Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Love SAO? Cool Hate SAO? That’s fine. But I think we can all agree that Yui is the worst and most useless character in the show

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 29, 2021 3:32 AM
Jan 2021
Im not the biggest fan of SAO but I don’t hate it. There are some cool elements with the concept and I think the Sachi story was executed pretty well. As a light novel reader I can also confirm that the hole harem story isn’t what the author intended. Asian and Kirito is overall the intended love story.
But man I hate yui. She’s just pure fanservice for the loli lover. There isn’t a single reason why she’s on the story. And that bare bones parent situation is so illogical. Never forget the memes with the master hacker Kirito that destroyed the system with his hacking skills. I don’t even have to begin with her integration into Fairy Dance and how useless she is there but yeah.
Again I’m not hating on SAO but she’s garbage
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2021 3:40 AM

Jun 2016
I agree Yui is one of my biggest gripes with SAO. I usually like
but this one just wasn't good and all that time could have been devoted to more good episodes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 29, 2021 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't even remember who she was until you pointed out.
May 29, 2021 3:52 AM

Apr 2020
She'll be pretty useful in Alicization so don't worry.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2021 4:16 AM
May 2020
As much as I love Alicization, I still hate Yui despite her role in there.
May 29, 2021 4:29 AM

Apr 2017
Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this too lol, she was there for like two or three episodes what even was the point
May 29, 2021 4:36 AM

Feb 2020
While yui doesn't feel like a ai. I don't hate her as a character. Kirito's sister is far worse according to me. I don't like alice either. Inspite of
all that Oberon is obviously the worst character, many people can testify it.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 29, 2021 4:44 AM

Jul 2015
Well, yea. That literal Tamagochi daughter makes Kirito X Asuna ship even worse than it already is.
The worst thing is, that Kirito-kun decided to somehow compress and download sentient AI (which should be the most complex piece of code possibly known to man) in sixty seconds (which is absurd), instead of something like... Logging out trapped players, if he is capable of such an insane stunt? That should be rather trivial.

But I personally think that those two forced haremmates, who become completely irrelevant after receiving their one episode each are actually the worst. They were total waste of screen time, which could be spent on something productive, but instead we had a timeskip.

May 29, 2021 5:35 AM
Aug 2020
I really like SAO (especially Alicization) but I agree Yui is quite irritating/pointless at times. I know she's supposed to be 'uwu best' girl but it's just cringy.
May 29, 2021 6:31 AM

Oct 2020
herofelix77 said:
Im not the biggest fan of SAO but I don’t hate it. There are some cool elements with the concept and I think the Sachi story was executed pretty well. As a light novel reader I can also confirm that the hole harem story isn’t what the author intended. Asian and Kirito is overall the intended love story.
But man I hate yui. She’s just pure fanservice for the loli lover. There isn’t a single reason why she’s on the story. And that bare bones parent situation is so illogical. Never forget the memes with the master hacker Kirito that destroyed the system with his hacking skills. I don’t even have to begin with her integration into Fairy Dance and how useless she is there but yeah.
I don't agree to that, and YUI wasn't originally in the LNs it was showed in the anime
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
May 29, 2021 6:32 AM

Oct 2020
Piromysl said:
Well, yea. That literal Tamagochi daughter makes Kirito X Asuna ship even worse than it already is.
The worst thing is, that Kirito-kun decided to somehow compress and download sentient AI (which should be the most complex piece of code possibly known to man) in sixty seconds (which is absurd), instead of something like... Logging out trapped players, if he is capable of such an insane stunt? That should be rather trivial.

But I personally think that those two forced haremmates, who become completely irrelevant after receiving their one episode each are actually the worst. They were total waste of screen time, which could be spent on something productive, but instead we had a timeskip.
u just need a reason to hate, Kirito is a Computer Geeks and he made a computer from broken parts his aunt said herself, if u hate him u should know about him properly before trolling
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
May 29, 2021 6:40 AM

Jul 2015
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Piromysl said:

u just need a reason to hate, Kirito is a Computer Geeks and he made a computer from broken parts his aunt said herself, if u hate him u should know about him properly before trolling

14 yo pulling such a stunt is a Mary Sue in the making. That's bad writing.

May 29, 2021 6:42 AM
Jan 2021
Since I don’t remember who yui is, yeah I’ll agree
May 29, 2021 8:35 AM
Mar 2021
This show is so trash I hate this show
One Piece Gintama Jojos Bizzare Adventure Are My Favorite Anime
May 29, 2021 8:48 AM
Jan 2021
Even the mc is worst character so nothing surprise for a side character to be worse
May 29, 2021 9:14 AM
Jan 2021
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Piromysl said:

I literally said I don’t hate the show but has many flaws. Still the show is very memable but aight
May 29, 2021 9:38 AM
Aug 2020
He is indeed pretty useless.
May 29, 2021 9:48 AM

Jan 2021
I didn't know that there were many people who hated Yui...
May 29, 2021 11:00 AM
May 2021
Bro what about Sugu, I personally am a believer that insest does not belong in anime so wtf is with sugu being in love with kirito. The story would have been perfectly fine if she just thought of online kirito as a friend
May 29, 2021 11:43 AM

Dec 2019
yeah, yui was a big turn off for me
May 29, 2021 11:43 AM

Dec 2019
Bro I don’t get what y’all are talking about, I loved yui lmao.
May 29, 2021 11:44 AM

Dec 2019
SoulFighter17 said:
Bro what about Sugu, I personally am a believer that insest does not belong in anime so wtf is with sugu being in love with kirito. The story would have been perfectly fine if she just thought of online kirito as a friend
Sugu is hot af though
May 29, 2021 11:59 AM

Jan 2021
i mean she hasn't got much screentime either way and is just there to be cute. don't see your point.
May 29, 2021 12:00 PM

Jan 2021
SoulFighter17 said:

Oh my. I highly recommend Oreimo, you'll love it for sure.
May 29, 2021 12:28 PM
May 2021
certifiedbinger said:
SoulFighter17 said:

certifiedbinger said:
SoulFighter17 said:

oh thank you, I’m sure the show with an episode named “a sister can’t be in love with her brother” will be a great match for me
May 29, 2021 12:43 PM
Feb 2018
I completely disagree with most people here, yui becomes the emotional center of the story. if you took her out and wrote around her the show would be a lot less compelling that it already is. I don't see why people specifically hate her. shes not anymore offensive than anything else the show has to offer. Shes like the rest of the show, superficially good concept with crappy execution. If you hate her i dont see how you could find anything redeeming about SAO
May 29, 2021 1:04 PM
Feb 2021
herofelix77 said:
I couldn't agree more like to teenagers find a kid in the woods then there like hmm what should I do oh I know I'm your mum he's your dad then when Kirkton is being the crazy Russian hacker to prevent her death in like 10 seconds realistically would have took hours like he needs to preserve all her source code create a brand new in game entity give it a name description etc then binfld her source code to the item and bam instead of doing that he could simply have changed the value of the log out screen from false to true which he could have done in 10 srvlconds which would save the lives of thousands of kids and adults aswell as saving him self from all the mental stress and torment which is put on his shoulders due to people he knows and is close with dying but yes she is dumb and I hate her she is honestly the main reason I don't rate Sao higher coz she is just an insufferable cunt that makes me want to slice my wrists when ever she is in a scene
May 29, 2021 1:06 PM
Feb 2021
Adampk said:
While yui doesn't feel like a ai. I don't hate her as a character. Kirito's sister is far worse according to me. I don't like alice either. Inspite of
u just hate his sister coz she's from alabama and supports slavery smh
May 29, 2021 1:13 PM

Feb 2020
bruhmoment36734 said:
Adampk said:
u just hate his sister coz she's from alabama and supports slavery smh

Lol...alabama...slavery
Edit - ok, I got it. But Its racist and I am not American Indian
AdampkMay 29, 2021 1:33 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 29, 2021 1:21 PM
Apr 2020
Yes... 15 characters
May 30, 2021 12:20 AM
Jan 2021
i love sao, and personally i loved yui, she was adorable and she was helpful to them throughout the series
May 30, 2021 12:36 AM
Mar 2021
I dont hate SAO, cant say I'm a big fan of it either. Honestly though I think I like the SAO Abridged Version way more. The main protagonists actually get some development and it adds comedy to it. I wasnt a fan of the incest thing so I was glad that was scrapped.
May 30, 2021 4:52 PM
Oct 2020
Exotic-_-Turtle said:
I dont hate SAO, cant say I'm a big fan of it either. Honestly though I think I like the SAO Abridged Version way more. The main protagonists actually get some development and it adds comedy to it. I wasnt a fan of the incest thing so I was glad that was scrapped.

You completely missed the point if you thought SAO was pro incest. It was a serious issue, handled maturely.
PS : Abridged Kirito had the EXACT same character arc as OG Kirito, and Abridged Asuna didn't develop as a character at all. Prove me wrong, I dare you.
May 30, 2021 4:56 PM
Oct 2020
herofelix77 said:

Yui is actually the embodiment of the core theme of SAO. What is that you may ask? Well it simple. The real and virtual worlds are similar, and the relationships you form there are real. It doesn't matter if you're related by blood or not, but what you think of the person does. Nowhere can this be seen better than Yui. A literal AI, a computer program. She's nothing but a code on a PC. But to Kirito and Asuna, she's their daughter, and proof of their time in Aincrad, as well as their existence. Love her or hate her, you cannot deny that there is a deep meaning behind her existence.
May 30, 2021 5:01 PM
Oct 2020
bruhmoment36734 said:
herofelix77 said:
I couldn't agree more like to teenagers find a kid in the woods then there like hmm what should I do oh I know I'm your mum he's your dad then when Kirkton is being the crazy Russian hacker to prevent her death in like 10 seconds realistically would have took hours like he needs to preserve all her source code create a brand new in game entity give it a name description etc then binfld her source code to the item and bam instead of doing that he could simply have changed the value of the log out screen from false to true which he could have done in 10 srvlconds which would save the lives of thousands of kids and adults aswell as saving him self from all the mental stress and torment which is put on his shoulders due to people he knows and is close with dying but yes she is dumb and I hate her she is honestly the main reason I don't rate Sao higher coz she is just an insufferable cunt that makes me want to slice my wrists when ever she is in a scene

Dude, ssly there is so much wrong with this. Firstly there's a deeper meaning behind Kirito and Asuna parenting Yui.
Secondly, Kirito didn't hack anything. The author literally tweeted an explanation because some fools always take the worst possible explanation. All Kirito did there was find her folder, and copy paste it. The game engine handled the rest. Thats it. It's the author's official explanation, so don't even try to argue.
Thirdly, Kirito couldn't have saved everyone, because he doesn't have access to the logout code, only Kayaba does. Moreover, he doesn't give a single shit about those people. His daughter is dying, and she's more important than a bunch of randoms to him.
May 30, 2021 5:10 PM
Oct 2020
Piromysl said:

Oh hey mother's basement! Found your alt again.

Donno why I try to keep correcting your brain dead arguments. But alas!
Kirito didn't hack anything. The author literally tweeted an explanation because some fools always take the worst possible explanation. All Kirito did there was find her folder, and copy paste it. The game engine handled the rest. Thats it, no big deal. It's the author's official explanation, so don't even try to argue. Also don't try to argue what is possible and what isn't in computers,I'm a programmer, and I can tell you, it's possible, especially within the context of the story.
And secondly, he can't log out anyone else, because he doesn't have access to the log out codes, only Kayaba does. He also, doesn't give a fuck about randos he hasn't even met while his daughter is dying. Wait a minute, Kirito being selfish? Sike, you actually pointed out a flaw in his character. Not so flawless now is he?

Both Silica and Liz had important roles in Ordinal Scale and WoU respectively. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice, stop being a total waste of space showing up on every SAO related post without fail, and do something actually productive? But instead you keep making your brain dead rants. I find this, quite amusing.
May 30, 2021 5:17 PM

Jul 2015
skatlads15 said:
Piromysl said:

Kirito didn't hack anything. The author literally tweeted an explanation because some fools always take the worst possible explanation. All Kirito did there was find her folder, and copy paste it. The game engine handled the rest. Thats it, no big deal. It's the author's official explanation, so don't even try to argue. Also don't try to argue what is possible and what isn't in computers,I'm a programmer, and I can tell you, it's possible, especially within the context of the story.
And secondly, he can't log out anyone else, because he doesn't have access to the log out codes, only Kayaba does. He also, doesn't give a fuck about randos he hasn't even met while his daughter is dying. Wait a minute, Kirito being selfish? Sike, you actually pointed out a flaw in his character. Not so flawless now is he?

Both Silica and Liz had important roles in Ordinal Scale and WoU respectively. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice, stop being a total waste of space showing up on every SAO related post without fail, and do something actually productive? But instead you keep making your brain dead rants. I find this, quite amusing.

And that desperate explanation makes this lazy writing look better how exactly? Yea... When author needs to rush to Twitter to explain some confusing and illogical bullshit and only proves, that he has no idea about computers, that's where I draw the line.

And I still don't see how those two Wastes of Screentime could not be replaced by anyone else, nor how they were essential to anything.

May 30, 2021 5:19 PM

May 2021
Her character wasn't done well, but she was pretty useful in some arcs.
May 30, 2021 9:49 PM

Feb 2021
Piromysl said:

That is actually right he if he can do that he could log every single on of them out, like he could have saved everyone.
May 30, 2021 11:44 PM
Mar 2021
shes not the worst character but she is pretty useless before season 3
May 31, 2021 12:10 AM
Oct 2020
Piromysl said:
skatlads15 said:

And that desperate explanation makes this lazy writing look better how exactly? Yea... When author needs to rush to Twitter to explain some confusing and illogical bullshit and only proves, that he has no idea about computers, that's where I draw the line.

And I still don't see how those two Wastes of Screentime could not be replaced by anyone else, nor how they were essential to anything.

Cause then it makes sense within the context of the show. As long as they play by their own rules, it's ok. And lmao, stop. It's a fictional world with a fictional computer. They don't have to follow rules of a real computer. The only rules they have to follow is their own. And btw, something like this is quite possible. There is no impossible in the world of computers. The author knows there are idiots who will twist that scene and make it something it isn't because they will always look for the worst possible explanation, so it's good to clarify.

Both Silica and Liz are important for Kirito's character development as well as the themes of the show. Liz also led an army of ALO players into Underworld, while Silica helped Asuna stay sane after she lost her memories.
May 31, 2021 12:13 AM
Oct 2020
A_random_kid69 said:
Piromysl said:

That is actually right he if he can do that he could log every single on of them out, like he could have saved everyone.

Read my earlier comment. He doesn't have access to the log out codes, only Kayaba does. The console he was on, had access to Yui's folder, so he could save her. Moreover, even if he could log other players out, why would he save a bunch of randoms, when someone he considers his daughter is dying? People complain Kirito doesn't have flaws. Well what about this then? This is his selfishness acting up, meaning he does have flaws.
May 31, 2021 12:23 AM

Feb 2021
skatlads15 said:
A_random_kid69 said:

Read my earlier comment. He doesn't have access to the log out codes, only Kayaba does. The console he was on, had access to Yui's folder, so he could save her. Moreover, even if he could log other players out, why would he save a bunch of randoms, when someone he considers his daughter is dying? People complain Kirito doesn't have flaws. Well what about this then? This is his selfishness acting up, meaning he does have flaws.
Well I can understand the first part, But dumping those thousands of 'Random' people, many of whom might be dying right now to save an AI which is not even real does not make sense, but it's understandable if he did not have access to those codes. And every caracters has their flaws(plz don't think I am one of kirito stans cuz I am totally noy)
May 31, 2021 12:55 AM
Oct 2020
A_random_kid69 said:
skatlads15 said:

Well I can understand the first part, But dumping those thousands of 'Random' people, many of whom might be dying right now to save an AI which is not even real does not make sense, but it's understandable if he did not have access to those codes. And every caracters has their flaws(plz don't think I am one of kirito stans cuz I am totally noy)

Well that's kind of the point. Yui isn't a real person. But that doesn't matter to Kirito or Asuna, she's still their daughter and they love her. That was a huge deal in Alicization where Alice talked about what makes someone human. That's one of the core themes of SAO. Real and Virtual worlds are similar, and the relationships you form here are real. If I were given the choice between saving my daughter and saving some people I don't know, I'd pick my daughter.
I mentioned the flaw because people call Kirito Gary Stu, when he's definitely got flaws.
May 31, 2021 12:57 AM

Jul 2015
skatlads15 said:
Piromysl said:

Cause then it makes sense within the context of the show. As long as they play by their own rules, it's ok. And lmao, stop. It's a fictional world with a fictional computer. They don't have to follow rules of a real computer. The only rules they have to follow is their own. And btw, something like this is quite possible. There is no impossible in the world of computers. The author knows there are idiots who will twist that scene and make it something it isn't because they will always look for the worst possible explanation, so it's good to clarify.

Both Silica and Liz are important for Kirito's character development as well as the themes of the show. Liz also led an army of ALO players into Underworld, while Silica helped Asuna stay sane after she lost her memories.

Good thing you said "within the context of the story", because with such lazy writing it will somehow make sense, right? Just like 14 yo nerd pulling such a stuns without any effort, but everything is explained because "he be interested in programming".
Those two hoes being shoehorned into the stoplight hardly make them usable, especially since anyone could do the same.

And you have no idea what character development even is, so just stop.

May 31, 2021 1:12 AM
Oct 2020
Piromysl said:
skatlads15 said:

Good thing you said "within the context of the story", because with such lazy writing it will somehow make sense, right? Just like 14 yo nerd pulling such a stuns without any effort, but everything is explained because "he be interested in programming".
Those two hoes being shoehorned into the stoplight hardly make them usable, especially since anyone could do the same.

Don't need to elaborate on it making sense or not, the point and facts are clear.

Lol, imagine complaining about characters based on what they didn't do instead of what they did. By that logic LITERALLY anyone could replace any character in fiction. Your logic is just stupid.

I'm well aware what character development is, you're just too ignorant/deluded. If you think Kirito is the same as he was in episode 1 as he is in the final episode of War of Underworld, then you are actually medically blind.
Kirito in episode 1 of Aincrad : Fuck Klien, gotta save myself
Kirito in the last episode of WoU : Imma put my life on the line for the lives of everyone in this virtual kingdom.
May 31, 2021 1:14 AM

Jul 2015
skatlads15 said:
Piromysl said:

Don't need to elaborate on it making sense or not, the point and facts are clear.

Lol, imagine complaining about characters based on what they didn't do instead of what they did. By that logic LITERALLY anyone could replace any character in fiction. Your logic is just stupid.

I'm well aware what character development is, you're just too ignorant/deluded. If you think Kirito is the same as he was in episode 1 as he is in the final episode of War of Underworld, then you are actually medically blind.
Kirito in the last episode of WoU : Imma put my life on the line for the lives of everyone in this virtual kingdom.

This "character development" got exhausted by the end of Aincard.
I am still unimpressed.

May 31, 2021 1:26 AM
Oct 2020
Piromysl said:
skatlads15 said:

I am still unimpressed.

Lmao, rubbish. Let's just forget about Kirito's PTSD issues and getting over them in GGO, as well as his guilt over letting his friends die in WoU. Sure.
May 31, 2021 1:39 AM

Jul 2015
skatlads15 said:
Piromysl said:

I am still unimpressed.

Lmao, rubbish. Let's just forget about Kirito's PTSD issues and getting over them in GGO, as well as his guilt over letting his friends die in WoU. Sure.

Yea, let's talk about something that actually happened. Everyone, who experienced so many traumatic events in VR, right after escaping it dives right into it for entertainment purposes. That's not how it works. It's either those events dis not traumatised them, or somebody messed up in conveying them.
I don't even know how you can still defend GGO. I thought everyone considered it as a garbage an lowest point of the story.

And first half of Alicization was actually dope, exactly because of Kirito starting from scratch.

I'm still not impressed.

May 31, 2021 1:55 AM
Jan 2021
skatlads15 said:
Piromysl said:

Hold up is that mothers basement‘s mal account?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
Yesterday, 10:18 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.