Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 15, 2021 7:35 AM
Apr 2021
I think the episode was fine I guess. This Faust guy has huge potential to become a very cool antagonist, by idk maybe making more insane than he already is. But I didn't like the way Yoh lost: He used up his energy? Are you serious? I thought you lose when you are either knocked out or verbally submit but that just felt so boring. Anyway, I still liked the way Ren (was that his name?) entered the battlefield. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
May 15, 2021 7:38 AM

Apr 2016
This was quite disappointing to watch. Faust was not as menacing as compared to the old version. It felt really off.

Well, at least they didn't cut out the part where Ren said that the bones were too fragile because they didn't drink much milk when they were still alive, while he drinks 3 bottles every day. XD
May 15, 2021 7:42 AM
Apr 2021
jeffu said:
tao ren continuing to be a badass with his glorious horse he reminds me of ken'oh tbh

fights still dont manage to capture my interest but i liked faust and his sinnister mannerisms

I agree with you. Ren looks pretty badass on horse and I really wanna see how his rematch with Yoh goes. The fights are ok right now. I think the biggest problem about these fights is that they don't have a huge impact on the story (or at least for now). I hope that gets better over time
May 15, 2021 7:47 AM

Jun 2014
It's unfortunate that the fast pacing we've gotten so far caused this match to suffer. It was ok at best, I think the OG anime handled things better.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 15, 2021 3:53 PM

Apr 2018
Damn Faust was one tough opponent and YoH almost made it.
May 16, 2021 6:48 AM
Jun 2016
Generally speaking, I've liked this adaptation so far, but my god, this was a terrible episode.
Little to no tension, awful pacing, and the thing that caught my attention the most - atrocious color design. The original adaptation used the colors so well in this fight, while here it was just a mesh of grey.
May 16, 2021 3:12 PM

Jul 2020
Good episode .
Faust's va(DIO) never fails to amaze me 👌👌👌.
Waiting for the stone ocean 3 anime
May 16, 2021 6:59 PM
Mar 2016
Sadly we didn't get the best out of this episode. There wasn't enough facial expressions, and of course the obvious censored vivisection of Manta. The gruesome factor was really toned down. Man, broadcasting regulations are such a downer. I wanted to see more suffering.

3/5. Love Koyasu's performance, I know he's gonna give us this same energy in future episodes. The moral of this episode is: "Drink your milk." - Tao Ren.
May 16, 2021 10:36 PM

Dec 2020
it was a nice ep but something felt lacking. rn i can't rly say what it was but if i scroll and read soem of the other comments here ill probably find it. yoh's rival this match was a doctor with some lose screws in his head, he's the guy in the wheelchair on the op along with his wife eliza so we'll probably see more of him soon, a friendlier side of him where he's gonna be comrades with yoh
May 17, 2021 5:05 AM
Feb 2020
jaks987 said:
I thought you lose when you are either knocked out or verbally submit

The fight goes on as long as both participants have their oversoul engaged. IF you are unable to maintain your oversoul due to, running out of mana, losing your spirital medium, your opponent doing anything that breaks your concentration, or being dead - then you lose the match.

Being knocked out would indeed stop your oversoul from going, but if it for some reason did not do that, your opponent would have to finish you off in order to score a win.
May 17, 2021 10:25 AM

Mar 2016
All the people who are saying the 2001 version was better, I will still contest that.

While I was disappointed this episode didn't do the manga chapter justice (cutting out some really good parts and making it just too short), at least this Faust still felt like Faust.
I tried watching it in 2001 and apart from one or two little moments, Faust might as well have been an entirely different character.

I'd rather have the same manga Faust in shorter bursts than one I don't even recognize. This anime is still miles better than the original, which I feel missed the point of the manga entirely.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
May 17, 2021 11:03 AM
Feb 2014
CrimsonCW said:
All the people who are saying the 2001 version was better, I will still contest that.

While I was disappointed this episode didn't do the manga chapter justice (cutting out some really good parts and making it just too short), at least this Faust still felt like Faust.
I tried watching it in 2001 and apart from one or two little moments, Faust might as well have been an entirely different character.

I'd rather have the same manga Faust in shorter bursts than one I don't even recognize. This anime is still miles better than the original, which I feel missed the point of the manga entirely.

I agree with everything, the old anime was a bad adaptation (mainly in later episodes), the remake is not perfect but it is well done and extremely faithful to the manga
May 17, 2021 11:34 PM

Aug 2009
This episode was so bad that at the start of the fight the soundtrack music that's playing is cut SUDDENLY and after a brief akward 0.5 seconds, another one starts to play LMAO

Such a meme...

EDIT: Even I can edit (my commentary) better than these guys.
May 18, 2021 1:49 AM

Aug 2017
I'm really annoyed about how they overexplain everything instead of just showing.
That's where the pacing issues come from.

Was it already like that in the manga ? I don't remember.

Also Yoh acts like Manta is his best friend ever but we've never seen them actually being close, sharing moments, they just hang around together.
Even Ryu's friendship with his team is more detailed and touching than Yoh and Manta's.
May 18, 2021 4:57 AM
Feb 2020
Mucharetsu said:
I'm really annoyed about how they overexplain everything instead of just showing.
That's where the pacing issues come from.

Was it already like that in the manga ? I don't remember.

Also Yoh acts like Manta is his best friend ever but we've never seen them actually being close, sharing moments, they just hang around together.
Even Ryu's friendship with his team is more detailed and touching than Yoh and Manta's.

The anime cuts very little action. In fact I'm fairly confident episode 7 was the first time ANY of the attacks were cut from the anime.

Shaman King is 80% talking, the power system literally revolves about figuring out how to break your opponents concentration and get them to express any emotion, as it makes them weaker, an 8 chapter long fight is going to have less action than your typical shonen would in 1 chapter.

In case of this particular episode the problem wasn't even what it didn't show, the problem was that it completely removed it from the plot. And that's very bad. But any complaint about the earlier episodes? We were complaining they do not "overexplain" as you put it, enough to convey all of the important information.

If anything this anime actually does more showing, eg. Episode 1 got an amazing anime only scene, where after Manta runs off from the ghosts Yoh looks sad / disappointed for a second.
Episode 5 doesn't have an anime only scene, but because it was never said in the anime, they effectively "show don't tell" you that Yoh's inexperience with Oversoul means his Oversoul is overflowing, and wasting mana just by being active. (which is not what an oversoul should be doing)
May 18, 2021 8:43 AM

Aug 2017
TakafumiNaito said:

The anime cuts very little action. In fact I'm fairly confident episode 7 was the first time ANY of the attacks were cut from the anime.

Shaman King is 80% talking, the power system literally revolves about figuring out how to break your opponents concentration and get them to express any emotion, as it makes them weaker, an 8 chapter long fight is going to have less action than your typical shonen would in 1 chapter.

In case of this particular episode the problem wasn't even what it didn't show, the problem was that it completely removed it from the plot. And that's very bad. But any complaint about the earlier episodes? We were complaining they do not "overexplain" as you put it, enough to convey all of the important information.

If anything this anime actually does more showing, eg. Episode 1 got an amazing anime only scene, where after Manta runs off from the ghosts Yoh looks sad / disappointed for a second.
Episode 5 doesn't have an anime only scene, but because it was never said in the anime, they effectively "show don't tell" you that Yoh's inexperience with Oversoul means his Oversoul is overflowing, and wasting mana just by being active. (which is not what an oversoul should be doing)

Thanks for answering, I haven't read the manga in a while.

I don't mind talkings in a battle shonen at all, I was targetting moments like Anna saying "This Elisa seems very important to Faust..." after he lost it and Silva adding "This was a provocation toward Faust..." or Yoh and Amidamaru explaining why Yoh is crying. Just show him cry and let us understand by how it's shown.

About earlier episodes, as I was saying, I don't feel Yoh and Manta's friendship because we've haven't seen them being connected much if not at all. If such moments were in the manga, they should've kept them so we do feel more when Manta's life is being threatened. Of course, the censorship didn't help.

Well catched for that short anime only scene, has to be interesting to reread and compare
May 18, 2021 11:37 AM

Jan 2019
WTH are they doing to my bro Manta
May 18, 2021 3:24 PM

Nov 2009
Well, not as "horrific" as the original.

But that's mostly due to current age's "standards" that tones down violence to make it more watchable for current age ppls.

It's the same as all other anime they're doing these days, such as blood being rainbow colors, flesh-n-bones looking like robot bones after bieng cut, etc etc

But other than that, it's not that bad of an episode, everything else seems to be still in order and the graphic/ animations were pretty good.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
May 18, 2021 4:55 PM

May 2010
Overall kinda disappointed with this ep. Never really created that terrorizing atmosphere and the dread I thought I remembered about this fight. No bones littering the creepy cemetery, no replacing his own bone, and i would have like more alluding to vivisecting manta even if they didnt show it. Some other easier to implement things that would have been nice would have been stuff like general use of a darker pallet (it was so bright most of the time!) and shading or shadowing faces completely.
May 20, 2021 3:40 PM

Feb 2012
First time watcher

Being a doctor, I expected Faust to pull a heel face turn and heal Yoh or Manta after Yoh lost the fight. I expected too much...

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 20, 2021 4:16 PM

Mar 2016
Fortress_Maximus said:
First time watcher

Being a doctor, I expected Faust to pull a heel face turn and heal Yoh or Manta after Yoh lost the fight. I expected too much...

You sound disappointed with this revelation.... why?
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

May 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Jun 2019
Another underwhelming fight. Same problems persist. The backstories are so shoehorned in. Necromancer DIO was like “I am so furious right now I will take 3 minutes to explain origin story so you know why I’m mad!”.

I don’t think ithis anime is sub 7.00 bad, but it has certainly been disappointing.
May 20, 2021 8:30 PM

Mar 2016
Blue_Maroon said:
Another underwhelming fight. Same problems persist. The backstories are so shoehorned in. Necromancer DIO was like “I am so furious right now I will take 3 minutes to explain origin story so you know why I’m mad!”.

I don’t think ithis anime is sub 7.00 bad, but it has certainly been disappointing.

I'd be curious to what you would think of the manga chapter of this episode. It's a lot better.

May 21, 2021 11:19 AM

Nov 2009
Fortress_Maximus said:
First time watcher

A Necromancer healing people?...

I am pretty sure he would want them to be dead then rez them as Zombies instead. lol

Plus, before the fight, they already mentioned Faust already killed the previous Shaman. So it's already foreshadowing he will try and kill Yoh.

___ ___ ___

BTW, forgot to comment, the reason Yoh lost cause he ran out of Shaman Energy is actually correct. Since Faust didn't admit defeat, so Faust was still technically in play while Yoh is out. So by that, Faust won regardless if the fight continues or not, cause Yoh can't fight back anymore, so he'll lose no matter what.

We've already seen this in Yoh's previous fight with Horohoro, where Kororo ran out of energy and separated from the Snowboard, so Yoh won that fight cause Yoh was still able to fight but Horohoro wasn't.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
May 27, 2021 2:33 AM

Oct 2017
Things felt off this episode. I liked it overall but it could have been better. Specially the fight sequence felt really lackluster.
Jun 8, 2021 9:34 AM
Oct 2019
As soon as i hear Faust voice, hell yeahh..
That's Dio Seiyuu Takehito Koyasu, it's so good.

Tao Ren is the real problem, he just one shot the Giant Skull 😅
Jul 4, 2021 1:21 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good to see Faust and Elisa's fight against Yoh, and Ren's appearance at the end wow, it looked cool
Aug 14, 2021 6:11 PM
May 2020
So it seems like the people who are most upset about this series are the people who read the manga. Which I can understand their frustration. As someone who never gotten this far in Shaman king I liked this episode and the adaption so far.
Aug 14, 2021 11:05 PM

Aug 2012
I really looked forward to this episode, since the original version scared the crap out of me back in high school and so did the manga when I read it right afterwards.

And... Well... I´m a bit disappointed. I already expected them to cut lots of grotesque scenes, but they softened this part too much. Faust self-surgery was a must, they could just censor the worst details. There´s also the little jokes at the beginning of the manga, like Yoh talking with the ghost of a beefy sailor. Such a pity to see it that rushed.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Aug 22, 2021 1:31 AM

May 2015
Spooky cementery. Spooky shaman.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 11, 2023 11:19 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
How the hell could Manta survive a surgery under those circumstances with his frail body?
May 3, 2023 3:58 AM

Dec 2007
I must say, from the start of the shaman fight arc this remake is getting much better. sure, the pace is kind of fast, but it's being done well enough to transmit the desire content.

Yoh and Faust character development was well done here, unlike all character development so far.
though i hope they will slow down the pace a little, especially in the next battle.

can't believe we are already that close to where the 2001 version was in episode 17. man that's crazy lol
Jul 17, 2023 5:51 AM
Jul 2023
the excessive explanations ruin everything. although Faust was good
Nov 21, 2023 7:17 AM
Nov 2023
beat ANIME LENGED
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2021

53 by RitzyLunar »»
Yesterday, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 29 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2021

30 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 28 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2021

33 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 13, 7:58 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 27 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2021

36 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 7, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2021

30 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 1, 12:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.