Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 10, 2021 8:09 PM

Feb 2018
I don't want to make the same mistake with Unicorn. I read somewhere that I didn't have to watch anything before it yet I didn't understand a single thing or get into the story. Are the MSG compilation movies enough?
Jun 10, 2021 8:37 PM

Dec 2017
0079 summary movies > chars counterattack > hathaways flash, if you really can't wait to watch this movie.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jun 10, 2021 9:04 PM

Sep 2015
Vague0 said:
0079 summary movies > chars counterattack > hathaways flash, if you really can't wait to watch this movie.

So I dont need to watch Zeta and can just skip to CCA? (I got halfway and couldn't stand it)
Jun 10, 2021 9:52 PM
Jan 2019
You SHOULD watch Zeta and Double Zeta if you want to have a full understanding of what's going on but 0079 and CCA should give you a good enough idea.
Jun 11, 2021 9:21 AM
Jan 2019
I know my Gundam UC lol but these questions are always hard to answer. If you REALLY want to watch this as it comes out you can go 0079 Recap Movies - CCA - Hathaway. However I think there is no need to rush. I think it's a good idea to take this route: 0079 TV - The Origin - Zeta - CCA - Unicorn - Hathaway. I didn't include ZZ cause I think it is shit and nothing of relevance really happens but you can give it a try if you want and hopefully you'll like it more than I did. That would give you a more complete experience. I also advice to watch Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky and War in the Pocket. These are not essential as they are standalone side stories of 0079 with no direct connection to the main UC plot but they are incredibly good, you can watch them anytime and and would give you a better perspective of the bleak tragedy and massive scale of the Gundam UC universe, hopefully making you more invested in the struggles and resentments that Hathaway develops.
MordredEXJun 11, 2021 9:25 AM
Jun 11, 2021 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
If you are in a hurry :

0079 trilogy -> CCA -> Hathaway

If you want to do the classic road :

0079 -> Zeta -> ZZ (yeah its not that good and its probably the one you can skip) -> CCA -> Unicorn ->Hathaway
Jun 11, 2021 11:51 AM

Dec 2017
The quickest way:
79' movies trilogy >> Zeta >> CCA >> Hathaway
And if you have more time:
The Origin >> 79 'trilogy >> Zeta >> CCA >> Unicorn >> Hathaway
I honestly do not recommend ZZ.

Jun 14, 2021 8:15 AM

Nov 2016
What about NT? The entry is between Unicorn and Hathaway. Required to watch? Good to have seen before? Or is it just listed because something something chronological order?

@Theo1899
@Atlos

Good to know, thanks
FMmatronJun 14, 2021 8:20 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 14, 2021 8:17 AM

Jun 2016
FMmatron said:
What about NT? The entry is between Unicorn and Hathaway. Required to watch? Good to have seen before? Or is it just listed because something something chronological order ?

NT is a pile of garbage that should be avoided at all costs.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 14, 2021 8:18 AM

Aug 2018
FMmatron said:
What about NT? The entry is between Unicorn and Hathaway. Required to watch? Good to have seen before? Or is it just listed because something something chronological order?
While I haven't seen the film yet I am 99% sure that you don't have too watch them because unicorn and NT focus on a different set of characters and the novel for hathaway's flash was made before unicorn and NT
Theo1899 said:
FMmatron said:
What about NT? The entry is between Unicorn and Hathaway. Required to watch? Good to have seen before? Or is it just listed because something something chronological order ?

^ this
AtlosJun 14, 2021 8:22 AM
_______I like rocks__
Jun 14, 2021 8:35 AM
Dec 2018
FMmatron said:

@Theo1899
@Atlos

Good to know, thanks

You just need to watch zeta and unicorn (so you actually need to see the rest because of unicorn) to understand NT, and even if it's one of the worst gundam in UC, i don't think it's that bad, it's probably even better than ZZ.
Jun 14, 2021 8:37 AM

Nov 2016
Noponleon said:
FMmatron said:

@Theo1899
@Atlos

Good to know, thanks

You just need to watch zeta and unicorn (so you need to see the rest because of unicorn) to understand NT, and even if it's probably one of the worst gundam in UC, i don't think it's that bad, it's probably even better than ZZ.

I liked ZZ quite a bit, honestly more than Zeta, so maybe I should check out NT after all...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 14, 2021 9:31 AM

Dec 2017
ZZ and NT have questionable quality (both with less than 7 rank points, coincidence? I don't think so), so you better not see them

Jun 14, 2021 6:16 PM

Oct 2010
Theo1899 said:
FMmatron said:

Don't take the quoted as fact, it's just an opinion. NT is watchable enough.
Jun 17, 2021 11:31 PM

Apr 2016
I don't get the ZZ hate. Feels like most people never watched it and are just regurgitating a meme. ZZ is good, it's just that the first 15 episodes are a breather of comedy (which was good!), after that it goes back to being pretty much more Zeta.

You don't really need to watch anything before this movie. You just need to know that pretty much every faction in the setting is evil.

If you do want to watch stuff before this movie, watch the MSG movies > Zeta > ZZ > CCA.
Jun 23, 2021 8:39 AM

May 2017
There's 2 routes.

The quick route: 0079 movie trilogy > Char's Counterattack > Hathaway

The most common route: 0079 movies/TV show > Zeta > Char's Counterattack > Hathaway. ZZ's not connected to Hathaway or anything here other than Zeta. Bear in mind Char's Counterattack works far better when you've seen Zeta, the character arcs reach a very satisfying point if you've been exposed to Amuro and Char more.

If you really wanna be punctual about it though: 0079 > Zeta > ZZ > Char's Counterattack > Unicorn > Narrative > Hathaway.

The thing is though is Unicorn while taking place before Hathaway it has nothing to do with Hathaway's plot or characters. Hathaway is in every sense a sequel to the EVENTS of Char's Counterattack but takes place after Unicorn in chronology. Narrative is a standalone follow-up to Unicorn, it also has no bearing on Hathaway's plot. So really the "common route" I specified is the best way to be thoroughly prepared for Hathaway.

ZZ is optional because it has literally zero bearing on Char's Counterattack and more on Zeta and Unicorn (ZZ only characters literally never appear in CCA). It shouldn't necessarily be skipped but if you're feeling burnt out on UC TV Gundam (93 episodes is a bit after all) don't force yourself to watch ZZ straight away. It should however be considered to watch before Unicorn because Unicorn is the only entry that addresses some plot lines from ZZ.
Atelier_WeissJun 23, 2021 8:52 AM
Jun 24, 2021 11:08 PM

May 2018
Just watch the 0079 movie trilogy and then Char's counterattack, you don't need to watch anything else.

Don't even try to watch ZZ or NT, I don't know why someone would recomend to watch them.

Jul 1, 2021 6:20 PM

Feb 2012
Bare Minimum: MSG Movie Trilogy and Char's Counterattack, all are available on Netflix like this movie

Better Context: MSG TV series, Zeta,then Char's Counterattack

Zeta is only legally available in the west but on Blu-ray but it adds a lot to the political background of CCA and Hathaway.

Edit: Zeta's now available on Funimation
Fortress_MaximusMar 27, 2022 2:28 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 2, 2021 2:20 AM
Jul 2015
Can't I watch the movie without watching the older content? I seen the trilogy movies but I don't remember much about it. I think I got the point about them but haven't seen those movies in a long time. This movie looks pretty good and I wanna know if I would still enjoy it if I don't have that much knowledge of the older storys?
Jul 2, 2021 7:03 AM

Aug 2013
Stevewonder07 said:
Can't I watch the movie without watching the older content? I seen the trilogy movies but I don't remember much about it. I think I got the point about them but haven't seen those movies in a long time. This movie looks pretty good and I wanna know if I would still enjoy it if I don't have that much knowledge of the older storys?

To put this into context, Hathaway's Flash is a sequel to Char's Counterattack, which is a sequel to ZZ/Zeta, which is a sequel to the original 0079. You can certainly jump into this cold turkey if you really wanted to and you can surely enjoy it for what you're seeing but there will 100% be things from a narrative perspective that will go over your head and 100% be things that won't hit you as hard or at all because you don't have the implications or gravity of the previous works to draw upon. If you're looking to get the most out of this film and enjoy it for what it was intended to be, I would recommend watching the necessary works/prequels if not for the connections to this film then because Universal Century Gundam is one of the greatest stories in anime ever penned imo and they're great.

If you're in the absolute biggest of rushes then 0079 summary movies>Zeta>CCA>Hathaway's Flash

If you want to get the full flavor/impact and want to run through the meat of early UC leading up to this film (imo please do because it's worth it) you want to watch: 0079 (the series not the trilogy films which imo are a neat effort but still inferior content-wise to the series)>Stardust Memory (bridges together 0079 and Zeta, setting up for the Titans of Zeta perfectly)>Zeta>ZZ (the first handful of episodes are a little rough which is why it gets so much flak but once you push through the opening stanzas it falls more in line with the quality of its predecessors)>Char's Counterattack (the grand finale of early UC, one of the greatest anime works of all time and probably the most relevant to Hathaway's Flash)>Gundam Unicorn (the epilogue to Char's Counterattack)>Hathaway's Flash (Tomino's end of the epilogue and the bridge between early and late UC in the timeline).

Aqua023 said:
The quickest way:
79' movies trilogy >> Zeta >> CCA >> Hathaway
And if you have more time:
The Origin >> 79 'trilogy >> Zeta >> CCA >> Unicorn >> Hathaway
I honestly do not recommend ZZ.

I would honestly recommend against suggesting the Origin as anything more than a cool, alternate retelling of events. It drastically rewrites the personalities of some characters which imo detracts from the main body works. Zeon Deikun's character is heavily assassinated/marginalized in episode 1 which in turn/by extension hurts the reliability of Char Aznable's considering where his journey as a character takes/lands him. It reinforces a perspective that's a little more black and white versus the philosophically charged gray that Tomino created. It's really good as a reimagining in its own right but shouldn't be recommended as part of the actual UC canon imo.
Champloo_RemixJul 2, 2021 7:15 AM
Jul 2, 2021 7:21 AM

Jun 2015
Don't think Unicorn is necessary, despite happening in-between chronologically speaking seems completely irrelevant to this.

0079->Zeta->ZZ[arguably optional, but closes some things from Zeta]->CCA->This
Jul 3, 2021 4:46 PM

Aug 2013
Unowen said:
Don't think Unicorn is necessary, despite happening in-between chronologically speaking seems completely irrelevant to this.

I guess you're right coming from a standpoint of watching just enough to get Hathaway's Flash but imo if you want the fuller/richer experience you watch ZZ, Unicorn and Stardust Memory for context. It adds to the emotional investment, gravity, and world-building. As a viewer that's been on that journey you feel the full brunt of Hathaway's Flash aside from just understanding what's going on/getting the callbacks and references imo. Imo aside from understanding what's going on it's also understanding the relevant events/history enough to feel how heavy the implications are.
Jul 3, 2021 5:02 PM

Jun 2015
Champloo_Remix said:
Unowen said:

I guess you're right coming from a standpoint of watching just enough to get Hathaway's Flash but imo if you want the fuller/richer experience you watch ZZ, Unicorn and Stardust Memory for context. It adds to the emotional investment, gravity, and world-building. As a viewer that's been on that journey you feel the full brunt of Hathaway's Flash aside from just understanding what's going on/getting the callbacks and references imo. Imo aside from understanding what's going on it's also understanding the relevant events/history enough to feel how heavy the implications are.
It's less about that and the fact the Hathaway novel got published between 1989 and 1990, while the Unicorn one between 2006 and 2016. There's no way it will reference or build upon anything from Unicorn, and considering how self-contained all that shit was, probably for the better. Also I agree, I would recommend ZZ if you were able to make it through Zeta in the first place, it's largely the same.
Jul 3, 2021 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
Unowen said:
Champloo_Remix said:

It's less about that and the fact the Hathaway novel got published between 1989 and 1990, while the Unicorn one between 2006 and 2016. There's no way it will reference or build upon anything from Unicorn, and considering how self-contained all that shit was, probably for the better. Also I agree, I would recommend ZZ if you were able to make it through Zeta in the first place, it's largely the same.

I would both agree and disagree with you. Firstly, I wouldn't advertise ZZ being largely the same as Zeta in tone at least. I liked ZZ and am in that minority of fans I guess but even after it gets past its slow start and picks up it still thematically and in its ambiance feels very different from Zeta. Judau Ashta is so very different from Kamille Bidan and the plot reflects that imo.

I will say that I don't really agree that Unicorn is self-contained at all either. The whole thing in and of itself is HEAVILY rooted in the events of Char's Counterattack. In fact, episode of the OVA is a callback and highly dependent on the viewer having seen prior events to fully understand the gravity of what's going on. The One Year War, Gryps Conflict, both Neo Zeon Wars have extremely prominent footholds in the story and lore and there's an entire episode that happens at the Torrington Base from Stardust Memory. You can come into it blind and understand what you're seeing but perhaps not what it means is what I'm getting at if that makes sense. You are right in that Hathway's Flash won't reference anything directly to Unicorn what Unicorn gives as food for thought on the state of the Federation, the progeny of Zeon Deikun's philosophy, Char Aznable, and taking the events of Unicorn into account when watching HF through that lens, measuring it to Mafty and this current affair is enough for me to think of it.

That being said I will concede that out of any of preceding addition there are reasons to leave Unicorn out and go from CCA to Hathaway's Flash. Admittedly, the biggest one being that it's not written by Tomino so Hathaway's Flash is sort of the "more canon" epilogue piece if one retcons the other/push comes to shove.

I will say that I feel like it's an absolute crime to not follow up CCA with Unicorn though. If CCA is the finale to early UC, Unicorn is the most perfect epilogue to that partition of the story I can imagine and me being completely biased it's not only imo one of the greatest Gundam pieces ever produced but it's one of the greatest anime pieces of all time as well. It's so organically connected to and builds so pristinely off of CCA and puts the stamp on the story that started in 0079. People that haven't read HF/anime only's will also see that HF is one of Tomino's best efforts as well.
Jul 5, 2021 12:40 PM

Feb 2018
Dang, this is linked to Unicorn? I just watched this movie and was amazing. I felt like was a new universe or something.

I haven't watched any of those you are mentioning, just the first episode of Unicorn which I felt it was garbage in story terms and pacing.
Jul 5, 2021 1:24 PM

Feb 2018
Vague0 said:

By 0079 summary movies do you mean the ones found in Netflix?
Jul 5, 2021 5:25 PM

Aug 2013
BiobulletM said:
Vague0 said:

Yes those would be the same movies in question. The summary movies slightly change the continuity and order of events though so just be aware of that. Imo the series is the safer, more thorough option, the films while done excellently in their own right are just faster for convenience's sake (although the new footage is rather cool at times especially the bits between Char and Lalah).

BiobulletM said:
Dang, this is linked to Unicorn? I just watched this movie and was amazing. I felt like was a new universe or something.

I haven't watched any of those you are mentioning, just the first episode of Unicorn which I felt it was garbage in story terms and pacing.

Here's the thing. If you really don't like Unicorn you can easily skip it without repercussions in regards to watching Hathaway's Flash. Hathway's Flash will not even remotely reference Unicorn but Unicorn will help your contextualization of it and more importantly the UC imo. For example, Unicorn serves as this grandiose epilogue to the finale that was Char's Counterattack. It calls upon a vast majority of the UC Gundam pieces before it to build up to a climactic, optimistic ending for that part of the story. One of the ways having seen it contextualize Hathaway's Flash that happens a few years after is this: Hathaway's Flash serves as the final early UC piece and the BRIDGE between early and late UC. To go from the optimistic ending of Unicorn and to dissolve into this slowly approaching bleakness being established in HF serves as foreshadowing to the tragedy and bleakness, the shift in environment from a writer's perspective to late UC. The jump from Unicorn and to see how ultimately things didn't change in the way the viewer had hoped by the time of Hathaway's Flash is powerful in and of itself and speaks volumes to the direction of the way the world is now being built. It is quite the curveball to a first time viewer and an ambitious advance as far as the progression of the overarching story is concerned. I understand the notion of different strokes for different folks but it's crazy to me that there are people that can call Unicorn bad with a straight face but hey people like different things lol.

Long story short, if you REALLY feel the need to skip Unicorn and more importantly don't enjoy it then go ahead and skip it. In the grander scheme of things its much more important that you've seen the Tomino-penned/directed UC works that take place before Hathaway's Flash. So make sure you at the *very* least see 0079, Zeta, ZZ and then CCA.
Champloo_RemixJul 5, 2021 5:29 PM
Jul 6, 2021 3:04 PM
Jan 2019
BiobulletM said:
Vague0 said:

This is the Universal century timeline the original and longest timeline in Gundam with over 16 entries in the timeline. A quick google search will make you find the timeline in order. I'd go release order over chronologically but you can put "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" after 0079 since it's the same cast as 0079 so they are fresh in your mind, i'd recommend the TV series over the 3 movies of 0079.

Late UC stuff like Unicorn or F91 is pretty incomprehensible to someone whos not familiar with the setting.
Jul 6, 2021 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
Tilse said:
BiobulletM said:

This is the Universal century timeline the original and longest timeline in Gundam with over 16 entries in the timeline. A quick google search will make you find the timeline in order. I'd go release order over chronologically but you can put "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" after 0079 since it's the same cast as 0079 so they are fresh in your mind, i'd recommend the TV series over the 3 movies of 0079.

Late UC stuff like Unicorn or F91 is pretty incomprehensible to someone whos not familiar with the setting.

It's been so long since I've last watched F91 but does it really reference early UC? I don't remember it relying all that heavily on it at least directly. I remember it being more of like "wow using early UC to put things in perspective this is really depressing".

Also tbh this is just me being a stickler but if I were advising a first time watcher I would stay away from the Origin until after you've completed the main Tomino works of early UC (save it for at least after you've finished CCA imo). The Origin is fun for us fans but it isn't canon and for good reason. It isn't a remake or prequel in the traditional sense and it is a "reimagining" in every sense. Philosophically it's out of character imo with Tomino's vision of the events that occur as well as the portrayal of the characters. I felt it was pretty drastic. Yasuhiko in some instances had a very different opinion on who the characters are. Char Aznable and almost more importantly Zeon Deikun are portrayed very differently (the latter more than the former even) through the eyes of Yasuhiko versus Tomino's original story. It's subtle but drastic at the same time. The marginalization of Zeon Deikun as an overworked, rambling loon in the very first episode immediately sets precedence and is a metaphor for what Yasuhiko's take is on the politics and philosophy versus Tomino's and it essentially makes for a somewhat more black-and-white story versus the abstract Tomino "grayness" he's done so well. Which isn't inherently bad I suppose depending on who you ask but imo Tomino's take on the events and characters are a lot richer on paper and as the story unfolds (because Origin does in fact look really good visually). Idk. As long as he's doing a straight shot of early UC to catch up to Hathaway's Flash I think it's a better idea to save The Origin for later. I
Jul 16, 2021 2:25 AM

Jul 2017
Guys I'm just kind of lost, everyone keeps mentioning "0079 summary movies" but I can't find any of them on MAL, I just don't know what to look for. Could anyone give me the full names of those movies just so I can find them?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2021 2:28 AM

Jul 2017
I think I found them on netflix actually. Mobile suit Gundam I, MSG II Soldiers of Sorrow and MSG III Encounters in Space?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2021 11:33 PM
Jul 2021
Your going to absolutely hate this but you need to watch the following:

MSG Origin I- VI
MSG movies I, II, III
MSG 0080 War in the pocket
MSG 08th MS Team
MSG 0083 Stardust Memory
Z Gundam (watch the series not the movies)
MSG ZZ
MSG Chars Counterattack
MSG Unicorn
MSG NT

Now you may proceed to Hathaways Flash, F91, and V Gundam
Jul 19, 2021 12:15 AM

Aug 2013
Gundam55 said:

MSG Origin I- VI
MSG movies I, II, III
MSG 08th MS Team
MSG 0083 Stardust Memory
MSG ZZ
MSG Chars Counterattack
MSG Unicorn
MSG NT

Origin is an alternate retelling but what does War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team add to the overall story that makes them required? Don't get me wrong both are great but as far as *needing* to watch them before HF or even the notion that either of them add anything tangible to it I don't see it. Same goes for NT? Idk if I understand your list of recs lol.
Jul 19, 2021 4:06 AM
Jul 2021
Champloo_Remix said:
Gundam55 said:

MSG Origin I- VI
MSG movies I, II, III
MSG 08th MS Team
MSG 0083 Stardust Memory
MSG ZZ
MSG Chars Counterattack
MSG Unicorn
MSG NT

Origin is an alternate retelling but what does War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team add to the overall story that makes them required? Don't get me wrong both are great but as far as *needing* to watch them before HF or even the notion that either of them add anything tangible to it I don't see it. Same goes for NT? Idk if I understand your list of recs lol.

I think it's good to get an overall feel for the story so though 0080 and 08th are side stories they are important to understanding the whole cup instead of half. As for both Unicorn and NT (newtype bs), the only reason I even brought those up is so that people know why psycho frames are no longer in use in the late uc.
Jul 28, 2021 12:20 PM

Feb 2018
Ok. I watched 6 episodes of the first series. I can see the historic value and why I was a well regarded... for its time.

But I didn't hook me, and I'll try the movies instead, but might as well drop those.

Aug 13, 2021 4:28 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
No skipping ZZ, okay?
Aug 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Apr 2019
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam NT
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash 3
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Aug 21, 2021 4:08 AM

Jan 2013
ProxyLain said:
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam NT
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash 3
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

LeonhartAugust said:
No skipping ZZ, okay?

Low effort trolling.
Sep 23, 2021 1:36 PM
Oct 2020
At Least Char´s counterattack

But if you want to feel comfortable enough, you should try the 3 Gundam summary movies, then Char´s counterattack, and immediately you can watch the Hathaway saga.
Oct 5, 2021 4:45 AM
May 2013
BiobulletM said:
Ok. I watched 6 episodes of the first series. I can see the historic value and why I was a well regarded... for its time.

But I didn't hook me, and I'll try the movies instead, but might as well drop those.

I read the manga instead. No regrets, recommend everyone to do the same.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/214/Kidou_Senshi_Gundam__The_Origin

Noped at the first two minutes of the recap movies.
Zeta is already hard enough to watch as it is...
YamashitaRenOct 5, 2021 5:06 AM
Dec 23, 2021 11:59 PM

May 2015
Can I skip Zeta and ZZ?
My plan is the trilogy movies > CCA > Unicorn > Hathaway.
Is this enough? They are all in Netflix, so it's easy to watch. Zeta and ZZ I couldn't find anywhere.
Dec 24, 2021 12:02 AM

Oct 2017
anikevin said:
Can I skip Zeta and ZZ?
My plan is the trilogy movies > CCA > Unicorn > Hathaway.
Is this enough? They are all in Netflix, so it's easy to watch. Zeta and ZZ I couldn't find anywhere.

Char obviously is an important character in CCA and CCA is important to Hathaway. I would at least watch Zeta since it's important series for his character and Amuro (MC of both CCA and the original series/film trilogy). ZZ wraps up plot lines from Zeta but it's not as directly important since there aren't as many reoccurring characters from past titles.

Zeta and ZZ aren't really available for legal streaming. At least anywhere I know of. You are going to have to either buy the BDs or just stream it from a illegal site. Netflix needs to get around to getting them.
Dec 24, 2021 12:22 AM

May 2015
BilboBaggins365 said:

Char obviously is an important character in CCA and CCA is important to Hathaway. I would at least watch Zeta since it's important series for his character and Amuro (MC of both CCA and the original series/film trilogy). ZZ wraps up plot lines from Zeta but it's not as directly important since there aren't as many reoccurring characters from past titles.

Zeta and ZZ aren't really available for legal streaming. At least anywhere I know of. You are going to have to either buy the BDs or just stream it from a illegal site. Netflix needs to get around to getting them.

Thanks.
How is this story line related to Gundam The Origin Advent of the Red Comet TV series? I'm asking because I remember Char's backstory from there. Was it canon?
Dec 24, 2021 1:13 AM

Oct 2017
anikevin said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

Thanks.
How is this story line related to Gundam The Origin Advent of the Red Comet TV series? I'm asking because I remember Char's backstory from there. Was it canon?

It's basically the prequel parts of the Origin manga. The Origin Manga is basically a reinterpretation of the original series. It doesn't deviate that drastically (there are few small things like the Zaku not being the first "true" mobile suit). Sunrise has a stance that basically anything animated is canon so I would say yes.

Edit: Also I know you probably are going to do a bare minimum watch of UC but I would still highly recommend watching a lot of the One Year War side story shows. MS Team, War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt. They are some of the better UC stuff in my personal opinion and good standalone stories that are set during and shortly after the original show.

Edit 2: Also since I forgot you mentioned you were going to watch Unicorn just a bit of extra info. You still very much can understand the plot and everything going on by just simply watching MSG 0079>Zeta>CCA>Unicorn. That said Unicorn has a few characters whose significance will only be kinda relevant if you have also seen ZZ. One major and one minor character specifically don't remember if there was anything else outside of that. ZZ has a few issues especially early on if you are coming off Zeta where it tries to be really happy go lucky which is really jarring. By the mid point it goes back to the type of tone you expect from Gundam. Still it does resolve plot points in Zeta that are going to be left up in the air by the end. So just something to keep in mind. Even though I don't really like ZZ I still do recommend most to at least give it a go. If you are fine with how Zeta ends and don't care about some of the references in Unicorn though you can skip it.
BilboBaggins365Dec 24, 2021 1:44 AM
Jan 19, 2022 3:09 PM

Jun 2012
tbh I think its fine as a stand alone. But Ive watched nearly all the Gundam series.
Apr 28, 2022 5:25 PM

Mar 2021
I am going to be bluntly honest, if you are not well versed into Gundam, this movie will feel as trash as Gundam NT to you. A movie of this animation quality should be low to mid 8's on mal, and 8's on imdb. But it is 7's on mal, and 6's on imdb,

If you just want too see pretty animation, just watch it and forget about it afterwards. If you want to enjoy it, 79 series > zeta series > cca, or bust. You might be able to get away without zeta series, but please don't skip 79 series. Problem is 79 and zeta will objectively feel like trash if seen to any modern anime viewers.

The 79 compilation movies are not good. They cut out a ton of fight scenes, jump everywhere in place. zeta at least got saved with good animation for the compilation movies.

fyi, it is going to get worse if you want to enjoy stuff like build since they reference the entire franchise so you need to see almost all uc and aus, esp seed, wing, g gundam, 00. If you aren't willing to put series hours. I don't recommending getting into Gundam. We have too many toxic ibo fanatics.
Apr 3, 2023 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
Does Unicon make sense without ZZ?
I am watching Origin > 0079 Trilogy > (Thunderbolt) > 0083 > Z (full series) > Unicorn > Hathaway
Apr 17, 2023 1:07 AM

Dec 2015
revengerofdeath said:
Does Unicon make sense without ZZ?
I am watching Origin > 0079 Trilogy > (Thunderbolt) > 0083 > Z (full series) > Unicorn > Hathaway
The novelist behind Unicorn was a Gundam ZZ fanatic so he recycles things from it, notably a character whose origin is found in the ZZ series.

By the way, there's no "need" to watch 0083 to go into Z (sure, it's a "prequel" but it's more busy with itself than with setting up Zeta) or Unicorn to go into Hathaway's film (they're entirely unrelated). There is, on the other hand, an important piece you're missing to make sense of Unicorn or Hathaway"s Flash: Char's Counterattack.

Also, worth mentioning since you seem to be interested in side stories: 0080 is pretty nice.

Jul 15, 2023 12:54 PM
Jun 2017
0079 > Zeta > ZZ (important for unicorn IIRC) > CCA > Unicorn > Narrative (yes i like this movie) > hathaway
Fire Emblem anime when

More topics from this board

» UC is over?

LegionOne - Apr 28, 2023

11 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

EasyGo-er - Jun 13, 2021

78 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:50 AM

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Champloo_Remix »»
Aug 8, 2023 10:03 AM

» Did I ruin anything

Reshiram_IX - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Reshiram_IX »»
Jan 16, 2023 11:12 AM

» This looks so good

Ronninn - Sep 25, 2022

2 by ecliptyk »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.