Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is It Interrsting
May 20, 2021 3:29 AM

Aug 2020
It is said that Miyazaki likes to address political problems and current events in his films. The one that is linked to Spirited Away is the major issue of child prostitution. Throughout the movie, there are also several instances that may serve as proof for this theory, so let’s go through them.

The character on the blue curtain above the entrance reads "yu".
The character on the blue curtain above the entrance reads “yu”.

Firstly, when the bath house is revealed, there a sign above the entrance with the Japanese symbol for the word “yu”, which means hot water. Although this may seem fitting seeing as it is a bath house, it is important to address the fact that in the Japanese Edo era, men often went to bath houses to meet with women named “yuna”, or “hot water woman.” However, these women often weren’t just attendants, but also prostitutes. “Yuna” is also the name of the “race” of the female spirits who work in the bath house. Additionally, the name of the woman who runs the bath house, Yubaba, means “hot water old woman”.

Chihiro (middle) surrounded by yuna.
Chihiro (middle) surrounded by yuna.

Next, when Chihiro goes to sign the contract with Yubaba, she is forced to change her name to Sen. This is a parallel to the prostitution industry in which many women are forced to change their name to make sure that no one finds them.

Finally, let’s address the real issue at hand: prostitution. The first instance in which this theory is addressed is when Chihiro meets No Face. It is said that No Face is meant to represent a pedophile who consistently wants to buy Chihiro, who is underage. As an attempt to buy her virginity, he offers her money and even steals bath cards for her so that she can do her job. However, as she continuously refuses to accept him, he ends up chasing after her himself, but she gets away.

But if you think this theory is too far-fetched, I would really encourage you to watch the movie for yourself. Although I explained the basic plotline of the movie, I did leave out a lot of details. This theory is something that I have always been fascinated about. In my next blog post, I would like to go into another theory for a different, but still extremely popular, Miyazaki movie.

i don't know but for some reason this theory give me chills
May 20, 2021 3:32 AM

Jul 2020
That's a pretty dark and logical theory and people say Spirited away is "wholesome family" movie.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 20, 2021 4:39 AM
Oct 2012
That's an interesting one. Where did you get this?
May 20, 2021 4:48 AM

Aug 2020
regulusgal said:
That's an interesting one. Where did you get this?

i saw this on an instagram page
May 22, 2021 2:18 PM
Feb 2019
That's what came to mind when I personally watched it.
May 22, 2021 2:33 PM

Oct 2014
Interesting theory. I must've seen Spirted Away like 10 times but never once thought of this.

Reminds me of old Disney movies having lots of hidden sexual messages and innuendos.

More topics from this board

» Do you think Spirited Away is overrated? ( 1 2 3 4 )

deactivated30325 - Feb 3, 2014

178 by Feitan_exe »»
Apr 2, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Aug 3, 2009

189 by Bans_Cheese1 »»
Apr 1, 10:52 PM

» More movie/shows with this plot?

_txhsin__ - Mar 30, 2023

14 by Zoldra0 »»
May 13, 2023 3:16 PM

» Movies as great as this one

Kondyaedus - Feb 11, 2022

32 by tamashinochi »»
Mar 15, 2023 1:36 AM

» What is so great with this movie

Kintoki37 - Oct 23, 2022

39 by YoungVagabond »»
Nov 25, 2022 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.