Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 25, 2021 8:11 AM
Jun 2021
I mean in killing 26,000 people in his time with the death note he subsequently ended all wars, and erased 96% of violent crime worldwide. In doing so he saved 4 million lives that would have been lost in wars or due to violent crimes. All in just 4 years. So evil? I don’t think so. Should he have done what he did anyway? No, no one should play god
Jun 25, 2021 8:45 AM
Aug 2011
TheTakora said:
Spoilers In The Replies I Assume:

I felt a little nostalgic for Death Note today and I just started thinking about Light, was he truly an evil person? I know he had great intentions at the start of the series (and pre-timeskip) but especially after the time-skip, he started growing insane and evil every episode. I know he started kind of emotionless but even then he started growing into a husk of himself as soon as Kira started taking over.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Light is about as evil as highly educated "liberal" thinkers were a century ago. We have HG Wells (widely regarded as a leading liberal of his day) writing on how to deal with the inferior races:

http://www.online-literature.com/wellshg/anticipations/9/

And how will the New Republic treat the inferior races? How will it deal with the black? how will it deal with the yellow man? how will it tackle that alleged termite in the civilized woodwork, the Jew?
And for the rest, those swarms of black, and brown, and dirty-white, and yellow people, who do not come into the new needs of efficiency?

Well, the world is a world, not a charitable institution, and I take it they will have to go.
The men of the New Republic will not be squeamish ... They will have an ideal that will make killing worth the while

HG Wells, famous author = Light, basically. but a more fucked up racist one. HG Wells isn't usually considered evil however.
Jun 25, 2021 9:34 AM
Jan 2021
He was and He is EVIL
Jun 25, 2021 9:50 AM
Feb 2021
no at first but the obioud case to be made is the death note promotes his ego and makes him a truly evil person motivated by ego and selfishness.
Jun 25, 2021 4:05 PM
May 2021
i dont think people are all evil or all good for that matter but i think light started off trying to do something he genuinely believed was good but he grew to only caring about power letting this evil god complex inside him take him over completely. we all have a little bit of evil inside us it just depends on if we make in effort to keep it small.
Jun 25, 2021 6:07 PM
Sep 2013
Yes, and a psychopath. Next question
Jun 25, 2021 6:29 PM

Aug 2020
He has good intentions, but his actions here are in a bad way.

Jun 25, 2021 11:14 PM
Jun 2021
Kamalesh-75 said:
No he was in love with L that's why he chose the way of evil

What?😂 Misa Amane?😂
Jun 26, 2021 6:04 AM
Apr 2019
I think he started off as a normal student then he gained the death note and with his high morals became a source of justice that wasn't necessarily evil. He was administering justice the wrong way but I wouldn't call him evil but slowly as more stress was being put on him he slowly began his descent into madness and pure evil willing to kill anyone to get what he wants and he became unknowingly evil and I don't think he ever was intentionally evil but he definitely did get to the point of being evil.
Jun 26, 2021 6:38 AM

Sep 2020
he had good intentions as to what he was doing, but he didn't carry them through correctly.
Jun 26, 2021 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
Naah never..............
Jun 26, 2021 6:08 PM
Feb 2021
IMHO,no. If I had the death note I'd definitely do the same thing. I think killing bad people who are truly harmful to the world is better than locking them up in a prison and expect them to become better people magically. If they have potential to repent and truely change into good people, like an ex-thief or ex-shop lifter, then I don't see harm in actually rehabilitating them and re-release them into society instead of keeping them in prison.
But if they're a truely dangerous criminal like a racist, a pedophile, a murderer, a serial killer, a mass shooter, a cult leader etc. Then what's the point of keeping them alive to rot in prison prison die there eventually? Just give them the death penalty. This way no one will be encouraged to do such crimes thinking "what are they gonna do? I'll just serve some time in prison and someone will pay for my parole and I'll be out in no time!"
Light had a point with killing them and cleansing the world from truely bad people, and imagine being able to kill that kind of people that manage to escape justice because of their wealth or political position? That would be wonderful and it will truely save the world and make it a better safer place. But light was busy playing tag with L instead and playing detective. He was too stupid I guess. He had the world at his hands and sacrificed it for some temporal chemical reaction in his brain instead. He wasn't evil, he was stupid. Yes, I know he became a detective and managed to kill L, but he revealed himself to brag about what he's done and got killed, how intelligent. But I've watched Death Note 7 years ago so I don't remember everything in detail so...
Jun 26, 2021 7:36 PM

Jul 2020
There ain't no such thing as truly evil or true justice. It depends on perspective. Say light killed a man who had murdered a boy's father. That was justice for the boy. But for the murderer's child, it seems to be evil.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2021 5:37 PM
Nov 2020
IMHO, yes. Do yo remember Naomi Misora? Light didn't feel bad when he wrote her name (she was a good person, after all): on the contrary, he reaveled that he was Kira just for the sake of making her suffer. And if I remember correctly, she died around ep 6th/7th, when Light was still pretty sane. So yes, Light is evil.
Jun 27, 2021 5:45 PM

Feb 2020
ugh evil is such a rough description
he's a complicated character
he might have turned evil over time, i don't really know. But from the very beginning he was basically a kid with a great sense of justice but a morally pretty much fucking blind/black approach to dealing with it
the possibilities the death note gave him alone were the first step to worsening his situation forever
idk it's almost 3 am, my point is that evil is a stupid word and light was a serial killer for something that he himself deemed to be a much bigger purpose

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jun 27, 2021 10:00 PM

Jul 2020
Intentionally no but his actions were.I don't think I need to say more than that.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 29, 2021 6:22 PM
Oct 2020
GiantJupiter said:
Kamalesh-75 said:

What?😂 Misa Amane?😂

She was just a toy for her,he never loved her at the first place.
Jun 30, 2021 10:25 PM
Jun 2021
Kamalesh-75 said:
GiantJupiter said:

What?😂 Misa Amane?😂

She was just a toy for her,he never loved her at the first place.

That's true though.
Jul 2, 2021 6:19 AM
Jul 2021
Light wasn t evil. He had a strong sense of justice and managed to stop wars and drop crime rate by 70+%. The death note world just like ours is corrupted. True justice can t exist in a corrupted world. But he created a bright new world for the kind ppl. Believe me if there was a way for me to remove most of the corruption of the world I would instantly do it even if it costed me my life. The supremacy of Light was that he did it for the society bc he understood that due to corruption laws weren t enough for a good world to exist. So once again no. Light wasn t evil. No revolutionist can be thought as evil even if there can t be a revolution without ppl getting killed
Bamb8sJun 23, 2022 5:51 AM
Jul 4, 2021 4:36 AM
Jan 2021
Can an evil human have good intentions?
Maybe, that depends, good intentions are subjective and not that significant when they're not committed.
In my opinion, Light isn't completely evil, don't forget that although he killed many innocent ones, he also killed criminals that harmed society.
I don't think we know the exact number of innocents or guilty ones that were murdered by him, so we can't correctly judge and claim that he's "truly evil". What we can claim is that Light is more evil than good. No matter who you kill, killing doesn't make you better.
Jul 4, 2021 4:56 AM

Feb 2021
Kamalesh-75 said:

Only if L noticed him, hundreds of people could be saved.
Jul 21, 2021 4:54 AM

Jun 2017
I thought he was very fun to cheer for in a morbid way, but he was not a good person. I think he was rotten from the start.

There're a couple people who want to suggest that anyone with a Death Note of their own would do the same (or try to do the same) as Light, but while I think there might be some truth to how having power and absolutely corrupt you, Death Note doesn't really tell that kind of story. Light's the type of person who would use the Death Note to gratify himself from the get-go, and well, that's what he did. He was the perfect candidate to see immediate results. To suggest that Light was just some ordinary person who just got corrupted by the power he possessed I think is very wrong, and again, this isn't the story that Death Note told.
Jul 27, 2021 6:11 PM

Jun 2017
r1uzaKi said:
Hi! I think that Light WAS a good boy, for real, the power changed him, that happend to everyone:) You know initially you have a good aim but when the power comes you will go crazy and just became the evil:) he was the type of boy that thought he was the king there and nobody couldn’t change him. Anyway Ryuk won so, a happy end, isn’t it?😂

Light was NOT a good boy. He was a very bad boy
Jul 27, 2021 6:17 PM

Jan 2021
no he's just a loner who wanted a peaceful world

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.