Last year, we implemented a system to combat illegitimate (duplicate) accounts manipulating scores
. While we were aware of some character favorites boosting incidents then, over the last year the problem has become increasingly worse.
Thus, the development team has implemented a system to discount favorites boosted by illegitimate (aka duplicate) accounts.
Scope of the Problem
- Character favorites and the updated ranking will be recalculated today.
- Corrections to favorites for the other DBs (Anime/Manga/People) should be released next week.
As expected, the Character DB has been primarily targeted by favorites boosting trolls. Approximately 33% of all favorites given to the Top 50 Characters have been determined to be duplicate accounts. This is more than double the 13% for Anime, and 9% for Manga and People.
Most Affected Top 50 Favorites
- Anime: Kimetsu no Yaiba (33%) & Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season (33%)
- Manga: Death Note (23%) & Naruto (18%)
- Characters: Ichigo (Darling in the Franxx) (84%) & Emilia (Re:Zero) (69%)
As expected, the Top 10 Characters have all been boosted by various competing factions and the recalculated ranking does not change much.
Expanding to the Top 50, we also see a pattern of characters/series that were well-known to have been boosted.
- One Piece: Luffy (46%), Zoro (42%), Sanji (46%), Nico (62%)
- Naruto: Naruto (30%), Itachi (38%), Kakashi (29%), Sasuke (48%)
- Kaguya-sama: Chika (68%), Kaguya (56%), Ishigami (54%)
- Re:Zero: Rem (48%), Emilia (68%)
- Oregairu: Hachiman (35%), Yukino (38%)
- In the Top 50 Character Favorites alone, 1,068,471 votes were given by duplicate accounts for boosting purposes.
- Assuming each account boosted ~3 characters, that gives an estimation of 356,157 accounts created to boost favorites...
Malicious users are still trying to get around the fix to the scoring system we released last year, and we expect they will try to do the same with favorites. Thus, we do not expect today's fix to be a one time "catch-all". We will continue to monitor the data and act swiftly to counter malicious attempts to influence our community rankings.
Thank you for your patience awaiting this much-needed fix.