Forum Settings
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
May 5, 2021 4:39 AM
Apr 2021
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is my favorite anime and I'm thinking of reading the manga, but as I already know the story, can't it get a little boring or repetitive?
May 5, 2021 5:39 AM

Feb 2021
Coincidentally I’m doing the same, so don’t hold yourself back. It’s really good.
May 5, 2021 10:20 PM

Aug 2019
I'd say yes. Even if it is the same story, there are quite a lot of differences despite ending up at the same point. The extra content fleshes out the supporting characters further and I find the themes behind the series explained better in the manga.
Aug 26, 2023 9:40 PM

Dec 2009
I just rewatched Brotherhood while reading the manga for the first time, and I wouldn't recommend it, contrary to what I thought from falsely expecting more. 
... I don't clearly remember the 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist, so I don't know how faithful that was, but I recall some scenes that were there, that Brotherhood cut out.

Maybe some dialogue as well, but particularly;
The Flame vs Fullmetal match, Edward's arm wrestling match in automail city, and the full moments of first meeting Izumi Curtis, including scenes with Mason.

Otherwise, most of the differences from the manga were scenes mixed often later with a flashback or whatever insight, instead of keeping it to its continuity of the original flashback scenes.
Along, with some bits of cut dialogue, unless it was slightly changed in wording. Most scenes from Izumi or Hohenheim were cut a tiny bit. 

The differences are mostly in the second half. Two moments of sensitivity of affection from Edward, like placing his hand on the pregnant lady first was given to Al in Brotherhood. 
... The biggest cut differences would be the epilogue after the finale.
A moment of Al and his armor. And in the end, Hohenheim and Trisha reuniting in the afterlife, with Hohenheim talking about how Ed and Al are doing. 

The anime mostly expanded on the action, added little changes with some exclusions, and made very few scenes less to not comedic like the manga.
I think whatever wasn't adapted from FMA or FMAB would be the Epilogue of the manga. 

In the manga, Hohenheim doesn't talk in his grave, Granny already finds him dead.
So, Brotherhood kinda made its own form of him "talking" to Trisha. 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 28, 2011

9 by wildhood »»
Jan 29, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 2 Discussion

suki78787 - Aug 9, 2009

15 by OnigirisBasket »»
Jan 2, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist "Another Journey's End" Chapter Discussion

animegurlfreak - Sep 23, 2010

44 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Nov 26, 2023 5:02 PM

» Why does MAL list 116 chapters?

Yman1512 - Dec 1, 2021

3 by DigiCat »»
Oct 30, 2023 1:14 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 6 Discussion

Heneshi - Jul 3, 2012

11 by Froqz17 »»
Oct 29, 2023 12:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.