Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2021 11:07 AM
Jan 2021
Taiga has 20,000+ favourites but I couldn’t stand her hitting Ryuji all the time, even after he fed her, and damn near rejoiced whenever she despaired; to those that like her, why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 19, 2021 11:15 AM
Sep 2015
The fax she is best girl.

Seriously, Taiga is definitely an annoying tsundere but this kind of archetype can be funny sometimes, she has an interesting development and the close ending helps liking her.
Jun 19, 2021 11:20 AM
Jan 2021
Absolutely nothing.
Jun 19, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2021
I mean some people just like that kind of character and personally I like the voice actor that did taiga.
Jun 19, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2021
Also the dub makes her more likable.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 19, 2021 11:27 AM
Dec 2020
I don't like her simply I hate tsudere's but a few of them are good and likeable.
Jun 19, 2021 11:28 AM

Oct 2020
i love tsunderes but taiga was annoying af. my boy chose the wrong tsundere.

Jun 19, 2021 11:31 AM

May 2021
I like her character.
Despite what most people say, she is independent. Her parents left her at a young age and ever since then she had to take care of herself and live by herself. If you were in her situation, of course you would take advantage of the opportunity to be getting a normal home life. She also changes. Though she acts tough on the outside, deep down she is a sweet girl who wants to be loved.
The hitting, that’s just most tsunderes. It’s anime, things are exaggerated.
Jun 19, 2021 11:34 AM
Aug 2020
I really hate tsunderes but taigas development in the last few ep were amazing. Even if many people don’t understand her as a character. The reason why she is a great character is because of how she slowly realizes how much she loves Ryuji.
_Mav_Jun 19, 2021 12:21 PM
Jun 19, 2021 11:40 AM

Jun 2015
I personally prefer Minori and shipped her and Ryuuji, when I was first watching this, but I can try to give a legit explanation. At first I didn’t like her character or think she was anything special even within the show itself, but after finishing the show I appreciated her development.

Taiga is a cute, attractive character and some viewers will tell you that the tsundere archetype makes her more desirable and fun as a character. The fact she is relatable to Ryuuji in how they are seen in public as well as having a difficult home life, with her having grown up with her father divorce her mother and date someone significantly younger than him and creating an even further unbearable, emotionally taxing living situation makes you feel for her and maybe feel relatable to yourself too if you’ve grown up in a similar condition.

Like most shows (I’m thinking romance anime, sitcoms, and even some romance films), Toradora! has two characters that butt heads with each other and seem to possess little to no chemistry and by the end of it will likely have the viewer invested in seeing those two get together and know if the show gears towards them doing so. It’s formulaic but it works. Toradora! is a popular show and is probably a lot of people’s first anime or more likely their first school, slice-of-life, and/or romance anime. The show itself has good pacing from what I remember and has solid acts within its airing (I recall even the typical/generic beach episode being a strong turning point for our characters and shifting certain dynamics). So I’d argue it’s real easy getting attached to the story and the characters involved.
Jun 19, 2021 11:41 AM

Feb 2021
She slowly develops over the series and gets more and more likeable as the series progresses.

Protect the smile!

Jun 19, 2021 11:43 AM
Nov 2020
Honestly it’s just because while she’s not for everyone she reminds me a lot of people I know and care about also she’s just funny at times idk I just like her
Jun 19, 2021 12:52 PM
Mar 2021
bc of the fact shes tsundere, probably one of the most popular character tropes.
Jun 19, 2021 12:56 PM
May 2021
She is a tsundere and thats about it. Its all thats needed to be a fan favorite. Personally my favorite was Ami but she deserved better than what she was wanting. You don’t get alot of Ami in anime or at least not in female characters.
Jun 19, 2021 12:58 PM
Apr 2021
I dont really like her she seems like a pain in the ass to get to know but i guess thats what people like
6/10 for me
Jun 19, 2021 1:23 PM

Feb 2020
Pettan tsundere.
Jun 19, 2021 1:27 PM

Oct 2015
I think people like the trope of the two main characters falling in love. They are the ones you spend the most time with after all. She's also the most tolerable of the Rie Kugimiya tsunderes I've seen by far. I still absolutely adore Minori and Ami and think a relationship between either of them would be much better for Ryuji than Taiga.
Jun 19, 2021 1:32 PM

Aug 2020
Nothing. She's one of the most annoying tsunderes I know.
Jun 19, 2021 1:34 PM
Feb 2021
Nothing she’s a bad character
Jun 19, 2021 1:50 PM
Feb 2021
In any other show Taiga's character would not be as appealing to me as it is in Toradora. But Taiga just fits in so well with the story around her that she's just so cute! How can you not love the palm top tiger.
Jun 19, 2021 1:54 PM

May 2020
Apart from her tsundere behavior, what was really worth noticing in her.
Jun 19, 2021 2:33 PM

Aug 2018
I don't like her at all. people are saying "she's like that because she's a tsundere" no she's just a bitch. Makise Kurisu is also a tsundere but her and taiga are nothing alike. Taiga is just a trash human being.
Jun 19, 2021 3:53 PM
Mar 2021
Its just the Tsundere character taht i realy love, I think she has so many fav's cause of her being cute and a tsundere (thats also my reason #1 Tsundere)
Jun 19, 2021 3:58 PM

Sep 2018
She is loyal. She really cares about Ryuji and saved him. She is cute. She is pretty funny.
Jun 19, 2021 4:04 PM
Dec 2019
Well, she's one of the few tsunderes that aren't only tsunderes
Jun 19, 2021 4:35 PM
Jan 2018
Taiga is a tragic character. Her parents were absent, and when they were around they fought, she finally decided to give them the finger and left which made her self isolate, she has a complex about her size and lashes out to make up for her poor stature, she constantly lashes out in order to feel in control because in all reality she's just a kid on a leash, She doesn't have any real control over her life because her father who she hates calls all the shots, multiple times her friends turn on her to side with her father because they don't know how awful he is and they think it will make her happier but it always makes things even worse.

Things dont go right at all for taiga so to see her genuinely become happier throughout the story is very heartwarmimg to me. Also toradora has a 10/10 ending, dont @ me.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Jun 19, 2021 4:49 PM
Nov 2020
I think she's a unique tsundere and if you like tsunderes you'll probably like her or vice versa. She's a really hard tsundere. She starts way too cold even nearly hating everyone but when she finds the right person she slowly softens through him but still act tough around other. I think I like her because seeing really cold and scary people's soft sides are pretty interesting and attractive.
Jun 19, 2021 6:25 PM

May 2021
I don't know why the hack you guys like taiga.
For me she's a annoying little brat.
Jun 19, 2021 6:58 PM
Feb 2021
She’s a difficult girl but she’s amazing. Really big heart but she’s afraid to show it. It’s like a brute diamond who needed someone to show her how good she actually was and she got that person. That’s what makes this anime so amazing, her journey and growth as a character.
Jun 19, 2021 9:18 PM

Nov 2020
I like tsunderes but she ain't one of 'em...
There's absolutely nothing likable about her...
Jun 19, 2021 9:19 PM

Dec 2020
there is nothing likeable about her
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 20, 2021 12:50 AM

Jan 2021
Honestly, you could say the same thing about Chitoge from Nisekoi or Kaga from Golden Time. I hate both of those characters (especially Kaga), but somehow I’m still a big fan of Taiga’s (maybe because Toradora was the first rom-com I watched). I personally found her tsundere trope funny, her chemistry with Ryuji was better than the other girls (I could see Ami being better in that aspect kind of), and finally her history with her family is honestly depressing, somebody of her mental fortitude having to live alone.

She’s definitely in my top 3 tsunderes lol
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Jun 20, 2021 2:30 AM
Jan 2021
Sharmat_00 said:
Taiga is a tragic character. Her parents were absent, and when they were around they fought, she finally decided to give them the finger and left which made her self isolate, she has a complex about her size and lashes out to make up for her poor stature, she constantly lashes out in order to feel in control because in all reality she's just a kid on a leash, She doesn't have any real control over her life because her father who she hates calls all the shots, multiple times her friends turn on her to side with her father because they don't know how awful he is and they think it will make her happier but it always makes things even worse.

Things dont go right at all for taiga so to see her genuinely become happier throughout the story is very heartwarmimg to me. Also toradora has a 10/10 ending, dont @ me.
To be honest, when the audience was supposed to feel sympathy for Taiga, I couldn’t bring myself to feel bad for her. I found her far too insufferable to sympathise with her.
Jun 20, 2021 5:32 AM

Oct 2020
Taiga is the poster girl for the tsundere archetype in my opinion. This type of characters are really fun to watch to me, they can bring a lot of comedic relief through their antics. Also, while exaggerated, girls (and not only) acting like that to a certain extent exist in real life too. I could actually sympathize with Taiga a lot as I was kinda similar to her when I was in high school. Not necessarily hitting my crush, but putting on an aggressive, cold and intimidating front to mask my own insecurities. I'm sure many people that like her could relate to her to a certain degree.
Jun 20, 2021 9:48 AM
Apr 2018
She was just an annoying ass bitch period. “It’s cuz she was a tsundere”, no stfu you neck beard. There are so many other tsunderes out there that are likeable but she is just not.
Jun 20, 2021 10:48 AM

Dec 2020
The kinds of characters you like obviously will have a sort of relation to your personality, so the question becomes, what about the character appeals to your personality?

For me, I'm pretty goal-oriented with everything, always enjoy things most when there is an "end-goal" of sorts. With Taiga, I could care less what her behavior on the outside is, it's clear early on that she cares for Ryuuji, and having Taiga open up becomes a sort of "goal" to chase after. That and I love characters that you feel a bit sorry for; pity-love? Regardless of how she is on the outside, it's pretty clear she has struggles, and Ryuuji being someone to help her with those struggles is very enjoyable.

Basically the violent nature or whatever completely crosses my mind and instead I just see a rather sensitive character who could use a hand; an archetype that meshes well with my tastes
Jun 20, 2021 6:01 PM
May 2021
Her character development and also how she doesn’t push herself on rjyu because she knows her friend likes him, simply setting her friends feelings before her own.
Jun 20, 2021 7:32 PM
Feb 2021
This may sound like a rant, but I don't get how people are OK with anime Girls abusing guys. It's honestly a really Disgusting Idea to me. Now imagine if there was a style of anime boys that abused And beat up girls (possibly to the point where they would bleed)? Yea Even the thought of that is disgusting to me, But Girls doing that to guys is supposedly OK. So if your into that kinda thing, Taiga Will be right up your alley. But if you think girls Beating up guys is a Terrible, vile thing (How Could You, It's So Funny!!) then you won't come to like her.
Jun 20, 2021 7:39 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I actually really enjoyed it a couple years back when I watched it. But that was when I had barely watched any anime... if I re-watch it again now I think I would be super annoyed lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 20, 2021 8:02 PM
Aug 2017
I think what's likeable about her is how it's obvious her violent tendencies are more of a farce than anything else; just trying to cover up whatever else she is feeling that she thinks needs to be hidden. Imo, that concept lets me appreciate the other parts of her character freely, like how determined she is to accomplish her goals.
Jun 21, 2021 4:32 AM
Apr 2021
I like Taiga cuz she is a klutz.She will depend on someone and she is cute.I don't care about the small details xD
Jun 21, 2021 4:53 AM

May 2021
I also disliked her through most of the series. The tsundere in her was too strong.
Jun 21, 2021 5:09 AM

Oct 2020
SHE IS A CUTE TSUNDERE HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE LIKEABLE PART ABOUT HER?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2021 10:50 AM
Jan 2021
hardly anything honestly
Jun 21, 2021 10:55 AM

Nov 2020
Im a tsun simp so im probably biased, but she's so innocent behind her abusive side its a nice trait. Ami still best girl tho.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2021 11:19 AM

Feb 2010
Her character is complex and much more well thought out than your "tsundere." archetype.

Let's put this into perspective. Her first appearance seems to be the "typical tsundere," but then as the series progress, you learn about both her and Ryuji's situations.

Taiga's family mostly abandoned her, especially her father caring more about their work than spending time with their own child. The only thing they provided was money. This creates insecurity because she has no one to teach her how to cook or clean or show her genuine care. She a victim of a bad marriage. Which soured her world views made her more aggressive and defensive for what little self-esteem she felt she had left. Love is not something Taiga has really experienced. Most people who grow up dealing with devoicing at an early age often try to push others away.

Her parents hate each other any time they choose to spend time with Taiga. It's always for themselves and never for her. the only person she had to lean on was Minori, but that was not a healthy relationship Ryuji gave to her. Minori would in contrast let Taiga go unchallenged, acting more like a sister who would spoiler their younger sister without discipline.
The first time she someone confessed their love to her, she ran away out of fear of that kind of relationship due to her family history.

It's only when Ruyji enters the picture, who had a similar damaged family yet still had someone who cared and loved him, that he could come to relate with Taiga and also act like someone who mellowed her out later. At the same time, Taiga gave Ryuji the courage to stand up for himself.

Through the series, they develop and evolve while not wholly losing all their personalities they mature as the series progresses. Nether becomes a perfect idealistic human being, but that makes it all the more relatable and enjoyable.

It always bewilders me that people who hate on the series seem to have a strange dislike of character development. They seem to think a character should be perfect from start to finish.

Flawed characters are more enjoyable to me for the simple fact that their flaws only make their virtues all the greater.
GrimAtramentJun 21, 2021 11:33 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 21, 2021 11:29 AM

Feb 2017
hazarddex said:
Her character is complex and much more well thought out than your "tsundere." archetype.

Let's put this into perspective. Her first appearance seems to be the "typical tsundere," but then as the series progress, you learn about both her and Ryuji's situations.

Taiga's family mostly abandoned her, especially her father caring more about their work than spending time with their own child. The only thing they provided was money. This creates insecurity because she has no one to teach her how to cook or clean or show her genuine care. She a victim of a bad marriage. Which soured her world views made her more aggressive and defensive for what little self-esteem she felt she had left. Love is not something Taiga has really experienced. Most people who grow up dealing with devoicing at an early age often try to push others away.

Her parents hate each other any time they choose to spend time with Taiga. It's always for themselves and never for her. the only person she had to lean on was Minori, but that was not a healthy relationship Ryuji gave to her. Minori would contrast let Taiga go unchallenged, acting more like a sister who would spoiler their younger sister without a disciple.
The first time she someone confessed their love to her, she ran away out of fear of that kind of relationship due to her family history.

It's only when Ruyji enters the picture, who had a similar damaged family yet still had someone who cared and loved him, that he could come to relate with Taiga and also act like someone who mellowed her out later. At the same time, Taiga gave Ryuji the courage to stand up for himself.

Through the series, they develop and evolve while not wholly losing all their personalities they mature as the series progresses. Nether becomes a perfect idealistic human being, but that makes it all the more relatable and enjoyable.

It always bewilders me that people who hate on the series seem to have a strange dislike of character development. They seem to think a character should be perfect from start to finish.

Flawed characters are more enjoyable to me for the simple fact that their flaws only make their virtues all the greater.

Good analysis. True that she is quite a flawed character and that her family situation made her turn out this way. Though she drops quite a lot on the likeability scale purely because she just keeps hitting Ryuji for no reason. Am fine with tsunderes who struggle to be honest with themselves and others but the "abuse you so I can hide my embarassment" thing is a major turn off for me. The same is for Misaki from Maid-sama despite her amazing character development throughout the series. Atleast Misaki acknowledges her violent tendencies and attempts to fix them over the series but Taiga still treats Ryuji the same way right to the very end. I don't know why violence against male leads became "funny" but I just feel like it's cheap attempts at humor.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jun 21, 2021 11:04 PM
Jul 2020
People want to believe that the girls that treated them like shit in high school actually secretly liked them
Jun 23, 2021 4:51 PM
Jan 2021
Nothing, when watching it, it felt like a chore
Jun 24, 2021 3:34 AM
Feb 2021
It's not that we really like her as a character but I mean that's what you would've expect for a tsundere and a violent one. Reason also she's that violent because she don't know how to deal with her feelings professionally as you can see in the early episodes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 26, 2008

283 by Zertur »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 19, 2008

255 by Zertur »»
Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 11, 2009

502 by Seradim »»
Apr 6, 1:19 AM

» Minori Kushieda

LuckyTenth - Feb 21, 2021

9 by MyBliss »»
Apr 2, 3:42 AM

» What's physical diff between kano and ami

atl_nal - Mar 28

7 by Ashikhi »»
Mar 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.