Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2021 7:02 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both ok. I saw the news about the flooding in Germany earlier today. Am glad you;re ok @inim.

That was a decent ending i thought. Amber summed up our questions about the origins of the gate when she said "we don't know why the gate appeared or who sent it and who we make contracts with", basically saying that if they don't know then there's no chance that we as the audience are going to find out. I'm ok with that now, i have all these questions but I've enjoyed this mystery world that the author has created and I'm happy to watch these agencies battle it out along with the contractors and dolls move to build a better existence for themselves.

I didn't guess that Hei's sister Pei was actually with him the whole time. I thought that Hei's over eating was a sort of price he had to pay for his powers, but now it makes more sense, why he still has emotions, even though he has powers. It doesn't make much sense, 2 people fused into one, but I get what the writers trying to do.

I didn't mind the saccharin ending, everything turns out ok, although I agree that this show does shy away from certain themes, like sexuality, which is interesting given that it's fairly graphic in it's depiction of people being blown apart during the fighting. We did get a couple of kisses, but i wanted Hei and Kirihara to at least have a bit of a deeper connection, they seemed like similar souls who got each other.

I gave this show a solid 8/10. There are still some questions but i thought the world building and character writing was very good. I've been captivated from beginning to end!

Onto ep 26 (OVA1) tomorrow and then we start OVA2 on Sunday. It'll be fun to move straight onto the next season, something I haven't done before iirc.

Have a good evening.
Jul 17, 2021 4:01 AM

Jun 2019
Hello,

It's boiling hot here today, too hot (only 26 C so not as hot as the 30 C you had in Sweden @filifjonkan). Hope you're both enjoying your weekend, assuming you're not working that is.

Episode 26 or OVA 1 and a bunch of random funny occurrences make this quite an enjoyable special. It was still set within the framework of S1's story but they used fan fiction and a mission to get a pink vial as the catalyst for some fun.

Onto OVA2 tomorrow. I feel in the mood for an anime movie today, i like watching anime movies on Saturday. Am trying to chose between Gall Force (suggested by @inim), Perfect Blue and Galaxy Express 999.

Have a good Saturday.
Jul 17, 2021 7:21 AM
Dec 2018
Hello!

The temperature is slowly dropping to around 28 degrees today, and is expecting to go down to 22 in next week. Pheeeew, it is hot! For real this time. @23feanor

I have watched Perfect Blue and I thought it was a very good film. I can also recommend Tokyo Godfathers, about a child.

Enjoy your weekend /fili
Jul 18, 2021 4:01 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both well and you had a good weekend meeting your friend @inim. It's another hot day here in the UK, up to 28 C, but not so humid atm. It's the humidity that i find hardest to deal with.

I watched Galaxy Express 999 in the end yday and it was a fun space adventure. I'll watch Perfect Blue next time i sit down on a Saturday afternoon. Is Perfect Blue a fun watch @filifjonkan, as I've heard it's quite psychological, i don't mind darker shows, but i have to be in the right mood going into the film/show.

Onto DTB OVA 2 episode 1, which from the synopsis takes place immediately after the events at Hell's Gate.

Another change of pace at the start and we see Yin and Hei playing the roles of a newly married couple. Yin has a fragile captivating beauty and it's clear she has strong feelings for Hei, as he does for her, as they are the sole survivors from the fallout at Hell's Gate. Being in a life or death struggle together must draw them closer together. But we see clear evidence of Yin's desire for physical attachment, a hand being held, a cuddle as she develops from her initial state as a doll, whatever that actually means, as we still don't know clearly how dolls are made, although it sounds certain they are created by some human technology, rather than contractors which sound like they awaken to their powers.

I wonder where they'll go next. Will they meet up with EPR?

Have a nice Sunday.

Jul 18, 2021 10:06 AM
Dec 2018
Hello, guys!

Greetings and I hope that your weekend has treated you nicely. I have been to my job, a caretaker for mentally ill and developmental disorders, both on Saturday and today. I will be on vacation after next week. I hope that I will beable to comment on the episodes of DtB then.

@23feanor; Perfect Blue is worth watching, in my opinion. It has some very dark, almost disturbing moments, but all in all, I think it is a movie that well portraits what happen when you are slowly broken down. If you decide to watch it, please consider to give your thoughts on it.

Take care, tomodachi
Jul 18, 2021 3:32 PM

Apr 2019
@ Perfect Blue: This is a hard anime with the tags psychological, dementia, horror and drama. So is it disturbing? You bet it is. In a nutshell this anime illustrates how it feels to slip into mental illness, schizophrenia to be precise. It has two very graphic parts in which in the uncut version pubic hair (and of course full frontal nudity) is visible. It has a rape scene. It has a brutal knife murder. And so on and so forth.

Maybe you know the Italian crime-thriller genre "Giallo", of which Dario Argento is the most famous director. Perfect Blue is very similar to that genre, which mean it's a hard boiled psychological thriller. The point is: nothing of the shock value matters in it, because it's handled by Satoshi Kon. Satoshi ranks #2 in my favorites of "greatest anime director of all time" and "Perfect Blue" is his best movie, a 10/10 and member of my list of 10 MAL favorites.

Perfect Blue is an immensely influential movie (I say movie and not anime, because it really transcends it's media format). There are two movies which wouldn't exist without it. Black Swan (2011) is a very similar story also set in the world of performing art, ballet in Swan and Idol / Movie in Perfect Blue. It won BAFTA, Oscar and Golden Globe 2011 for Best Female Actor - Nathalie Portman in the role which in Perfect Blue is Mima Kirigoe. The other movie is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_for_a_Dream which has a very different plot, but copies full scenes literally 1:1. You can feel the influence of Satoshi Kon's style in anime to this day. Odd Taxi feels like a Satoshi Kon production, it's director confirmed this direct influence in an interview.

As said there's pretty graphic sexuality and some violence in Perfect Blue, along with dementia from it's depiction of mental illness. In Germany, the uncut version was rated FSK 16. America was less amused, they cut away 3:09 minutes initially - mainly pubic hair, some camera angles in the rape scene and nipples. So be careful which version you pick, the one on youtube certainly isn't the one you want. US cut version (R-rated) = 78:10 min. (NTSC), uncut Japanese / German version 77:32 min. (PAL). NTSC has a lower frame frate than PAL, so despite the shorter runtime, when played at NTSC speed the uncut (in the US: unrated =~ X-rated) is 3:09 min longer. You can find both the cut and uncut English versions, have a look here for the differences (sorry, German page): https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=4873

'nuff said. Enjoy Mima's descent into madness :D
inimJul 18, 2021 3:40 PM

Jul 18, 2021 3:44 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 26 (OVA1) Special for Darker Than Black with a typical mystery plot arc, but played as self-parody and involving most of the main cast. Animated along with the main series and of exactly the same quality. Wholesome and delivering some good gags, nice addition.

Jul 19, 2021 7:27 AM
Dec 2018
Hello @inim thank you for developing your thoughts on Perfect Blue - I couldn't agree any more.

Take care in the heat!
Jul 19, 2021 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hoe you're both well today, it's another boiling day here. Thanks for the info on Perfect Blue @inim. From the trailer i guessed it contained some fairly disturbing material so will chose the right time to watch it in future. The version i have tagged on 9anime is the english dub at 81 mins, guessing it's probably the R+ rated version.

So episode 2 of the OVA and i think there seems more intensity to this series as Hei and Yin are the only members of their group remaining and they're on the run. Yin acting out (she's being possessed by her own spectre i think, or is another doll or contractor controlling Yin using her spectre, not sure which, either way it's saving her and Hei's life so it seems to be on their side, for the moment anyway) is intriguing to watch given her staid nature in S1.

Have a good evening.
Jul 20, 2021 9:02 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Another boiling day here, it didn't go below 20 C all night and it's up to 32 C here today, they even put an amber weather warning out for the first time ever in Hampshire, i think due to all the problems we've seen with heat waves across the world. They want people to be ready for the hot conditions.

We also had all most of our covid restrictions lifted yday so you don't have to wear masks everywhere anymore and you can get a beer from a bar again. Nearly all the new cases of covid here in the UK are people that have refused to get the vaccine, although that said I have heard a few people who've been double jabbed get covid, but only mildly ,one guy only found out because his covid tests was positive but he just had a sniffle. So the vaccine obviously works, which is good to know.

Episode 3 and Hei and Yin meet up with EPR, although it's a different ragtag group without Amber's steady leadership. We learn the Syndicate has fallen apart and is squabbling amongst itself for the spoils and power.

We also hear about a prophecy that 'someone with power to change the world shall awaken' and differently people see this either as a threat or salvation for contractors. The guy with blonde hair with a pink turf seems to want to set the world ablaze and is the one that took off with Yin after injecting her with an unknown agent to induce her to awaken.

My guess is that ep 4 will be a sort of mini finale setting up the final arc to come in the remaining 12 eps, where Yin will be chased as 'the one who will awaken' by both sides for different reasons. Which side will Hei by on?

Have a good evening.
Jul 20, 2021 12:25 PM

Apr 2019

Episode 1-3 OVA2 After the (timeloop repeated) events at Hell's Gate and the demise of Huang and Mao, Yin and Hei are on the run from the syndicate. Which we know wants them, if not all contractors and dolls in general, dead. They first take the guise of a newly wed couple on their honey moon. They reach a Chinese island (Hong Kong), and eventually meet a group of EPR remnants there offering them shelter in some kind of protected area for contractors on the run. That far, it's a fairly normal road movie with "hunted by the mafia and pretty much everybody else" backdrop.

The really interesting part is the evolution of Yin. She has started to show very emotional and for her kind odd behavior ever since she and Hei returned from Hell's Gate. She e.g. hugged Huang good bye, and she clearly has fallen in love with Hei during their escape, and he returns the feeling. We get a scene in the opening of episode 2 (screenshot) in a flashback showing the moment where Hei was in his "deceased friends" EVA-clone limbo scene, but this time staying with Yin. She meets a golden entity, and when she touches the water the blue-ish ghost with the three black eyes/face marks rises from it. We later on see that blue ghost many times, and it starts to blur with Yin by impersonating her, in one scene in full, in another in part (just her face).

The golden ghost could be somebody we do not know yet, or it could be some spirit related to Hei. That's because she grabs that ghost's hand, and it seems to be friendly. She also called Hei's name many times before it appeared. It may represent the change of Hei in the limbo. Or it is a new player. The blue ghost clearly is a water ghost and it follows Yin on their journey. It#s unclear if she is in it's control, I think it's more the other way around. She clearly is fighting inside, or in the words of those in the know: she hasn't fully awoken yet. That being is called by a name by the EPR guys they meet in the hideout: Izanami.

Episode 3 ends with a lot of dead contractors, and one more time Yin doubles as kidnapped damsel in distress. It's unclear who killed the dog contractor and the mother. I really hope it wasn't Yin, because frankly she slowly turns into a monster. This culminates in the finale scene of Episode 3 where the fatally wounded dog contractor orders Hei to kill her because he sees the villain from a prophecy in her.

Jul 21, 2021 8:52 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both well today.

That was a really good final episode for this special. So Yin has awaken and the prophecy for Izunami has come to pass. Yin doesn't mention or refer to Izunami, but it seemed like she had 2 personalities when she was talking to Hei, a white version and a dark black version. I guess that Yin was talking to Izunami, the golden glowing girl in her mind at the end.

I've really liked this whole 4 ep arc, it's had more intensity than S1 but that's because it's based around Hei and Yin running for their lives and then having to deal with this awakening business. Seeing Hei let loose against the whole building trying to get to Yin was pretty cool, Hei's rather badass.

It's an interesting twist, now the focus of the story is on Yin/Izunami rather than the Gate. I wouldn't have guessed at the beginning of the series that Yin would go on to be the central focus of the story when she seemed the quietest by her nature as a doll.

We discover the true purpose of the original syndicate was to stop the Izunami prophecy, and this was even before the Gates appeared.

I gave this an 8/10 as it was really just an extension of S1 or a bridge between S1 and S2.

Onto the second and final season tomorrow then. How will the series finish out, will Hei rescue Yin? Will Hei see Kirihara again?

Have a good evening.

Jul 21, 2021 11:24 AM

Apr 2019
Episode 4 (OVA2) I share @23feanor 's verdict for OVA2: as good as the main series or even a bit better, and with very interesting story development / plot twists. Yin is the babe, she's already in my top 10 kuuderes / emotionless girls. And they put her into some sexy outfits in the OVA :D
Tag notes: Chronologically bridging S1 and S2 of Darker Than Black, it's dramatically the franchise's finale. A few mysteries are resolved, but at the same time more cosmic horror grade elements introduced. Story, action, chars and atmosphere are as good as S1. (7/10)
As for the story of season 2, if they keep up with the current rate of game changing revelations, we may learn this all was a prequel to K-On in the end. Or end of the world. Or pretty much anything. What I really love about the show is it's unpredictability at large. A few things are set, such as basic shounen elements and Hei's thick plot armor. That's fine, we need him to keep the plot together. But as for the world and the side characters, anything goes and that is good.

Jul 22, 2021 3:35 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both well today. It's slightly cooler here today, only getting up to 27 C rather than the 33 C we saw yday.

I agree @inim, Yin has quickly become a really interesting character. I've always liked kuudere's (Tobichi from Date A Live, Miss Beelzebub from As Miss Beelzebub Likes It and Koneko from Highschool DxD are a few of my favourites) and with her personality slowly developing it makes Yin even more interesting. She loves Hei and is trying to protect him from herself, even at the cost of being alone again. She's a bit thin, but she did look very cute in some of the outfits she wore in the special when she was posing as Hei's wife.

Episode 1 of the final S2 and we get a new setting, Vladivostok, in Russia and a new character intro, Shion who's a contractor and his twin sister, Suou. We see April and July from MI6 again and at the end a very dishevelled looking Hei, who it appears kills April. I'm guessing that Suou is going to travel back to Tokyo to find her mother and the story will move back there so hopefully we'll see Kirihara and the Kurasawa detective again.

Have a good day.
Jul 22, 2021 4:02 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 1 Deep in the Russian province lives a single dad and his fraternal twins Suo (girl) and Shion (boy). The show's title is "Gemini", the twins from the Zodiac associated with Greek mythological twins Castor and Pollux. I will be damned if this motif and the legend isn't useful parsing this show's plot. Also Gemini is of course a stellar object, well fitting the contractor-star relation.

Anyway, the day shit hits the fan in the Tokyo finale of S1, one of the falling stars hits the Pavlichenko's (that the three) house. Time leap of 2 years. Shion turned into a contractor fairly spontaneously, this clarifies he process of contractor creation as good as we have had it yet. His dad researches him (he's a scientist) when Suo's friend Tanya also turns into a contractor.

We meet Hei again, who now works for the CIA an developed alcoholism. The Russian police / FSB storms the Pavlichenko house, killing the father and attempting to kidnap hion. Hei is tasked to protect Shion and ends up in a fight with fellow contractor April, the blue haired dark skinned woman we know from S1, and kills her.

Episode 2 is in a nutshell the clash of multiple secret agencies trying to abduct or protect Shion. There's the FSB, Hei for the CIA, a new Japanese contractor couple with yuri traits (I kissed a man and a girl), and August 7 aka "The Magician" for the MI6. Maybe more. Eventually Hei and Suo, whom everybody had mistaken for Shion, escape together. Hei wants Suo to give him an artifact called "meteor fragment", but doesn't get it. In a post-credit scene in Japan, Hei's "almost holding hand" police buddy Misaki Kirihara watches the sky and sees Hei's star BK-201 vanish. We also see Yin again in a short cut, she seems to be in the ethereal limbo we left her at the end of S1 doing what she us best at: being mute and mysterious.

---

Phew, this is complicated and confusing but good. Hard to tell all those players apart but that's probably intentionally at this point. What's clear is that the twins are very important for almost everybody, so what is their deeper secret? The animation was greatly improved, the show is really pretty. They also introduced more ecchi: bathing scene in S1, yuri baiting and Hei groping Suo in S2. Guess this feature is here to stay. So far: similar pattern than S1, new players, some old players, side-character contractors still die like flies, and I have no real clue what's going on. Life is good.

Jul 23, 2021 8:00 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Well it's finally cooled down a slight bit, only up to 26 C today.

Episode 2 continues with the frantic pace the action running through most of the episode. Hei comes across Suou and it looks like these two will come together to travel.

You're right @inim the animation has improved, maybe the popularity of S1 allowed the studio to give S2 the special treatment.

I forgot to mention that in ep 1 we get an explanation for how Shion becomes a contractor, a falling star (indicating a dying contractor) hits him and he takes on the power, although I'm guessing that this isn't the way all contractors are made, as I'm sure we'd hear from some of the other contractors about being hit by a meteorite, whereas some of them clearly said in S1 they don't know how they became a contractor, it just happened.

You're also correct @inim when saying I have no idea where the shows going each episode. We know that Hei is going to try and find Yin and the CIA are employing him by giving him the chance to find her. So Hei will slowly make his way towards Yin, but what happens then I have no clue. We'll probably see Kirihara again when we get to Tokyo, but that's not really pertinent to the story. It'll be fun to see how things turn out. I quite like Suou, she's gutsy and picking up that massive rifle shows she's not going to take this whole business lying down.

Suou may be good for a depressed and alcoholic Hei, who looks like shit, and needs someone to care about. A lively kid might be a good match for Hei now we don't have Huang, Yin or Mao in the show. Suou might be a good balance for Hei's sullen disposition.

Have a good evening.
Jul 24, 2021 8:50 AM

Apr 2019
Episode 3 of S2 This is a rather technical story to place and set up the personae in their positions in the main plot, which will return to Japan. Sou and Hei continue to be chased and are caught by a high-tech trap which creates a sphere and explosions. The effects are unclear, but both refugees seem to be changed. They eventually escape by jumping into a frozen lake and escape to a hidden hut. Here Hei explains Sou (who is half-Japanese) to take her to Japan with him.

On the railway station they meet Sou's school friend Tanya, now a fully awake contractor working for the FSB and trying to stop hei and Sou. An unexpected supporter shows up, Mao now trapped in the body of a squirrel. Together they manage to escape from the FSB forces, not without leaving a lot of wrecked trains behind. The poetic justice here is that the key is Tanya's sacked ex-boyfriend playing the decoy to cover up the escape.

In the final scene we see we-almost-held-hands Misaki Kirihara has to decide between two secret agency jobs and chooses to leave behind her long time police department for the promise to be tasked finding Hei in her new unit.

A lot hapepned but no new secrets were revealed or noteworthy character development done. But the world is ready for whatever the writers plan to do in and with Japan.

@23feanor 81:24 for Perfect Blue is the right cut, I rewatched the movie today at exactly that length (in the German dub). Not a single frame missing.

Jul 24, 2021 2:10 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 4 mainly consists of Sou's training arc and Kirihara'ss first day in her new super-secret intelligence job. Hei serves as Sou's mentor both w/r to physical abilities and psychology of an emotionless contractor. Sou of course still hates the murderer of her father, which she thinks he is. We et to know a gang of punks who Hei orders Sou to defeat as practical training. One gang member and his transvestite dad (also the landlord of Hei's group) get some more character development, probably to be used soon. The overall main theme is Sou's struggle with her transformation, the loss of emotions in particular.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that Sou is officially a contractor now, of course. She has the ability to manifest and shoot a gigantic sniper rifle. When she did it the first time I wasn't sure, but it happened again: she has a magical girl transformation sequence when she does it. Not only red eyes, full henshin proper :) Speaking of powers, Mao mentions that Hei hardly eats anymore, but is contract payment was overeating. We haven't seen his powers in S2 yet.

EDIT2: My first WE in 4 weeks where I can do my loner binge thing like all the time before. I always was busy the previous 3 ones. Life really changes I guess. Good to see you two also are "AWOL". Being AWOL from online hobbies usually is a good thing[tm]. I'm very close (200 points) to my 2nd red star on mal badges, which is utter madness. But hey, that's part of my life now :D I'll finis it, and odds I get my third are really low (I hope).

EDIT3:
After the traumatic events of fall 2020 the planning thread was abandoned, but I think we should revitalize it rather than clutter the "what's next" discussion over the watch threads. Here's a kick-off posting: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1872213#msg63933772
inimJul 25, 2021 3:36 AM

Jul 25, 2021 4:54 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both well, how's your holiday going @filifjonkan, do you have any plans to get away or see the grandchildren? Well the hot weather broke yesterday with heavy rain and a dash of lightning and thunder. @inim thanks for confirming about Perfect Blue, it's on my radar now so am going to try and watch it in the next couple of weeks.

I actually got some news yesterday that completely shell shocked me and I was too stunned to watch anything. Normally you can't mention these things until after 12 weeks, so my family doesn't even know yet (well i texted my brother), but we discovered that Em is pregnant yesterday, something that we didn't think possible for us after my health issues and approaching 40. So now my whole life view has been turned upside down in a day. We were quite happy with the idea of getting a puppy in the near future and seeing our sweet nephews and niece every now and then, but now it seems my new 'hobby' may be a lot more involved, although i was thinking of all the anime i can watch with them when they're growing up and that made me smile.

@inim wow one red star badge and nearly at 2 stars, that's a whole green sector above me and I'm on 5 star blue badge atm. Iirc you watched a bunch of shows to earn badges so kudos to you, you're in the top 2% of mal badge users. I keep meaning to watch certain shows that give you additional badges (Bible Black, Belladonna of Sadness etc) to increase my points and to vary the shows i watch.

Onto eps 3 & 4. Forgot to mention before, i love the new OP, best OP/ED of the franchise so far for me, although the S1 ED with the white flowers was good.

Episode 3 sees Hei meet back with Mao, who is now in the body of Suou's pet flying squirrel, and who appears to be working for Yin/Izunami. It seems Hei's bitterness at being abandoned by Yin has turned to hatred and he says that he will kill her when they next meet, is this merely his anger at his lonely position seeping through, or does he plan to kill her as she pleaded with him when they last spoke?

Hei and Suou, who is now a contractor, and an interesting addition in her own right with her huge rifle appearing as her power. Is Suou actually the girl (Izunami) they've been waiting to awaken, was Yin just the first stage or are they connected in some way?

We heard this S2 was messy in terms of the story and it is proving to be that way, but not to the detriment of the show. Who are the guys in the black suits, are they the remnants of the Syndicate, who were tasked with stopping Izunami and the prophecy? I think we saw the cute girl with glasses, who appears like a scientist (Youko Sawasaki) at the end of OVA2 when they captured Yin and placed her in the metal coffin. It says she's part of MIAC group but don't know who they are yet.

Episode 4 and we immediately learn who this group is, Section 3 and Kirihara is their new recruit and that is why they're after Hei, although they must know he's no longer part of the Syndicate, but maybe he's too dangerous to be left alive. Or he may lead them to Yin, don't they have Yin actually, or is that another group? Being confused is part of the course for this show.

So Hei is training Suou and they're being employed by an unknown agency, I assume on behalf of Yin/Izunami as Hei has broken from the CIA. Hei is being a bit of an arse but he's clearly been on a downward spiral since Yin left him alone and everyone else died at Hells Gate.

Wow Tokyo was wrecked after Hells Gate, but at least i wasn't completely blown away. I wonder has July left MI6 of he is tagging along so MI6 can track them?

An interesting start to the final season in keeping with the rest of the show, basically keeping us mostly in the dark, but letting slip a few answers here and there. So Kirihara is a virgin, it's surprising how many attractive older women (25-40) are portrayed as virgins in anime, apparently mirroring real life in Japan where modern women are more career focused and so get to later life having never experienced an intimate romantic experience.

Have a good Sunday.

Jul 25, 2021 7:29 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
we discovered that Em is pregnant yesterday, something that we didn't think possible
Heartfelt congratulations to mom & dad :D You now have a new meaning in life and unexpected new responsibility. I can hardly imagine the shell shock and how long it'll take for this great news to sink in. Enjoy your family phone calls lol. Being a 70s kid, my first dose of anime was Chiisana Viking Vickie (1974), followed by many more (see profile for a list). Th highlights were Maya the Bee and Heidi Girl of the Alps by my darling Takahata. This was all at kindergarten and early primary school age, so it's not too far in the future for you.
23feanor said:
one red star badge and nearly at 2 stars [...] I keep meaning to watch certain shows that give you additional badges (Bible Black, Belladonna of Sadness etc) to increase my points and to vary the shows i watch.
There are a lot of low hanging fruit for you in the buttons, "going green" could be a matter of days if you want and focus on it. To me the badges were always a motivation for a broad watching range, i.e. old and new, and genres I'd never watched without "needing to". There were many pleasant surprises along that path.
23feanor said:
Onto eps 3 & 4. [...] Mao, who is now in the body of Suou's pet flying squirrel, and who appears to be working for Yin/Izunami. It seems Hei's bitterness at being abandoned by Yin has turned to hatred and he says that he will kill her when they next meet, is this merely his anger at his lonely position seeping through, or does he plan to kill her as she pleaded with him when they last spoke?
That's a very good theory I didn't think of myself, thanks for sharing that thought. It makes a lot of sense that Yin is a god-level player now, at the end of OVA2 she literally talked to that golden spirit about intervention into the human world. She doesn't leave the impression of being evil with me, but she herself and others claim she is. Is there something like schizophrenia for divine entities?

As for Hei, I think you can check the "all of the above" box regarding his feelings and relation to Yin. Love and hate are proverbially close, and the major changes in his life won't make him more stable and relaxed either. Caring for Sou probably will help him to get back on track. And the encounter with Yin seems inevitable, albeit I'm afraid the writers will use that as a finale only - and keep us guessing until then.

Jul 25, 2021 2:42 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 5 For some reason, the overall vibes reminded me of Golden Kamuy this episode. A grumpy veteran soldier and a young girl with ass-kicking abilities bond over food. They really get close this episode, ready for the much needed teamwork. Seen that before, albeit Asirpa is a far better cook than Sou it seems. Sou finishes her training arc when Hei forces her to shoot a living being just because she can, a water bird, as a rite of passage. She does, and cries about her action afterwards. She still has emotions, but is starting to control them in the cold and rational manner contractors re expected to do.

In DTB's proven narrative style, the episode quickly jumps between arcs, at times connecting two of them casually. In this case, it turns out that the ex-wife of the transvestite landlord is part of the assault team to capture Hei and Sou. He introduces her as Michiru and shows a photo, so we could have noticed. In reality, there's far to much going on to get all those subtle details. Anyway, Hei distracts the attackers so that Sou, her British doll-boy and Mao can escape. Nice teamwork.

Meanwhile in Tokyo, Misaki learns about Izanami but we don't see a face or are given details. Now having watched OVA2 makes a difference, of course it's Yin in that tank. Misaki is tasked to move Izanami and decides to do it by ship in Sapporo. Hei intercepts the transport trucks in an ambush. I think that scene is cheesy by the show's otherwise high standards. A top-secret government agency transport fooled by firecrackers and sleeping gas? That's a bit naive and too easy, my suspension of disbelieve is seriously tested. In the show the ambush succeeds and Hei drives away with a truck carrying Yin, without knowing it. It seems my fear they keep the re-union for the very end was not justified. Good.

In the last cut, we get our usual cliff hanger. Sou sits on the waterfront of Sapporo, when suddenly a submarine emerges from the deep. Knock, knock, who's there?

Overall: The show is notoriously hard to summarize because everything is linked and one never knows what details matter. This is similar to the narrative style of Golden Kamuy - which I rated higher so revisiting my rating of DTB may be needed. In any case it's light years better than the wannabe-Tarantino narrative style of Baccano!, which falls flat trying to do what DTB achieves with ease. The show keeps getting better.

Jul 26, 2021 7:41 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Hope you're both well today. It's back to sunny skies and hot weather again, although not the excessive heat of last week.

@inim thanks very much, although we're still in very early days. We won't expect too much until we're past the 12 week mark. Until then we will pretty much keep the news to ourselves. But yes a huge shock that could completely change our lives. Fingers crossed.

Onto episode 5. This season is starting to pick up pace. It seems that either contractors in general are evolving or Suou is a special case as she retains some of her feelings and doesn't act logically. Mao also comes across a lot softer in this season, always the calming voice when Hei acts out and trying to get him to eat and drink less.

Hei seems to act more like a contractor than Suou and we see evidence that he really has lost his powers. I didn't know what had happened when he was caught by that machine and the meteor glass that Suou had on her somehow saved him. But it's clear that He's has been stripped of his powers. But not forgetting that Hei is fused with his sister, and he was essentially using her powers, which is why he didn't have a price (i also thought it was the eating but i think that may be due to his sister Pai also occupying his being, ie he's eating for 2, quite literally).

You're right, the show goes from strength to strength, you really feel that Hei is a lonely, wounded animal crying inside for Yin, Amber, Pai, anybody. Suou is the perfect companion and she is slowly but surely drawing out his humanity as you mention with the cooking routine.

I wonder if Yin is in contact with the oracle lady (Orielle?) and is issuing instructions through her and that is the employer of Hei, Maoa and Suou, as they aren't working for MI6, CIA or the syndicate anymore and Section 3 is after them, so they can't be the employers.

I wonder why July is tagging along with them? Does he have an attachment to them now that November and April are dead?

The additional story of the kid, the trans guy and their contractor mum is seamlessly woven into the plot for an added extra bit of tension.

Have a good evening.

Edit I thought that Section 3 tricked Hei and captured him in the back of the truck, or did Hei have an accomplice driving the truck with Yin in it that I didn't notice. I'm guessing that Yin may not even be in the truck and it was all a plot to draw out Hei/BK201.
23feanorJul 26, 2021 9:18 AM
Jul 26, 2021 3:50 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 6 it's half time in S2 and most of the theories and foreshadowing of the first half are made official. Yin alias Izanami ist he girl in Section 3's box, Hei lost hist powers, Madame Oreille paid Hei to kill Yin (he defects when learning it's Yin), and Misaki is told Section 3 is "not her ally" - so she's once again played by larger conspiracy forces. Basically, a normal Monday in the DTB world.

I'm really glad that Hei's far too easy "success" to kidnap Izanami/Yin was a trap/decoy. This series wouldn't have that sort of bad writing, how could I have doubted it. We rather get a scene in the Sapporo harbor with the submarine full of Section 3 agents, a lot of identical decoy trucks, and Sou shooting at Yin. Hei prevents the safe hit and the stray bullet wakes Yin. We know because her blue spirit form appears three times after that. First, she kills the transvestites' wife contractor by drowning her in a mid air water bubble. Then we see her chasing the submarine, and finally trying to touch Hei. Who can't see the spirit any more while Sou can, and she displays a new emotion: jealousy and envy. Cat fight for womanizer and harem king Hei reloaded, loli edition. Hei even stops drinking because of Yin's return, and his fatherly relation to Sou grows.

Overall a solid episode which finishes the exposition I'd say. The truck with the shit is on it's way to the fan again. Can't wait for it to unload.

Jul 27, 2021 7:15 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Episode 6. @inim you're right, a halfway mid season finale and the plot threads come together. It was a decoy and Hei, who everyone is now aware has lost his powers, has to fight, well flee, from the trap section 3 set for him. Kirihara knows Hei's style all too well and set the decoy up to capture him, but her subordinate wanting only to kill Hei messes the plan up and Hei escapes.

The last thing we hear Hei say about Yin is that he will kill her. I'm assuming Mao doesn't know what happened between the two of them after Hells Gate or that Yin has 'awakened' and has a doppelgänger spectre that is and isn't Yin, and may be Izunami. My guess is that Hei will kill Yin because she asked him to, just before she completely awakened and became Izunami. But when it comes down to it and Hei learns the target is Yin he stops the mission, maybe he wants to confront or speak to her one last time, or feels that he has to be the one to end her life?

Either way learning that Yin is in front of him gives him purpose and he begins the next step of cleaning his act up. Hei and Suou start getting closer and we even have a few lines from July, who is like an ever present ghost.

I wondered at the warning that Kirihara got "we aren't your ally"? I wonder why Sawasaki said that, are they only using her to get close to Hei, why though now he's lost his contractor powers? Kirihara knows she was brought on board to capture Hei, that isn't news to her, maybe it's just a general warning that she's stuck in the middle of secretive agencies warring against each other, again.

I'm interested to see how this decent-so-far franchise, an anime original, sticks it's final landing? I'm guessing we'll still have a bunch of questions, but how will things end for the main characters we've got to know, that are still left standing anyway (Hei, Mao, Yin, July, Kirihara, Suou).

Have a good evening
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
The last thing we hear Hei say about Yin is that he will kill her. I'm assuming Mao doesn't know what happened between the two of them after Hells Gate or that Yin has 'awakened' and has a doppelgänger spectre that is and isn't Yin, and may be Izunami. My guess is that Hei will kill Yin because she asked him to, just before she completely awakened and became Izunami. But when it comes down to it and Hei learns the target is Yin he stops the mission, maybe he wants to confront or speak to her one last time, or feels that he has to be the one to end her life?
Good theorizing as usual. The question I ask myself if she can still be killed at all, i.e. if destroying her human body will have any effect on the specter / Izunami. And we still do not know who that golden spirit is, maybe that one is Izunami and the blue one is one of the usual DTB detractions. We have seen both in OVA2, and it that finale the golden one was talking to Yin somewhere in limbo in a friendly, patient way.

There's also the parallel between the two Russian siblings and Hei/Hei's sister. Two sibling couples separated and both turned contractors. The classic Yin-Yang sibling trope is strong in that one, I wouldn't even exclude that Hei is the villain and he just doesn't know yet. Those writers really know how to confuse :)

Jul 28, 2021 5:55 AM

Jun 2019
Hello,

@inim My guess is that Yin thought Hei had the capability to kill her with his powers, at the point when she asked him to kill her as she was in the process of transforming. But now she's fully transformed i have no idea if she's become immortal.

Based on what we know so far I think the human doll is Yin (the original Kirsi), the blue spectre is the evolving form of Yin and the golden spirit is Izunami. The blue spectre, the one that was killing contractors who threatened Hei or Yin and that could appear just like Yin in the flesh, managed to mislead Hei for a while, but she did seem emotional, especially concerning Hei, wanting to be held and hold hands. I think this is the evolving form of a doll and the emotions are starting to develop.

Do you remember someone (one of the MI6 agents when they were about to die iirc) said that contractors were failed dolls and dolls were the initial stage and needed time to emerge into their final form, but enough time hasn't passed for this to happen before and so people are only witnessing this happen now. So is Yin recovering her emotions, or some of them, bit by bit, as she develops. Of course she's also 'awakening' as Izunami so it's hard to tell what is her evolving as a doll and what is part of her awakening, or if they are intertwined?

I hadn't noticed that about the 2 sets of siblings and the similarities, likely as we haven't seen or heard from Shion since he and his sister fled Vladivostok.

Onto episode 7. So the story starts picking up pace and is on the move back to Tokyo and Hells Gate. We learn the Dr (Shion and Suou's dad) is still alive and in the final scene of the ep we see him with Shion, unless that was a flashback but I don't think so. Don't Shion and Suou have a mum in Tokyo, Suou mentioned their mum writing a new book, so i assumed she was still alive, but they haven't mentioned her since? As Suou is now a contractor, maybe she wouldn't have thought of fleeing to Tokyo and her mum the instant she left her home after her fathers murder.

July was the focus of this episode and it seems, even in a small way, he is growing and demonstrating emotion, pain and the desire to seek warmth and avoid the extreme cold like snow and ice. That weird guy was a nasty piece of work, they were lucky Hei found them when he did.

Btw we're off on our annual boat holiday Saturday 7th August until Sunday 15th August, so maybe we could start our next show upon my return (Monday 16th August) if that's ok with you both? Of the shows listed in our discussion on the Interest Thread the other day (very useful thanks @inim), the ones that pique my interest most are; Macross, Silver Spoon, Kobato, Durarara & Noein. We've got a while before we have to choose anyway.

Have a good day.
Jul 29, 2021 8:02 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

Episode 8 and we actually get a slightly slower episode more like S1 with the action slowing down on the train. Even though Hei is no longer a contractor (it doesn't seem like this is not common news yet as the major treats Hei like a logical contractor still, Section 3 must've kept that development to themselves) he is still able to get shit done and go up against contractors. Is he still wearing his bullet proof black coat underneath, if not how does he survive all the bullets, plot armour?

Suou was right, she didn't shoot Tayna, it was her brother and dad, who from a distance thought they were saving her i suppose.

I wonder what this Orielle woman is up to, she said something about 'future memory' to Kirihara and it sounded like she was describing herself. What will Kirihara find on that recording?

Have a good evening.
Jul 29, 2021 12:58 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 7 Kicks off with a meeting of FSB agents discussing the death of Sou's dad, Dr. Pavlichenko. He was photographed alive and well in Tokyo, while the memory scan of his dead body only contained the single last day before his alleged death. Say hello to a new mystery. In Misaki's arc she meets her colleague from section 3, Genma Shizume, in a secret place, where he open to her. He tells her she's constantly observed and may be just played for fool to lead them to Hei. He claims to be fed up of S3 and invites her to collaborate on the internal revolution in Japan's police and intelligence community.

The main story is about July, Sou's British doll boy. Hei and his group make a deal with organized crime to smuggle them out of Sapporo, which is under high security alert in the attempt to find them. They choose to fake selling July to the mob to get past police checkpoints on the highways out of the city. Which succeeds, but then a sadistic Russian contractor manages to kidnap Sou, July and Mao. Before he can execute his psychopath style dismemberment murder fantasies on them, Hei comes to the rescue and defeats the kidnapper despite his lack of contractor power. Chinese Batman, minus the Electric now. In the obligatory final cliffhanger scene, they manage to escape the city - while the FSB is secretly watching the scene.

The main character clearly is July in this episode. He also is portrayed to develop emotions and his own will, just like the early stages of Yin's awakening. Sou also develops an affection for him. The team around Hei now has the same type of members as S1's: Hei (human intelligence contact to whomever he serves), a contractor (Sou), an awakening doll (July), and Mao - half contractor half comic relief. The episode was an average one, mainly another "getting from A to B" on their way to Tokyo and by that Hell's gate.

@23feanor Enjoy your boat holiday, and be assured I envy you. I'm fine with either of "Macross, Silver Spoon, Kobato, Durarara & Noein", @filifjonkan will have the final say I guess.

Jul 29, 2021 1:53 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 8 This is the FSB's and Tanya's episode. They completely control the train Hei & gang use to travel towards Tokyo. Their boss confronts Hei with a job offer, but he refuses. Tanya is in charge of kidnapping Suou for the FSB. While she functions in her job, she looks depressed and hesitant often, haunted by pre-contactor memories. Suou on the contrary seems to be full of emotions and human traits, she is forgiving Tanya and even hugs her to cheer her up. Eventually the train (using Tanya's powers) is stopped but Hei & gang can escape. Hei defeats the FSB boss, and Suou escapes Tanya. Completing the childhood flashback starting the episode, in full Chekov's Gun manner the pool and diving scene plays out again, dragging depressed Tanya even more down. She summons her insects for the kill when Suou transforms, aims to snipe her, but isn't able to kill. Tanya is shot nevertheless, and we learn that the shooter is Suou's lost twin Shion accompanied by their allegedly dead dad. He uses a sniper rifle that looks like hers, but it's not clear if it is a regular one or also a magic version.

More action driven road trip in this episode, which clearly is Tanya's redemption arc. I think the episode title and theme "short summer in Russia" is an allegory of her short lived career as contractor. She pretty much failed to let go her human side, but also failed to keep parts of it like Suou. She's sort of the negative option where the emotions she kept were negative and sad, whereas Suou kept forgiveness, love and empathy.

The mystery reveal of the day is that both Misaki and Hei learn (from different sources) about Yin / Izami's ability to kill contractors én mass, as showcased in her escape from the EPR camp.

Jul 29, 2021 3:51 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 9 Suou, Mao and July arrive in Tokyo, the girl very sick from the cold she caught in the pool event. Of all people, she meets Kiko "Pink Girl" Kayanuma, the female half of the comedic relief private eye duo. She hires the two to find her mother, who Suou thinks lives in Tokyo. The ever mysterious Madame Oreille briefs Suou about the plane her mom will be on and arrive soon after.

Hei in arrived in Tokyo independently and also is at the airport in a private mission. Which makes me wonder why the writers separated the Hei / Suou group first hand to reunite them in the same place again later onlya few minutes of runtime. He kidnaps Yoko of section 3, and Mina (the dark haired katana wielding section 3 member, and presumably lesbian lover of Yoko) chases him in fury. Once more Hei's plot armor is strong and he defeats S3's contractors with ease. He escapes into the night, carrying kidnapped Yoko.

Meanwhile Suo and her mom tearfully reunite. Mom calls her Shion, and when Suou tells her she's not her brother, her mom explains that Suou died 8 years ago in the meteorite crash on their home.

Misaki meanwhile does her research homework, guided by the ghost of reverse-time contractor Amber, the "memory of the future". Nice time travel twist, DTB writers, I haven't seen that twist before. Misaki eventually gets her hand on a copy of the Mikita Documents aka the Prophecy. She learns that "Izanami will eventually meet Izanagi, at which point Hell's Gate will open". It's hinted that Izanagi is either Shion or Suou, whom we really no longer know is actually wht we think she is anyway.

Overall, more running around and few mysteries old and new. I ate to say it, but the last 3 episodes were "not mysterious enough" compared to the previous narration of the show. I think some good share of the plot could have been streamlined, we really don't need to know about the fate of each and every secondary cast contractor. Hei in shiny plot armor kills them all, yea. The Pavlichenko family are now all in Tokyo or near, so let the family reunion begin. And send in Yin please, she#s missed.

Jul 30, 2021 9:17 AM

Jun 2019
Hello,

Episode 9 and I was wondering who this Izunagi was until Kirihara explained the situation upon reading the Mitaka documents. So we've got two people named in the prophecy, Izunami and Izunagi and when they meet Hells Gate will open.

I wonder at Suou's mum's statement that Suou was dead. After the meteor crash Shion was kept hidden in the house where no one could see but Suou was at school and interacting with people, so i don't think she's some contractor ghost, but wonder if the dad told the mum that the wrong twin "died" or kept Shion's evolution into a contractor a secret, maybe due to the fact she works for/with Section 3 as she's been keeping a photo record of the Gate, just a guess at this stage.

I liked the re-introduction of the comedic relief in this episode, the private detective and his assistant.

@inim you're right i don't know why Suou, Mao and July were separated from Hei coming into Tokyo, but we'll find out soon. Maybe they needed Suou to find her mum and uncover the past about her and her brother and their dad maybe? Then Hei is on an unknown mission, Yoko isn't a contractor, but a scientist but seems to be trusted with top level intelligence by section 3, who probably knows the location of Yin/Izunami and hence why she was targeted by Hei. I thought that the katana lady had to kiss someone as her price, but prefers ladies to men which is why she kissed Yoko to wipe away the memory of having kissed the other guy. She does appear to have strong feelings of attachment for Yoko, another example of a contractor being emotional.

I agree the last few eps have been more on adventure and less mystery, getting from Hokkaido to Tokyo in ingenious ways and overcoming all the obstacles on the way. Everything's drawing together for the final arc.

Have a good evening.
Jul 30, 2021 4:41 PM

Apr 2019
Episode 10 is Suou's backstory, and expected after the cliffhanger. After her mom rejected her on the airport taxi because she is 100% certain the real Suou is dead, because she in person carried her corpse and had it cremated. Suou tries to bond by asking her about a vivid childhood memory she has from an aquarium visit, but her mom says it never happened. We later learn the location was already closed when the memory allegedly took place. So it's true: Suou is not a real human, she is the copy of a dead girl - officially now.

We get the full backstory in an exposition dump from her mom. It's setup is a little bit clumsy and has a few coincidences too much, but is pretty efficient in moving the story. So: Misaki finds Suou and July sleeping by pure chance, takes them with her to her home (no waking up kids of course), feeds them. She then visits Suous mom and she dumps the backstory standing in the door, while unbeknownst Suou listens. It also turns out Mao and mom knew each other from the time before the twins were born in Japan, later when they were small in Moscow, and Mao was present the day Suou died. It's complicated, but in a nutshell her dad, Dr. Pavlichenko did contractor research for the Syndicate and accidentally killed her in an explosion. Then he tried to Dr-Frankenstein her, but mom was not amused and left him with the corpse. Shion the little devil as it turns out, used his contractor ability to create the clone who stayed in Russia. Poor girl never was told the truth.

The exposition dump is over when Chinese Batman coincidentally (way too many of that in this episode) crosses the way of the Misaki / Suou / Mao / July group, defeating Misaki and taking the kids.

In another arc Mina (the katana lesbian) finds the tortured corpse of her love Yoko, whom Hei had abducted. She confirms the yuri with a last kiss (literally licking blood) and swears to kill Hei. Who probably wasn't the murder but Madame Oreille, who was near the hostage hideout (more coincidences). She seems to operate a vast doll network or similar, and we once more see dolls in tanks used as "radar" by section 3. Madame Oreille's mysterious twin girls are obviously powerful dolls who can interfere with the doll spirits and blind them partly.

And finally: Yin is back with a vengeance, and she brings the moon with her. Nice scene where a kid born after the South America incident asks his mom what that is, never having seen a moon before. Funny. The cliffhanger shows Yin in what I'd describe as her god form, with flaming hair and a mysterious smile. Armageddon maiden reporting in.

Overall a good episode, despite the clumsy writing for the exposition dump. They only have 20 mins, and the content was complex and interesting. Suou and Yin are in place, let Ragnarok begin. The stone monster in the last scene of the preview segment doesn't look very human ...
inimJul 31, 2021 5:01 AM

Aug 1, 2021 6:33 AM

Apr 2019
Episode 11 Hei leaves the group's hideout to find and kill Izanami, alone. Suou and the remaining group head for the aquarium and find Dr. Pavlichenko there. He learns that Suou's mom revealed the truth about her "copy" status, confirms it and gives additional details about mainly Shion. He was born a Contractor, a unique occurrence according to Mao, and that the meteorite incident was just one of the many fake memories he created for his cloned sister. So he joins the ranks of special characters with a role in the prophecy , who are:

Gang of Five Demi-Gods:
Yin = Izanami = First doll to awaken and develop own will and emotions.
Shion = Izanagi = Only contractor to be born as one, powerful enough to literally reset the world.
Suou = Izanagi's attempt in creating a human. Due to her nature as imperfect copy, she didn't lose her emotions when becoming a contractor.
Juli = Second doll to develop own will and emotions, mirrors Yin in his unfolding relation with Suou (who mirrors Hei).
Hei = Human but "possessed" by the contractor spirit of his sister. His love to Yin changes the world. Doubles as Jesus-kun who suffers for us.

The Prophet:
Amber = First ever contractor, and living reverse in time. Author of the prophecy aka "Files of the Future", and as such aware of Yin and Hei's special role.

The Man:
Misaki, Mao, Oreille = "The system" of control man made, in different shades of gray. They are "the man".

Anyway. In E11's plot Dr. Pavlichenko is killed, Misaki and Madam Oreille team up, Genma is revealed as a double agent of the USA (who also invade Tokyo to make sure they get the powerful contractors and artifacts). It's interesting to see the USA in a role which is both villain and protector, as a fellow German Axis Power national, I understand self-contradictory mixed emotion stance well and have seen it in multiple anime. It's unusually clear in this one, though, for a mainstream production. See Angel Cop for unveiled anti-Americanism and hatred.

In the last scenes Hei finds Yin's empty containment and Suou finds her unconscious brother.

Aug 1, 2021 8:42 AM

Apr 2019
I've watched the final episode twice straight in a row, and on 2nd viewing it is pretty clear. I'll be lazy in this posting and just copy-pasta the summary from fandom.com. I simply counldn't improve that, I rather will add a few own thoughts on top. Finally, I looked for youtube reviews and find those two to be useful.

https://youtu.be/rFptbNavRDw
https://youtu.be/U2vAcyX9di8

And in my endless quest to better understand tropes, DTB-S2 is very rich in this area.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarkerThanBlack/SeasonTwoTropes
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarkerThanBlack/SeasonTwoSpoilers

Overall, this is a solid 7/10. I'd like to give the whole franchise a 7.5/10, so I promoted S1 to an 8/10 in my proven averages technique. Tag notes: S2 of Darker Than Black isn't episodic, replaces most of the cast, is darker and more action driven. Which isn't bad because execution remains solid. The season concludes Hei and Yin's arcs, but not that of their world itself. Different but equal to S1. (7/10)

Aug 1, 2021 10:27 AM
Dec 2018
Hello and greetings from Sweden..

I hope you are doing all right: I am in a pretty good shape, having a four-week vacation is very good for your well-being.

I am honored to say what shows would be for the next watch. I have already watched "Silver Spoon", one of those healing SOL-animes, which I enjoyed immensely.

I am up for any of the other shows, but Durarara and Noein seemed most interesting, for some reason.

Have a nice week!
Aug 1, 2021 10:55 AM

Jun 2019
Hello,

@inim I spent with the weekend with my brother and nephew so will catch up with the remainder of S2 tomorrow and post my conclusion then, looking forward to seeing how it all ends and reading your thoughts.

@filifjonkan my pick out of the shows to watch we've short listed would be Macross first or Kobato second, but am easy watching any of them, hence why they're in our short list. We've got a while to decide anyway. Out of Durarara and Noein, I'm edging towards Noein but have wanted to check out Durarara for a while, it's a gang related show iirc.

Till tomorrow
23feanorAug 1, 2021 11:00 AM
Aug 2, 2021 5:41 AM

Jun 2019
Greetings,

So I've just finished the last 3 episodes and that was a decent ending, it didn't rise to quite the thrilling, tense ending of S1, but I felt it was more satisfying.

So what i got at the end was that Shion created another version of the world, he basically copied the world, that was his wish, that his sister would have a life somewhere and the gate helped him fulfil his wish. And Izunami had been collecting the souls of the contractors and this is supposition, but did she also send them to this world to live? That was the inference that i had. The world of the contractors was separated from this world, although another Gate had apparently opened, so i guess there will be more contractors and dolls.

I assume that Hei and Yin also went to this world.

Did we see whether Mina beat Genma, who it turned out was the killer of Yoko?

Misaki looked great at the end there in her long coat and cool cap.

reading your comments I see that Yin had died, I guessed that her and Hei were taken to the new Earth, but clearly not. Yin's wish was to die apparently, i thought it would've been to live with Hei as his wife, like they did in the OVA.

@inim Interesting thoughts about the cycle of rebirth and creation compared to a Western style theme of rebirth through death. Here we have the Asian theme of destruction giving way to new life and creation. Hadn't looked at it from that angle, but you're spot on. Hei didn't seem to have any other wish than seeing his sister Pai, which he achieved at the end of S1, she's with him always. Since then it seemed that Yin became his reason for living, her protection and company.

The writers probably couldn't think of what Hei would want for himself once Yin had passed away, I can't, he never opens up to anyone about his desires or thoughts but what they have to do on whatever mission they are on, he's a professional to the core. That one evening with Misaki was the only time he seemed relaxed, but he was in character then on a mission. Although the show played up Amber as his possible love interest in S1, he demonstrated much more empathy and emotion towards Yin, making me think he really did have feelings, including romantic ones, towards Yin. Although having the 2 of them on the run toegther would create strong bonds that would blur the lines between comrades, survivors, friends and lovers.

The American acting as the aggressor is an interesting twist. The USA got bored of playing nice with other nations through Pandora and decided to take control of Hells Gate. I wonder where the new Gate is and whether it was all for nothing taking over Tokyo and Japan?

No idea about the blue haired kid that looked a bit like Yin. Was it supposed to be offspring of Izunami (Yin) and Izunagi (Shion), as i thought it looked more like a mix of Yin and Hei, who did have the power to change matter as his power and with his star shining brightly may have got his powers back.

I scored this season a high 8/10.

@filifjonkan @inim after watching some trailers for Durarara and Noein I think we should go with Durarara. Noein looks interesting but has a mystery time travelling vibe, a bit too similar to DtB, so Durarara would be a nice change of pace. Plus it's been in my ptw list for a while and a few people have recommended it over the years. Is that ok with you both? Is a start date of Monday 16th August good for you, when I'm back from our boat?

This DtB watch of both seasons and OVA's has been really fun, diving in and consuming the whole franchise, so thank you both for your thoughts and input, most appreciated :D

Have a good evening.
23feanorAug 2, 2021 6:06 AM
Aug 2, 2021 7:15 AM

Apr 2019
@23feanor

> Did we see whether Mina beat Genma, who it turned out was the killer of Yoko?

We did see dead Genma with Mina's katana in his head in one of the quick cuts at during the end credits. He's dead but was in his stone man form, so it wasn't instantly recognizable. What we didn't see is what happened to Mina herself.

> No idea about the blue haired kid that looked a bit like Yin.
I think the hair was silver and not blue, and he also had Yin's pink eyes. He killed onctractors like Izunami, so my theory is he's the the new hull Izunami picked, Yin 2.0 so to say.

> This DtB watch of both seasons and OVA's has been really fun, diving in and consuming the whole franchise, so thank you both for your thoughts and input, most appreciated :D

+1, your comments are very interesting as well :)

> Durarara and Noein I think we should go with Durarara
Sure, both are on my PTW forever and we can do them in either order. So Durarara is it I think.
inimAug 2, 2021 7:20 AM

Aug 2, 2021 8:49 AM
Dec 2018
Hello guys!

I have watched the whole second season and the OVA:s as well. I don't feel like I have anything to add to your thoughts. Thanks for your thoughts and reflections on this series!

Also, I am fine with watching Durarara. I have seen the first four, five episodes already. We can start watching on Monday 16 August.

Have a nice evening

/Fili
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2869 by pludel2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Apr 2

34 by 23feanor »»
3 hours ago

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

5 by Angus »»
Apr 14, 2:05 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

832 by Anim3Punk »»
Apr 10, 6:39 PM

» Lupin III: Part 5 (2018) - March 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Mar 8

49 by 23feanor »»
Apr 3, 2:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.