugeo, and Kirito growing up together or the concept of growing AIs as though it is a normal human, typical science fiction stuffs. At other times it's illogical and makes no sense such as how Subtilizer is able to transform into that black mist thingy or use some form of superpowers to literally influence other player's actions. Like bruh, why is his personal account so much more powerful than the underworld specific super-account Vecta with admin privileges.

My guess is is that SAO is written by a mediocre author and edited by a top tier editor who he paid top dollar for before the final script is sent for publishing which is why you get such a mess of a show.
Jun 25, 2021 6:20 AM
Jun 2021
I liked season 1 but season 2 was really boring so I ended up dropping it
Jun 25, 2021 6:35 AM

Apr 2021
Hopped on the hype train back in the day and enjoyed season 1 but couldn't finish season 2. Definitely has its moments but I have zero desire to revisit even the world as a whole in any capacity.
Jun 25, 2021 6:52 AM

Jun 2021
Anayan_Kashyap said:
mimisannn333 said:

Seems like they are Jealous of SAO not losing popularity, or the girls or the world they are getting to live or.... well let it be, but you should watch after ep 13, at 14 Aincrad ends, and I'm also reading the LNs, and I rewatched it today till ep 15, i can't wait to start the FD arc it's my It's one of my most beloved, nostalgic and memorable arc
ah I did watch until kirito woke up, forget what eps it is lol.. but yea after that I was curious so I went to LN and kinda disappointed on asuna's progress. I probably will pick alicization in my spare time.
Current favourite ships:
- Chika x Satowa (Kono Oto Tomare)
- Shin x Lena (86)
- Vanitas x Jeanne (Vanitas no Carte)
Jun 25, 2021 6:56 AM

Oct 2020
mimisannn333 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:

ah I did watch until kirito woke up, forget what eps it is lol.. but yea after that I was curious so I went to LN and kinda disappointed on asuna's progress. I probably will pick alicization in my spare time.
go on but Asuna from Mother's Rosario is amazing and in Alicization she is badass again
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM

Oct 2018
SAO became a hentai like in Alicization WOU. Still pretty good series.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jun 25, 2021 9:23 AM

Oct 2015
I mean, you can say you liked it, and that's great for you, as there's stuff to like in SAO, but saying that some people shit on a popular show just because others on the internet said it's bad is just trying to avoid criticism imo.

There's a lot of bad things to say about SAO, and that's like the most dead of all dead horses at this point, but if you genuinely enjoyed it, awesome! Don't try to shield the series from criticism though :v
Jun 25, 2021 9:30 AM
Feb 2021
Most of the haters are just those who hate it cuz it's "COOL".Granted SAO is not some got tier anime,but it's still hella fun to watch tho,like may other mid animes.Nevertheless,SAO remains one of the OG isekais and one of my first animes,so,I'll enjoy it no matter what
Jun 25, 2021 10:35 AM
Jun 2020
Yeah glad that there are more people coming to like sao.
Jun 25, 2021 11:00 AM

Jan 2021
absolutely based, i appreciate someone finally saying it people are just too salty over it
smile B)
Jun 25, 2021 11:23 AM

Apr 2019
how can anybody possibly think that system login id heathcliff is good?
Jun 25, 2021 12:15 PM

Nov 2020
AndrewAlmer said:
I had some mixed feelings before watching because people were saying it was a bad show so when i started i figured itd probably not meet my expectations but it was the opposite. People hating the show cause the internet said it was bad fr lmao
SAO is a masterpeice....

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Jun 25, 2021 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
SAO's a weird anime for me. It got a lot of hype when I watched it, and I thought the first half was great. But I had a few problems, such as:

- Kirito turns out to be a disgustingly bad MC

- the 2nd half was really boring, and the plot went to shit.

I finished the first season and couldn't even get through the first episode of the 2nd.

also, considering you gave every show you've watched either a 9 or 10, you don't seem to be very hard to please.
Jun 25, 2021 1:26 PM

Oct 2020
If you have harem and tentacle fetishes it's an amazing show. Otherwise...
Jun 25, 2021 1:32 PM

Nov 2016
SAO is not really that bad, but it isn't really that good either atleast in this early parts. It does get better in Alicization and I really wanna read the next arcs in the light novel (Or the whole Light novel in fact since I'm told most stuff is done way better there like usual) but I wouldn't say it is the best thing ever by a long shot.

Atleast the Openings are always really good though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2021 4:23 PM
Dec 2020
it wasnt particularly good in my opinion but it also wasnt as atrocious as the internet seems to think. at least not the first season. shit really went downhill
Jun 25, 2021 5:48 PM
Jan 2018
While I will personally say that SAO is definitely not one of my favorite anime, I will admit that the hate it receives is a bit over the top. Kawahara is not someone I would consider the best writer in the anime community, not even close, but his world building is generally pretty solid - just read the Progressive manga or watch Alicization to see proof of that - and A-1 Pictures did an excellent job animating the show. As other users have probably mentioned already, the third season of SAO was absolutely stunning and it is also, coincidentally, in that season that we get to see more of Kawahara's worldbuilding and lore. SAO 100% has its downsides, with its protagonist, Kirito, being one of the most predominant with his dull yet flawless, loner yet harem protagonist type disposition. The way that he often reduces his (usually) strong female characters to two-dimensional harem roles is also incredibly infuriating and many of the scenes that he writes into the show are little more than fanservice (either of the action or ecchi variety); it is for those reasons that SAO cannot rank over a six for me, although Underworld S2 might change my opinion of time. To cut a tangent short, hating SAO became a popular notion because the internet made it so as it does with all trends. SAO was reaching new heights in popularity by the time that it released and, for better or for worse, it functioned as the catalyst that brought in the slew of isekai anime (I am not claiming that SAO was the first or even the best isekai anime at the time, just that it was amongst the most popular); as a result of such, anime fans became critical of the show and often compared it to some of its, in my opinion, superior successors like Log Horizon or Overlord. Ultimately, I thought SAO was a decent show that had a lot of potential but fumbled a little too hard as Kawahara attempted to cater to the fantasies of both his audience and himself.
Jun 25, 2021 5:54 PM

Jun 2020
Ok here's my opinion about the series

SAO I: Many talk about how good the first half is but honestly to me it was just okay. The second half was REALLY boring and almost made me drop the series.

SAO II: I actually started enjoying the series here. It had some dumb stuff but i really liked Sinon and Yuuki. Also even though Kirito acting like a girl was silly, i liked it because it showed a more playful side to his personality (a side that was abandoned, sadly)

SAO Alicization: The best because here the story is actually solid and you care more about the characters. Eugeo best boi and Alice best girl. War of Underworld had some "eeehhhh" stuff but in general i really loved this one. Did i already mention that Alice is best girl?

TL;DR The series can be enjoyable as long as you don't expect much. If you don't wanna get stressed out with bad writing then just go read the doujins that are quite nice
Jun 25, 2021 6:27 PM

Mar 2016
nah it was bad lol. i didnt even find a negative review before i started watching and ended up hating it
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jun 25, 2021 7:07 PM
Feb 2021
momentie said:
AndrewAlmer said:
I had some mixed feelings before watching because people were saying it was a bad show so when i started i figured itd probably not meet my expectations but it was the opposite. People hating the show cause the internet said it was bad fr lmao

Yup yup, the internet bandwagon has a powerful hold over the perceptions of the Twitter mob. Sao is a fairly average, sometimes quite good, other times a bit weak, peice of ligth entertainment. It never sets out to be a masterpiece nor is it but it certainly ain't all that bad, bar in a few choice moments.

If you like S1 you'll find Alication in comparison is genuinely really good, so look foward to that😎👍

Idk bout that chief, i really enjoyed szn 1 and 2, but alicization just wasnt as good
Jun 25, 2021 7:09 PM
Jun 2021
And with good reason it is considered bad, one of the worst works I've ever seen.
But if you want to see a work that massages the protagonist's ego (which has no charisma) and along the way interacts with female characters that has no personality, so little charisma and is only meant to be saved by the protagonist, getting to be offensive If that's what you like then SAO is good for you.
Jun 25, 2021 7:13 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Reflex_Flamel said:
momentie said:

Yup yup, the internet bandwagon has a powerful hold over the perceptions of the Twitter mob. Sao is a fairly average, sometimes quite good, other times a bit weak, peice of ligth entertainment. It never sets out to be a masterpiece nor is it but it certainly ain't all that bad, bar in a few choice moments.

If you like S1 you'll find Alication in comparison is genuinely really good, so look foward to that😎👍

Idk bout that chief, i really enjoyed szn 1 and 2, but alicization just wasnt as good

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the first two, for me alicstion is the only series that is actually good on a technical level. It's a strong narritive with proper structuring, real themes and high production values.

The first two seasons are fine too and I don't begrudge you likeing em or anything but on a critical level alication is the only one of the three that is more then just ligth entertainment but obviously which you enjoy more on a personal level will vary from person to person.
Jun 25, 2021 7:55 PM

Nov 2017
It's pretty good. I guess people don't like S2 or something. A1 does a good job.
Jun 25, 2021 8:01 PM

Mar 2019
never was bad. Maybe not the best anime by any means but it doesn't deserve half the hate it gets in my eyes
Jun 25, 2021 8:32 PM
Nov 2020
DarkInsomnia57 said:
It's pretty good. I guess people don't like S2 or something. A1 does a good job.
No A1 never did a good job they basically deleted kirito's personally that was in the light novel especially alicization they cut his character development and cut alot of kirito and asuna scenes and cut asuna's badass scene and they try to make it like kirito never struggle.
Jun 25, 2021 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
AndrewAlmer said:
I agree i started watching it the same way it's actually good
Jun 25, 2021 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
AndrewAlmer said:
I agree i started watching it the same way it's actually good
Jun 26, 2021 2:40 AM
Mar 2021
just s2 was bad, all other awesome.
Jun 26, 2021 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
Idk, to me it was boring AF, although I did like the VR setting and characters, the constant time jumping in Aincrad was annoying. They should have spend more time in Aincrad to make the world kinda interesting. Also, Kirito literally returning from death when his brain was supposed to short circuit was too much for me to take this seriously.

The ALO arc I thought was garbage, they seemed to set up false stakes on rescuing Asuna. And they went about it in the least staked way possible. Also, I dont like Incest but if you;re into that, then idk.

Oh btw, lets just ignore the poor writing and missed opportunities and lets just say its good. Why? For no fucking reason
Jun 26, 2021 4:52 AM

Feb 2021
For me the biggest problem was the characters and story was awfully written
Jun 26, 2021 6:53 AM

Apr 2021
s1 and gun gale were pretty great for me ngl,.. but then they started milking the franchise. It was a fun show and the hate was probably because of those critique or maybe even joey saying it was so trash and deserves a 1 so yea.. cause some ppl who havent watch it as u said, have had this "bad" expectation already planted and just watch to hate on the show bc others have said so or made them think so
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jun 26, 2021 8:25 AM

Apr 2020
just shut up.Its bad. have you watch the last episode of season 1.This is my opinion and just like it if you like it.Idc
:3
Jun 26, 2021 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
The ones who hate it the most are the Light Novel readers like me who hated how they didn't do justice to Asuna's and Kirito's chacters, by making the former a dependent one dimentional tsundere waifu of a character instead of a badass, charismatic leader and fighter with a subtle yet great development and turning the latter into a bland overpowered Gary Stu that does badass stuff for no reason other than trying to be cool all the time. And don't even get me started on the butt-shots that A-1 Pictutes added. And even though Kawahara-sensei wrote a great web/light novel, the adaptation is only good for action scenes, OPs, EDs and soundtrack. SAO II was really good and Sinon was a great addition to the cast, even though, she's not as good as everybody say because of how annoying, edgy, crybaby she can be and her popularity is really undeserved and can we please talk about her V-pass, if you comment about how Kirito is a good character becaude of his PTSD you'd probably get laughed at but if you say the same about Shino you'd get props. Let's be honest she sucks and can't compare to the greatness of Asuna, who is a great character since day one. With her strenght and overwhelming beauty, Mrs. Kirigaya is definity the best girl from this franchise. The Phantom Bullet had a bad a masterful plot, just like the Mother's Rosario. And the Calibur was extremely fun. The Ordinal Scale was a 10/10. The Alicization arc, in the Light Novels, is a masterpiece and the anime adaptation really leaves a lot to be desired and cuts out many of Kirito's inner monoglogues, which ruins his character. Unlike Haruyuki's development in the Accel World's anime adaptation.

Yuuki Konno's story is great and she's an overall character. The author is critically aclaimed according to Yes Press and Netflix. So I think that the overall objectie-subjective opiniom of Reki Kawahara is thst of a great Light Novel writter that can make great use of his potential once he feels like it. Kawahara-dono needs to be set on fire for raping Asuna in the Fairy Dance arc, and using rape an sexual assault as a way of making tensing because after all rape scenes suck and he really needs to stop being such a fanboy like for Kazu-chan-san. Sword Art Online is, despite what some naysayers may disagree with me with, a really enjoyable masterpiece and Kirito and Asuna are really great characrers just like Eugeo, Yuuki and Alice.

Speaking about Eugeo, A1-pictures turned one of the best bro's ever into a generic foil for Kirito. Too bad, he was really great during Vols. 9-14, and I love playing with him in the Memory Defrag and the other video game continuities. Alice is a great female character and while she loses to Asuna (and Yuuki) in the best girl 'contests' because of how annoying she can be and Iike her desing and her seiyuu. Scumberg-san is really worthy a "waifu war"? C'mon we all know Asuna is the best. Peace!
Jun 26, 2021 3:26 PM

Nov 2015
I can agree it wasn't as exaggeratedly bad as it's made out to be, but not really memorable at all from what I've seen.
and i guess

that i just don't know
Jun 26, 2021 3:51 PM
Nov 2020
For me season 1&2 was good in MY OPINION
But season 3 wasn’t that good
Jun 26, 2021 8:01 PM

Feb 2021
AndrewAlmer said:

Just wait until you get to Sword Art Online II's second half (If you don't find this boring, then wait till you get to SAO: Alicization), then you'll know why people named this series bad/trash..
It used to be a Good Anime Series, but got ruined because of the crappy sequels...
Jun 26, 2021 8:12 PM

Oct 2020
I have my opinion and I'm sticking it to it: SAO was too ambitious of an anime, but that doesn't make it a bad anime. It tried to be a fantasy, science-fiction, harem, romance-anime all in one swoop. Did it make the plot and themes stretched so thin it developed schizophrenia? Maybe... But was the end result entertaining? For the MOST part, I'd say yes.
Jun 27, 2021 12:39 AM
Jun 2020
I have only seen s1 but personally, I really enjoyed it. The pacing was a bit quick in terms of Kirito and Asuna's relationship, but the world was so cool to me even though it was simple. I enjoyed the first portion of the show. However, the 2nd part when they enter that new world was a bit of a drag. I didn't really like its concept. Nonetheless, I did enjoy watching the show.
Jun 27, 2021 7:11 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
let's see

>9.31 mean score

that already nullifies your opinion bruh, i mean I DID like some parts in SAO but it's just an average anime, nothing else
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Jul 14, 2021 10:18 AM
Apr 2021
It's actually pretty good
Jul 15, 2021 9:50 PM

Jun 2020
Some episodes were good, and some were awful.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.