Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2021 12:22 PM

Mar 2016
Another episode worthy of a chef's kiss. The anime original scenes really helped. The directing and subtleties continue to blow me away and I'm tempted to give this series a 10/10 right now considering I genuinely enjoy a tad bit more than the LN as of currently. The post credits scenes with Fido's montage was so well done, feels like those old wholesome to heartfelt family videos and stuff, ngl, and then that cliffhanger, just ooof.
Plus, it's nice to see Shinei emotionally loosened up after the events from the previous episode. I'm glad that depth in his character was implemented so well.
The studio and staff TRULY care about this series a lot.
Jun 12, 2021 12:38 PM

Apr 2020
the only one good epsode in this anime
⬇ CLICK IT ⬇

⬆ CLICK IT ⬆
Jun 12, 2021 12:48 PM

Mar 2017
Wow! What can I say, another wonderful episode. First half was really calm but still had this heavy emotions underneath. And the last bit showing Fido's memory, made me tear up and cry more than I would've expected.
Jun 12, 2021 1:11 PM

Jul 2019
This episode was actually good, ok I like that. The outside world is interesting and Fido's experience was one of a kind, didn't look plastic, but that was a given due to 86's Girls' Last Tour moments.

Interested to see where this goes and ends off with.
Jun 12, 2021 1:42 PM

Jan 2020
Noooo, not Fido.. That ending was the last thing I could have expected. I liked the post credit scene because it shows how things evolved in 86, and how many people went down because of the Republic. Just like Raiden said, it feels like Shin is just ready to die since there's nothing left for him to do, but he also knows they can't go too far or escape the Legion for too long.

I wonder how much longer they'll last before they're caught or killed. I think the next episode will give us Lena's POV since it's the last episode.

I hate that this is ending and that we'll have to wait a couple of more months before we get the next season, but damn the A-1 Pictures outdid themselves and I look forward to more of it in the next season.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 12, 2021 1:43 PM
Sep 2020
já é o penúltimo sábado!!! Tomara que volte logo em outubro
Jun 12, 2021 1:51 PM

Mar 2014
Once again the staff is doing an amazing job, not only are they adapting the LN content accurately with beautiful direction and detail but they're also adding original scenes that elevate the LN material.

I loved the first half and seeing Shin smiling for once. They've all been through a lot, but they're free from the Republic. They're still in enemy territory of course, and the danger is always imminent but seeing them fishing, having a bath, joking with each other and sitting around the fire was heartwarming.

Fido's death was incredibly sad man, he has witnessed their whole lives in the 86 territory, they have all confided in him and he's been there for them all this time. Shin had an especially strong bond with him. It was really sad to see him go honestly. Shin carved a piece of him to carry with him, continuing his sad duty as the Undertaker and taking them all to their final destination T_T

The animation was also great, I admired the water detail, the scenery in general and the direction as well. Kudos to A-1!
Jun 12, 2021 1:54 PM

Dec 2010
Feels like urobochi wrote the story for this episode lol.
Jun 12, 2021 1:55 PM

Jul 2020
Damn Fido was there when Shin and his brother lived in the first district

Jun 12, 2021 2:54 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
A more laid-back episode this week.

A nice change of pace to sit back and watch the 86ers reminisce on their pasts, and the journey that lead to their present freedom.
Jun 12, 2021 2:56 PM

Jul 2014
Come on man, don't do this to me. This was being such a nice and relaxing episode until that emotional montage from Fido's POV that ended up being his life flashing before his eyes. So, what exactly was Fido? I didn't expect him to be part of Shin's life since he was a happy child and Annette's friend.

At least that montage gave us some super adorable Kurena moments <3. She truly is best girl! By the way, I didn't expect to see Kurena getting naked in that flower field xD.
SkyLETVJun 18, 2021 1:42 PM
Jun 12, 2021 3:02 PM

Sep 2018
SkyLETV said:
Come on man, don't do this to me. This was being such a nice and relaxing episode until that emotional montage from Fido's POV that ended up being his life flashing before his eyes. So, what exactly was Fido? I didn't expect him to be part of Shin's life since he was a happy child and Annette's friend.

At least that montage gave us some super adorable Kurena moments <3. She truly is best girl! By the way, did Kurena get naked when she jumped into the flower field? xD.

She totally did :-)

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 12, 2021 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
This anime tries to be so dramatic... And I can't get enough of it. The production on the last 2 episodes is just simply amazing. Who would've thought, that it could change so drastically in such a short time, from a confusing series with decent art style and plot, to a literal masterpiece. I feel the connection between all the 86, I could feel their emotions, I could feel their thought process, I could feel their wishes, their regrets, their mourning. Everything was shown in perfect style. This is the type of show that makes me get obsessed with it and crave new episodes each week.

This has the quality and style necessary to become one of my favorite series. If this keeps going on, of course, which might be hard for the Studio, but if they do manage to pull it off, then that's really crazy, and I'll make sure to give it the appreciation it demands :)

I'm looking forward to the last episode of this season.
removed-userJun 12, 2021 3:23 PM
Jun 12, 2021 3:22 PM

Jun 2017
Darn, rip Fido, not even he was safe despite being a robot.

If nobody told me this part was actually anime original I wouldn't even know because seeing this POV on the 86 side after last week's crazy farewell seemed to flow so naturally.
Jun 12, 2021 3:26 PM
Jun 2020
Did you guys notice the scene where shin, his brother & annette in fido's memories?
So the question is how does fido have that memory hmmm ? 🤔😆
Jun 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Dec 2016
I didn't expect to get some of Fido's backstory. The directing and anime-orignal content really add to the story.
Jun 12, 2021 3:33 PM

Apr 2018
Now this episode was amazing. Directing was nicely done and that after credit scene was a great a addition. RIP Fido tho :(
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Jun 12, 2021 4:01 PM
Feb 2021
I can't believe this show would be able to make me cry for a walking box robot. The final scenes from Fido POV with the song was so well done.
Jun 12, 2021 4:21 PM

Aug 2020
A different episode than the usual. Shin's crew was shown having their peace of mind for a couple of days. Little tasks like having fuel enough to take their bath seemed like nothing, compared to what they went through. But it was just a matter of time until the next Legion showed up.

Vladilena wasn't here in any moment, but I hope we'll see more of her in the next episode. Maybe it will be a rescue one. Let's see!

Jun 12, 2021 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
Turns out Fido was human once like those Legion drones.

Jun 12, 2021 4:56 PM

Nov 2015
No FIDO IN THE CHARACTERS LIST????

Someone needs to pay for this!
You cannot spell Light without L
Jun 12, 2021 5:03 PM
Nov 2015
Really good, solid episode.

It seems all the content here is anime-original, since volume 1 of the LN is already over.

If I'm being honest, I don't really get emotional when I watch this show. But, yeah, I cannot help but be blown away by the visuals and OST week after week.

That part with Anju breaking down from Fido's POV tho... such a nice addition.
BetoYeriExyJun 12, 2021 5:10 PM
Jun 12, 2021 5:25 PM

Jan 2014
This was a hard watch for many reasons. Not in a bad sense, but more that it makes me honestly scared for the next episode, and what it's possibly setting for oof.
Jun 12, 2021 6:20 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, fantastic episode. I actually enjoy watching these slice-of-life/daily interactions among the squad members more than any of the action scenes. This episode really highlights how much the squad members have been through together. I wouldn't have minded if this entire first season (or a later one) was focused on Shin meeting the other 86 when he was young and his journey to joining the Spearhead squadron instead, but I guess that's too much to ask for lol. Or maybe we'll have more glimpses of his past in a future season, if it exists in the novel.

But nooooo, Fido! I'm seriously in love with the directing of this show. The scenes from Fido's POV were mostly wholesome and funny, but the sad moments sprinkled in between got my mood in all sorts of places. Hope that one clip didn't just foreshadow Theo's death. Watching Anju cry is always sad. And interesting that there's a shot of young Shin with his brother and Annette. And it broke my heart with the last scene of Fido breaking down. Never thought I'd feel sad about a drone. The OST was perfect as well. This is definitely gearing up to be my AOTS, looking forward to how they're going to wrap the season up with the last episode next week.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 12, 2021 6:40 PM

Jun 2014
Props to the anime team, I think this is all 100% anime original and it complement the story perfectly. The shots with the fossil in the zoo are great and the placement of the song are on point as always.

Fido's part was also an amazing way to close the episode and show it's death. I really have to give it to A-1 for this adaptation.
Jun 12, 2021 6:45 PM
Apr 2021
when I complained about how poor the characterisation was, and then said there's no way they could ever fix it unless they dedicated an entire episode to characterisation - I never actually expected them to actually do it.

This is probably the best episode so far. No dumb racism that doesn't make any sense. No stupid fights with their poor direction. No random BS that is never explained - just character and world building.

Honestly, hats off to them for surprising us with such a good episode. As much as I would have liked them to have crafted a bit more character development rather than just adding more characterisation, what they did is above and beyond any levels of characterisation we've seen so far. For the first time, I finally was able to understand the main 5 characters, their motivations, and their place within the story perfectly.

My only gripe is more of a personal one, I feel like the music at the end detracted from the recorded footage. I would have preferred it to either be entirely silent, or maybe a quiet piano playing underneath. The music was just so loud and showy and I don't think it matched the tone of the flashbacks.
Jun 12, 2021 6:49 PM
Apr 2021
spooky07 said:

ngl I really hated that.
not everything has to be connected. I liked the idea that Fido slowly gained sentience as he slowly watched all his human friends die off. But suggesting that Anette's father may have designed him and he somehow coincidentally got reunited with Shin just kind of ruins it for me. Coincidental storytelling is just the worst
Jun 12, 2021 6:50 PM
Apr 2021
borderliner said:
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die....

Did Fido dream of electric sheep?

underrated comment of the year
Jun 12, 2021 6:51 PM

Dec 2020
one question, why everywhere else is deserted? like where did the people go? if this wasn't mentioned yet, don't spoil for me pls
Jun 12, 2021 7:04 PM
Dec 2007
Will_do_it_later said:
one question, why everywhere else is deserted? like where did the people go? if this wasn't mentioned yet, don't spoil for me pls
There's no people because they're in Legion conquered territory. Everyone who lived there is long dead
Jun 12, 2021 7:35 PM

Dec 2020
GGcc78 said:
Will_do_it_later said:
There's no people because they're in Legion conquered territory. Everyone who lived there is long dead

but I thought the legion was operated by ppl in the other kingdom, that is why I am confused
Jun 12, 2021 7:40 PM
Dec 2007
Will_do_it_later said:
GGcc78 said:

but I thought the legion was operated by ppl in the other kingdom, that is why I am confused
I think this was mentioned in the season but I'll spoiler it in case
Jun 12, 2021 8:01 PM

Jun 2019
Beautiful episode. I was satisfied with the episode even before we got the Fido part, and that made it so much better. Such a great us of flashbacks to accentuate the losses and showing Fido’s relationship to the squad, only to rip our hearts out with its death in a teaser for what might end up being most of their final battles. Great stuff.
Jun 12, 2021 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
fido, nooooooooooo :(

the flashback was just cruel, i knew beforehand that something bad was about to happen, and i hate being right on those times...

the episode was about to be at least a bit wholesome regarding everything that happened so far but, damn, leave at least the robodog out of this, come on!

but yeah, this series is seriously growing on every episode, just awesome, one of my favorites this season, too bad is ending the first cour on the next episode
"I feel alive cause I'm a loser today and so I'll be tomorrow
I feel insane but that's my nature and I'll never change for your better
Behind the veil there is a lunatic with his out of tune emotions
Madness saved me from all of your average lies - average lies"
Jun 12, 2021 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Seeing Shin laughing that much was serene and unsettling at the same time. A little more serene though as he finally got his closure.

The latter part of the episode beautiful and sad at the same time. Amazing to see the rest of the gang from Fido's point of view. RIP Fido. 😢
Jun 12, 2021 8:34 PM
Feb 2017
theGodde said:

ngl I really hated that.
not everything has to be connected. I liked the idea that Fido slowly gained sentience as he slowly watched all his human friends die off. But suggesting that Anette's father may have designed him and he somehow coincidentally got reunited with Shin just kind of ruins it for me. Coincidental storytelling is just the worst

I guess in the version you suggested, the question remains of why the other scavengers didn't gain sentience over the course of all those 9 years, if your explanation is because Fido was near Shin, the question again arises as to why didn't the other scavengers near him gain that sentience.

Well, if we take that Fido was present in Shin's childhood, the question again comes that how could it have become a scavenger in the first case, then after meeting Shin, it followed him and completed his orders because it was capable of doing that. Both have their questions that couldn't be answered right away imo. For me it's more of a pick which version you want, and the anime picked the latter one.
kuu0hakuJun 12, 2021 8:37 PM
Jun 12, 2021 8:56 PM

Dec 2020
GGcc78 said:
Will_do_it_later said:

I think this was mentioned in the season but I'll spoiler it in case

thanks, it make sense now
Jun 12, 2021 9:00 PM
Mar 2015
Poor Fido He was with them from the beginning watching out for them Now he is gone
Jun 12, 2021 9:05 PM
Apr 2021
kuu0haku said:
theGodde said:

ngl I really hated that.

I guess in the version you suggested, the question remains of why the other scavengers didn't gain sentience over the course of all those 9 years, if your explanation is because Fido was near Shin, the question again arises as to why didn't the other scavengers near him gain that sentience.

Well, if we take that Fido was present in Shin's childhood, the question again comes that how could it have become a scavenger in the first case, then after meeting Shin, it followed him and completed his orders because it was capable of doing that. Both have their questions that couldn't be answered right away imo. For me it's more of a pick which version you want, and the anime picked the latter one.
with the question of why other scavengers don't gain sentience, the fact is we have never seen any other scavengers up close, so we have no idea either way. It's ambiguous, like how with star wars artoo is most certainly sentient. But at the same time, quite often you will see other droids that show little flickers of sentience. You don't need to know for sure whether the other droids are sentient

the reason why I prefer the version I described is because it gets rid of that coincidence storytelling. It's just bad storytelling to have him meet a robot that he has a past history with even though there are probably hundreds of different scavenger mechs out there.
also by making him be created by the top science guy it kind of reduces how unique Fido is. He was just built different to the other ones. Whereas if his sentience is some kind of glitch or quirk in his system, it makes him unique and special in a completely organic way. It also kind of says something about the republic tech, how he can deviate from his programming so much. It's just charming world building, as opposed to coincidence storytelling where everyone knew everyone from the past and everyone is special in some way.

But in the end this is probably just reading too much into the episode. I'm guessing the director just put that in because he wanted to tie Anette into the characters and story more. I didn't even notice it. I saw it pointed out and had to go back and revisit the episode
Jun 12, 2021 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
Wonderful anime original episode. Fido's point of view was really interesting. But sad at the same time...
This show kept very high quality until now. I'm curious the conclusion of first season right now.
Jun 12, 2021 9:27 PM

Jul 2016
Nothing much to say. Basically an episode focused on the Spearhead group experiencing "freedom" after leaving San Magnolia's territories. Not gonna lie, it felt slightly boring and kinda shallow but guess it couldn't be helped since, based on other people's comments, it was 95% anime-original content. Sequence with Fido's recordings was a nice addition tho.
Jun 12, 2021 9:29 PM

Sep 2011
That last montage has me all kinds of fucked up. I didn't know how these last two episodes were gonna go but that was fantastic
Jun 12, 2021 9:34 PM
Feb 2017
theGodde said:

the reason why I prefer the version I described is because it gets rid of that coincidence storytelling. It's just bad storytelling to have him meet a robot that he has a past history with even though there are probably hundreds of different scavenger mechs out there.

This is quite unlikely I accept.

theGodde said:
Whereas if his sentience is some kind of glitch or quirk in his system
But this is also equally unlikely imo. Which was why to me both had flaws, and whichever the anime went with, was acceptable to me. I guess I can only agree to disagree here.
Jun 12, 2021 9:37 PM

Jun 2020
Nooooooooooo not my telephone service provider!

Tbh kind of had a feeling Fido was going to get destroyed but still very sad.
Jun 12, 2021 9:38 PM

Dec 2020
Squad finally able to catch some breather and get small taste of freedom but knew they were never safe. Endured this far only for their hopeless future. Cliffhangers, I'm ready.
Jun 12, 2021 10:22 PM

Oct 2008
S2 here we go!..oh there's 1 more ep left...how lame am i...

Jun 12, 2021 10:23 PM
Mar 2021
Lscala said:
I wouldn´t ever taught that Fido was going to be an interesting character
Fido is hilarious and expressive even in the novel and he appears more often too!
Jun 12, 2021 10:24 PM
Mar 2021
Fortress_Maximus said:
00:00 The atmosphere is just so tranquil and serene.
04:05 These lines hurt so much "the last people left alive" 😭
08:12 They had their childhood robbed, their humanity robbed.
08:41 Also a glimpse of what Giad looks like with the tattered coat of arms bearing the double-headed eagle.
14:00 Shin shoots the 86 brain inside the Löwe. Cut to a shot of an elephant skeleton. His comrades contemplate their destinies. Completely decomposed, an indication of how long it's been...
16:41 Fido's POV. Kurena's infatuation with Shin. Fido flicking the synthetic ration away (vol. 1 ch. 1) was animated.
23:09 Aww Rei, Shin and Annette together. NO WHYYYY???? RIP Fido
Your banner signature is a huge spoiler...
Jun 12, 2021 10:28 PM
Mar 2021
spooky07 said:

Holy sheet htf I missed that scene?! At what duration was that?
Jun 12, 2021 10:32 PM
Mar 2021
Piromysl said:
Turns out Fido was human once like those Legion drones.
Probably Shin's pet dog. You don't noticed there's a hole on the skull on an animal in zoo? Legion used animal brain for support non-combat robot.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.