Forums
New
Is Deku a good protagonist?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 5, 2021 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
ayaan692 said:
ahyesanime said:
He is a very one-dimensional character, similar to characters like Tanjiro.
He is pretty much the same like he was at the beginning of the story until now except for the tiny bit of character development he got in season 2 or 3.
I am talking only about the anime.

there is a big difference between tanjiro and deku

first off tanjiro didnt got his power gifted to him like a chocolate bar and trained on his own to get as strong as he is
second tanjiro is like the big brother of the group always keeping his crazy comrades in check and taking responsibility in battle
deku is the guy who just does one thing in battle and then lets the main players duke it out while he watches on the sidelines
third their backstories
tanjiros family got brutally killed and his sister turned into a demon who he tries to get back to normal.
deku is the millenial kid that feels bad because he dosent have SUPERPOWERS
and gets the strongest power in the world gifted to him by the strongest hero in the world
and he didnt train a day in his life before he was promised that he would get superpowers
talk about entitlement

You just defined the difference in their circumstances.
By similar characters, I mean the way they act aren't both of them the genric type courageous and kind charcters. Both act, in the same way, look at some other comments they agree with me. Also, they don't have any lever of grey scaling to them.
Also it doesn't mean that they can't be a good character if they are courageous and kind, a good example is Alibaba who is similar to them but had insane character devolopement and got a place in my GOATs.
May 5, 2021 11:38 AM

May 2015
Imo no. His morals aren't questioned or opposed to other characters and his outlook on the world only changes slightly. That in of itself isn't bad because having a flat character arc can still be really good. Deku however, always started out super one note. His base personality isn't charismatic enough for me to care about his affairs and even his "dorky" aspects are outshined by his heroism. So he's in a position where there isn't anything given specific focus besides his moral compass and passion as a hero but those traits are shallow.

May 5, 2021 11:43 AM

Sep 2020
Deku sucks , worst protagonist
May 5, 2021 3:05 PM

Apr 2020
......................................................NO!
May 7, 2021 3:02 AM
Feb 2021
I mean he is average. Not badly written but not very exciting either. His big moments in the show are pretty much exactly the same. He fights a villain, increases his OFA a ton to the point his body cant take it, scream and shout with determination and boom great animation.

His development comes from the fact that he is maturing and is taking his role as All Mights successor seriously instead of crying like in season 1. He goes through his moments of doubt of whether he deserves this power or not but generally is always kept on track by his mentor.

Theres not much else tbh.
May 7, 2021 8:33 AM
Nov 2017
The show improves whenever he isn't the focus so...
May 7, 2021 9:47 AM
Dec 2020
i love mha but nah hes not really that good of a character
May 7, 2021 11:11 AM

Aug 2020
Good enough considering MHA's standards but pretty mid compared to all other anime.

The last time I saw his development was the end of All might vs AFO but since then he has been very cliche and annoying.
May 7, 2021 3:08 PM
Mar 2018
I guess it's a matter of opinion, i personally love midoriya, and i think the manga portrays him much better than the anime, people say he is typical and have a problem with him being 'overly emotional' but i still love his character because it makes him the more realistic.
May 7, 2021 3:57 PM
Dec 2020
honestly, he is good for a side character, not the main protag.

I kinda like him before in Season 1 and 2, but now,... meh
May 7, 2021 5:02 PM

Jan 2020
Yes , i like his emotions that feel more relatable and his tactical ability , but I don't like him in s4 he just got protagonist privilege , compare to previous season where he struggles more
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 7, 2021 9:33 PM
Jan 2017
TheBattleNetwork said:
Yes, I think he's a pretty solid protagonist. Not amazing or anything but not terrible or mediocre. He's a normal kid placed in an unnormal world (if that's a word)

People's biggest complaint is that he cries a lot? Pretty garbage take if you ask me, and having a 15 year old kid cry because his greatest idol and acquaintances tell him he cant achieve his dream is pretty realistic. I counted how many times he cried too and it wasn't that often, not counting the comedic crying parts.

His overall character development is supreme, physically and mentally. The evolution of OFA is compelling to watch and you can really tell he matures and learns more about the hero world dynamics as time goes on. The writing aspect isn't even bad either. His constant self-questioning of whether he is worthy to use such a great power after a lot of luck is very human and is much better than some other Shounen protags. (looks at Naruto)

Character design nice and simple, no complaints.

Also in the manga he's GOATED, fight me.

The problem is all this is the same average development every shounen protagonist gets. Deku is end of the day just that same recycled idea of a shounen protagonist. Nothing unique about his character.
Mar 6, 2023 12:38 AM
Sep 2021
Not at all. He never even got proper development, goes from a crybaby to an edgy bastard. Even Tanjiro & Mob are waaaayyyyy better than this shitty overrated broccoli idiot
Jun 1, 2023 8:25 AM
Oct 2019
removed-user said:
He is a very one-dimensional character, similar to characters like Tanjiro.
HAHA

Two of the least enjoyable mc's of major Shonen series. 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

202 by bapaejoget »»
Today, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

193 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 9, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

297 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

293 by Yurisu »»
Mar 28, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

144 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.