Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2021 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's pretty couragous that Neku would go so far to save Shiki.

After that drama with Joshua, Neku should probably be more careful at who to trust from now on. It's hard to tell what his endgame is so Shiki should be wary at all time. The battle was thrilling but it seems the Noise in this show gets more and more dangerous with each episode.

Even though he may not seem very trustworthy, I do find Joshua's abilities to be very impressive.

May 14, 2021 10:02 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Neku chose not to confront Joshua about his memories until after knowing that he’s not a real player. IIRC, it was the same in the game too. Also, the anime’s been cutting out all of the fights between Beat and Neku, lol.

It’s nice that the anime chose to have an anime-original scene with Sota and Nao, since their moment in the last episode felt kinda random. It helps with Neku’s development, and it’ll make him opening up to others more believable. Him opening up was something that was supposed to be in the last episode, but with some of the stuff that got cut out in this adaptation, it would’ve felt rushed in that episode. Though it is a little weird for him to mention all that to Joshua after he lost his trust with him. It makes sense for him to say all that stuff to Joshua before gaining his memories of his death, lol.

It was fun seeing Neku all excited after knowing that Hanekoma is behind CAT. He’s always serious, so it’s nice to see him lighten up a bit. We also get to find out that Joshua never died and he intentionally entered the game. That definitely riled up Neku and his trust with his partner is at an all-time low. With the final day coming up, they’ll need to get it together. And a bit of Minamimoto at the end of the episode. I wish there was more of him in this anime, but even in the game, he didn't appear too often.

Pretty good episode, probably one of the better paced episodes imo. They covered Day 5 and a bit of Day 6. They’ll probably merge the skipped parts of Day 6 with Day 7 for the next episode. Well, I’m glad that they didn’t give this week only 3 episodes. Hopefully the upcoming battle with the Game Master is done well. The fight with Higashizawa was kinda meh, so hopefully best boy Minamimoto doesn’t get the same treatment!
May 14, 2021 10:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Joshua is still really creepy and mysterious, so this dude is OP and still alive... I wonder who he really is.
May 14, 2021 10:52 AM

Jul 2017
With such a shrewd killing partner like Joshua, you would think that Neku would just end the matter then and there. But for someone to desires to fight the Composer, there's a sinister plan ahead, and no choice for Neku to back out of the plan to save Shiki.

As if Reaper Minamimoto with the incomplete Taboo Noise Refinery is a registered hit, the countless Noise and the player-converted-Reaper Beat trying to flout with the rules to fight against Neku, there's still a lot of questions left answered.

Sota and Nao's moment with Neku was exceptionally handled well from the randomness that is the duo pair just showing up on scene the episode prior, and contributing to Neku's character development. Even Joshua getting Neku to open up about his life of having lived in Shibuya all his life and having the admiration for CAT a.k.a Hanekoma's works, it's definitely building trust between partners and lightening up the situation.

The sparring of partners against Black Noise was a moment of death and denial. So Joshua is not dead, and at best served a warning since it isn't Day 7 just yet, but to Neku, it just sounds like complete BS and utter debauchery since it concerns the playing risks of life and death.

The Game Master's time is coming, and let it rip.
May 14, 2021 10:58 AM
Sep 2015
Neku happy and excite about CAT is the best scene of this anime until now.
May 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Jun 2019
Shiki just found that Mr. Hanekoma is CAT, the one he looks up to and the one who's helping him this all time, pretty obvious getting embarrassed and excited now. LOL.

The Reapers are keeping a close eye on them and the Noise creatures have also gotten more and more dangerous. The game master is sure enjoying this one.
May 14, 2021 11:49 AM
Jul 2017
if minamimoto doesn't shout out the numbers to pi in the next episode, i'm dropping.
May 14, 2021 11:54 AM

Feb 2019
Minamimoto is a bad ass. Really like his character. Still have my reservations about Joshua, but like Neku, I realise you just gotta work with him. Neku fangirling over CAT was hilarious though lol. I’m also glad the reapers finally got a taste of their own medicine.
May 14, 2021 12:08 PM
Apr 2017
This episode was pretty much perfect. I really liked. Pacing was on point , they add extra info to the undergrounds , Joshua's reveal was well done same for Sota and Nao conversation with Neku, etc.

Next episode is day 7 and oooh boy. I hyped to Sho's fight.
May 14, 2021 1:51 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Joshua is still alive, and Neku apparently tried to kill Shiki...

I wonder what Joshua is up to, why he is studying Neku, and if it is all for Neku's "salvation"?
May 14, 2021 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
An episode? With good pacing? Basically just focusing on one episode??????? Is this heaven

I mean, I missed the beat-fighting parts but ok I can survive with it. And at least the original anime scenes are doing a good job.

I wonder how next episode is going to be. I need to see Sho shouting SINE COSINE TANGENT otherwise my life has been an entire lie
May 14, 2021 3:10 PM

Dec 2008
They nailed it with this episode, it was pretty good.
May 14, 2021 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Many important things about. Yoshiya I hope I explained more about he.
May 14, 2021 6:45 PM

May 2007
Binged the first 6 episodes earlier today, a decent watch that is trying it's best to cram the first game's content into one season.

I still like it, the only thing that sucks is that it's highly unlikely that the new game will get an anime adaptation anytime soon.
May 14, 2021 8:15 PM

Feb 2016
This was one of the better episodes. I would prefer for the Reaper's Game to feel more like an actual game, but at least the anime-original content is enjoyable.
その目だれの目?
May 15, 2021 1:42 AM

Nov 2013
that guy is so sus BUT I DEFINITELY DIDNT EXPECT THE BLACK HAIRED ONE TO BE CAT :o
May 15, 2021 2:43 AM

Oct 2016
That was a zetta good episode! I definitely did not expect Hanekoma to be CAT, because of that I just realized he literally has neko in his name lmao. It's really interesting to see that side of Neku fanboying over CAT, I like it. Beat definitely just saved Neku right there under the pretense that he's gonna kill him.

I am gonna be sad when Sota and Nao eventually gets erased, they're cool. Damn, Joshua is actually still alive while playing the reapers game. I wonder why? Is he like atoning for killing Neku and is trying to help him win? I don't know, he probably also has other motives.
May 15, 2021 7:19 AM
Dec 2017
So guys, ya'll interested in the game now after seeing this anime?

May 15, 2021 6:42 PM

Jan 2009
so Mr Hanekoma is this CAT person that Neku is a fan of eh

and Joshua is alive and not dead like them wtf, good on Neku confronting him and finally asking why he killed him but looks like the answer will be in the next episode
May 15, 2021 7:26 PM
Jul 2019
I liked the adaptation of the second week far more than what happened in Shiki's arc. A big step up imo. The pacing has become better and events are flowing naturally. Action still sucks in comparison to the game, but this now looks like overall a good adaptation in comparison to how it looked like by episode 2 or 3 for example.
May 15, 2021 7:28 PM
Jul 2019
Lamss said:
Joshua is still alive, and Neku apparently tried to kill Shiki...

I wonder what Joshua is up to, why he is studying Neku, and if it is all for Neku's "salvation"?

Neku tried to kill Shiki in the first episode. Joshua was referencing this moment.

Maybe you forgot because the adaptation of the first arc was half arsed.
May 18, 2021 3:28 AM

Mar 2020
Just when I thought all hope was lost Nekky managed to make his glorious anime debut. I'm kinda surprised that Neku wasn't phased at all by the nickname especially with how animated he was in this episode, though to be fair I can't imagine the revelation he had the previous day would be all that pleasant.

I'm pretty sure this is also the first time Sho has called the players hectopascals, or at least the first time I've noticed. In all honesty I'm quite disappointed with how little screentime Sho has been given over the past couple of episodes. The second week is my favourite because of all the complex relationships the characters share with one another, which is made possible through Sho's flagrant disregard for his position as the gamemaster. You don't get the feeling that Sho's a crazed mathematician who's as intelligent as he is impulsive here when all he ever does is keep to himself. He's more like Neku in that regard, which is bad since Neku isn't meant to understand or relate to him in any way.

Anyways, a big fuck you to Joshua. I love him because I hate him. See you all next twewsday.
XeroBeatMay 18, 2021 3:34 AM
May 19, 2021 7:23 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Whoops, late again... guess I started losing motivation for writing discussion posts the day a new ep comes out, huh?

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

Interestingly enough, last episode DIDN'T end with a end-of-day transition, so the cold open for this ep continues the day after that scene. Really surprised Neku goes all out and straight-up grabs Joshua's collar here.

But yeah, anyway, I actually agree with a lot of people that this episode is an improvement.
I'm not just saying that because one of my favorite scenes from the whole game finally shows up. I'm saying that the pacing actually feels somewhat more natural and doesn't have as much awkward pauses as I've stated in past ED threads. The fight scenes, while still not super amazing, actually feel a bit more exciting this time around. Didn't remember until reading @GoldenDevilGamer's post that Beat's fight scenes were more frequent in the original game, but I am glad that he finally shows up again, love his "se-n-pa-i!" retort here haha. Yeah, there still are some more unnecessarily unsubtle (imo) extra flashbacks as to what happened to Shiki, but at least the second mention of Shiki in this episode (during Neku's internal thoughts at the start of the new day, after the opening) was short and sweet, and the third mention was used for an anime-original scene with Sota and Nao, who definitely deserve more screentime.
I seriously gotta give props to whoever was the episode director for this ep.

Speaking of that scene... like, I really do appreciate its existence and how it uses that duo to actually kinda help develop Neku as a character here by letting him talk a bit more about his thoughts, but... I also can't help but feel a bit saddened that Week 1 had to get so hacked and slashed through the way it did. You could really tell that the anime staff or whoever made this decision wanted to get straight to the point with what was essentially a tutorial week for both Neku and the player and made it more flashier with more fight scenes, but then halfway through when they started writing up Week 2, the anime staff probably said "oh shit, oh shit, we cut out most of the stuff that would make Neku and the player care about Shiki" or whatever... then they constantly inserted visuals of Shiki's disappearance and added anime-original scenes like this and the one with Eri in the flower shop (another anime-original scene I do like as it shows another character with additional screentime) to compensate for how much they cut out and in an attempt to get the anime-onlys on the same page as the Players. Yes, the original game does remind you and Neku about Shiki a bit throughout this week, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't AS FREQUENT as the anime and they CERTAINLY did NOT constantly spam Shiki's disappearance each time they did.
I really am sorry, I do like what they were trying to do with these cool new scenes, but at the same time, I just... I just feel like some of it seems a bit unnecessary. I really wish the anime realized that Week 1 was still good and important too... especially since Shiki is my favorite out of Neku's partners (which is saying a lot because I honestly like ALL the characters in this game and never hated any single one of them; yes, even Pinky and Joshua lol) and the complete removal of one of my favorite lines from her
also means that the anime had to skip over its callback. Which, of course, really sucks in my opinion.
And while I like how Neku realizes that everyone has their own problems here with flashbacks to past events, I just can't help but remember how many MORE scenes relevant to this revelation would have taken place here if the anime wasn't 12 episodes.
....Oh crap, got sidetracked... uhh but yeah I like this scene. Best part is briefly seeing Neku smile again :)

And speaking of THAT... ahaha, I guess it's time to mention what I meant by "one of my favorite scenes from the whole game finally showing up". It is when Neku gets excited to see more graffiti from his favorite artist, CAT, and Joshua then spills the beans. (hahaha geddit? beans? as in... nvm) That scene was actually the moment I realized that Neku had become one of my new favorite characters ever, not just in the game; sure, his somewhat emo demeanor can definitely be hard to swallow for everyone at first, but by now I'm sure y'all are starting to see him change his mindset (...or whatever amount you barely see of it in this show lol), and I did really like the snarky comments he made here and there (...even though the anime BARELY kept that but whatever) up to this point. But just watching him suddenly FREAK OUT and FANBOY over learning who CAT is was simply adorable and I could not help but love that.
And I'm happy to say that the anime's delivery of all of this was spot on.
Once again, major props to whoever was the specific episode director behind this episode.

.......I hate to end my post here on a bad note, but I do have one last nitpick.
Neku's reaction to the plot twist that Joshua is actually still alive is decent, but I kinda feel like I personally don't feel much impact to this revelation. It could be cuz I knew this already, but I just feel like the anime waters down a lot of the game to begin with, so I guess that could be par for the course... but then, the actual nitpick I have here comes up.
Joshua then says the line "Would you kill me, like when you tried to kill Shiki?". This is a line that no Player would have a problem with... so then, what's the problem, you may be asking? The problem I have with this here in the anime is that this is yet another moment that makes more sense in the game than in the anime because of a change the anime made. I say "another" because the couple of lines Shiki says towards Higashizawa (Week 1's Game Master) in episode 3 comes across as completely random in the anime because the anime completely cut out the context for these lines, as Higashizawa had actually appeared a bit earlier in the week.
The issue with this episode's line here is due to a retcon this time instead of a cut. Remember what I said in episode 1 about the scene where Neku chokes Shiki? Neku being possessed by Noise at that moment was actually a retcon, as in the original scene he had actually choked Shiki willingly without any Noise present. Sure, he was manipulated into doing it, but in the end, he still did it. I understand why the anime felt like a change was necessary, it's so that Neku comes off as more digestable for anime-onlys who would have otherwise hated him for this; but not only did that retcon kill a bit of the weight behind Neku's apology to Shiki over it, but it also now kills off a bit of weight behind Joshua's line here. My point is that "when you tried to kill Shiki" doesn't work that well in the anime because they made it so that Neku wasn't actually trying to do that on purpose.
I imagine some anime-onlys immediately thought "well it wasn't his fault" at this moment while those who played the game may have thought differently or even outright disagree with whoever thought that. Gotta love unnecessary changes, am I right...?

...Well, that's a bit too much to read hahahahaha... I'll just lessen the blow here with some more positivity here—as I've said before, the fight scenes here were actually a bit cool to watch for once, especially the last one as it has cool music, and Joshua features his famed "Jesus beams"... that's what the fanbase likes to call them lmao. The beams and the slowed-down shot of Neku's reaction to them look great :D

Y'all anime-onlys should still really play the original game sometime though.

THE 6TH EPISODE

CAT
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃.
May 22, 2021 4:23 PM

Mar 2013
Jesus Beams, finally!
May 25, 2021 10:55 AM

Oct 2017
We got some new info but that only thickened the mystery. Wonder how this mess gonna get solved, I hope Neku and Shiki are revived.
Aug 24, 2021 2:01 AM

Jul 2015
Joshua sure is overpowered but also mysterious with how he's still alive, poor Neku for being sort of tricked like that.

Nov 5, 2021 5:26 PM

Dec 2013
The tanned couple are surprisingly wholesome. I liked how they tried to cheer Neku up after what happened to Shiki.

Neku fanboying over Cat/Hanekoma was hilarious.

Joshua mystery continues to deepen. It's crazy to think that someone who's still alive was able to enter the game.
Mar 27, 2022 5:16 AM

Jul 2021
Joshua is impressive in his ability but his action is clearly sussy in the naked eye
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 3, 2022 6:54 AM

Dec 2012
Yoshiya wants to guide Shibuya.
Sho is drawing.
2 days.
Dem Noise.
They won.
Bito appears.
Uzuki and...
Bito is taken with Uzuki and...
Bito dropped the bell.
Hanekoma.
Sota and Nao appear.
They're the only players left.
Nani? CAT is Hanekoma?
Shibuya River.
Forbidden Noise.
Nani? An angel? WTF was that light attack Yoshiya did?
Uzuki and... with Konishi.
Sho.
Dat ending.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 PM
Jun 2023
Characters are well written

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2021

58 by REVA0000 »»
Jan 18, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

34 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » CALLING

TrishaCat - Jul 3, 2020

21 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jan 23, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Oct 28, 2022 1:09 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

27 by Rob »»
Oct 4, 2022 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.