Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2021 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Neku and Beat put up a lot of effort in this fight and tbh, it's their desire to fight for what they believe in that drives them so far.

Most surprisingly is Shiki appearing to Neku again and even more surprisingly, she is affected by the same problem as Kouki and Uzuki had before. Seems they've set up for the series' finale. I go a nervous feeling about how the anime will conclude for its finale lol
Jun 18, 2021 10:03 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
We get the Game Master fight this episode, with Konishi fighting Neku and Beat. I like how they chose to do the fight up in the air, just like the game. I also like how they incorporated Noise Rhyme in the battle too. That powering-up Beat was a little shounen-y, but it was fun stuff, lol.

Rhyme’s memories of Beat were not her entry fee according to Konishi, though she’s not necessarily the most trustworthy lady. We also get Shiki back because technically Neku did beat this game with the defeat of the Game Master. Shiki getting flustered after realizing that Neku’s second entry fee was her was cute. And also Minamimoto's all trashed up, lol.

And with the week’s Game Master out of the way, all there’s left to fight is the Conductor himself. Kitanji brainwashing Shiki was a cheap tactic, but it didn’t do him too well since Neku and Beat can handle the challenge. We get to find out that Kitanji was responsible for the red pins because his goal is to get rid of individuality in Shibuya. Time for the fight against the Conductor in the next episode.

And all we have left is one last episode to tie things up. At this point, all I can say is thank god they didn’t try to cram the conclusion of the story in this episode and thank god we’re not getting A New Day adaptation. Hopefully the adaptation ends conclusively so it can stand on its own and not just be one big marketing ploy to get people to buy the upcoming game.
Jun 18, 2021 10:49 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was probably the weirdest episode so far in my opinion but I still liked it, especially that Shiki was back, it hurts to see her brainwashed like that but I suppose she's fine now... Neku really needs to save all of them, and I suppose that Kitanji's triple-headed dragon form is gonna be the final opponent
Jun 18, 2021 10:59 AM

Jun 2019
We got the game master taking on Neku and Beat and they managed to defeat her with the help of Rhyme in the process. We also saw Shiki back and she got flustered when she got to know that Shiki's entry fee was her.

Kitaniji is here and he has taken control over Shiki just like back with Shibuya's people. It's not looking good for them. But they managed to defeat him somehow. Really dumb piece of action if I should say. Didn't make any sense to me. He got defeated so easily. Just one more episode left.
Jun 18, 2021 11:10 AM
Sep 2015
Minamimoto has less role than I thought. Can't wait for the final episode!
Jun 18, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
Week 3, Day 7, the final day where shit goes all loose.

Minamimoto obviously trying to break through the Shibuya River Wall, and Week 3's Game Master Konishi has finally shown herself to allow Minamimoto to be the Composer on a condition, then fight against Neku and Beat as a worthy opponent. After much infighting, they manage to get Rhyme back and combine their powers to use Rhyme as their weapon, and defeat Konishi.

Not surprising to hear that Rhyme's memories are Beat's entry fee, the same way that Neku was forced to believe that Shiki's life was the same...and conspicuously meeting her in the Underground...and also the injured Minaimoto.

Right before their very eyes, the Conductor Kitaniji, and brainwashing Shiki to do his will in the Final Hour of the Room of Reckoning, influenced by the Red Skull Pin. The discovery that Kitaniji uses the Red Skull pins in this circumstance to warp Shibuya to his selfish ideals, and his Taboo Noise reflects that.

Well thank God that there's still a cerain section of Day 7 left to go, this would be a complete adaptation of the game after all.
Jun 18, 2021 11:20 AM
Jul 2017
lol that kitaniji fight really ended in one hit.

i wonder, we already completed the main story of the game sans Another Day chapter. would the Actual Final(tm) fight take up the entirety of the final episode and epilogue?
Jun 18, 2021 1:29 PM
Nov 2009
Not gonna lie, the fights in this anime adaptation were already pretty mediocre, but this episode took it to a whole new low. They actually had to rely on desperate deus ex machina where Beat goes super saiyan, rescues Rhyme and still somehow manages to defeat Konishi. Yeah right....(also rip Konishi aka best waifu in the show).

The fight with the first snake form was also a bit anti-climactic compared to that fight, but at least now we get the real thing in the next episode.
Jun 18, 2021 5:35 PM

Feb 2016
Removing all the game's humor from the anime makes Beat look a lot smarter. I do miss "Reaper Sport 4" and Konishi's rage.
その目だれの目?
Jun 18, 2021 6:52 PM

May 2015
Ah, and here we are. This episode made some interesting changes for the sake of time and while I think they're great for an adaptation, they definitely don't leave the same impression as the way the game did it.

I kept quiet about it because I thought they were gonna bring it up at some point, but in the game Beat is given 6 days to become the composer before he disappears due to his lack of efficiency as a reaper. The choice to get rid of that plotpoint altogether is a crime since it's a huge driving force and makes the stakes higher as he is fading away throughout day 7, but the adaptation is laser focused on Neku in particular and it has been doing pretty well with that these past few episodes.

After beating Konishi, they were supposed to come across Shiki in the Shibuya river and make their way to the bar place that the reapers hang out in thus starting the first phase of Kitaniji's fight and the possessed Shiki stuff. Shiki and Beat were supposed to be passed out back there while Neku heads further in to find the place that we see in this episode. There, Kitaniji's 2nd phase (The one you see in this episode) happens and Shiki and Beat catch up to him after a bit of dialogue. So what they did here was kind of warp everybody to the end area and mix earlier parts in with the 2nd phase so they could reasonably fit it in a single episode and let the final phase and falling action breathe in the finale while not feeling extremely rushed. It was a good call, though I am sad the only choice they could come up with was a warp to get them from Konishi's fight to Kitaniji's fight in one fell swoop.

They also decided to take Sho out in a less comical way and a part of me is a little sad they didn't steal his hat like they do in the game. I'm cool with their choice here since it doesn't give things away quite as much, but man is it considerably less goofy to look at.
Jun 18, 2021 10:11 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Lucifrost said:
Removing all the game's humor from the anime makes Beat look a lot smarter. I do miss "Reaper Sport 4" and Konishi's rage.
Agreed, I miss the original game's humor... RIP Reaper Sport 4 :(

I also somehow forgot that Beat was literally fading away around this part in the original game until @PEDREIVAX pointed it out. Oops.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

Okay, right off the bat there's a brief flashback to Joshua in the cold open...
See what I mean about the anime being over-reliant on flashbacks now? Why couldn't you let this game have a proper anime adaptation with a proper budget, Square Enix? Why does it ONLY have to be a condensed recap to advertise a new game, Square Enix? Why??
.......*deep breath* we just started, gotta stop complaining already... anyway, right after the OP, there's a random ass rock in the middle of nowhere and I was lost until they show a couple of seconds later that it's blocking the way to the river and that Pi-Face was sitting on it. Have no idea why this scene had to be framed like that, but okay... I mean I'm no animator so I probably shouldn't say shit on this...

Grim Heaper flies off after Iron Maiden finally appears, and then she starts her battle at the drop of her glasses.
A bit interesting how the anime staff chose to adapt this scene. I mean, there's the typical flurry of attacks with the anime continuing to not explain to anime-onlys that the attacks are actually coming from pins or what exactly the pins are or how Neku and Beat even got these pins in the first place, but it seems that instead of the hint Hanekoma left for the duo being remembered by either of them, the anime decided that Noise Rhyme gets her chance to shine. The anime continues to keep the weird change of Rhyme being stuck within Konishi's chest for whatever reason, but Beat has some flashbacks of his sister and green blasts of light come out of him that somehow set Noise Rhyme free. And instead of Noise Rhyme just being used as a pin, Neku and Beat use a fusion attack that transforms the cute little hamster noise and watch her essentially drag out Konishi's shadow and eat it or something. I guess this sibling bond was something new that was actually noteworthy and kinda cool, nice work anime staff.

Then it immediately cuts to the end-of-the-week white background...? Interesting change... very odd that we're not gonna still be on the river, but whatever... anyway Konishi lets the nature of Beat's entry fee slip and is erased, and then Neku and Beat finally see Shiki again. At least it's still cute to see Shiki's blushing and general reaction to learning what happened in her absence... can I ship? XD
Then another odd change happens with the group seeing a dying mathematician and the white background breaks into the Room of Reckoning. I guess we're completely skipping the Dead God's Pad and moving its scene to this room; that's sad cuz the Dead God's Pad was a really cool-looking room in the original game, but I guess at least anime-onlys still got to see it in a shot of the OP and whenever some of the higher-up Reapers are hanging out. Anyway, Shades hid here this time instead of being in the white background awaiting Players like he usually does, and does more weird anime-only-changes as he transforms into his snek Noise form while Shiki is possessed by his Red Skull pin.

Then the fight ends with finally an innovation on the spam-Fusion-resort the anime likes to use, with Neku and Beat turning the Fusion chains into a gold chain that holds all of the possessed Mr. Mews together and slamming it onto the huge snek. Shiki gets knocked out, Beat gets knocked out, Noise Rhyme gets knocked out, Neku somehow carries Shiki over to Beat and Rhyme, how the hell did he get that strong to pick her up, then... oh, looks like Shades has a timer himself...
I kinda felt like talking about how Neku has changed throughout his time in the UG since it gets brought up and somehow makes his Player Pin glow with huge flames for whatever reason the anime decided, but I honestly don't think the anime made his character development all that convincing. This adaptation rushes the entire story, cuts out all the small cool little things that help flesh it out, and barely shows much of Neku's internal thoughts for the audience to the point where some anime-onlys don't understand why those who played the game even likes him. My point is that the anime making him say what he's learned here feels very artificial in my honest opinion.
Anyway, the anime interestingly decides to actually call back to the unnecessary retcon they made about Noise being able to possess those in the UG with negative feelings, as Shades... wait what, splits apart into three-headed hydra snek Noise already? Huh??
I guess the anime reaaaaaally wanted to change things around for the sake of the sake of that, huh...

Well, at least I'm glad that the anime will at least end with the original game's ending and not A New Day........ right?

See y'all next week, folks.

1 EPISODE LEFT

THE HOUR OF RECKONING
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃.
Fario-PJun 23, 2021 11:14 PM
Jun 19, 2021 1:09 AM

Jan 2009
so its all about individualism vs collectivism (like hive mind mentality) all along
Jun 19, 2021 1:22 AM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode! Ain't no one in the reapers that's loyal to the composer, it's like Kitaniji said, everyone in Shibuya is selfish and all that, but is that such a bad thing? There's a limit to ones selfishness but turning everyone into a collective mind is kinda fucked. Really happy to see Shiki back! Even if she was brainwashed a few seconds later lmao.

Glad to know Hanekoma wasn't behind the red pins, still curious to what his role is in the reaper game. looking forward to the last episode.
Jun 19, 2021 2:59 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Quite a lot of progression this episode. Shiki's back too - kinda.

Seems that we're leading into a dragon battle for next week's finale.
Jun 19, 2021 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
The director really decided to put 3D in the fight which really wasn't bad, although it was really good in itself next episode is the last episode I'm curious to know what End of this show.
Jun 20, 2021 12:08 AM

Mar 2012
idk why to put possessed shiki and kitaniji 1 at the same fight but ok work
Jun 20, 2021 6:21 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 11 and its really good! Neku and beat now enters the tunnel, to find minamoto, also finding out exactly where konishi was actually hiding.. as a shadow user, she can actually hide in the darkness without knowing it, thus finding it hard for them to really find her.. even i didnt expect at first that she would hide in the shadows.. but neku must defeat konishi to clear the game.. and when its done, they must now face the mastermind on who is actually behind the red skull badges, which is actually kitaniji! Who would have thought! And now, neku is in a pinch of a lifetime, against a very powerful enemy indeed.. anyways, i rate the episode a 9 of 10, 9 for story and 9.5 for art.. :)
Jun 22, 2021 11:13 AM
Dec 2020
I fear I may have become a furry.
Jun 22, 2021 7:36 PM

Oct 2008
Ok 1 more episode left, I really would've prefer if Neku was more jerk just like in the game then the change in neku's personality that the characters were talking about would've been more noticeable and more charming but then 12 episodes.... sigh, too short to flesh out it's characters.

If I can remember it well, the audience weren't suppose to know that Shiki was taken as Neku's entry fee until Shiki's reappearance just like the scene in this episode, it was supposed to be a twist and that as a twist really had a lot more impact in the game because it really reflects how much Neku had changed and it was really sweet of Neku.

Anyways I really like how the menu music from the game was played last minute of this episode, although I would've really prefered if the music was played it while they were on the mission at streets of shibuya.

Also I really like Shiki's voice, so far she has the best voice in the series. Question: does Shiki in japanese version of the game share the same Seiyuu in Anime? I only played the english version on ds so that's why I don't know.
Jun 22, 2021 8:36 PM

Mar 2020
I would criticise this episode for being crammed full of information which should have been spaced out over the past couple of episodes, but in all fairness that's exactly how I feel about the game. Glad to see the anime finally being faithful to the source material for once tee hee.

The Konishi fight was cool, but the development with Beat using his leftover reaper powers to rescue Rhyme was more than a little dubious. While there are some benefits to Rhyme getting tittysmothered by Konishi (such as being held in a cute cage and transforming into a kaiju), I really don't understand why she couldn't get squished into a pin like she was in the game. It would occupy about as much screentime and wouldn't have to rely on a deus ex machina to make sense. For whatever reason the streets of Shibuya also seemed to be void of the effects of the red skull pins during the fight, but I'm willing to forgive that oversight.

The next episode is most definitely the last, but I'm curious about how they're going to fill out the entire episode with just the final battle. I think Square could pull it off if they hacked my 3DS' frontal camera and compiled a 22-minute compilation of me saying the fuck word during the final battle at 3 in the morning, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I plan to stay up for the final episode, so fortunately for me I don't have to wait much longer.

Jun 23, 2021 11:26 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
jestyn said:
Ok 1 more episode left, I really would've prefer if Neku was more jerk just like in the game then the change in neku's personality that the characters were talking about would've been more noticeable and more charming but then 12 episodes.... sigh, too short to flesh out it's characters.
.......*sigh* agreed....

If I can remember it well, the audience weren't suppose to know that Shiki was taken as Neku's entry fee until Shiki's reappearance just like the scene in this episode, it was supposed to be a twist and that as a twist really had a lot more impact in the game because it really reflects how much Neku had changed and it was really sweet of Neku.
Actually, the game did reveal it earlier, but not as fast and straightforward as the anime did.
The anime actually shows the whole thing happening right away and makes it less bittersweet by Shades making it clear while Shiki is suddenly fading and seems to be in pain. This is unlike the original game showing Shiki disappearing as she hovers into the air, while both she and Neku are smiling at each other, not just from their newfound friendship but also because she's free from the game now and finally getting reincarnated, before Shades tells Neku that she was actually just taken as his new entry fee. This makes Shiki's confusion as to why she's still in the UG and appearing as Eri more sense.
Also, the game makes this all a flashback—instead of showing it right to the player right away, they just cut right after the two erase Higashizawa to Neku appearing at Scramble Crossing again with a new Mission at the start of Week 2, with Shiki's disappearance all being shown as a flashback sometime later.

.......it really zetta sucks that the anime is less cinematic and thrilling with examples like this...

Anyways I really like how the menu music from the game was played last minute of this episode, although I would've really prefered if the music was played it while they were on the mission at streets of shibuya.
Yeah, this anime really doesn't know how to use "It's A Wonderful World" effectively at all lol

Also I really like Shiki's voice, so far she has the best voice in the series. Question: does Shiki in japanese version of the game share the same Seiyuu in Anime? I only played the english version on ds so that's why I don't know.
I agree, Anna Hachimine does a good job and I don't understand why some people on her MAL page are complaining. And yes, most of the seiyuu from the original Japanese version of the game did return for this anime, even Shiki's seiyuu despite the fact that she is not a regular anime voice actress. Rhyme and Hanekoma are arguably the exceptions, as Rhyme's seiyuu is the same one from her appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, and Hanekoma's seiyuu is replaced entirely by a guy who has pretty much appeared in a ton of anime. At least his voice fits the character imo.
Jun 25, 2021 5:29 AM

Oct 2017
Good to have Shiki back. The twists were all right and let the final battle begin.
Jun 27, 2021 6:05 PM
Dec 2017
One more episode of chemotherapy over.

Aug 22, 2021 10:18 PM
Dec 2017
Lucifrost said:

That really was one of the biggest thigns that killed me.

Aug 24, 2021 7:01 AM

Jul 2015
Good to see Shiki return although less happy she was brainwashed there into fighting Neku. Time for the final battle after three Reaper games

Jan 16, 2022 1:43 AM

Dec 2013
It's surprising seeing Rhyme play such a big role in the fight against Konishi.

It was really nice seeing Shiki return in this episode. Her embarrassed reaction when she learned that she was Neku's entrance fee was adorable.

Of course, the final boss has a second form.
Mar 27, 2022 5:22 AM

Jul 2021
Arghhhh I hate sequel forms, they just get more harder!!
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 4, 2022 1:49 AM

Dec 2012
Dat light.
Sho.
Konishi appears from Bito's shadow.
Sho with the epic Kabedon on Konishi.
Dat transformation.
Bito got Raimu back.
They won.
Bito's entry fee was Raimu's memories.
Konishi is dead.
Shiki appears.
Sho is down.
Kitaniji.
Shiki is being controlled.
Dat transformation.
Kitaniji is defeated?
Dat timer.
Neku is glowing.
Dat transformation.
Dat ending.

@Fario-P Because you didn't explain the unique situation with Raimu. For the unaware, Raimu's original seiyuu, Hitome Nabatame, also voices Konishi in the game. Nabatame voices Konishi in this anime. Clearly a staff decision to not let Nabatame voice Raimu and keep Taketatsu for the role.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2021

58 by REVA0000 »»
Jan 18, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

29 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

34 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » CALLING

TrishaCat - Jul 3, 2020

21 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jan 23, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Oct 28, 2022 1:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.