Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
May 4, 2021 9:02 PM
Feb 2019
As in the title I have been looking forward to this series for a while and am getting around to it, but I didn’t know if I should watch the anime as new seasons are still coming out or if I should go blind, straight into the manga without knowing anything from the show. And if after I finish reading if it’s worth it to go back and catch up on the show as well.
May 4, 2021 9:33 PM
Feb 2021
I personally haven't read the manga and I've only played a little of the visual novels, but the people who've played the VN says that the VN is the best way to experience the series (though it's super long), then they say that the manga is the second best, and then the anime.

They're all great though imo. (I don't think u know but When They Cry is adapted from a visual novel, but it has a few animes, a manga series, and live-action adaptations)
May 4, 2021 9:35 PM

Jan 2020
I think the anime and the manga are both good so it's honestly up to you

May 4, 2021 10:28 PM
Apr 2020
i think personally, going into the anime first, then falling back on the VN or manga if you want is better just because of the sheer size of the VN its a massive commitment, and i cant speak for the manga but the anime is a perfect entry.
if you’re looking to watch the entire anime then the order is
Higurashi no naku koro ni 26 eps
Higurashi no naku koro ni kai 24 eps
Higurashi no naku koro ni rei (optional in my opinion) 5 eps
Higurashi no naku koro ni kira (fully optional, not many people like this one) 4 eps
Higurashi no naku koro ni outbreak (movie, optional again, and not very good)
Higurashi no naku koro ni gou (if you like the series then watch this, do not watch this first like some people are saying, it is a continuation, not a remake) 24 eps
and then theres still sotsu yet to come in july which will have 24 eps
May 5, 2021 2:06 AM
Jul 2019
I've watched the 48 episodes of the original and it's one of my favourite. I didn't enjoy any of the sequels or spin offs myself. I haven't read the manga myself but I have only heard positive things about it. I don't reccomend the visual novel purely because of it's art style.

I reccomend either the first two seasons of the anime or the manga. I've only seen the anime but I highly reccomend it I really enjoyed it.
May 5, 2021 4:27 AM
Feb 2019
thedefenseteam said:
I personally haven't read the manga and I've only played a little of the visual novels, but the people who've played the VN says that the VN is the best way to experience the series (though it's super long), then they say that the manga is the second best, and then the anime.

They're all great though imo. (I don't think u know but When They Cry is adapted from a visual novel, but it has a few animes, a manga series, and live-action adaptations)
I didn’t actually lol thx, sadly I have no clue where tf I can play VNs cause I also want to play other VNs
May 5, 2021 4:43 AM
Apr 2020
Perfectrockstar said:
thedefenseteam said:

I didn’t actually lol thx, sadly I have no clue where tf I can play VNs cause I also want to play other VNs

i believe a lot of the chapters are on steam, the first one was free last time i checked. but they are fairly expensive so i’d recommend anime or manga first, then play the VN if you really like it
Swindler04May 5, 2021 4:47 AM
May 5, 2021 6:20 AM
Nov 2020
Perfectrockstar said:
As in the title I have been looking forward to this series for a while and am getting around to it, but I didn’t know if I should watch the anime as new seasons are still coming out or if I should go blind, straight into the manga without knowing anything from the show. And if after I finish reading if it’s worth it to go back and catch up on the show as well.
I recommend to read the visual novel chapter 1 is free on steam, I heard both anime and vn are somewhat different but im gonna stop talking now, read the vns
May 5, 2021 9:29 AM

May 2020
Perfectrockstar said:

The Anime is Very Good! The Manga... idk, but it is an adaption, so it would be as good as the Anime. The Visual Novel is the Original, so play the VN. (Or wath the Anime, it's good)
May 25, 2021 6:13 AM
Apr 2020
Try out the free chapter on steam and compare it to the anime?

If you have the time to spare, I don't see why you shouldn't play the VN.
To be fair I think the anime is still decent for what it is, it literally has 1/10th of the runtime, so cuts are understandable. The story ends up being more or less the same anyways, it's more about the experience and how long you're willing to spend on the series.

1st chapter in the game took around 12+ hours to finish, the anime covers it in 4 Episodes. Same animal. different beast.
The anime for me really lacks the massive hours long buildup to the shock, that suspense and sense of dread was what really got me into the series in the first place. You could spend hours inside the game confused and wondering about what something meant. Meanwhile, in the anime the mysteries can get resolved within the same episode that it was introduced in.
Characters are a bit simplified and you barely spend any time bonding with them compared to the VN before shit hits the fan. The plus is that the anime's pacing really caught me off-guard even when I have already played the VN previously, but I ended up caring much less about the characters and their actions, immersion takes a big hit too. The dialogue also feels different, the VN feels more real time and nuanced, a bit too slow at times actually. The anime's dialogue feels simpler and straight to the point.
It shouldn't be apparent if you choose to only watch the anime, but they also shortened or changed the setup for some of the events, skipped a couple of the ones that don't advance the main plotline much. Feels a bit random and less involved if you compare it to the VN.

The VN really immerses you into the characters' point of view, you really feel like you're living the day-to-day life of Keiichi, you really feel the creeping pressure of Hinamizawa. The anime feels less personal, it feels like something you are told or witnessing instead of something you experience.
I'm sure there are others that would disagree with my opinion, eh just pick your poison, can't really go wrong here.

If you do end up playing the VN, you should use the 07th-Mod to get a better experience. Played a couple chapters on an Android port too, no bugs or anything.
neon4xMay 25, 2021 6:50 AM
Jul 24, 2021 4:11 AM
May 2015
I would say watch and read Higurashi as it's all good. To me it's Evangelion levels amazing and really put horror anime on the map for a lot of people, plus when you watch it you will see it's influence on other familiar animes that came after it I'm sure.

The Manga is amazing too and of course, it's VN is as well since it's the source, but I feel a lot of it's VN fandom are elitists that tend to tear down the anime for not fully adapting it's 100+ hour VN (Most of it was just inner monologuing). All that said it's a one-of-a-kind experience that should not be missed out on.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.