New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 18, 2022 7:12 PM

Dec 2020
not a fan of him at allll but not to the extent that i Hate him ig
Jan 19, 2022 1:36 PM
Aug 2016
axquilt said:

I keep seeing mixed opinions on Takemichi so I made this topic to see what people think of him. I'm really curious to what y'all have to say about him.

I personally think Takemichi is a badass MC.
I HATE crybaby Shounen MCs because they usually cry and say "i wAnNa bE lIke yOu wHeN i gEt sTroNger" or some dumb shit that ain't worth crying for but I think Takemichi is different.

Question and Answer:

Q: Takemichi cries like other typical Shounen MCs so why is he different in your opinion?
A: Because he actually has a understandable reason for crying

Q: Why doesn't he train to get stronger?
A: Because he doesn't have time and his physical state is pretty weak compared to his mental state.

Q: Does Takemichi have character development?
A: Well actually- no. He does get character development in chapter 2 but that's it, he literally stays the same in every chapter but that doesn't make him a bad MC imo. His character rn is completely fine as it is.

Q: Always not giving up is unrealistic right?
A: Yes but he LITERALLY can't give up because if he does then his whole life is literally over. If he gives up at least once then his hardwork and future life will crumble.

Q: Takemichi's main trait?
A: Takemichi inspiring others is one of the best things I've seen in shounen jump so far. The fact that he doesn't turn into a OP fucker makes him stand out from other MCs.

Great answers. Coming to your second question of training, he has indeed trained a lot, and did get a lot of time for that as well. It's just that the training was mental training, and not physical one. This also makes me arrive at your third question, for which my answer would be that his mental training brings him lot of character development imo.
Mar 4, 2022 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Yoniharu said:

I keep seeing mixed opinions on Takemichi so I made this topic to see what people think of him. I'm really curious to what y'all have to say about him.

I personally think Takemichi is a badass MC.
I HATE crybaby Shounen MCs because they usually cry and say "i wAnNa bE lIke yOu wHeN i gEt sTroNger" or some dumb shit that ain't worth crying for but I think Takemichi is different.

Question and Answer:

Q: Takemichi cries like other typical Shounen MCs so why is he different in your opinion?
A: Because he actually has a understandable reason for crying

Q: Why doesn't he train to get stronger?
A: Because he doesn't have time and his physical state is pretty weak compared to his mental state.

Q: Does Takemichi have character development?
A: Well actually- no. He does get character development in chapter 2 but that's it, he literally stays the same in every chapter but that doesn't make him a bad MC imo. His character rn is completely fine as it is.

Q: Always not giving up is unrealistic right?
A: Yes but he LITERALLY can't give up because if he does then his whole life is literally over. If he gives up at least once then his hardwork and future life will crumble.

Q: Takemichi's main trait?
A: Takemichi inspiring others is one of the best things I've seen in shounen jump so far. The fact that he doesn't turn into a OP fucker makes him stand out from other MCs.

I could potentially agree with this if Takemichi actually accomplished things by himself, without the use of plot convenience and divine intervention. For instance, Mikey and Draken just HAPPENED to walk by to see Kiyomisa kicking the snot out of him, he just HAPPENED to find Baji's photo of Toman's conception and it just HAPPENED to fall out of his pocket when he tried calming Mikey down following Baji's death. He was given invincable plot armour to tank Taiju's blows after foolhardy charging at him with no plan before Mikey and Draken, the divine intervention, showed up to end the conflict.

Not to mention he's so passive too. Despite knowing the future he tends to go with the flow of things and doesn't look to devise any strategy. This is ultimately why I can't get behind this "Takemichi's a unique main character" thing you seemed to imply. Sure, he might be unique to you but he's unique in a bad way.

Because Ken Wakui chose such a flawed main character with nothing going for him he often has to rely on divine intervention, plot conveniences and plot armour to bail him out of situations he should be losing his life in by all rights of him being a weak main character. It's just bad writing.

And he is too emotional as well. Like, it's okay to cry every now and again, but the amount of times seeing a grown man cry as much as he does is really unsettling. People in real life simply don't cry nearly as much as Takemichi.

He's basically a manifestation of part one Naruto's worst traits save his indomitable determination, being dumb and weak crybaby, hence why he needs outside sources from the author to save him.

Btw, you can have a good main character without being OP and horribly weak. Just look at Gon from HxH. He's far from the strongest in his series but he isn't weak. He's perfectly balanced and that's what makes him an interesting character

Mar 17, 2022 2:37 AM

Jun 2015
I find the "critique" of him crying dumb as hell, he's essentially stuck in his teenager years and has for the first time a clear direction and drive. That is then taken away by killing or injuring those who he holds dear, himself getting beat up on the regular and seeing the love of his life murdered in a brutal fashion time and time again.

What I do have an issue with is why he just eats up every strike that comes his way. I don't know, dude, sidestep or something? Granted, these are the top delinquents in Japan who probably know how to control the space to some degree (in martial arts terms), yet it comes off as Makunouchi Ippo-esque idiotism.

Talked about this in some thread, but I think him learning from Mikey or Draken (if not from tutelage then just from watching them) would have made the fights he got in far more justifiable power-wise, since his opponents are constantly shown to have done superhuman feats for their age - and he defeats them by eating their punches. Sure, it's his whole shtick that he's weaker than most and wins by persevering, but I find that a bit lazy and overdone by this point in Japanese media at this point. At least he had Mikey bail him out of the Taiju fight for example, so it wasn't too impossible to consider him winning.

tl;dr: I wish his fighting style was more polished. Wouldn't have to be anything too crazy, but it'd uplift the series by adding a depth of realism to it.
uh oh!
Mar 26, 2022 4:29 AM

Sep 2021
According to me takemichi's character is pretty good...
He got shit beaten out of him and he could still not give up... like that takes a lot more courage especially when u r weak ... when ur body is telling u to give up and uk u wont stand a chance against a op character
And if u can still keep going at it, well... u got my respect for that.
But keeping that aside, he should put some efforts in his fighting skill since he has to be dealing gangs and its strong members. Only getting beat up and not having an upper hand in my fight kinda gets annoying at some point. If he wishes to climb the ladder he has to put some efforts in his physical state, or its like sakura, just crying abt it but not doing anything
Mar 26, 2022 4:36 AM

Dec 2021
takemichi would've been so much better if his entire character wasn't the most unbearable "cry 24/7 and never give up!!!" bullshit
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Mar 26, 2022 4:39 AM

Dec 2021
Takemichi is an absolute ass of a character. He made me dropped TR two times. The worst thing about him is his growth , despite all the things happened to him ,he never grows.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Wakui Ken will start a new delinquent manga in Weekly Shonen Jump

ARK-13 - Apr 4

9 by fatimilla_z »»
Apr 5, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Tokyo卍Revengers Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2017

11 by PlasticRobot »»
Mar 11, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo卍Revengers Chapter 279 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bennnii - Nov 18, 2022

55 by Baytamata »»
Feb 7, 10:35 AM

» About Kisaki

Rom-Com_lover - Dec 11, 2023

5 by nexustom »»
Dec 12, 2023 7:41 PM

Poll: » Tokyo卍Revengers Chapter 59 Discussion

Barrycade - Dec 8, 2023

20 by YMW18 »»
Dec 8, 2023 7:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.