Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The final hour of reckoning...that all vampires are loose, and the King of Vampire Fools Rufus Glenn has the newly revamped Special Forces Unit 16 Code Zero under control, thwarting the military with his vampire mentality and signalling the start of a new revolution.

Defrott's Danny Boy performance has Rufus stunned of his survival, the heinous look on his face says it all.

It's time for the Code Zero remnants to head out to face the vampire unit with the vampire kids, and thank God that Aoi is all good, recovered well and housed in Tenmanya. Even she embraced the vampire life being a human to her brother Kurusu, a full-fledged vampire waiting to strike.

All vampires have gathered at the stage that is Tokyo Station (while the kids play Mikan): Kurusu vs. Maeda, the reunion of Suwa with his sister, Defrott vs. Rufus with the illusional dream.

The final vampire battle beckons...
Jun 21, 2021 11:28 AM

Jun 2019
Rufus is really playing his cards well by taking advantage of those Vampire Units like that and dealing with all the vampires on his own. But, he made a mistake, he's thinking too much of himself and calling himself 'the king of vampires'. That type of mentality takes people down. He thought he killed Defrott but nope, he's still alive.

Aoi is chasing Kurusu for now. I hope she makes it there in time. Defrott playing his mind games with Rufus was too much for him to bear and I think he drowned there. LOL. And Suwa's reunion with his sister was cute. (My brain hurts)

Maeda and Kurusu are going to have a final showdown in the last episode.
Pre_YumJun 22, 2021 7:35 AM
Jun 21, 2021 11:39 AM
Sep 2015
I don't buy it when the villain fall so easily after setting up his own army in Tokyo.

The anime tries to do a different thing than manga by opening with Maeda story instead of Kurusu, but I don't buy it. Kurusu story is more interesting to me.

But it doesn't mean I don't like Maeda, since my ship is Maeda X Kuruso (or reverse).

I'm wondering what will happen if vampire drown, dead or alive but paralyzed underwater?

I don't buy that Suwa get a girlfriend, his personality, and his lady-killing smile that work so well he has to put on a mask suggest that he's a playboy.
Jun 21, 2021 2:09 PM

May 2013
First half of the episode felt like still image fluff.

I thought this show could rebound in the last 2 episodes, but it's clear that it's only getting worse. No matter what happens at this point I do not believe it will pay off.

Kurusu had his big reunion with Aoi off screen or something?

Once again they teased Maeda for the 6th time at the end of the episode.

I haven't been this disappointed in a show that I was really interested in, in a long time.
TimidGazelleJun 21, 2021 2:18 PM
Jun 21, 2021 5:57 PM

Mar 2012
TimidGazelle said:
First half of the episode felt like still image fluff.

I thought this show could rebound in the last 2 episodes, but it's clear that it's only getting worse. No matter what happens at this point I do not believe it will pay off.

Kurusu had his big reunion with Aoi off screen or something?

Once again they teased Maeda for the 6th time at the end of the episode.

I haven't been this disappointed in a show that I was really interested in, in a long time.
I wonder how it stacks up to the stage play, since that had a really great reception
Jun 21, 2021 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
now we will have the fight of kuruso vs maeda talking about maeda I noticed that Maeda has changed a lot with his way of acting although he always had an evil appearance or something, the episode ê moments of actions was very well explained what is happening around the events in the episode.
Jun 21, 2021 8:34 PM

Mar 2018
Am I the only one who felt kind of lost this episode? I felt like I'd somehow missed out on several large chunks of story.
Jun 21, 2021 8:45 PM

Jun 2017
Rufus death suited his character but it felt very generic for a character like him to go out like that. I don't know I felt like the way he carried himself I thought his death could be more dramatic with a comedic twist but this was good enough. That romance that occurred at the end of the episode between the two vampire felt out of place since I barely got to know that orphan girl aside from the face she cared about kids? Well at least that scene didn't overstay its welcome. It was more of a 3/5 episode for the plot wrapping up.
Jun 21, 2021 9:49 PM
Jun 2021
Pre_Yum said:
Rufus is really playing his cards well by taking advantage of those Vampire Units like that and dealing with all the vampires on his own. But, he made a mistake, he's thinking too much of himself and calling himself 'the king of vampires'. That type of mentality takes people down. He thought he killed Defrott but nope, he's still alive.

Aoi loves Kurusu and he loves her as well. But, she thinks a vampire and a human cannot be together. She wants to be with him but can't accept the fact he's a vampire. For now, when she realized what she's missing, she started chasing Kurusu. I hope she makes it there in time. Defrott playing his mind games with Rufus was too much for him to bear and I think he drowned there. LOL. Suwa got himself a girl as well. That's nice.

Unless I'm off base here Kurusu is Aoi's brother and she wants to be with him not as lovers but as family. Same with Suwa I thought the girl who's name escapes me was his sister not love interest. I have not researched yet if this has a manga but if it does I will most certainly read it to find out which of us is correct. I do know it was a stage reading but not sure if it was made into a manga as of yet. Lastly the part with Maeda and Kurusu showdown throws me as to why they would since they were teammates. I guess I will go rewatch the series to see what I missed about their turning against each other.
Jun 21, 2021 10:19 PM
Jan 2021
I know a lot happens, but why are sudden crew mates fighting the captain. I pay close attention as I can, but why is the captain suddenly the bad guy? Is it because he wants to kill vamp kids too?
Jun 21, 2021 10:26 PM

Feb 2020
it seems like they skipped over pretty important stuff, like aoi reuniting with kurusu/finding out he's a vampire and the whole traitor reveal of that girl who's name I don't remember (also, is she Suwa's sister? some other people said that but I don't remember that coming up in the anime). This episode just felt like a bunch of scenes slapped together in a really unsatisfying way, with very little continuity from the last episode. also I can't believe it's been this long since maeda became a vampire and he's done nothing the whole time. there isn't even enough time to salvage his character lol. well I'm not sure what I expected from this show but it certainly wasn't this. at least it's almost over lol
Jun 21, 2021 10:43 PM

Dec 2020
while watching the episode i felt like i skipped an ep but i didnt, they did. they skipped some parts but we can still get what's going on so eh. little gir land suwa scene was really sweet i liked it. kurusu and maeda showdown next ep, have a feeling maeda will die, and kurusu might join him
Jun 22, 2021 12:02 AM

Aug 2019
Kurusu isn't AoI's brother, he grew with her family. They say in anime that her real brother, who was soldier, died and there is scene, where Kurusu says that he won't die like her brother and he will come back from his mission

I dunno where people get idea that girl is Suwa's sister, he's like 200-300 year old and girl is newly converted by Rufus

Maeda is crazy, we saw same thing happen with his fiancee in first ep. As for why he attack Kurusu - he hates vampires and now that he can't think clearly he wants to kill all vampires he sees
Jun 22, 2021 12:14 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
This episode is suddenly becoming too fast, man. I almost lost the plot when Rufus suddenly got an upper hand so much, until i realized, there's still a connection within Rufus succession. Its just a temporary matter. Defrott proved to be accomplishing his mission, giving Rufus such a nightmare. Its not what i expect over his instant death. But, well, that's how vampire dying. If not because of a sun burn, you died drowning in the darkness of the vast ocean.

To my surprised its about those little girl vampire. She was the reason behind why Rufus successfully found Tenmaya hidden camp and burning those place. Thats answered her weird movement on some part at the previous episode. But, ofc everyone already move away, without a king of fools realizing it.

How could it be like that? Pretty sure Takeuchi got one and two plans to disguised everything perfectly, and Suwa did the things only he could do, with those girl. Interesting, even though i can't appreciated it much because of its obvious dissapointed pacing. Especially with the last section of Maeda versus Kurusu, and then Suwa went to USA. Fuckin Suwa finally found his forever life partner!

Well, can't judge it more than that. Because i already reach the final part next week. So, yeah, lets see how this show end....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 22, 2021 1:47 AM

Oct 2016
That was a really great episode, probably my favorite by far. Showing the intro with Rufus feeling like he was the "King of Vampires" was great, only to find out Defrott and Code Zero is still alive, he's not the King of Vampires, he was the King of Fools. That was the perfect death for him, for someone who is insignificant that is trying to be significant.

I really love Miyuki Sawashiro's performance in this, Defrott is awesome. Rufus's shocked face was beautiful. He was so weak that Shutarou didn't even notice that he was a vampire. Shutarou and Aoi was so adorable, I kinda wished they showed how Aoi reacted after seeing Shutarou as a vampire. I hope Suwa and Ayame find happiness together. While Maeda was out here just killing every vampire he sees. Really looking forward to the finale.
Jun 22, 2021 3:31 AM

Apr 2018
A showdown between Maede and Kurusu? Let's go. Can't wait for the next episode.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 22, 2021 5:59 AM
Oct 2019
Ahh.. I wanted to like this. I wanted to give it a 7 but as someone said above, I feel like I skipped an episode watching this.

Maeda appearing once again but I still feel lost on how he's now apparently the bad guy (?) I'm hoping we get to see Maeda's inner thoughts on himself in the finale cuz I clearly don't understand his motive, or maybe he's just completely under Rufus' control.

And the girl whom with Suwa from the last episode is now beside Rufus like.. Did I miss something?
Jun 22, 2021 7:26 AM
Jul 2020
help me i am lost did i miss something?
Jun 22, 2021 7:34 AM

Jun 2019
Anime4Me0226 said:
Pre_Yum said:

Aoi loves Kurusu and he loves her as well. But, she thinks a vampire and a human cannot be together. She wants to be with him but can't accept the fact he's a vampire. For now, when she realized what she's missing, she started chasing Kurusu. I hope she makes it there in time. Defrott playing his mind games with Rufus was too much for him to bear and I think he drowned there. LOL. Suwa got himself a girl as well. That's nice.

Unless I'm off base here Kurusu is Aoi's brother and she wants to be with him not as lovers but as family. Same with Suwa I thought the girl who's name escapes me was his sister not love interest. I have not researched yet if this has a manga but if it does I will most certainly read it to find out which of us is correct. I do know it was a stage reading but not sure if it was made into a manga as of yet. Lastly the part with Maeda and Kurusu showdown throws me as to why they would since they were teammates. I guess I will go rewatch the series to see what I missed about their turning against each other.

I went back and rewatched previous episodes and.... YUP... you're right. It really didn't go through my mind. I for some reason forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. LOL Don't know where my brain went while writing this.
Jun 22, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2020
It felt like there was an episode missing between 11 and 12, several plot points suddenly happening or resolved with no explanation. Like why is Ayame working with Rufus?

Throughout this series I feel that the premise is really strong, and I like the music and animation style, but it has often been wasted by poor storytelling. Tempted to red the manga to see if that tells the story better.
Jun 22, 2021 7:59 AM

Jul 2020
Pre_Yum said:
Anime4Me0226 said:

I went back and rewatched previous episodes and.... YUP... you're right. It really didn't go through my mind. I for some reason forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. LOL Don't know where my brain went while writing this.

They're not brothers though... it's just that Kurusu was living at Aoi's place (I assume after his parents' death since they're not mentioned) - but they're just childhood friends. Their relationship is up to your interpretation but there's so much romantic subtext that you shouldn't ignore. Aoi even tells Kurusu that he shouldn't be embarassed by people that were assuming that they were engaged. Defrott calls them Romeo and Juliet and they work as a perfect parallel/contrast to Maeda and Misaki - and I'm sure that it will be made even more clear in the next episode.

As to why Maeda is an enemy: it should be obvious that he's not conscious and he's acting driven by his own instincts. And his istincts are telling him that he needs to kill all the vampires (maybe to protect Misaki?). So basically he's a threat for Takeuichi and all the other vampires that can't leave the country because of him. It shouldn't surprise us because it has already happened with Misaki. The reason could be either Defrott's blood (too toxic for them to handle) or the fact that they were turned when they were already dying but it doesn't matter.
Jun 22, 2021 8:04 AM

Jun 2019
zVergil said:
Pre_Yum said:

They're not brothers though... it's just that Kurusu was living at Aoi's place (I assume after his parents' death since they're not mentioned) - but they're just childhood friends. Their relationship is up to your interpretation but there's so much romantic subtext that you shouldn't ignore. Aoi even tells Kurusu that he shouldn't be embarassed by people that were assuming that they were engaged. Defrott calls them Romeo and Juliet and they work as a perfect parallel/contrast to Maeda and Misaki - and I'm sure that it will be made even more clear in the next episode.

As to why Maeda is an enemy: it should be obvious that he's not conscious and he's acting driven by his own instincts. And his istincts are telling him that he needs to kill all the vampires (maybe to protect Misaki?). So basically he's a threat for Takeuichi and all the other vampires that can't leave the country because of him. It shouldn't surprise us because it has already happened with Misaki. The reason could be either Defrott's blood (too toxic for them to handle) or the fact that they were turned when they were already dying but it doesn't matter.

Now I'm fuckin' more confused... My brain hurts... AHH!!! LOL
Jun 22, 2021 8:11 AM

Jul 2020
Pre_Yum said:
zVergil said:

Hahahahahah, by what? The fact that they're childhood friends is mentioned multiple times by Aoi in episode 2, while the fact that they Kurusu was a freeloader at Aoi's place is explaned in episode 7. In fact, he joined the military in order to become more independent without taking advantage of her family's generosity
Jun 22, 2021 8:23 AM

Jun 2019
zVergil said:
Pre_Yum said:

Hahahahahah, by what? The fact that they're childhood friends is mentioned multiple times by Aoi in episode 2, while the fact that they Kurusu was a freeloader at Aoi's place is explaned in episode 7. In fact, he joined the military in order to become more independent without taking advantage of her family's generosity

I get what you're saying but now I'm confused, does she like Kurusu? Because, how I'm seeing this, she's definitely interested in him, or am I thinking it too far? Relationships in shows really mess me up more or less. I can't put my finger on one thing.
Jun 22, 2021 8:33 AM

Jul 2020
Pre_Yum said:
zVergil said:

I get what you're saying but now I'm confused, does she like Kurusu? Because, how I'm seeing this, she's definitely interested in him, or am I thinking it too far? Relationships in shows really mess me up more or less. I can't put my finger on one thing.

You're not thinking it too far! In my opinion, it's pretty obvious that they like each other but I wouldn't argue against people that think that they're just friends. There are lots of hints regarding a possible romantic interest though. I just wanted to make it clear that they're not brothers lol! I suggest giving the manga a try, chapters 1-4 make their thoughts and backstory clear, while not giving any kind of spoilers for the show (which did a great job in my opinion but whatever!).
Jun 22, 2021 8:52 AM
May 2016
Jaces_Sanctum said:
Am I the only one who felt kind of lost this episode? I felt like I'd somehow missed out on several large chunks of story.

No it's frustratingly incoherent and gets worse with each episode, I seriously have no clue what is going on. This show sucks.
Jun 22, 2021 8:56 AM

Jun 2019
zVergil said:
Pre_Yum said:

You're not thinking it too far! In my opinion, it's pretty obvious that they like each other but I wouldn't argue against people that think that they're just friends. There are lots of hints regarding a possible romantic interest though. I just wanted to make it clear that they're not brothers lol! I suggest giving the manga a try, chapters 1-4 make their thoughts and backstory clear, while not giving any kind of spoilers for the show (which did a great job in my opinion but whatever!).

I knew about Kurusu and Aoi being friends and possibly a love interest but I wasn't sure about Suwa and that girl. And, yeah I think I'll just go ahead and read the manga for any possible confusions. But thanks, dude. :)
Jun 22, 2021 9:15 AM

Jul 2020
MenchiK1 said:
Jaces_Sanctum said:

No it's frustratingly incoherent and gets worse with each episode, I seriously have no clue what is going on. This show sucks.

Feel free to tell me your doubts here or in private, I'll try to answer as soon as I can. The fact that things are not explicitly stated but just hinted doesn't mean that it's incoherent. Everyone on Reddit predicted the outcome, I can't see a single bit of incoherence? I'd be happy to discuss this :)
Jun 22, 2021 9:39 AM
Mar 2015
Rufus finally got his
Jun 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
I legit have no idea what's going on anymore. I had to check if I just skipped an episode but apparently, I didn't.
Jun 22, 2021 2:56 PM

Sep 2017
I agree, this episode feels like there were massive story points omitted. The pacing feels so off and I have no idea what happened with Rufus and Defrot at the end or what the little girl traitor subplot (not to mention the oranges thing) was about. Plus ever since Maeda has become a vampire we've seen him like twice and his only line has basically been "I will kill vampires". Like wtf is that?
Jun 22, 2021 4:22 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 12 and its good.. its not the flesh and blood that makes us human, but the heart.. a very good line coming from suwa, the assassin vampire.. as apocalypse is going on in tokyo, quite a lot of unexpected things happen.. like defrott being alive after all, glenn now being too naive that hes lost sight of everything, aoi also still alive, and maeda being the last boss.. its a bit expected tho, that maeda has hatred over vampires, and a bit unexpected that he also became one.. in order just to kill every other vampire out there, maybe also before killing himself.. as suwa departs on another adventure, with the little girl.. just what will happen next? Is it a happy, or a tragedy? Anyways, i rate the episode a 9 of 10, 9 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 22, 2021 7:53 PM
May 2016
zVergil said:
MenchiK1 said:

Feel free to tell me your doubts here or in private, I'll try to answer as soon as I can. The fact that things are not explicitly stated but just hinted doesn't mean that it's incoherent. Everyone on Reddit predicted the outcome, I can't see a single bit of incoherence? I'd be happy to discuss this :)

I shouldn't have to need someone to explain it to me, I watched and paid attention to every episode, I shouldn't need any help.
Jun 22, 2021 8:43 PM

Jul 2020
MenchiK1 said:
zVergil said:

I shouldn't have to need someone to explain it to me, I watched and paid attention to every episode, I shouldn't need any help.

Well, if other people understood everything maybe you didn't pay enough attention like you think you did - and that's totally okay lol. Don't know what to say, at least I tried.
Jun 23, 2021 7:47 AM
Apr 2021
ProofByColor said:
I agree, this episode feels like there were massive story points omitted. The pacing feels so off and I have no idea what happened with Rufus and Defrot at the end or what the little girl traitor subplot (not to mention the oranges thing) was about. Plus ever since Maeda has become a vampire we've seen him like twice and his only line has basically been "I will kill vampires". Like wtf is that?
They better have a good reason for hiding Maeda's motivations, because at this point it's not even mysterious, it's just confusing.
A lot of the decisions here feel confusing
what I feel like is that we're watching a sparknotes version of the original anime that must have got cut down in half due to budget cuts. That's the only logical reason that could explain this. The writing on episode 1 and 6 was so good that there really isn't any other excuse for why this sucks so bad
Jun 23, 2021 9:44 AM

Jul 2020
romance developed very fast, the good guy turned evil for no apparent reasons and the generic villain died in an unmemorable, though not so bad way. disappointing episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2021 6:40 PM
Dec 2008
Jaces_Sanctum said:

I felt like I was missing something too. I rewatched the end of the last episode to make sure I didn't skip something post-credits or something like that.
GritoitJun 23, 2021 6:43 PM
Jun 23, 2021 11:01 PM

Jun 2007
The story flow between each episode is absolutely atrocious. This episode took the cake though. It feels like they're skipping "episodes" just to get to the good stuff and because of this it's casing a sense of disconnect and confusion (as seen above by others).
Jun 24, 2021 12:38 AM

Sep 2020
I'm loving this right now, everyone was great. I like Rufus and the way he wore his hat, I like the way he slowly realized he wasn't as important as he thought he was, I thought his death was a little rushed but him going slightly crazy was cool.

I loved Shuutarou and Maeda (Maeda looks so damn cool) and I really wanna see them fight. I'm sure Aoi will break the fight up, I really wanna see her with Shuutarou again too.

Oh yeah I thought I skipped an episode or something but nope that's just how it is. I feel like this show would be incredible if they got the time to do everything. Some of the scenes looked crappy this time around too.

For some reason this is fantastic in my opinion (even if it is a little bad), can't wait for the finale.

Jun 24, 2021 7:17 AM

Mar 2012
Felt like I skipped an episode by mistake so I went back to check the previous episode and turns out I didn't. What's going on here!?
Jun 25, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2013
Like the other commenters, while watching this episode I, too, wondered if I had somehow missed an episode...
Jun 25, 2021 5:23 PM

Dec 2018
I liked what I was shown, but I wish I could have loved it.

It isn't particularly difficult to figure out the puzzle's missing pieces a few minutes in.

What was most jarring was the opening's assault of the vampire units, set to winter itself, yet without the proper action choreography and character animation to justify its beauty.

I don't know whether an additional year, twice the staff, and ten times the budget would have given us a better depiction of these events, but despite how much I've come to love Mars Red for its story and characters, its technical aspects have long since left me wanting.

At the very least I am greatful for the two beautiful scenes we did have, one with the oldest vampire, and the other with the youngest.

Only the finale remains. I wonder whether it'll rhyme with the beggining.
jimfaindelJun 25, 2021 5:26 PM
If I could be an expert in just one arcane,
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.
Jun 27, 2021 4:23 AM
Feb 2017
This show was one of my favourites for spring season but the last two episodes were so disappointing. Had to check twice whether I skipped an episode or not.
Jun 30, 2021 11:04 PM
Nov 2020
I'm so confused is that orphan girl(forgot her name) suwa's sister or a love interest??. Also if its a love interest it was so rushed and out of place honestly
Jul 2, 2021 7:55 AM

Dec 2016
What was that? I had to go back to check if I skipped episode 11 or something but it's the freakin' anime itself that skipped... At least show something like “Two or Three months later”

The translators should've put the “Several moments later” Spongebob meme at the beginning then we wouldn't be this confused.
Aug 15, 2021 5:36 AM

Feb 2018
Goodbye Danny boy, you won't be missed lol
Sep 3, 2021 10:04 AM

Jul 2015
Satisfying to see the manipulative Rufus die by Defrott using his specialty: trickery.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

53 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 19, 2021

62 by St0rmblade »»
Oct 26, 2023 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 10, 2021

47 by BreakApart »»
Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

184 by Muow »»
Apr 22, 2023 3:51 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

37 by Muow »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.