Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2021 10:33 AM

Nov 2014
Not the ending I expected, but I don't mind. Tho I felt previous episode would feel better as final one. Cliffhangers are kinda cheap imo.
One thing that bothers me is why do they keep going? Considering they could hide right next to marching Legion, why couldn't they just live in some forest or city ruins? They explained their reason to fight earlier, but I don't see how it still applies when all they have left is just going to die, without hope to even destroy enemy units. Even going guerilla and setting up pitfalls would work better than this.
Jun 20, 2021 10:37 AM
May 2008
Panzer92 said:
Not the ending I expected, but I don't mind. Tho I felt previous episode would feel better as final one. Cliffhangers are kinda cheap imo.
One thing that bothers me is why do they keep going? Considering they could hide right next to marching Legion, why couldn't they just live in some forest or city ruins? They explained their reason to fight earlier, but I don't see how it still applies when all they have left is just going to die, without hope to even destroy enemy units.

Because of supply. They would not be able to get everything for the long run. They would starve to death. Sure they could hunt, but ammunitaion is finite too.

Also the Legion would notice them sooner or later. You have a much higher chance to survive all of this if you go towards the way where Shin doesn't sense the Legion anymore, because there might be someone out there.
Jun 20, 2021 10:38 AM

Mar 2020
Amazing ending to an already really good anime 8.5/10
check out odd taxi
Jun 20, 2021 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
what ending was this looking forward to the new season this ending was too confusing to tell the truth will be the guys really died this time, we'll only know this answer when the new season launches 9/10.
Jun 20, 2021 10:52 AM
Jul 2019
adnan_ said:
Great, they had to end this on an cliffhanger HUH. Gotta wait just to see that Shin really died or not in my opinion he is not dead. Really good 1st cour or 1st season idk. Best directed anime this season and a great adaptation overall. 8/10

Not sure how he could escape this, beside him turning into a shepherd to confront Lena later in battlefield will be a pretty interesting plot point.
Jun 20, 2021 11:10 AM

Nov 2020
el3mel said:
adnan_ said:
Great, they had to end this on an cliffhanger HUH. Gotta wait just to see that Shin really died or not in my opinion he is not dead. Really good 1st cour or 1st season idk. Best directed anime this season and a great adaptation overall. 8/10

Not sure how he could escape this, beside him turning into a shepherd to confront Lena later in battlefield will be a pretty interesting plot point.
Yeah that would be quite interesting but maybe there could be a new plot point like Shin can control the legions or something since he can hear them. Both your and my theory would be really interesting. Let's see what the 2nd cour has got in store for us.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jun 20, 2021 11:36 AM

Dec 2020
UTMAN said:
Xopgoblin45 said:

If someone would give me five dollars every time I hear from defenders of this anime that it was different in the novella and everything was explained there. I'd be able to buy all the volumes that came out and not have to listen to this nonsense anymore.

The excuse that things were different in the novella's plot is one of the worst possible.

"Those robots that were let in for one episode don't count,"

I mean those robots were in ep 1:
https://imgur.com/vAp7dh0
And in ep 6 aswell:
https://imgur.com/RQn850S
https://imgur.com/4UNJTfH

If you can't even notice this how should we take anything you say seriously? lol

I'm glad you agree with the rest of my arguments.
Jun 20, 2021 11:41 AM
May 2008
Xopgoblin45 said:
UTMAN said:

"Those robots that were let in for one episode don't count,"

I mean those robots were in ep 1:
https://imgur.com/vAp7dh0
And in ep 6 aswell:
https://imgur.com/RQn850S
https://imgur.com/4UNJTfH

If you can't even notice this how should we take anything you say seriously? lol

Well clearly you are inadequate to give any arguments on this anime since you managed to miss an utterly simple thing as an enemy unit being used before. If you missed this I wonder how many other, a sligthly more complex ideas went over your head.
UTMANJun 20, 2021 1:41 PM
Jun 20, 2021 12:06 PM
Oct 2008
There was a scene where it shows that Shin had a juggernaut emblem underneath his seat when he wondered whose name he would call out when he becomes part of the legion.

Can someone tell me whose that is? I thought it was the brothers but it cant be since he's using his brother's emblem.
Jun 20, 2021 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
Lena finding the Picture and the names was the icing on the cake for me in Cour 1. Very Solid Cour and we even got to learn more about Lev which was cool.

Shin leaving the tags with Fido...damn that hit hard as well.

Man that ending scene though...not looking good for the Old 86 crew.

Looking forward to the second cour whenever that is.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 20, 2021 1:28 PM

Oct 2020
I haven't a clue what happened or whats to happen to the remainder of the Spearhead Squadron. It's nice Lena took the cat and managed to read the diary and the messages they wrote for her. Aghghgh excited for s2!!

And of course

Fuckin’ Glory to the Spearhead Squadron!

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Jun 20, 2021 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Shishou_23 said:
minfairys said:
princess? the heck..

Concerning the whole princess ordeal and the voice of the ultra long range artillery legion unit, it’s just foreshadowing for the next cour. Just in case you’re confused. Sorry if this was a rhetorical question lol.
ooh i thought so. also dw, i don't mind. i can't wait for next cour then!
Jun 20, 2021 1:57 PM
Mar 2019
o like a lot.

any info about when its 2º season?
i only know that its confirm months ago but not when
Jun 20, 2021 2:50 PM
Jul 2013
The depression train is real this sping season.
Jun 20, 2021 3:19 PM

Sep 2018
As anime only this is pure speculation but I'll put it in a spoiler tag anyway.

Whichever way the show takes the story of the 86 next, this was a masterful ending.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 20, 2021 3:23 PM

Sep 2018
UTMAN said:
borderliner said:

How many times is this now that a negative poster has just clearly demonstrated they weren't paying any attention to the show at all !?

What is even the point in debating with these people, it's like they got their comprehension tests back with an F grade and blamed the test.

To be fair more times than I can count.
Point is that maybe 3rd parties, future watchers, who read all this or might read it in the future can see that most of what they say is just factually not true or based on stuff that's not true.

We can only hope...

And then a new !Critical Take! pops up !?

Jun 20, 2021 5:35 PM
Nov 2020
I completely forgot to add a comment to the discussion, but I loved this episode, as I loved all the other episodes. This anime is really, really good at pulling at your heartstrings with its brutality. I loved the cliffhanger that they gave us with Shin and the others.

Kudos to the entire staff for giving us such a wonderful adaptation. Amazing anime.
Jun 20, 2021 6:01 PM

Feb 2014
again this same old theme and... cringy xD maybe if this was one of my first animes i might have ended up enjoying

i will give 2nd a chance, though

5/10
Jun 20, 2021 6:22 PM

Nov 2017
What a masterful ending to the only anime in a LONG time that has kept me rooted to my seat for EACH damn episode!!!
All credit to the studio for the superb usage of most,if not all aspects of the adaption,esp Cv's and sound,and also some of the most heart rending scenes I have seen in a long age!

I gave it a ten,I only wish I could have gone higher.

Now,why isn't there a Nendoroid of Fido yet?

StarhammerJun 20, 2021 6:27 PM
Jun 20, 2021 6:44 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 11 and its good, and its the last episode as well.. in such a world where machines rule the battlefield, and humans driven to a corner where they are left to jist defend themselves, its also no wonder that some places would place a law just like in the anime.. in order to protect themselves.. which makes u think that some people are just so corrupt, or in the face of fear they would do anything in order to protect themselves.. well, shin and the team are now faced in a pinch of their lives lamost at the end of their journey.. just how will they play out in the end? Will they become part of those robots? Or will they survive and become a part of season 2? Amyways, i rate the anime a 10 of 10, 10 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 20, 2021 8:56 PM
May 2019
Definitely, I wasn't prepared for this episode. I don't know why, my mind blocked the fact this was the last episode of the season, I thought we would have joy for two more weeks.

But it was a great finale. The last scene, Shin's body without his head, was shocking. Lena founding the pig draw left me in tears. I know it's a stupid thing, but I was hoping the 86 would have a happy ending (living at the forest, having babies, idk). Good for us I am not the screenwriter, the anime is amazing because it destroys our heart.

The anime of the season. Thank you, 86.
Jun 20, 2021 9:03 PM

Jan 2020
What an amazing conclusion (to the first part). I came into the series not expecting much and I'm glad I was proven wrong.

I don't need to be a reader of the source material to know how well A-1 has done lol and that's saying a lot. I'll miss these characters for now and I'm looking forward to the special as well as the sequel in the future.

Jun 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Aug 2016
This was amazing. Top contender for AOTS and even AOTY for me.

That cliffhanger was great as well, if I hated it it means it was good in my eyes lmao definitely looking forward to the 2nd cour. Maybe it's because I just love animes with this type of themes in general, but I think it was really well directed and I think every aspect of it, from the story to the animation, was just great.

92/100 for the first part, let's see what happens in the second part, I can't wait!
Jun 20, 2021 9:47 PM

May 2020
So I liked the last few episodes...it really felt like the show is finally going somewhere. And I know there's a second cour coming. But...

What happened?

Suddenly they just went off the radar without explanation? And they couldn't tell Lena first for some reason? And they just kinda wandered around enjoying freedom but still technically carrying out their mission I guess? And Lena suddenly is out at the front lines doing something? And Shin and all of them are dead now? If so why did we follow them the past few episodes and what is Lena even planning to do?

The last few episodes felt sorta like The Promised Neverland S1, but without a clear explanation of the stakes/world. It seemed like it was good, but either all the answers to the raised questions are being left for S2 or it sucked. So...I guess I withhold judgement for now, but I don't like that I can't give a full opinion on it as it is. It's like how Re:Zero S1 was pretty good, but didn't really do anything plotwise. In that case, S2 was amazing and took the world to a new level. Hopefully this does the same. Otherwise I feel like I wasted my time for a confusing show that just had some pretty fight scenes. In the meantime, I give it a 7/10, but I feel like I'm rounding up from like a 6.8
Is Blue Box my favorite manga? Not yet...Yes. Yes it is. 

Jun 20, 2021 10:03 PM
Jun 2020
Ragerrodent said:
So I liked the last few episodes...it really felt like the show is finally going somewhere. And I know there's a second cour coming. But...

What happened?

Suddenly they just went off the radar without explanation? And they couldn't tell Lena first for some reason? And they just kinda wandered around enjoying freedom but still technically carrying out their mission I guess? And Lena suddenly is out at the front lines doing something? And Shin and all of them are dead now? If so why did we follow them the past few episodes and what is Lena even planning to do?

The last few episodes felt sorta like The Promised Neverland S1, but without a clear explanation of the stakes/world. It seemed like it was good, but either all the answers to the raised questions are being left for S2 or it sucked. So...I guess I withhold judgement for now, but I don't like that I can't give a full opinion on it as it is. It's like how Re:Zero S1 was pretty good, but didn't really do anything plotwise. In that case, S2 was amazing and took the world to a new level. Hopefully this does the same. Otherwise I feel like I wasted my time for a confusing show that just had some pretty fight scenes. In the meantime, I give it a 7/10, but I feel like I'm rounding up from like a 6.8

Their signal is out of range that's why the radar went off. Remember the special recon order: going into the depths of legion territory until they die that's why they have to move forward because that's the only thing they can do if they go back they'll be executed.

Humanity going to be wiped out by the legions is the stake here(terminator/matrix) and of course the racism.
Jun 20, 2021 10:36 PM

Oct 2008
it was...meh....
let see for 2nd season...
3/5.
7/10.
and oh Sawano's soundtracks is always insane sick!!

Jun 21, 2021 4:41 AM

Sep 2018
Ragerrodent said:

What happened?

Oh you poor confused little thing.

Shin was leading them somewhere very specific, he mentioned it a few times, I expect we'll find he got them all close enough to get noticed enough for there to be a positive outcome for Spearhead.

Jun 21, 2021 5:36 AM
Nov 2019
This is my spoiler free review of 86:
86 is one of those "mecha" tagged shows adapted from light novel that features overused concepts like racism, cruelty of war and child soliders. What sets it apart from other shows with similar themes are outstanding direction and storytelling. It has the 2nd best storytelling among the few mecha tagged anime I've watched (2nd to flag)
The Soundtrack and their timing is an additional quality to compliment above-mentioned ones. The animation and CG of mecha scenes are good. Story progression and the small twists it has, are all well built and fluid. One thing did bug me was that all soliders didn't have proper screen time. But it's expected from a story featuring war and probably all characters weren't significant enough to be highlighted in this build up for future. Don't misjudge the first season/cour because of action, mecha and Sci-fi subtags (all mecha tagged anime gets Sci-fi tag automatically anyway) or as a show featuring pretentious strategies.
The first season was more focused in military drama to showcase the themes of the show and laying out the foundation for it's upcoming seasons/cours with amazing direction and storytelling. As a build up season it gets 8.5 (you guys can make the 8.6 joke) from me which might increase or decrease in future seasons and for the first time I actually agree to the accumulative mal rating of an anime which is around 8.25 for 86.
Jun 21, 2021 6:23 AM

Sep 2020
it was a great anime
i hope shin stay alive
Jun 21, 2021 6:39 AM
Aug 2020
Does anyone know at what volume/chapter this episode covers from the light novel ?
Jun 21, 2021 6:44 AM
May 2008
FelixMamelix said:
Does anyone know at what volume/chapter this episode covers from the light novel ?

It covers the final chapter of LN 1 (Lena part) and a few pages of LN 2 chapter 2. (Shin fighting part). The school is anime only.
Jun 21, 2021 6:51 AM

Dec 2020
UTMAN said:
Xopgoblin45 said:

Well clearly you are inadequate to give any arguments on this anime since you managed to miss an utterly simple thing as an enemy unit being used before. If you missed this I wonder how many other, a sligthly more complex ideas went over your head.

You have a whole bunch more arguments from above. Can you try to answer one of them?

In addition to that, I have a whole discussion with a huge number of claims and holes in the series since episode four. And not one of those issues was ever covered in the anime, but they were certainly addressed in the novel.

Do you want to try to answer them without using the "it was told in the novel" argument?

Jun 21, 2021 7:09 AM
May 2008
@Xopgoblin45 You mean this right? I mean I can adress them, but I feel we are going to run into a rabbit hole just like a month ago and don't get anyhere.

If you want to test whether a person has critical thinking and the ability to build simple chains of logic, then show him this anime.
If he says he liked it, congratulations, you already know the answer.

If my words seem rude or provocative to you, just try taking one sip of beer every time you see some plot inconsistency or hole in this show.
By the middle of the eighth mug, you'll probably know what I mean.

This anime has great graphics, music and everything else that isn't about the plot. But as soon as you start thinking about the plot, all that beautiful visuals fall apart.

The last episode should have brought a tear to my eye, but all it did was make me laugh. A silly reference to World War I in the form of a book that shouldn't be in this world. The frontier of the empire is three days' leisurely drive away. The inadequate behavior of the Legion, which can't destroy the squad of five-man infiltrators it has already discovered. Bringing super long-range artillery into close proximity.

If you think about it seriously, don't you think people could have lost to this Skynet on Chinese firmware only if they had fought him with water balloons and water cannons.

And my favorite.The rifles and pistols they were given, even though the only targets they can use them against are the Albas.The rifles and pistols they were given, even though the only targets they can use them against are the Albians. Those robots that were let in for one episode don't count, as this was obviously done to make the death of the rest of the squad look less weird and silly.

5/10 Out of sheer respect for the opening and animation of the juggernauts.

f you want to test whether a person has critical thinking and the ability to build simple chains of logic, then show him this anime.

This is a personal attack towards the fans of this show, not an argument.

If my words seem rude or provocative to you, just try taking one sip of beer every time you see some plot inconsistency or hole in this show.

Not an argument either. You haven't brought up a single plot hole, you just claim that there are so many that you would die intoxication if you drank a shot everytime you saw one.

This anime has great graphics, music and everything else that isn't about the plot. But as soon as you start thinking about the plot, all that beautiful visuals fall apart.

Once again, not an argument.

The last episode should have brought a tear to my eye, but all it did was make me laugh. A silly reference to World War I in the form of a book that shouldn't be in this world. The frontier of the empire is three days' leisurely drive away. The inadequate behavior of the Legion, which can't destroy the squad of five-man infiltrators it has already discovered. Bringing super long-range artillery into close proximity.

The book part. The fact that this alternate history/timeline, RL things could still exist. Also your biggest issue is a book? Really?

Regarding the Legion, they discovered Shin when he attacked, so he had the upperhand. Also defeating recon units that you don't expect to exist within your background country is not that simple task. WW2 before D-Day Airborne soilders were dropped behind German lines to distrupt the nazi supply lines and the Germans had real trouble dealing with them.

If you think about it seriously, don't you think people could have lost to this Skynet on Chinese firmware only if they had fought him with water balloons and water cannons.

You are seeing this from elite soidlers PoV. Regular newly recruited people have it way harder. Lena's first squad lost its troops 30-40% on just one mission in ep 1.
Before mission: https://imgur.com/cNPDngA (Pleiades was also alive, he just died first)
After mission: https://imgur.com/9slM78p
Also Rei, in the epilogue of episode 8, single handedly killed a squad of 86 in mere seconds.
Also the Legions strenght lies iin their numbers. They swarm you and kill you. Obviously they going to lose in 1v1 against a very skilled soilder like Shin.

Your favourite part has been adressed in my previous comment with that 3 screenshots.
Jun 21, 2021 7:11 AM
Nov 2019
narium said:
Pranavk27 said:

Rewatch ep 10 again ,it was shown they have reached neighbour country "Empire of Giad"( where Legions came from) .Shin's parents are also natives of Giad so Shin may or may not know the language. Most of the 86's didn't have the basic education so its not surprising they don't know foreign language.

Isn't Giad supposed to be roughly Germanic in culture/language?

Empire is a multi-ethnic country. I reccomend reading this tweet by author.
https://twitter.com/Asakura_Toru/status/1406968381350187009?s=20
Jun 21, 2021 8:05 AM

Feb 2018
Either way this anime is still confusing. I'm not the owner of IQ 200+ I don't understand the beginning of the story even until the end, the death of each character is not memorable.

4/10
Jun 21, 2021 8:11 AM
Apr 2020
Hey I really liked this last episode too. I'm happy I did not drop this show after the underwhelming encounter between Shin and his Brother in a battle of who's more edgy, the 2 last episodes are really the best in the series and now I'm invested to see where it goes from here. I think we are gonna see a new generation of 86 and Lena will eventually face her old squad as part of the legion.

I will watch the second cour, maybe this is like Steins Gate, you suffer through some mediocre and bad episodes at the beginning and the second half is pretty good and pays off all the suffering you gone through.

6/10
Jun 21, 2021 8:25 AM

Sep 2018
UTMAN said:

Also the Legions strength lies in their numbers. They swarm you and kill you...

Obviously they going to lose in 1v1 against a very skilled soldier...

Don't you get the feeling these hate posters are just like the legion ;-)

Jun 21, 2021 8:31 AM
May 2008
borderliner said:
UTMAN said:

Also the Legions strength lies in their numbers. They swarm you and kill you...

Obviously they going to lose in 1v1 against a very skilled soldier...

Don't you get the feeling these hate posters are just like the legion ;-)

Truee. They are like the Black Sheep.

Their voices echo in my head "Plot holes!!" "Bad writing!!!"
Jun 21, 2021 9:34 AM

Dec 2020
UTMAN said:
@Xopgoblin45 You mean this right? I mean I can adress them, but I feel we are going to run into a rabbit hole just like a month ago and don't get anyhere.

If you want to test whether a person has critical thinking and the ability to build simple chains of logic, then show him this anime.

And my favorite.The rifles and pistols they were given, even though the only targets they can use them against are the Albas.The rifles and pistols they were given, even though the only targets they can use them against are the Albians. Those robots that were let in for one episode don't count, as this was obviously done to make the death of the rest of the squad look less weird and silly.

5/10 Out of sheer respect for the opening and animation of the juggernauts.

f you want to test whether a person has critical thinking and the ability to build simple chains of logic, then show him this anime.

This is a personal attack towards the fans of this show, not an argument.

Not an argument either. You haven't brought up a single plot hole, you just claim that there are so many that you would die intoxication if you drank a shot everytime you saw one.

Once again, not an argument.

The book part. The fact that this alternate history/timeline, RL things could still exist. Also your biggest issue is a book? Really?

Regarding the Legion, they discovered Shin when he attacked, so he had the upperhand. Also defeating recon units that you don't expect to exist within your background country is not that simple task. WW2 before D-Day Airborne soilders were dropped behind German lines to distrupt the nazi supply lines and the Germans had real trouble dealing with them.

You are seeing this from elite soidlers PoV. Regular newly recruited people have it way harder. Lena's first squad lost its troops 30-40% on just one mission in ep 1.
Before mission: https://imgur.com/cNPDngA (Pleiades was also alive, he just died first)
After mission: https://imgur.com/9slM78p
Also Rei, in the epilogue of episode 8, single handedly killed a squad of 86 in mere seconds.
Also the Legions strenght lies iin their numbers. They swarm you and kill you. Obviously they going to lose in 1v1 against a very skilled soilder like Shin.

Your favourite part has been adressed in my previous comment with that 3 screenshots.

It is very convenient to say that any book (referring to real historical events) can be in this world, and that you do not know the history of this world and similar arguments.

And purely theoretically you can even consider yourself right. But there is one problem. This book does not exist in isolation from the plot of its premise and the world of the anime as a whole. This book is a continuation of the plot ideas raised in the anime, but it is not integrated into the anime in any way.

To put it quite simply, it is a reference made in poor taste.
A good reference should make sense to the viewer/reader and still fit seamlessly into the world. If it looks alien and makes you remember that you're just watching a series with a set of plot ideas, one of which it refers to, then it's very bad.
I will remind you that the reference to World War I was inserted in a moment of major emotional intensity. And such a foreign object feels like a slap in the face, knocking you out of your sense of immersion in the story and its characters.
References should be made in the context of the story, or at least an homage should be made.
Seriously, having a society of absolute propaganda make a reference to this book as the title of a laudatory work about the stability (I could not find a moment with a map showing the direction of the robots' attack, but if I remember correctly they attacked from the east) of the eastern front would be much more subtle and meaningful, especially when we know how absurd the newspaper propaganda of the same WWI and WWII was sometimes.

I have a lot to say about your other arguments, but having learned my lesson from our past argument, I think it is worthwhile to deal with one issue first and then the others.

Regarding the previous argument, I will remind you that arguments about everything being explained in the novella do not count. And none of those things you said "we'll be told later" ever came up. Not the stories about the satellite cities, not the shelling of the camps, not the stories about the destruction of the air force and the reason the army was defeated in two weeks. None of it.
Jun 21, 2021 9:52 AM

Feb 2019
Damn. What an ending. 86 has not let me down even once in these 11 episodes. It's kept up its high quality from beginning to end, that I was worried at times because of expectations. Would I be expecting too much, and thus make it seem that the anime was worse than it really was?

But it never did. I really have to give it to A-1 Pictures for this. This is an amazing adaptation.

I can't believe Shin and the others are dead... Anju... I especially liked her... I thought at least Shin would live, but of course they wouldn't leave him, even though they knew full well that they were not going to survive that encounter. But there's no mortar support from Lena this time. They just died so easily like that... 86 doesn't pull its punches. I'm quite saddened by all this...

That was a very poignant second half. Lena finally comes all the way to their barracks and sees for herself where they lived. All they left behind, mere traces. Didn't expect them to leave those 'messages' and the picture for her. But that was beautiful. That was really beautiful.

Lena's determined face was badass. It was terrifying, and felt like cold steel. Sharp, strong, and unyielding. I can't wait to see more Lena. At first, you could say she was just a tad bit too idealistic and naïve, even though she already saw the deaths of the 86s in her previous squadrons. But now, none of that remains. Though her principles remain, she now sees the world she lives in for what it is, and ever since that mortar incident, no one can stop her. No one.

I want to quickly see more of this series in the second cour.

I'm so glad I picked this series up. I'm so glad that the news of its adaptation somehow reached me despite my never looking up anime news. And I'm so glad it piqued me. Although I have not watched the finales of the other shows I'm watching this season, I am almost certain this is my Anime of the Season. There are a lot of great animes this season, and amazing ones at that, such as Fruits Basket: The Final. But to not recognise the great work that is 86 feels like a mistake.

Throughout its 11-episode run, this show kept me on edge. It kept my eyes glued to the screen. And honestly, it left me reeling sometimes with how painful the things happening in the show were. Things that left an impression on me even days after I watched the episode.

My appreciation, admiration, and applause to the writer of the LN, and to the director of this anime, and to the entire staff who worked on it. This was an amazing work, and your passion really shone through. Can't wait to see the special and the 2nd cour.

9/10.
Jun 21, 2021 9:59 AM
May 2008
Xopgoblin45 said:

"This book is a continuation of the plot ideas raised in the anime, but it is not integrated into the anime in any way."

Regarding the book, the All Quiet on the Western Front is about "One of the major themes of the novel is the difficulty of soldiers to revert to civilian life after having experienced extreme combat situations."

Also this is just nitpicking on another level. It's year 2100~ in the anime, so it means WW1 and 2 could have happened. 200 years ago. It doesn't really matter to the whole story. The anime references a lot of things from real world. For example the Legion is an obvious reference to the Bible's Legion.

Also regarding the propaganda, you do know that the 86 are scavening the whole eastern from, where are cities/libraries could be destroyed and find that book there?

Regarding the previous argument, I will remind you that arguments about everything being explained in the novella do not count. And none of those things you said "we'll be told later" ever came up. Not the stories about the satellite cities, not the shelling of the camps, not the stories about the destruction of the air force and the reason the army was defeated in two weeks. None of it.

Since I'm not fortune teller, also not involed with the production of the anime, I cannot say for sure whether something very particular you mention will ever be adressed or not. If something the LN adresses and has not been adapted yet, and the anime decides to omit in order to make the anime less slow paced then I can't really do anything about it.

Regarding Satellite cities, and shelling of the camps you never brought up these to me. Also Idk what does it matter regarding the main plotline. But if you expand on them, by explaining what do you mean by both of these we can talk about it.

The destruction of the airforce is 2nd cour material. But you could see it in ep4 Lena flashback, that you are not really safe to be in an airplane over Legion contested terrority.

Also the reason why the army was defeated is there, you see it every episode, that the Spearhead is just fighting a war that's like 10:1000 numbers in the Legion'1s favour, and it has been said that this is only the 50% what it used to be. So the enemy numbers were way more at the beginning of the war.

UTMANJun 21, 2021 10:33 AM
Jun 21, 2021 1:43 PM

Jan 2021
Well that was a sad ending, although expectable. I wonder what will happen to Shinei, after him becoming part of the Legion.
Jun 21, 2021 1:50 PM

Apr 2010
Shishou_23 said:
The ultra long range legion unit’s voice was haunting, just like in the LN.
Special edition episode next week. I wonder what they’ll show.
It seems they left Shin’s fate and the rest of the remaining spearhead squadron’s fate up in the air to leave people wondering if they died or not.

Honestly, this was a great adaptation of one of my favorite novels. I’ll give it a 9/10. The first cour adapted only volume 1 and a bit of volume 2, so there is still a lot to unpack here. The novel has 10 volumes as of now.
Fuckin’ Glory to the Spearhead Squadron.

What do you mean 'up in the air'?? His head was CUT OFF oomf what a visual!
Jun 21, 2021 1:55 PM
Apr 2021
itssimplyme said:
Shishou_23 said:
It seems they left Shin’s fate and the rest of the remaining spearhead squadron’s fate up in the air to leave people wondering if they died or not.

Honestly, this was a great adaptation of one of my favorite novels. I’ll give it a 9/10. The first cour adapted only volume 1 and a bit of volume 2, so there is still a lot to unpack here. The novel has 10 volumes as of now.

In episode 5 Shin states that it's possible for several brain copies of one person to exist and he already encountered such cases
In episode 9 when Rei gets killed by Shin, you can see that he's surrounded by the same white space as in the epilogue, and he's getting dragged somewhere away from Shin instead of just dying
In episode 11 Shin states that there's NOTHING after death
Rei suddenly shows up, dressed as a knight, to take Shin away somewhere, despite the fact there's nothing after death
You can actually see that Shin's head is still attached to his body, it's just his head is surrounded by the same haze as Rei's face before Shin confronted his old trauma, just look very closely to to where his chin would be.
Also Rei literally showed up as a knight in shining armor to save shin, a knight that is supposed to protect shin which has parralels to some of the background fotage of episode 8: https://i.4cdn.org/a/1624297660193.jpg
Additionally Rei was not marked as destroyed until this weeks episode on the offical anime character page: https://anime-86.com/character/
So yea Shin is definetly still alive
Gabriel_GamingJun 21, 2021 2:08 PM
Jun 21, 2021 2:13 PM

Apr 2010
Ich_bin_einBaum said:
itssimplyme said:

In episode 5 Shin states that it's possible for several brain copies of one person to exist and he already encountered such cases
In episode 9 when Rei gets killed by Shin, you can see that he's surrounded by the same white space as in the epilogue, and he's getting dragged somewhere away from Shin instead of just dying
In episode 11 Shin states that there's NOTHING after death
Rei suddenly shows up, dressed as a knight, to take Shin away somewhere, despite the fact there's nothing after death
You can actually see that Shin's head is still attached to his body, it's just his head is surrounded by the same haze as Rei's face before Shin confronted his old trauma, just look very closely to to where his chin would be.
Also Rei literally shoed up as a knight in shining armor to save shin, a knight that is supposed to protect shin which has parralels to some of the beckground fotage of episode 8: https://i.4cdn.org/a/1624297660193.jpg
Additionally Rei was not marked as destroyed until this weeks episode on the offical anime character page: https://anime-86.com/character/
So yea Shin is definetly still alive

Ooooo! Thanks for all the references! Appreciate it :)
Makes sense! I mean, apart from the fact that MAL shows 86's volume cover lined up at the bottom of the page, each with Shin's face smacked front and center, the red scribbles do reflect how Rei was shown at the start.
Still, what a chilling way to show it! Like, he's almost definitely alive, yet that whole scene gave me goosebumps!

tensai95 said:
KONRADD said:
So they can't read Japanese? How did a nation of English speakers come spring up in Japan? Or is that asking for a spoiler?

Pretty sure shin said books they can't read are deemed useless, and this is coming from the guy who was shown reading books multiple times. They probably couldn't understand it anyways.

Or maybe shin was referring to Kuneha, for her sake, burning the books..?

On a final note, I'm so glad I got to watch this series. My favorite parts were easily the build up and development of the 86'ers between fights, and of course, their bond with Lena. Not many, IF any, mechas/sci-fi anime give time to develop the characters, they just let that happen during fights. Which is a valid way of character development, but I prefer how 86 did it - downtime between fights; slow and peaceful.

The OST was fantastic. Sawano outdid themself. I have AVID on a 1 hour loop hahaha!!
Cannot WAIT til the next cour!! I may just pick up the novel til then.

[Also to those who didn't enjoy it: totally your choice, I just feel sad you guys couldn't feel the feels I (and so many others) did :') ]
Jun 21, 2021 2:33 PM

Mar 2016
itssimplyme said:
Shishou_23 said:

There are several conclusions you can take from this scene. Rei comes in with the knight’s mantle appearing as the brother’s hero from the comic book. He’s not there in his regular attire. Of course we can also conclude shin is dead also. Could it be that....? Well I’ll leave it to your imagination. No spoilers.
Jun 21, 2021 3:12 PM

Sep 2018
Xopgoblin45 said:

It is very convenient to say that any book (referring to real historical events) can be in this world, and that you do not know the history of this world and similar arguments.

And purely theoretically you can even consider yourself right. But there is one problem. This book does not exist in isolation from the plot of its premise and the world of the anime as a whole. This book is a continuation of the plot ideas raised in the anime, but it is not integrated into the anime in any way.

To put it quite simply, it is a reference made in poor taste.

A good reference should make sense to the viewer/reader and still fit seamlessly into the world. If it looks alien and makes you remember that you're just watching a series with a set of plot ideas, one of which it refers to, then it's very bad.

I will remind you that the reference to World War I was inserted in a moment of major emotional intensity. And such a foreign object feels like a slap in the face, knocking you out of your sense of immersion in the story and its characters.
References should be made in the context of the story, or at least an homage should be made.

Seriously, having a society of absolute propaganda make a reference to this book as the title of a laudatory work about the stability (I could not find a moment with a map showing the direction of the robots' attack, but if I remember correctly they attacked from the east) of the eastern front would be much more subtle and meaningful, especially when we know how absurd the newspaper propaganda of the same WWI and WWII was sometimes.

What utter nonsense you have written here...

The author's use of that book title as a message passed from Shin to Lena is a masterful piece of shorthand. The historicity of the book is irrelevant, you only need to understand the themes, and those themes resonate strongly with this world (as they were designed to do)

And that last paragraph of yours!? Well, no surprise since you totally mangled the book's meaning that you'd propose something so hamfisted.

Jun 22, 2021 7:00 AM
Aug 2020
Will lena and Shin meet in anime?
Jun 22, 2021 3:24 PM

Sep 2014
Another great episode. This show has become so crazy good at the end.

Also wtf is Shin really dead? And the rest of them? I wouldnt be surprised if we see them later on again though.

It started out decent enough but the melodrama in the middle made me wary, glad I sticked to it.
Melize is kinda badass in her own way, especially in some scenes. The characters overall are pretty good, idk how to put it but its like they are more characters than just walking tropes, it feels almost natural. Music and animation was very good too.
I had high hopes given the setting and what can I say, I am actually surprised it lived up to it. Most things end up way worse, so thats a nice surprise.

Easy anime of the season for me.
Really looking forward to the second cour.

Comander-07Jun 22, 2021 3:33 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 22, 2021 5:47 PM
Mar 2021
I’m confused shin didn’t die in the light novel right so why in the anime
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

259 by ILLARX »»
Apr 2, 12:00 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2021

294 by Thorf »»
Mar 20, 11:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.