Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone actually take the reviews section of an anime seriously?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 2, 2021 11:38 AM

Jul 2020
I agree with OP about the whole "4" thing. It's hilarious because they'll have a long review about how much they love the show then give it like a 4 or 5.

I don't take the reviews too seriously because everything is subjective. However, I think it's nice to see a review that agrees with my views when I feel like I'm in the minority. For example, if a show is highly rated but I felt like the show wasn't that great and I saw a review that highlighted those same ideas that I had that made the show bad, I feel a little bit more satisfied that I'm not the only one who had those thoughts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2021 11:42 AM

Apr 2017
I don't care about other people's reviews. I just watch everything and if I have something to say at the end, I write one. Done.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
May 2, 2021 11:54 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
If anything, go watch review videos on youtube. It's much more entertaining that reading a wall of text from biased pseudo-intellectuals
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
May 3, 2021 9:52 PM

Oct 2020
Reviews are incredibly useless but they're still good enough to encourage "discussions" ig?

I dunno I don't even read reviews before watching a show, I just do it afterwards and then cry or praise the reviewer depending on how well it aligned with my opinion and I'm sure, judging by the common behaviour in a reviewers comments section, majority do that same thing as I do.

So technically MAL reviews probably don't benefit anyone who are sceptical about watching a show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2021 7:43 PM

Jan 2019
I read them.

If I love a show (9 or 10) I’ll frequently read the bad reviews to see why people don’t like it and then ask myself how someone can be so wrong. If something is really hyped but I give it an average rating (6, 7, or 8) then I’ll usually read reviews that rated it similar to mine. Lastly, if I really didn’t care for a show, I’ll read the really low reviews to see if people agreed with my thoughts.

I guess I like to get a general idea of what people like and dislike about a show and to see if I agree with them. A lot of times though, while I might agree with some of their complaints, I’ll still end up loving the show anyways.
May 4, 2021 7:59 PM

Sep 2019
lol no, some of you have some really awful opinions.
May 4, 2021 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
Not really. Because it's their opinion (especially when it is a negative review about a particular anime). There are some good reviewers out there and I appreciate them on how they state their thoughts.
May 4, 2021 8:18 PM

Sep 2020
A little bit bcoz if an anime is rated around 4 or 5 overally then i am most probably not gonna like it
May 4, 2021 8:28 PM

Jan 2020
I don't think I will , Mushoku tensei reviews are full of retards making long paragraphs about how morality is so important for an objective critic, while I think critics should be nonethical and more scientific, also the Higehiro top review is so dumb instead reviewing character the OP decide to write long paragraph about why age gap is so dangerous and Japan should rise the age of consent what the fuck lol
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 4, 2021 8:41 PM

Mar 2020
Short answer no. Long answer fuck no.
May 4, 2021 9:29 PM

Oct 2008
Never read a review on this site, never have and never will, probably. So recommendations are also foreign to me.
My problem is, reviews spoil me and recommendations disappoint me.
May 5, 2021 2:28 AM

Feb 2021
Well I read some of them AFTER finishing a series not before. When I do, I just want to find out how it got such low rating when in my opinion it deserved more or the opposite. I want to know what people think of a show and that's it.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 5, 2021 2:38 AM

May 2020
Most of the times, I look at the score of the anime rather than the reviews.

But, sometimes, I consider reviews too.
May 5, 2021 2:52 AM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
Amazinc said:
I look at an anime's score before I watch, but reviews on MAL pages of anime are more funny to me than anything. Usually they're just nitpicky or the user has a completely different scale for rating shows..

Usually one top review score will be a 4 from a guy who's average rating is a 4.6 and another will be a 9 from someone who read the manga and already loves the show. Everyone just has different tastes so an average makes more sense than listening to the ramblings of a single anime watcher.

If you're interested in a show. Look at the rating on sites, ask a friend or two, and give it a shot. Reviews on MAL are useless. Thoughts?

M looking at ratings ofc. they are helpful, while reviews are sometimes useful as well. For example I had a problem with ''Jigoku Shoujo'' because after a few episodes I found that this anime follows the same pattern non-stop, and I wanted to know if that was the case for all 94 episodes. And this is where reviews come to the rescue. They successfully dispelled my doubts. You have to remember that it's up to you what you take away from all the reviews. It is you who chooses the information you need from them, and it does not matter who rated what and what their personal valuation is.
May 5, 2021 2:56 AM

Oct 2014
I give no weight at all to audience reviews, and i give negative weight to those who are edgy contrarians just for the sake of it. If MAL were to implement a sort of critical system that works alongside the audience reviews, i would immediately change my position and invest a lot of time into other reviews.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
May 5, 2021 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
Amazinc said:
I look at an anime's score before I watch, but reviews on MAL pages of anime are more funny to me than anything. Usually they're just nitpicky or the user has a completely different scale for rating shows..

Usually one top review score will be a 4 from a guy who's average rating is a 4.6 and another will be a 9 from someone who read the manga and already loves the show. Everyone just has different tastes so an average makes more sense than listening to the ramblings of a single anime watcher.

If you're interested in a show. Look at the rating on sites, ask a friend or two, and give it a shot. Reviews on MAL are useless. Thoughts?

for Vloggers, bloggers and the animation industry that need ideas on how to improve the ratings and shows better. Yes. there are a HANDFUL of people looking into these. Those who are mere watchers and readers pretty much don't really care about it. since they are just loving it for fun. but, to those know how useful these feedbacks, reviews are. Yes. an age-old answer is yes.
May 5, 2021 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
Only if RebelPanda is there even if i disagree.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 9, 2021 7:48 PM

Mar 2021
Yeah, I don't bother. It's either full of uncritical fans who won't admit that the work has any flaws or overly sarcastic wannabe edgelords who think hating something is a personality. A lot of them, whether positive or negative, are way too long to be useful reviews--they're mostly written because the author wanted to talk about the anime, not to be useful or informative for a reader. If you want to know whether you'll like a show or not, it's best to ask a few friends who know your taste about it or just try a few episodes.
just vibin'
May 9, 2021 8:32 PM

Nov 2020
I only really ever read the review if I have never heard of the anime and it has like less than 50,000 users. I usually read the summaries of the anime to see if I would enjoy it or not, and take the score of the anime into to some consideration.
“Maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happens for a reason, our destiny slowly takes form.” - Rayleigh

May 10, 2021 9:38 AM

Feb 2020
I'm gonna add a little more here...
I respect those that go out of their way to make a review in the first place, because their not the easiest things to do, especially if the Anime is in a completely different language or have no dialogue whatsoever.

However I wouldn't say all of them are "useful" as I've read some that are way too personal and biased or just say alot of things other than the work their actually supposed to be reviewing...
May 10, 2021 9:57 AM

Jul 2019
Reviews on MAL are actual dogshit. They will literally downrate or uprate something and that shit influences people who actually read reviews before they decide if they wanna start the show.
Jun 24, 2021 7:27 PM

Jul 2017
MAL reviews are a hit or miss. Some people use constructive criticism, while others are purely emotion-driven and provide no actual points. I just read reviews for fun, and don’t take them that seriously in general.
Jun 24, 2021 8:53 PM

Nov 2013
I mostly look at synopsis, tags, and rating, but if I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should add an anime to my plan-to-watch, I'll use the reviews to help sway me. Usually I look for a middle-of-the-road review to figure out the pros/cons.
This is the "I'm too lazy to re-upload my signature for the 4th time" signature.
Jun 24, 2021 8:57 PM

Jan 2021
I used to but as I used the site more I realized they were kinda stupid
Just watch anime instead of looking at forums
Jun 24, 2021 9:04 PM

Aug 2016
I like seeing what other people think about stuff I consume, so yeah.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jun 24, 2021 9:28 PM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Generally I don't read them unless I've already seen the show and share a similar score to a review. I sometimes enjoy seeing what other people have to say about it. Are they actually useful to me in deciding if I want to watch something? Not really. I'll just try the show out anyway.
Jun 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Aug 2018
Most reviews lack any sort of in depth evaluation, however it is intriguing to see users start an argument with the reviewer for a review they dislike.
Jun 24, 2021 10:04 PM

Aug 2020
Not really, I don't need random users deciding on if I should watch a show or not. Most of the time I read reviews after I finish to get a better understanding on a show, or to click helpful on the good reviews so that people who want to watch the show get to see the best reviews.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 24, 2021 10:07 PM

Aug 2019
anime recommendations & reviews in general dont have that much importance as it used to be, you'll watch whether i like it or not, cuz again im not you & even if we dont have the same taste there's some aspects that we can both enjoy.

and there's the other main reason, having way too much "good" anime in general coming out every season that can simply satisfy any fan of any genre.

in 2007~2012 we never! and i mean never come near to any anime that an ani-tuber(Gigg of the UK) or a post here rated 6 or less, cuz yeah, we took their words as a gospel.

we are all grown up ( thank god ) and can think for ourselves for once lol.
also it may helps to appreciate a manga/anime bit more and see another aspect of it.
Jun 24, 2021 11:25 PM

Mar 2021
too lazy to read reviews since they're long
Jun 25, 2021 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
I partially take the reviews seriously.
Jun 26, 2021 5:19 AM
Jul 2018
no, they are from kids who don't know what reviews are, most of them are something like "ahhh I give this a 2/10, I've only watched the first two episodes on mute with x2 speed, but the plot seemed boring so I dropped it" wtf
Jun 26, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2021
I highly doubt any of those people have any qualifications to actually review anything, so it's nothing more than a glorified opinion, most of the time. I have nothing against reviews or people who write them, they can be interesting to read sometimes, but I definitely don't let them influence me in any way, not to mention I never read them before watching something, only after and very rarely (unless, for some reason, I happened to read it by accident).
Jun 26, 2021 9:13 AM

Jan 2021
Literally 85% of them are biased.

Either rates 10 a shit or 4 mostly.
Jun 26, 2021 10:21 AM

Jun 2021
I give some reviews but just because I feel like it. I never take reviews seriously. What makes me want to watch the show is the forum discussion,to see the audience and the critic's attitude when they clash. If it's civil then I'll start.
Current favourite ships:
- Chika x Satowa (Kono Oto Tomare)
- Shin x Lena (86)
- Vanitas x Jeanne (Vanitas no Carte)
Jun 26, 2021 10:24 AM
Nov 2016
Yeah, the reviews are completely useless and subjective. Not only do different people like different things, but different people interpret flaws and positives differently. Some people might say a show has a certain flaw or positive while I would say that that flaw or positive either doesn't exist or I would interpret it differently to turn a flaw into a positive or a positive into a flaw. In short, even well structured and explained points in all reviews are still just opinions and you should never use them to decide on whether or not you should watch a show. If the rating is high or if a show just catches your eye, dive straight in. Some strangers on the internet can't tell you if you'd like a show or not, you will only ever know by watching it yourself. Be open minded!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

121 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
44 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
52 seconds ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

982 by xaacaa »»
56 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 17 minutes ago

5 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

31 by Lhundrup »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.