Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 9, 2021 1:50 AM
Apr 2016
Good episode with some plot progression. The Legion is getting more and more intriguing..
May 9, 2021 2:07 AM
Nov 2019
Kaguyachinchin said:
While I know the Undertaker wanted to disconnect the Pararaid-- a warning would have been nice.

Kaie's seiyuu gonna give me nightmares no doubt about it. 5/5

He did warn her though.
May 9, 2021 2:26 AM
Jan 2021
I fucking loved it
May 9, 2021 2:28 AM
Jan 2021
Can I just say how god damn good those transitions are? Like c'mon! I never see those kinds of artistic and cinematic choices very often in anime and I think it's awesome!.
May 9, 2021 3:04 AM
May 2017
The anime is not bad, but not great either. I probably had my hopes up too high, I really liked the initial concept of the show, I was expecting better. Or "better" is not the right word, I was expecting something different.
I was expecting a relatively down-to-earth utopian story (this time the mechs are not the usual human-shaped ones), where the main or at least any of the story will be about the "enslaved vs enslaver", as the republic is treating the 86-s as their slaves and they will eventually fight back.

But instead, we have Kirito jumping across the battlefield killing dozens of enemies by himself (even though he only has guns, still basically goes melee), and what could make this even "better",,, he has superpowers!
Kirito"s "curse" does not seem too serious, just turn off the "brain link" thingy (or whatever it is called) when he says so (he is so super concerned about his handlers health that he says in advance when), and why do they even need this mysterious "brain link" thing, the others are communicating between each other perfectly fine without it (or if they are using brain link thingy too, why Kirito's curse is not affecting them?).

The robots obviously can copy dead people's brains, cuz why couldn't they (I don't blame the republic for not preparing for this, it is such an asspull thing). Anyway, it is very convenient that the republic doesn't allow the burial of dead 86-s (umm WTF? apart from very basic human right concerns, do they want plagues?). Although why do they even need the 86-s brains? They annihilated an entire country, there were enough people there, why didn't they just show up with people's brains from day one?

And in this episode, the kids are apparently "feeling lonely" because their slave driver from the high seat has not called them today. They are getting awfully friendly with someone driving them onto the battlefield to die. So apparently their situation does not seem to bother them that much, wanting to talk to someone who represents the republic, which has basically exterminated their entire race (the dude said it is only the children remaining), treats them as cannon fodder, and does not even allow them to bury their dead.

The white-haired girl does an excellent job at making them believe that she cares: "Oh, it is just so awful what has been done to you! Wait, hold on a little, I'm going downtown some for some cake, then we can continue."
She is the embodiment of modern "thoughts and prayers" culture.
imSOuniqueMay 9, 2021 3:31 AM
May 9, 2021 3:36 AM
May 2008
imSOunique said:
The anime is not bad, but not great either. I probably had my hopes up too high, I really liked the initial concept of the show, I was expecting better. Or "better" is not the right word, I was expecting something different.

It's quite funny. Like every sentence you wrote are fundamentally wrong. it's quite obvious that you have zero idea what's the show and it's characters about

imSOunique said:
But instead, we have Kirito jumping across the battlefield killing dozens of enemies by himself (even though he only has guns, still basically goes melee), and what could make this even "better",,, he has superpowers!
There is no teamwork, tactics, or anything, just Kirito goes brrrr.

He is so not Kirito and there is teamwork there. He is usually a vanguard getting the enemy's attention while the others cover him and shoot the legion. The only "superpower" he has is hearing the Legion. That's it. He only knows when they'll attack so he can react them way faster. Also it takes a huge toll on him and also on people he is fighting with.

imSOunique said:
The robots obviously can copy dead people's brains, cuz why couldn't they (I don't blame the republic for not preparing for this, it is such an asspull thing). Anyway, it is very convenient that the republic doesn't allow the burial of dead 86-s (umm WTF? apart from very basic human right concerns, do they want plagues?). Although why do they even need the 86-s brains? They annihilated an entire country, there were enough people there, why didn't they just show up with people's brains from day one?

Apparently every exposition that any anime gives you is an asspull. In episode 1 ,after Kujo died. Raiden asked Shin about his brother voice. Also on episode 2 there were some noise before the artillery strike. It's quite obvious that the anime was building up for this since the very beginning.
And they don't need 86-ers brain. They need any person's brain.... It''s just convinient that 86ers who are avaliable for them, since they are the one fighting with. They would take Alba brain aswell, but since 99% of them are inside the wall it's difficult. Also there were vocies since day 1, but only very few people can hear them. Like the only person we know can hear it, is Shin.

imSOunique said:
And in this episode, the kids are apparently "feeling lonely" because their slave driver from the high seat has not called them today. They are getting awfully friendly with someone driving them onto the battlefield to die. So apparently their situation does not seem to bother them that much, wanting to talk to someone who represents the republic, which has basically exterminated their entire race (the dude said it is only the children remaining), treats them as cannon fodder, and does not even allow them to bury their dead.

Oh wow. She is doing none of those. She is not the one who bansiehd them, she is not the one who won't let the 86 to collect the fallen. What are you talking about? It's the San Magnolia's government doing this. Lena is all against these decisions. Also this every night talking is happening every single day for like 1-2 months now in the anime. That's why it was weird for them for her not calling in an usual time.

imSOunique said:
The white-haired girl does an excellent job at making them believe that she cares: "Oh, it is just so awful what has been done to you! Wait, hold on a little, I'm going downtown some for some cake, then we can continue."She is the embodiment of modern "thoughts and prayers" culture.

Once again she doesn't want to attend. Also against holding a party in a war time. She is even saying this out loud to Shin. He is the one saying that she should go which she eventually gives in. Also she is from a noble family. Nobles have social pressure to attend these, else they'll bring shame to the family name.

It's quite obivious that you are trolling and not even paying attention when you watch the anime, if you watch it at all. Keep the h8 m8.
UTMANMay 9, 2021 3:46 AM
May 9, 2021 3:41 AM
Jun 2020
imSOunique said:
I was expecting a relatively down-to-earth utopian story (this time the mechs are not the usual human-shaped ones), where the main or at least any of the story will be about the "enslaved vs enslaver", as the republic is treating the 86-s as their slaves and they will eventually fight back.

Kirito"s "curse" does not seem too serious, just turn off the "brain link" thingy (or whatever it is called) when he says so (he is so super concerned about his handlers health that he says in advance when), and why do they even need this mysterious "brain link" thing, the others are communicating between each other perfectly fine without it (or if they are using brain link thingy too, why Kirito's curse is not affecting them?).

The white-haired girl does an excellent job at making them believe that she cares: "Oh, it is just so awful what has been done to you! Wait, hold on a little, I'm going downtown some for some cake, then we can continue."
She is the embodiment of modern "thoughts and prayers" culture.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard so far 🤣
May 9, 2021 3:49 AM

May 2019
Really enjoyed this episode, finally, it's picking up and it seems like a great direction. Hope it really keeps up in this vein.
May 9, 2021 4:02 AM
Mar 2018
Fortress_Maximus said:
00:00 “When she awoke, she was surrounded by a sea of flames.”

We're introduced to Rei in full, who really made an impression on Lena.

01:42 You can tell how much Lena's been crying with the red patches near her eyes.

02:52 Rei breaks the chocolate bar right after Lena asks him about his brother; broken bonds and separation.

06:22 Smug Annette, Well-drawn food that doesn't get ruined, for once... Annette's wall of suitor photographs can be to compared to the Spearhead Squadron's wall of caricatures of their handlers as pigs.

09:01 Fireworks 💗🎆

10:08 Lena's imagination runs wild...

10:33 A spider on the window when the Legion are mentioned, and we transition to a combat scene (repeated from two perspectives). The voices of the Legion come off frightening, as they should be.

15:15 As we segue into Shin providing as much information to the audience as he does to Lena, Lena shows herself to be unlike the other Handlers... Raiden's "I'm impressed" sums it up.

16:23 A closeup of Shin's scar when he mentions that he thought he had died.

18:23 The caricatures of Alba handlers (Lena's caricature specifically) and rats are shown while Shin explains the beyond grotesque acts that the Legion do to human beings, to so-called "86". Lena's voice actress really delivers the feeling

19:20 “You, he said. Not we.” A flower is selected by an insect among the withered ones as Shin begins to explain the "Legion Shepherds" to Lena.

21:58 “Shin smiled wryly. It had a faint, gentle feeling to it.”

23:20 “Entering the dimly lit space, he looked at his own moonlit image reflected in the window’s glass.”

23:27 “Shin calmly reached out his hand and gently touched the scar on the neck of his reflection.”

The fuck is this shit lmao?
May 9, 2021 4:14 AM
Jun 2020
SNDT said:
Fortress_Maximus said:
00:00 “When she awoke, she was surrounded by a sea of flames.”

We're introduced to Rei in full, who really made an impression on Lena.

01:42 You can tell how much Lena's been crying with the red patches near her eyes.

02:52 Rei breaks the chocolate bar right after Lena asks him about his brother; broken bonds and separation.

06:22 Smug Annette, Well-drawn food that doesn't get ruined, for once... Annette's wall of suitor photographs can be to compared to the Spearhead Squadron's wall of caricatures of their handlers as pigs.

09:01 Fireworks 💗🎆

10:08 Lena's imagination runs wild...

10:33 A spider on the window when the Legion are mentioned, and we transition to a combat scene (repeated from two perspectives). The voices of the Legion come off frightening, as they should be.

15:15 As we segue into Shin providing as much information to the audience as he does to Lena, Lena shows herself to be unlike the other Handlers... Raiden's "I'm impressed" sums it up.

16:23 A closeup of Shin's scar when he mentions that he thought he had died.

18:23 The caricatures of Alba handlers (Lena's caricature specifically) and rats are shown while Shin explains the beyond grotesque acts that the Legion do to human beings, to so-called "86". Lena's voice actress really delivers the feeling

19:20 “You, he said. Not we.” A flower is selected by an insect among the withered ones as Shin begins to explain the "Legion Shepherds" to Lena.

21:58 “Shin smiled wryly. It had a faint, gentle feeling to it.”

23:20 “Entering the dimly lit space, he looked at his own moonlit image reflected in the window’s glass.”

23:27 “Shin calmly reached out his hand and gently touched the scar on the neck of his reflection.”

The fuck is this shit lmao?

This is a really good breakdown 👍
May 9, 2021 4:19 AM

Jul 2019
Reload said:
vF_Wackiier said:
I see why every other handler has quit, that actually hurts to hear. When Lena was back in her room and heard the voices, then Kaie grabbed out to her...
Studio may have overdid it there considering the two never met each other, so Lena shouldn't really have a mental image of how Kaie looked like. Sure, one could say the Para-RAID may be capable of transferring Shin's image of her to anyone listening in or something, but then it becomes a question of why only Shin. Not sure if the source material wrote this in as well, but it best be explained if so.

Nah, that wasn't in the LN.
May 9, 2021 4:20 AM

Jul 2019
Antanaru said:
This is getting trippy. Though, to be honest, until now I somehow didn't register the nature of the Legion. I thought it was an autonomous force of another country, not AI 'ala Skynet. The level of debauchery and incompetence of albinos in this situation is stretching my suspension of disbelief. Also, shame they were hinting at who is one of shepherds so blatantly. Could use some nuance there. Despite that, this show turned out to be a solid surprise od this season.

The identity of the Shepherd isn't really meant to be a twist moment. It's something that you're meant to figure out quite easily
May 9, 2021 5:08 AM
May 2017
UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:
There is no teamwork, tactics, or anything, just Kirito goes brrrr.

He is so not Kirito and there is teamwork there. He is usually a vanguard getting the enemy's attention while the others cover him and shoot the legion.

Yeah, I deleted the teamwork part as in the 2nd episode there is some sort of, but still, most of the time all we see are guns blazing and Kirito charging forward into dozens of enemies and never getting hit. The anime is being realistic with robots not using swords and all, but apparently Kirito missed this info and still goes melee all the time.

UTMAN said:
The only "superpower" he has is hearing the Legion. That's it. He only knows when they'll attack so he can react them way faster. Also it takes a huge toll on him and also on people he is fighting with.

Still a superpower, why do they bring superpower into a "realistic" anime.
Idk, I am not seeing any toll on anybody (only the handler).

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

Apparently every exposition that any anime gives you is an asspull. In episode 1 ,after Kujo died. Raiden asked Shin about his brother voice. Also on episode 2 there were some noise before the artillery strike. It's quite obvious that the anime was building up for this since the very beginning.
And they don't need 86-ers brain. They need any person's brain.... It''s just convinient that 86ers who are avaliable for them, since they are the one fighting with. They would take Alba brain aswell, but since 99% of them are inside the wall it's difficult. Also there were vocies since day 1, but only very few people can hear them. Like the only person we know can hear it, is Shin.

As asspull I meant that it is a "realistic" anime, yet random shit can happen, like why couldn't robots replace their program with literally people's brains somehow converted into a program and Kirito somehow even can hear this program, cuz idk superpower (why can't he hear their basic program, why can't he hear the program of the toaster in the kitchen?). Again it is just personal as I thought, this anime wants to be more realistic and less supernatural.

Why not every single enemy robot has a "brain"? They killed millions of people in their home county.
Or idk, if they figured out this brain copy thing later, when their home county's became unusable, apparently more than one robot can have the same brain why don't they copy the available some brains to all of the robots.

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

Oh wow. She is doing none of those. She is not the one who bansiehd them, she is not the one who won't let the 86 to collect the fallen. What are you talking about? It's the San Magnolia's government doing this. Lena is all against these decisions. Also this every night talking is happening every single day for like 1-2 months now in the anime. That's why it was weird for them for her not calling in an usual time.

I am just saying they are basically slaves, yet they are happily chatting daily with their slave driver. For me, it is just not too realistic.
At least in the beginning they acted pretty hostile (not Kirito, he was always very nice to her). Since then nothing at all changed for them, they are still in the same terrible situation, and apparently, they are now besties.

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:
The white-haired girl does an excellent job at making them believe that she cares: "Oh, it is just so awful what has been done to you! Wait, hold on a little, I'm going downtown some for some cake, then we can continue."She is the embodiment of modern "thoughts and prayers" culture.

Once again she doesn't want to attend. Also against holding a party in a war time. She is even saying this out loud to Shin. He is the one saying that she should go which she eventually gives in. Also she is from a noble family. Nobles have social pressure to attend these, else they'll bring shame to the family name.

She's always just talking about "oh poor you", yet does nothing about the situation, even continues to partake in exploiting them. That was what I meant by "thoughts and prayers".
I wasn't talking about the party (she didn't even attend it afterall, did she?), but she does not seem to be all that deeply depressed about the terrible fate of the poor 86 children, so she couldn't go for some cake (earlier in the episode).
This is more about the tone of the anime, they are trying to present it as dark as it gets, yet our girl is happily eating cake. This is not like a horrible mistake, but the anime certainly not doing the dark theme flawlessly.

Even after saying all this, I do not think the anime is bad, it is just not the second coming of Jesus as everybody here seems to think.
May 9, 2021 5:12 AM
May 2017
addie1998 said:

Thank you for your deep thoughts.
May 9, 2021 5:17 AM
Apr 2020
Great direction throughout multiple scenes. Plot is developed, tension ensued and character development for Lena and Shin all in one episode and nothing feels forced.
The psychological aspect of this show (war particularly) should attract more ppl to it who otherwise ignore mech
"Who am I ? Where do I come from ? Where am I going ? That's all I want to think about"
-Saikawa Sohei
May 9, 2021 5:31 AM
Mar 2016
kljy said:
Koustubh said:
Damn, if the Republic just stays so stupid, they are going to be annihilated super fast, without any sign of warning.
Based on the Republic years of propaganda, they'll get fucked up real, real bad. Annihilated is an understatement of how fucked up the Republic was.

Actually, Republic getting annihilated without any remains was better for humanity.

No spoiler at all ;)

Holy shit how are they going to animate that creepy fucked up volume 4 if there will be a sequel?
May 9, 2021 5:46 AM
May 2008
imSOunique said:
Yeah, I deleted the teamwork part as in the 2nd episode there is some sort of, but still, most of the time all we see are guns blazing and Kirito charging forward into dozens of enemies and never getting hit. The anime is being realistic with robots not using swords and all, but apparently Kirito missed this info and still goes melee all the time.

He is going in melee because the enemy is heavily armored. The small enemies can be dealt with, however the bigger enemies you have no chance do deal with them melee wise because they outarmor and outdamage the 86-ers juggernout. They need to think outside of the box.

imSOunique said:

It never was and meant to be a "realistic" anime. It takes toll on handlers and it would take toll on newby teammates aswell. His mates are seasoned weterans who experienced a lot of deaths and misery so they are way more resistant. Also it depends on the synchronization rate. It is set on very low. If it were turned to max it could screw them. For example the handler who suicided, shin turned the rate a lot higher becasue the handler was an ass. Like giving suicidal orders to 86-ers, so yeah....

imSOunique said:
As asspull I meant that it is a "realistic" anime, yet random shit can happen, like why couldn't robots replace their program with literally people's brains somehow converted into a program and Kirito somehow even can hear this program, cuz idk superpower (why can't he hear their basic program, why can't he hear the program of the toaster in the kitchen?). Again it is just personal as I thought, this anime wants to be more realistic and less supernatural.

Why not every single enemy robot has a "brain"? They killed millions of people in their home county.
Or idk, if they figured out this brain copy thing later, when their home county's became unusable, apparently more than one robot can have the same brain why don't they copy the available some brains to all of the robots.

Okay, I said before it's not a realistic anime. It has fiction elements.
He can only hear "ghosts", The legion collected human brains, and copied those into some of the versions of the Legion design. The basic ones don't have these, howver there are types which have this. It's called "Black SHeep" and "SHepard"

Black sheeps are having brains copied into them which are already damaegd/decayed. So it's not quite functional, but still working a bit. Shepards on the other hand have a healthy brain copied into them. Toasters and microwaves don't function like this. And why not every robot has it? Because the older ones are outdated. The legion evolves and developes more advaned versions. So it's possible that later on we will meet a lot more black sheeps.

imSOunique said:
I am just saying they are basically slaves, yet they are happily chatting daily with their slave driver. For me, it is just not too realistic.
At least in the beginning they acted pretty hostile (not Kirito, he was always very nice to her). Since then nothing at all changed for them, they are still in the same terrible situation, and apparently, they are now besties.

Well they are not really happy with her. They tolerate her, but that's it. Also she is sending useful information regarding enemy composition, positions and useful map locations where they can deploy. THis doesn't mean they respect her or think her an equal. It was said in episode 4. Also it's not shown yet, but some 86-ers still hate Lena no matter what. For example the Gunslinger girl. And it's not true nothing changed. Lena usually provides them with useful support. They would have a lot more casuality if they had no or an idiot handler. She takes her job in a very responsible manner.

imSOunique said:
She's always just talking about "oh poor you", yet does nothing about the situation, even continues to partake in exploiting them. That was what I meant by "thoughts and prayers".
I wasn't talking about the party (she didn't even attend it afterall, did she?), but she does not seem to be all that deeply depressed about the terrible fate of the poor 86 children, so she couldn't go for some cake (earlier in the episode).
This is more about the tone of the anime, they are trying to present it as dark as it gets, yet our girl is happily eating cake. This is not like a horrible mistake, but the anime certainly not doing the dark theme flawlessly.

Because she cannot do anything for them. The best thing she can do is do her job properly and help them in their battles so less of them dies. Also when it comes to supplies she does everything in her power so they get everything they need.
Other than this she is powerless. Any order that would cost 86 lives she cannot overrule because she has supervisor officers who can overrule her command. And the Alba population doesn't really care that 86-ers die, so she cannot really change the peoples mind about this. You saw this in the lecture scene. She is powerless in this situation. She can't do anything to save them from their situation.
UTMANMay 9, 2021 6:02 AM
May 9, 2021 6:21 AM

Aug 2017
Is it bad that i didn't understand what happened this episode?
May 9, 2021 6:30 AM
May 2008
SenseiDaichi said:

What did you not understand?
May 9, 2021 6:43 AM
Mar 2021
Lena and Shin backstory is very interesting in this episode. So, Lena was saved by Shin's older brother, Rei. But what was rather surprising was that the legions used human brains, now it's messed up.
May 9, 2021 7:01 AM

Aug 2017
UTMAN said:
SenseiDaichi said:

mostly everything about the black sheeps
May 9, 2021 7:12 AM
Jun 2020
SenseiDaichi said:
UTMAN said:

There are actually 4 classifications but i will mention only 3 at the moment:

White Sheep: The Legion which had not yet replaced their central processors.

Black Sheep: The Legion that had adopted the decayed brain structure of dead humans, capable of limited human intelligence.

Shepherd: The Legion that had adopted the un-decayed brain structure of living or recently dead humans, capable of full human intelligence and leadership.
addie1998May 9, 2021 7:18 AM
May 9, 2021 7:13 AM
May 2008
SenseiDaichi said:
UTMAN said:

Okay. Legion is made with a processing unit with the structure of an artificial human brain in mind. However this has a lifespan of 50.000 hours. The war is happeend 9 years ago, so this processing unit is about to expire. So in order to survive the Legion started to look for alternatives: Human Brains. So when they kill a human they collect their bodies/brains and look at it if it's useful enough for them or not. IF the brain is partially damaged (headshot) or decayed it can be copied into legion drones. These called Black Sheeps. They are kinda like commanders for the Legion. If the Brain is in pristine condition and it gets copied into a unit. It will be called a Shepard and it's even more stronger than Black Sheeps. I hope it's more undestandable now.
May 9, 2021 7:27 AM

Mar 2013
Another great episode!

We had a little of the undertaker's brother's past and how vladilena met him.

The major milizé feels why many others in her position do not have the psychological support to work with that team, which would be due to the voices that the undertaker listens to and shares with those who are connected to him through "para-RAID".

And lastly the legion uses copies of artificial brains ... and boom! Including those killed on the battlefield. I imagine how tense it is for the shin-chan.

May 9, 2021 7:37 AM
Oct 2020
tatakae tatakae tatakae
imSOunique said:
addie1998 said:

Thank you for your deep thoughts.
May 9, 2021 8:20 AM

Aug 2017
addie1998 said:
SenseiDaichi said:

Black Sheep: The Legion that had adopted the decayed brain structure of dead humans, capable of limited human intelligence.

Shepherd: The Legion that had adopted the un-decayed brain structure of living or recently dead humans, capable of full human intelligence and leadership.
UTMAN said:
SenseiDaichi said:

Okay. Legion is made with a processing unit with the structure of an artificial human brain in mind. However this has a lifespan of 50.000 hours. The war is happeend 9 years ago, so this processing unit is about to expire. So in order to survive the Legion started to look for alternatives: Human Brains. So when they kill a human they collect their bodies/brains and look at it if it's useful enough for them or not. IF the brain is partially damaged (headshot) or decayed it can be copied into legion drones. These called Black Sheeps. They are kinda like commanders for the Legion. If the Brain is in pristine condition and it gets copied into a unit. It will be called a Shepard and it's even more stronger than Black Sheeps. I hope it's more undestandable now.
thanks for the expaining, but how did they mange to get kaie's brain structure, when the 86 beat them?
May 9, 2021 8:29 AM
Jun 2020
GoldenDevilGamer said:
We're nearly halfway there through the season and a bit more than halfway done volume 1. Although it seems like the anime can cover volume 1 in 9-10 episodes, I doubt this season will start volume 2. They'll probably add more anime-original stuff, since volume 2 and 3 would work better as its own season.

The novels never had an illustration of Shin's brother, so it's cool to see him in the anime! Wasn't expecting those glasses, lol.

I really liked how they handled the scene with the Para-RAID resonance during the battle. The way they handled the Legion's voice was pretty cool. And Lena's reaction to it was well done. Jumping to the Spearhead's perspective, we can see how accustomed they are to it.

The directing of this episode was really solid. Not just the Para-RAID scene, but I also really like how they directed Shin's conversation with Lena at the end. Interesting shots and good music made the explanation behind the Legion more intense.

We also got to see Shin's scar that he was hiding under his scarf. Seems like it's tied to his brother in some way.

Probably the most amount of content this season has covered in a single episode, and the least amount of anime-original content in an episode. Even then, this episode only covered 1/9th of volume 1, approximately half of what the average LN adaptation episode would cover).

My opinion but instead of adding anime original stuff they'll probably start adapting volume 2 since this show is split cour
May 9, 2021 8:32 AM
May 2008
SenseiDaichi said:
addie1998 said:

UTMAN said:

thanks for the expaining, but how did they mange to get kaie's brain structure, when the 86 beat them?

86 are not allowed to collect the body. Also Kaie got beheaded and her head flew away and was not found. Legion scavengers are also possible which revisit battlegrounds to collect corspes.
May 9, 2021 8:40 AM

Oct 2015
SenseiDaichi said:
but how did they mange to get kaie's brain structure, when the 86 beat them?

It's not shown in the anime, but in the novel Kaie's death is depicted a bit more clearly and it explain why the Legion could get her brain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2021 9:05 AM

Jul 2016
The show is finally picking up and I am completely hooked into the story now. 5/5
May 9, 2021 9:32 AM

Jan 2021
I did think he would have some kinda supernatural backstory as to why he could tell where they were coming from..but mann I didnt expect it to be this creepy.
May 9, 2021 9:38 AM
May 2017
UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

He is going in melee because the enemy is heavily armored. The small enemies can be dealt with, however the bigger enemies you have no chance do deal with them melee wise because they outarmor and outdamage the 86-ers juggernout. They need to think outside of the box.

You might be right, but so far I have once seen a single tank-looking one, all of the others look identical to me.

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

It never was and meant to be a "realistic" anime. It takes toll on handlers and it would take toll on newby teammates aswell. His mates are seasoned weterans who experienced a lot of deaths and misery so they are way more resistant. Also it depends on the synchronization rate. It is set on very low. If it were turned to max it could screw them. For example the handler who suicided, shin turned the rate a lot higher becasue the handler was an ass. Like giving suicidal orders to 86-ers, so yeah....

They can change the "synchronization rate"? Why? All they do is communicate with it, why would they ever set it higher?
Can he separately set the "synchronization" to low for his teammates so they don't go mad and high for the handler so does? Why could a foot solder mess with the handler's synchronization rate?
(My guess was that the "curse" only spreads with this "brain synchronization" and the squad on the battlefield actually communicates somehow else (radio or something), that's why they are not affected. The handlers probably need the "brain synchronization" because they are far af.)

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

Okay, I said before it's not a realistic anime. It has fiction elements.
He can only hear "ghosts", The legion collected human brains, and copied those into some of the versions of the Legion design. The basic ones don't have these, howver there are types which have this. It's called "Black SHeep" and "SHepard"

Black sheeps are having brains copied into them which are already damaegd/decayed. So it's not quite functional, but still working a bit. Shepards on the other hand have a healthy brain copied into them. Toasters and microwaves don't function like this. And why not every robot has it? Because the older ones are outdated. The legion evolves and developes more advaned versions. So it's possible that later on we will meet a lot more black sheeps.

Yeah I get the Black Sheep, Sheperd thing. The toaster thing was again from the "realistic" aspect. If they copy a human brain into them it is data on a disk. It is not alive, it is not a ghost, it is an object. By the logic of him hearing that computer program on a disk, he may as well hear the program of a toaster (or any other electric device).

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

Well they are not really happy with her. They tolerate her, but that's it. Also she is sending useful information regarding enemy composition, positions and useful map locations where they can deploy. THis doesn't mean they respect her or think her an equal. It was said in episode 4. Also it's not shown yet, but some 86-ers still hate Lena no matter what. For example the Gunslinger girl. And it's not true nothing changed. Lena usually provides them with useful support. They would have a lot more casuality if they had no or an idiot handler. She takes her job in a very responsible manner.

"But you know, I thought they'd all pass out from exhaustion.
Maybe they're all feeling lonely.
At this time, normally...
No Handler's ever called after hearing those voices." (15:28)
People don't feel lonely if someone they only tolerate, don't call them. (Yes, it is only one line, so it is not the biggest plothole ever, but still..)
And why on Earth are Kirito and his brother are so damn nice to the "silver folk"? From the very moment, he is as nice as possible to her, and it is said before that he does not want to break the handlers. And his brother saves her from the battlefield and talks like a true patriot.
"It's a citizen's duty to fight to protect his county.
It is something to be proud of." (02:25)
Had he lost it? It is like in WW2 a Jewish person (one that was born in Germany) in the concentration camp would say: "Man, Germany is such a good country".
They both seem like the most basic nice guy character ever, which is not good by default, but in their life situation, this character also makes absolutely no sense.
(Things like this does not make the show terrible, but for me it automatically cannot be "great")

"Gunslinger girl"
Pls don't speak in code names, it took me quite a time to find out who "Karlsruhe" (or something) was (the one who died). As far as I know they said it exactly once to its bearer, so we could know who it actually is. Speak in hair colors or something :D
(just a side note, if you want to see some dark anime, then watch "Gunslinger Girl", in some aspect it may even be similar to this one, but overall very different)

UTMAN said:
imSOunique said:

Because she cannot do anything for them. The best thing she can do is do her job properly and help them in their battles so less of them dies. Also when it comes to supplies she does everything in her power so they get everything they need.
Other than this she is powerless. Any order that would cost 86 lives she cannot overrule because she has supervisor officers who can overrule her command. And the Alba population doesn't really care that 86-ers die, so she cannot really change the peoples mind about this. You saw this in the lecture scene. She is powerless in this situation. She can't do anything to save them from their situation.

Mostly I was trying to say, that the show portrays itself as dark. (Indeed the setting is very dark, 86-s are having terrible fate, as we currently know it they and the republic stand no chance against the legion.)
But it does not act as something that is dark.
It is only one example:
Character is deeply concerned with the situation of 86-s and the fact that every day hundreds of people die out on the battlefield, and nobody even recognizes them. Then we are not showing her having the time of her life enjoying a cake with outbursting joy.
(Again this is not a huge issue, and might be personal preference, but makes me feel like they could be doing a better job with setting the tone of the anime)

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me :D

Edit: I found this conversation funny (maybe because not perfect translation, etc, but still)
"But the Republic will lose years from now,
after you've all been wiped out, right?
That's true.
So we just need to wipe out the Legion before then." (21:27)
The dude might be thinking:
Yeah, sure, only after we all died. No need to hurry, really, we're just dying out here every minute, let's take our time with this world-saving plan. REALLY NO NEED TO FCKIN HURRY
imSOuniqueMay 9, 2021 10:07 AM
May 9, 2021 9:44 AM

May 2014
This was good, i mean really good! The psychological aspect in this show is amazing. I had chills throughout the episode.
On a side note: that shadow kissing scene was cute as hell
May 9, 2021 9:55 AM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
This episode was amazing and masterfully executed, like the whole series until now, but it still raises some questions.
I am wondering how Shinei's brother (and therefore Shinei himself) ended up serving the Republic if the family is from the Giad Empire. Having moved to the Republic before war could be a reasonable explanation, but If I intended correctly the family is supposed to still live inside the Empire (if alive). Am I missing something or they will explain this furtherly? And why Lena had asked nothing about it?
Also, why the voices of "ghosts" showed up only now and not in previous fights?
I don't know if those questions are still unanswered by the series or it's me who is not paying enough attention to some details.
May 9, 2021 10:16 AM
May 2008
imSOunique said:
They can change the "synchronization rate"? Why? All they do is communicate with it, why would they ever set it higher?
Can he separately set the "synchronization" to low for his teammates so they don't go mad and high for the handler so does? Why could a foot solder mess with the handler's synchronization rate?
(My guess was that the "curse" only spreads with this "brain synchronization" and the squad on the battlefield actually communicates somehow else (radio or something), that's why they are not affected. The handlers probably need the "brain synchronization" because they are far af.)

It can be set higher yes. I only read LN volume 1, so it might get expanded later. But it can be used more than just communication. It can share all 5 senses. They just use the hearing part for communication.

They don't use alternative communication like radio. It gets blocked by the flying butterfly thingy legion droids. The only way they can communicate is via the Para-raid units. And yes they can turn up the synchronization aswell because it is a mutual device. They could call Lena aswell, not just Lena them. Also you can turn it on or off if you want to. So my guess is when Shin decided to break his handler by upping the synchronization level the others decided to turn their para-raid units off temporarily. So it's not really something mere footsoilders can do aswell unless they want to kill themselves aswell.

imSOunique said:
Yeah I get the Black Sheep, Sheperd thing. The toaster thing was again from the "realistic" aspect. If they copy a human brain into them it is data on a disk. It is not alive, it is not a ghost, it is an object. By the logic of him hearing that computer program on a disk, he may as well hear the program of a toaster (or every other electric device).

Well this is where we reaching to the point where philosophy comes in. Let's assume theoretically we could make an artificial copy of your brain. Would that be you? And the thing is their program is working just like a human brain does. That's the core of the issue.

imSOunique said:
People don't feel lonely if someone they only tolerate, don't call them. (Yes, it is only one line, so it is not the biggest plothole ever, but still..)
And why on Earth are Kirito and his brother are so damn nice to the "silver folk"? From the very moment, he is as nice as possible to her, and it is said before that he does not want to break the handlers. And his brother saves her from the battlefield and talks like a true patriot.
"It's a citizen's duty to fight to protect his county.
It is something to be proud of."

For the first part it's quite easy. This nightly talks became some kind of ritual for the team. Every night she calls, and they talk with each other. They don't hate each other. So it's kinda more than just "tolerate". The Gunslinger girl is the red haired one, who ran out during episode 3. She is certanly doesn't like Lena. Others are okay with it. Also there are people who leave from toxic relationships and feel lonely after even though it was a horrible experience. Like it or not, Lena treats them as Human more than any Alba handler ever did. So this is kinda the reason.

For the second part it's a bit spoiler terrority, but if you do not mind it I can give it you:

imSOunique said:
Character is deeply concerned with the situation of 86-s and the fact that every day hundreds of people die out on the battlefield, and nobody even recognizes them. Then we are not showing her having the time of her life enjoying a cake with outbursting joy.
(Again this is not a huge issue, and might be personal preference, but makes me feel like they could be doing a better job with setting the tone of the anime)

I kinda agree, but it has some kind of background to that aswell. Like there is no natural food in the Republic. Everything is synthetic and natural indigredients are very very rare. So being able to eat real strawberry after all the dull food must have been nice for Lena. Also I think it's directing reason aswell. You can't be dark 100% of the time. The show would get really stale on the long run. This way the darker moments can hit harder.

imSOunique said:
Anyway, thanks for putting up with me :D

No problem dude. At least with you I'm having a conversation not like most of the people. :)
May 9, 2021 10:32 AM
May 2017
SenseiDaichi said:
UTMAN said:

they quickly emailed it home :D

UTMAN said:
Legion is made with a processing unit with the structure of an artificial human brain in mind. However this has a lifespan of 50.000 hours. The war is happeend 9 years ago, so this processing unit is about to expire.

So it is like an SSD. It is produced in a way that it has a life expectancy for example 150 TBW (Terabytes Written). This means no matter what, after you have written 150 terabytes data on it, it will break.

But wouldn't that make newly manufactured robots also have a fix 50.000 hours (5,7 years) to live? But it is from now, so they won't expire in the next 2 years. All they need to do is to always toss away the old ones, that are about to expire. They are doing something like this, or in the 9-year war they would have expired 1.5 times already.
So apparently they don't really need the human brains after all. They just fancy it: Matrix x Promised Neverland.

UTMAN said:
It can be set higher yes. I only read LN volume 1, so it might get expanded later. But it can be used more than just communication. It can share all 5 senses. They just use the hearing part for communication.

In my job, we are working with hierarchical systems. For example, X's superior can modify X's access to data, but X cannot modify his superior's access to data, cuz why could he.

The handler is the superior. Why could the foot soldier just randomly turn up his superior's synchronization on his own? Why can the superior's synchronization be set on high. In his position, he wouldn't ever want to share any other sense than hearing, maybe vision, but that's about all.
It is probably a badly coded system :D
imSOuniqueMay 9, 2021 10:56 AM
May 9, 2021 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
Thrasher96 said:

From what I understood from the episode it's because in previous fights they weren't engaging Black Sheep directly, unlike this time. Shin can always hear their voices but unless he's near them physically he can't transmit them to the others via Para-RAID.

The rest of your questions are things I think are yet to be revealed imo. Though Lena not asking more can be seen as just her not wishing to intrude in private matters too deeply.
May 9, 2021 10:39 AM
May 2008
imSOunique said:
So it is like an SSD. It is produced in a way that it has a life expectancy for example 150 TBW (Terabytes Written). This means no matter what, after you have written 150 terabytes data on it, it will break.

But wouldn't that make newly manufactured robots also have a fix 50.000 hours (5,7 years) to live? But it is from now, so they won't expire in the next 2 years. All they need to do is to always toss away the old ones, that are about to expire. They are doing something like this, or in the 9-year war they would have expired 1.5 times already.
So apparently they don't really need the human brains after all. They just fancy it: Matrix x Promised Neverland.

Noooot quite.

Let's say you have an oiriginal SSD in your HQ. It has a life expectancy of 50.000 hours (let's stick with the anime's number). How you build your droids is copying this SSD but the copy is going to be as old as the original one. So after 10.000 hours, the original has 40.000 hours left, this means all the copy you make is going to have 40.000 hours left aswell. And once that original SSD dies you cannot make any more copy of it. This is why they need brains. That's what they copy and put it in the newer droids, and as long as they can kill and resupply brains they can extend the Legions life duration.
UTMANMay 9, 2021 10:59 AM
May 9, 2021 10:56 AM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
DamnThatsTheSpot said:
Thrasher96 said:

From what I understood from the episode it's because in previous fights they weren't engaging Black Sheep directly, unlike this time. Shin can always hear their voices but unless he's near them physically he can't transmit them to the others via Para-RAID.

Right, the human brains are used only on Black Sheep units, which were encountered in this ep for the first time. Shinei even told Lena about them before engaging the fight, I remember now. How the distance from Black Sheeps affects transmission of their voice is still an open question, but I guess this is another thing that will be explained later.

DamnThatsTheSpot said:

The rest of your questions are things I think are yet to be revealed imo. Though Lena not asking more can be seen as just her not wishing to intrude in private matters too deeply.

I am relieved to hear that, probably I was overworrying about missed details.
Your Lena explanation make sense, I suppose having 86 from the Empire is not a new for the Republic.

Well, thanks a lot for the clarification :)
May 9, 2021 11:01 AM
May 2017
futureviewer said:
tatakae tatakae tatakae

umm, are you okay?
May 9, 2021 11:03 AM

Nov 2013
So I think it's already obvious now that the Legion has Male MC's brother's undamaged brain...
May 9, 2021 11:03 AM
May 2017
UTMAN said:
Let's say you have an oiriginal SSD in your HQ. It has a life expectancy of 50.000 hours (let's stick with the anime's number). How you build your droids is copying this SSD but the copy is going to be as old as the original one. So after 10.000 hours, the original has 40.000 hours left, this means all the copy you make is going to have 40.000 hours left aswell. And once that original SSD dies you cannot make any more copy of it.

that's an awfully bad design :D
the robots are so smart they are copying friggin brains, cannot they just edit the code, not to make themselves expire?
I already know how the anime will end, someone hacks into their network and DDOS-es them :D
or someone memorizes a computer virus, goes out, dies, they read his brain and all get infected
imSOuniqueMay 9, 2021 11:13 AM
May 9, 2021 11:54 AM
May 2008
imSOunique said:
UTMAN said:
Let's say you have an oiriginal SSD in your HQ. It has a life expectancy of 50.000 hours (let's stick with the anime's number). How you build your droids is copying this SSD but the copy is going to be as old as the original one. So after 10.000 hours, the original has 40.000 hours left, this means all the copy you make is going to have 40.000 hours left aswell. And once that original SSD dies you cannot make any more copy of it.

that's an awfully bad design :D
the robots are so smart they are copying friggin brains, cannot they just edit the code, not to make themselves expire?
I already know how the anime will end, someone hacks into their network and DDOS-es them :D
or someone memorizes a computer virus, goes out, dies, they read his brain and all get infected

Well it was designed this way on purpose by the Giad Empire, so if the Legion goes rogue it cannot do a world domination and die out. :D
Well I don't know about the rest of the stuff you brought up. I've only read the first volume of the LN. The rest is still arriving. :D

I assume it's not the code where the expiration date is hidden. It's just the phisical lifespan of the artificial brain that they use. After 10 years it becomes usless and just cannot be copied

Nice theories. Idk how would they be able to defeat this. The 10th volume will hit the market soon in Japan. Idk if they even fight against the Legion at that point. So I have literally no idea. :D
May 9, 2021 12:14 PM

Nov 2015
imSOunique said:

May 9, 2021 1:27 PM
Feb 2018
This episode was lit af. Ln reader.
May 9, 2021 1:38 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Alternative title: Lena talking on the phone with shin and getting dumped with exposition 24/7

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 9, 2021 1:53 PM

Dec 2016
BetaMaleUltra said:
Alternative title: Lena talking on the phone with shin and getting dumped with exposition 24/7

Right? Considering the revelations this episode, they just kind of put it all out there.
May 9, 2021 2:32 PM

Aug 2020
Interesting episode. Here we got some shocking findings about Legion, and the Republic itself. Also, we see what happened to Lena's father and the 86 who rescued her. This anime is improving from episode to episode. Just one thing I got to say: I think Lena shouldn't feel guilty for being from the Republic. If the 86 were opressed, the best she can do is offer a hand. She has no guilt in what happened before. So I hope she gets colder, just like they are treating her in a couple of times. I get they are defending themselves, but she should do the same.

May 9, 2021 6:46 PM

Oct 2016
Man, they really started the episode just like that huh, with pain and suffering. Fantastic episode! This show is just continuously ascending, I am so tempted to start reading the light novel. Shourei seems like a really good dude, though I wonder what that choking scene with Shin was about. I am guessing Shin is looking for the Legion that has Shourei's brain.

Speaking of human brain, that's fucked. Lena's suffering really doesn't stop, well not just Lena but all of the spearheads as well. I really felt all of those voices, it felt like it was attacking me, the studio did a great job with that and showing Lena's pain as well, Kaie appearing in her hallucinations was unsettling. Respect to Lena though for being able to come back after that, she's really climbing to be one of my favorite characters, but I need to see more.

So, Shin has "died" before huh, interesting. And his neck scar probably relates to that, was his head like detached and then reattached to be experimented on like bro, wtf. This episode also explains why Shin does his reaper job, so the legion won't be able to take the brains of the fallen, but how were they able to get Kaie's though damn. As we expected also, The Legion won't just bite the dust like that in 2 years, The Republic will lose. Really looking forward to the next episode, this is so good.
May 9, 2021 7:02 PM
Oct 2020
ye I'm i said fight fight fight i watched too much aot
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

259 by ILLARX »»
Apr 2, 12:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.