Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 12, 2021 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haha, watching Emilico and Kate go down that river together was amusing. Emilico seems to really enjoy the time of her life with her friend.

This episode still turned out to be very tense with the higher ups and consequences of recent events. Some characters needs to watch out what their mouth says, like Edward.
Jun 12, 2021 9:02 AM

Jan 2011
Rumbros are going to be really pissed off today.
Jun 12, 2021 9:50 AM

Jun 2020
Wow lots of information bombs this episode. I think this might be my favourite one yet. Idk why I was expecting Kate to grow wings or something and it actually happened lmao
This anime shit is addictive
Jun 12, 2021 9:56 AM

Nov 2019
spectrojan said:
Wow lots of information bombs this episode. I think this might be my favourite one yet. Idk why I was expecting Kate to grow wings or something and it actually happened lmao

Well it's not that unexpected since we saw that one high ranking shadow always has her huge butterfly wings out
Jun 12, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2019
I remember seeing this part in the manga, and loving most but some parts i just hated, same here tbh. The thing that i hate is just how they just lay out a giant information bomb in the most meh way possible. Its literally what you shouldnt do when you do exposition, especially information as important as this. Besides that tho, the episode was just great, fun at the beginning, super creepy after, its was a very enjoyable watch.
Jun 12, 2021 10:25 AM

Dec 2020
debut arc, finished !! kate's soot powers were sick, emilyko's quick and creative thinking were nice too. the scene where shirley's disappearing(?) is definitely my favorite part this episode, i was wondering how they'll do the animation but it was really well done

i dont remember the funeral scene from the manga but that was pretty :o wonder what john said to kate. we also got a full explanation on what the shadows are and why "living dolls" are there, dont really like how very important and anticipated info was just dropped like that but eh whatever. last part with emilyco smiling while being manipulated by the soot coffee was hella creepy
Jun 12, 2021 10:27 AM

Feb 2020
Emilico and Kate moments are always so enjoyable.

That info bomb felt a little heavy though.
Jun 12, 2021 10:34 AM
Aug 2016
What a fantastic episode. Emilico x Kate moments are the best <3
Poor Shirley. She deserved better. F
The info dump was quite overwhelming. I guess it will take time for it to settle in.

5/5
Jun 12, 2021 10:41 AM

Jan 2014
Aaaahhhh, knew there was a scary sort of moment coming up, and it's all one big oof. So the dolls are pretty much made with the intent later on, for the Shadows to take their face, while also being super loyal to the Great one. Using that tea to help control the dolls into believing that. Kate and anyone else for that matter that is on Kate's side have got a tough job on their hands if they're gonna stop this.
Jun 12, 2021 10:42 AM
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Apr 2020
this was mildly disturbing...
Jun 12, 2021 10:43 AM

Jan 2015
So the shadows are parasites? What the hell?
And oh god, Emilico and the others have been brainwashed. Poor Ram as well…
Jun 12, 2021 10:47 AM
Oct 2015
Noisrev said:
spectrojan said:

Well it's not that unexpected since we saw that one high ranking shadow always has her huge butterfly wings out

yeah but I think that's just part of her costume and not part of her soot powers, tho.
Jun 12, 2021 10:49 AM
Sep 2015
OK so this episode is a real scary, I'm actually shock that Shirley die because I thought this anime is a children adventure. But for the twist about Shadow's true nature, I'm more like, "OK, so what's next?" than "OMG I'm so shocked!"
Jun 12, 2021 10:49 AM

Jun 2019
Oh boy... first of all, the relationship development between Kate and Emilico was so precious. Not just Emilico, but Kate also cares a lot about her. To my surprise was that Kate managed to control her soot and use it as a way to pass the test along with Emilico. Everyone was surprised by that so there must be something that troubled the higher-ups about her.

I felt really bad for Rum. This was the first time that her master, Shirley managed to engage in a heart to heart and she couldn't even express her feelings towards her master. What a poor girl and then the whole mysterious drink which led all the dolls to be controlled by the Lord grandfather and the higher-ups. A lot of mysteries were cleared in this episode but there is a lot that still remains unknown. Emilico's mind being controlled at the end. I hope she gets out of it soon.
Jun 12, 2021 10:51 AM
Jul 2020
VP2003boi said:
I The thing that i hate is just how they just lay out a giant information bomb in the most meh way possible. Its literally what you shouldnt do when you do exposition, especially information as important as this.

Agree with this guy right here, still enjoying the show and have REALLY big hopes for it. Shit, I'm already looking forward to s2:)
Jun 12, 2021 10:59 AM

Oct 2017
Shirley's final moments were sad, even more so after learning the truth of the shadows. She finally started to bond with Rum but it was too late, sigh. Also Emilico has been brainwashed damn. I hope she will turn back to normal.
Jun 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Apr 2018
Emilico and Kate surfing to the end point was pretty fun but after that we managed to see something sad, the end of Shirley. Poor Rum, Shirley finally said her name but that was the last time.

Aside from that, they organized a party for the winners. Offered an ''adult'' drink aka coffee lol xD. But ofcourse, Kate only loves tea. Maryrose seems like a fun character to hang out with. I'm expecting more screentime with her (hopefully).
Seems like the drink that they gave them wasn't just coffee.. Sneaky bastards..
Well now we know how shadows are created.
The reason why Shirley 'died' is because she didn't acquire a personality, so her life force was too weak..
Edward is in care of the children now. And that's probably not a good thing because he's after Kate now lol..
Seems like Emilico is still brainwashed by the Grandfather's sooth..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 12, 2021 11:10 AM
Jul 2017
VP2003boi said:
I remember seeing this part in the manga, and loving most but some parts i just hated, same here tbh. The thing that i hate is just how they just lay out a giant information bomb in the most meh way possible. Its literally what you shouldnt do when you do exposition, especially information as important as this. Besides that tho, the episode was just great, fun at the beginning, super creepy after, its was a very enjoyable watch.

I do think that some of the information that we got was a bit heavy handed. The part where Kate thinks it may be the coffee, we didn't need to get told directly that it was the Lord's soot coffee, we could kinda guess that. I also Don't like how they explained the first stage of Shadows. Wish that mystery lasted a bit longer and all we knew was that there are three stages, 'so what was the first?'. Something like that would have been better.

Overall though, most of the more main exposition was fine though, especially after coming this far.
Jun 12, 2021 11:15 AM

Apr 2020
that was fun seeing kate and emilico in the begining, and it's turn out that shadow is made after the doll not the other way around. then they just give so much informations in short time, my brain can't process >_<
Jun 12, 2021 11:26 AM

Jul 2016
The episode starts with Edward being full of himself, but says BTFO to him with that big brained move by Emilico. And Kate controlling her soot is known now. And liked the sequence of Kates wing.

The ones of the highlight of this episode is Rum and Shirley scene its hitting hard with that monologue and no music. Its pretty powerful scene.

The other is the debut passers. And the true power of the coffee. That scene with other dolls idolizing Grandfather is creppy asf, and their eyes too.

The last part is about lore and infodump about the origin of the shadows and other. Edward looks like he is certain that Kate will rebel in the Shadows house.

And Kate needs to dispel the hypnotized Emilico. Which she seems not herself.

Overall best episode of the series

Jun 12, 2021 11:32 AM

Jan 2021
I knew that trolley would come in handy in the end
Spectacular, glad to see that they have passed the debut
Sht, Rum made me sad in a second (╥_╥)

I can't dislike Grandpa more. I'm sure the protagonists will be those shadows and dolls that cause a revolution. I hope they all go back to normal D:
Jun 12, 2021 11:38 AM

Jul 2017
Emilico sacrificed a lot for Kate's survival, even with blood, the safety of Kate is more important than her own life. What a sturdy Livng Doll. But even if both Kate and Emilico can't pass their debut, their relationship is very enduring.

The Master Living Doll Edward thought all of his plans are going as planned, but the warning from the 3rd Floor Shadow Masters clearly has warranted his attention: the pushcart turning into a boat to reach back to the starting point in time while Kate controls soot, that is easily the biggest game-changer. It's true that Living Dolls and Shadow Masters must follow tradition, but Kate broke all that with Emilico, which was magnificent as the final pair to pass and finish the Debut strong.

Rum and Shirley though, I feel sad for them both, espeically the Living Doll and whom failed to pass, and her Shadow Master faded into soot.

The soot coffee that the Living Dolls drank that sends them to a frenzy about Lord Grandfather, as with the truth realized that Rum and Shirley's failure is due to a personality mismatch, much less acquiring it (and how they came SO CLOSE to finally having a relationship). Combine that with Edward's explanation of how Living Dolls morphs into Shadows, and you have a recipe for disaster against the top-tier Shadow Masters.

What a cutthroat family relationship who delights in successes and kills all those who fails, failure is NOT tolerated against those who defy the Shadows House system. And for Edward, Kate is his next target.

YIKES. To see the Living Dolls slowly being morphed into Shadows with Stage 1 of the brainwashing process, that's scary enough.
Jun 12, 2021 11:44 AM

Feb 2019
Very big episode, we finally got some insight into what the soot is and Edwards intentions. So the shadows are basically fairies that take human form. What I’m wondering is if the dolls are actually “dolls” or if they’re just the real humans that the fairies are trying to become. I’m still not sure on who or what lord grandfather is tho..

Rum and Shirley’s moment was heartbreaking too. She couldn’t even express herself to her master properly. Really gutting. A lot of info dropped on us quickly today. Hoping for season 2.
Marinate1016Jun 12, 2021 11:50 AM
Jun 12, 2021 11:50 AM

Feb 2017
Kate was already cautious about the whole thing but I bet how the whole debut played out and on top of that the brainwashing of her precious Emilyko might have set in motion some sort of plan to take down grandfather.

Shirley "death" hit harder than one would think for a pretty much blank character thanks to how much they made us care for Rum, really hope she'll continue to show up and maybe regain her personality since the whole veiled doll thing seems like a fate worse than death.
Jun 12, 2021 11:58 AM
Apr 2016
I sincerely hope the manga/anime will end with the "living dolls"
destroying all the
and gaining freedom...

How come nobody tried to stop them, though? One would expect that

Jun 12, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 2018
GUYS IF YOU WATCH EP 1's FIRST 2 MINUTES NOW,EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER..THANK ME LATER :>
"Just Keep Your Opinion To Yourself.Dont Force It On Others.We All Are Different Human Beings "
Jun 12, 2021 12:04 PM
Apr 2018
JanPri said:
I sincerely hope the manga/anime will end with the "living dolls"
destroying all the
and gaining freedom...

How come nobody tried to stop them, though? One would expect that

I think the children choosen to be living dolls are orphans or something like that and are sold.. thats why nobody knows about it
"Just Keep Your Opinion To Yourself.Dont Force It On Others.We All Are Different Human Beings "
Jun 12, 2021 12:19 PM

Aug 2020
man, that mass info bomb was heavy.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Jun 12, 2021 12:30 PM

Jul 2011
Was a great problem solving from Kate & Emilico to finish the debut trial.

Was depressing what happened to Shirley & Rum pair, but at least she can come back later on. After all she became Veiled, and they didn't killed her. I like Rum.

I dont like to drink coffee, after this episode I hate coffee.

Good to know what Shadows are.

The drink from the first episode is the same from this? Or this one is stronger?
If this one is stronger and don't lose potency over time, I imagine Kate will have to "exorcise" Emilico, using her soot control.
Jun 12, 2021 12:32 PM

May 2018
Wow, this episode revealed a lot. Many weird elements now make perfect sense.

BlichoBoy said:

The drink from the first episode is the same from this? Or this one is stronger?

This looked weaker since Emilico's personality didn't get entirely wiped out.
alshuJun 12, 2021 3:46 PM
Jun 12, 2021 12:42 PM

Jul 2014
Emilico and Kate's arrival with those wings of soot was so cool.

Come on man, I was so happy with Kate and Emilico succeeding only to see Shirley disappear moments later .

Poor Rum. Without Shadow, without her memories and now as a veiled doll. At least this answers what veiled dolls are.

Finally we have an explanation of what the Shadows are and damn, they're kind of creepy. The thing is, if what they've said is true, doesn't Kate seem to know more than she should? She definitely seems more unique than the rest.

With Emilico's cute face when she tasted the coffee I didn't expect it to be made of soot and have those effects. The funny thing is, watching a bit of the first episode, they had already drank that coffee when they first arrived to Shadows House.

Unlike Patrick, John does seem to have noticed at the time that something wasn't right with the living dolls and I assume that's the message he gave Kate.

WTF with that ending, seeing Emilico like that was terrifying.
Jun 12, 2021 12:46 PM
Feb 2019
alshu said:

BlichoBoy said:

This looked weaker to since Emilico's personality didn't get entirely wiped out.

Problem is, now Emilico drank TWO cups (hers and Kate's).
Jun 12, 2021 1:14 PM

May 2018
Avenday said:
alshu said:

This looked weaker to since Emilico's personality didn't get entirely wiped out.

Problem is, now Emilico drank TWO cups (hers and Kate's).

Yeah, but she still has some memories left. My theory is that they give weaker stuff to the puppets who are not discarded because restarting them would be troublesome to their masters.
I think Kate will leave Emilico to develop her previous personalty or even guide her in this direction.
alshuJun 12, 2021 3:47 PM
Jun 12, 2021 1:19 PM
Aug 2018
I've gotta say, the information dumps are really jarring. The first 4 episodes would slow drip info in such an exciting way, but the dumps are not interesting. Im starting to feel like the show is rushing to reveal all of its mysteries before the season ends
Jun 12, 2021 1:57 PM
Aug 2018
If "living doll" are actually "brainwashed human", then, Emilico shouldn't have been able to survive her fall in the second and ninth episode (at least, not with just a bruise). Flower/Bushes are nice (even though in second episode, the angle of her fall made it seem unnatural she landed on bushes but they are not magical (to absorb 90% of the impact).

If that's the case, the robustness of Emilico is kinda misleading, since it seems unlikely that an human could survive this. Which reinforces the idea of them being doll... (unless the author truly believe that bushes can shield from fall damage at 99%). I mean, the first fall was at least 10 meter, right ?

Thinking back on the beginning of the anime, it's kinda weird Emilico didn't know how to read while Mia could (on "first" wake up). Two possibilities : The "first" coffee had less impact on Mia (but it's doubtful, I assume the first coffee reset everything). Other possibility : Emilico family (or orphanage) was really poor and she didn't learn to read while Mia was "luckier" and had someone to teach her. Amnesia don't necessary impact skills.

While I understand the drink is "mandatory" for the plot to work, I'm not a fan of event/drugs which impact memory. Because, it erases the character evolution... And while I hope Emilico get quickly back to her "normal" self, it wouldn't make sense if it was so easy to get past the "reset".

Unless there is an antidote or something. Looking forward to seeing how the show evolves from there.
Rukodaime91Jun 12, 2021 2:07 PM
Jun 12, 2021 2:07 PM

Oct 2020
^Rukodaime91

You'd be surprised at how durable humans can be. People have surprised getting thrown out of planes or what have you, so it's not surprising Emilyko survived such a fall.

I've survived a ten foot fall into bushes and I was just a bit scraped up- like how Emilyko was here. I was a kid when that happened, and Emilkyko is fairly young, so I'm not surprised.

Emilyko and the other dolls are human. It's unlikely but not impossible that someone could survive.
Jun 12, 2021 2:08 PM

Feb 2020
Wow, huge episode. The atmosphere of this episode was perfect and Shirley's death scene was so well done, but the way all of that information was just inelegantly infodumped is irritating. From other comments, it seems that the infodump was in the manga too, so at least it wasn't anime-only lol, but the delivery still sucked.
Jun 12, 2021 2:11 PM
Nov 2009
JustRitom said:
GUYS IF YOU WATCH EP 1's FIRST 2 MINUTES NOW,EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER..THANK ME LATER :>

Pretty much this, a lot of it was already foreshadowed (pun unintended) in the first 2 minutes of episode 1, whereas in the manga you don't know shit until this part of the anime.

People complain about the "info dump". but in all honesty it's not even that much info. Just the fact that morphs take the form of a living doll and develop a personality by exposure, and the fact that the coffee is used for brainwashing purposes.

There's still many other mysteries to be explored later on, and more stuff gets explained in the last 2 or 3 episodes.
Jun 12, 2021 2:20 PM

Oct 2020
Indeed, only one mystery of the Shadows House has been resolved. We still don't know what the Grandfather is, why he started doing this etc. etc.

Jun 12, 2021 2:21 PM
Aug 2018
Grim_Eyes said:
. It's unlikely but not impossible that someone could survive.

Well, since we don't actually know the height, I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt. Looking back, there was some hints doll were not doll before the coffee story (I put in spoiler but I didn't read the manga so no risk).

Zanbaka said:

People complain about the "info dump". but in all honesty it's not even that much info. Just the fact that morphs take the form of a living doll and develop a personality by exposure, and the fact that the coffee is used for brainwashing purposes.

I agree. I don't think it was that much exposure. The only thing which could seem unnatural was the king asking Edward to "explain" the role of face. Even if the King said "Let's test your knowledge", I don't believe this reason is natural since Edward just organized a "debut". It's too late to ask him basic question... Of course, it would be better to have this information being explained in a more natural, dynamic way. But, I don't think the setting allowed it. Since, the character will follow will not get near the King soon... So, I don't really mind this little info dump.
Rukodaime91Jun 12, 2021 2:29 PM
Jun 12, 2021 2:29 PM
Oct 2015
NotAVampyre said:
I've gotta say, the information dumps are really jarring. The first 4 episodes would slow drip info in such an exciting way, but the dumps are not interesting. Im starting to feel like the show is rushing to reveal all of its mysteries before the season ends

the funny thing is that this is exactly how the manga handles it. It slow drips for a while and then does massive drops like this.
Jun 12, 2021 2:35 PM

Jul 2015
Emilico causally dropped an N-word while drinking coffee. LMFAO

Btw, if a shadow master fails at their debut, they break apart and die? That's dark.

Jun 12, 2021 2:36 PM
Dec 2020
Top tier Shadows House episode bro.
Jun 12, 2021 3:29 PM

Jun 2017
Damn that was bangers, we knew Kate practiced controlling soot but I didn't think she would master it to the extent to be able to fly with it.

I had a feeling the cart would be used somehow, didn't thnik they would turn it into a boat. lol

Too bad about Shirley and Rum. I expect the latter to be discovered as the repurposed veiled doll, likely when Emilico's memories get unjumbled. Kate and John already seemed to catch on with the bullshit drinks so that's a great start.
Jun 12, 2021 4:08 PM

Sep 2020
It's always a pleasure seeing Edward getting what he deserves.
Jun 12, 2021 4:23 PM
Dec 2020
JustRitom said:
Thanks for telling me that. Now I've put the puzzle pieces together.
Jun 12, 2021 5:03 PM
Feb 2021
Wow... Just wow

I don't know what to say. I'm very amazed! They just added a lot more tension to the story and I love it! At the beginning it was all nice and cute with Kate and Emilico in the boat on the river and then the episode does a complete 180 and gets into some quite creepy stuff. We hot our first character death (Rip Shirley) and all the dolls are now obeying the Lord Grandfather. the one thing that i kinda dislike about the episode is the wave of information they give near the end. It's a lot to take in at once especially after such an eventful episode. But other than that this episode was GREAT!
Jun 12, 2021 5:08 PM
Feb 2021
Piromysl said:
Emilico causally dropped an N-word while drinking coffee. LMFAO

Just went and re-watched that scene LMAO! I'M DYING!
Jun 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Oct 2019
So Kate and Emilico survived, as was expected they will. The way they made it though was quite ... refreshing! It appears that Kate is a little rebel and Edward is on to her.. I suppose he mentioned nothing about her to the brass because he has no proof (yet) and was wary making a fool of himself. Merely hiding her powers does not make Kate a rebel (though we know she is, due to that "root of all evil" comment and her suspicions about the place).

These last 2 - 3 episodes had a ton of disclosures. So the Shadows are parasitic fairies, starting as simple Morphs which are derived, apparently, from Grandpa Boss. Like any parasite they cannot survive or rather in this case fully develop on their own; they need a host. The word "parasitic" suggests that they probably take over their host completely or they live while burdening or harming them (not harm to their body but to their mind, since the goal appears to wipe it clean and replace it with their own..). Otherwise they would have been called "non parasitic symbionts".

When mere propaganda is deemed insufficient dark bitter coffee laced with Grandpa's soot is used as a brainwashing tool. Kate was quick to notice that as well. I frankly wonder if the Dolls even need to consent to being merged.. They probably do not, unless one considers agreeing to it while being brainwashed consent.. I thought in the previous episode that for the merging to work both sides needed to mirror each other perfectly (like Mia with their annoying master).

It appears that the Shadows are meant to develop personality (aided by some mimicry and interaction with their Doll) largely on their own, or rather that's the goal. Edward only spoke about the personalities of the Shadows after all. The Dolls are meant to be merely apathetic faces, but I think they have them mimic the movements, mannerisms and (assumed) facial expressions of their shadow masters (not their personality or character) so that the eventual merged being develops the muscle memory of the Shadow.
Jun 12, 2021 5:24 PM

Apr 2020
Rewatched ep 1 and it makes a lot of sense now.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 6, 2023 12:45 AM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

190 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 2, 2023 9:58 PM

» I hate Barbie For Eternity.

KhoaVN - Oct 27, 2023

9 by ichihito »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

125 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2021

62 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.