Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2021 11:51 AM

Mar 2015
Other anime with horrendous visuals like Ex-Arm or Gibiate are all under 4 while this has a score of almost 7. I know the source material is good and beloved but it looks so bad it's hard to enjoy the plot. At least for me. Or did people just give a high score because Tatsu's voice is sexy?

If you scored this anime over a 4 please enlighten me on how you managed to enjoy this narrated power point presentation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 28, 2021 12:49 PM

Jun 2016
Because the manga is funny and this anime is just the manga with voice acting.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 28, 2021 1:05 PM

Feb 2021
It’s plot was good and the characters are funny. If animation is the only factor then go rate SAO / Demon Slayer a 10.
Apr 28, 2021 1:31 PM

May 2020
Because it is good and funny. People are just overreacting because of the animation

Apr 28, 2021 1:45 PM

Apr 2012
Tsuda is pretty much carrying the show, he's convincing as. Would probably be as entertaining in black and white. That said the surrounding cast like his wife, the neighbourhood housewives, the other yakuza are all on point too.

The premise of the manga is already goofy to the max, so it's not hard to make it fun.
Apr 28, 2021 1:47 PM
Dec 2010
Because everyone wishes they were an ex-yakuza. Must be playing too many yakuza games, lol.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Apr 28, 2021 1:50 PM

Jun 2017
the animation is not that deep, its motion animation so it's obviously not going to be the same but I enjoyed it
Apr 28, 2021 1:53 PM

Jan 2020
EratiK said:
Tsuda is pretty much carrying the show, he's convincing as. Would probably be as entertaining in black and white. That said the surrounding cast like his wife, the neighbourhood housewives, the other yakuza are all on point too.

The premise of the manga is already goofy to the max, so it's not hard to make it fun.

^This. Also people chose to rate it for its plot and based on enjoyment, instead of animation, and I totally support that. Regardless of how bad the animation was, it was still funny and the voice acting was great.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 28, 2021 2:16 PM

Oct 2018
Although the animation or slideshow or you can call it should be be better on next seasons, the show still enjoyable. Actually characters voice actors very good and some scenes was funny. If the animation was better, we would see atleast 7.5-8.

I hope they listened the people.
Apr 28, 2021 2:21 PM

Oct 2020
Mirai said:
Other anime with horrendous visuals like Ex-Arm or Gibiate are all under 4 while this has a score of almost 7. I know the source material is good and beloved but it looks so bad it's hard to enjoy the plot. At least for me. Or did people just give a high score because Tatsu's voice is sexy?

If you scored this anime over a 4 please enlighten me on how you managed to enjoy this narrated power point presentation.

because it actually has normal animation and some people like the comedy in it
# of bans: 4

@NoLiferSoul is an S+ tier MAL Staff member

@anime-prime and @AlexPaulLEWZ are S tier

Rest are mid
Apr 28, 2021 11:50 PM
Jun 2020
Calling it truly horrendous isn't right tho
This anime even though happened to be a let down the story it portrayed carried the adaptation and as such it deserves even a little credit

Comparing it to the likes of Ex-Arm.....
Oof
Apr 29, 2021 12:27 AM
Apr 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed the anime adaptation. The voice acting, plot and the comedy was 10/10. The concept of an ex-yakuza playing the role of a housewife was fresh and piqued my interest. And imo, the animation suited it perfectly. I personally think if it was animated like some random slice of life it wouldnt have captured the comedy fully.
Apr 29, 2021 7:50 AM
Feb 2017
The voice acting and comedy timing are top notch. If you just stop complaining about the animation and actually invest yourself in the show then it’s actually a really funny show to watch. Even I at first felt quite disappointed and weird at the non existent animation, but soon kinda just forgot about it, and by the last episode I wished for more content.

But well, everyone has their own sense of enjoyment so I can’t force you or make you enjoy something which you just don’t want to.
Apr 29, 2021 12:53 PM
Sep 2020
People mostly accepted the motion-manga, the animation itself isn't the only thing that matters
Apr 29, 2021 3:25 PM
Jul 2014
I can understand why people would rate this low because of the animation, but I got used to it. The show is pretty entertaining otherwise.
Apr 29, 2021 3:26 PM

Jan 2020
Because there are people who don't count visuals in rating

Apr 29, 2021 6:13 PM

Sep 2020
bro it's so bad it's good(animation)
Apr 30, 2021 6:15 AM
Sep 2019
You know... if this show precisely was well animated it wouldn't be as funny as it is now... I finished it today and it's hilarious and deserves to be over 7
Apr 30, 2021 7:24 AM

Aug 2008
Even if its some kind of "experimental" animation it just looks lazy. I guess Netflix should put more money into this production (2D Animation is more expensive and time consuming than 3D after all).

At first this "slideshow" effect disturbed me to the point i was ready to drop this and forget but I decided to stay for the plot.
May 1, 2021 1:17 AM

May 2011
Because being different doesn't mean that is bad.
May 1, 2021 11:50 AM

Feb 2019
MrBrawlz said:
Mirai said:

because it actually has normal animation and some people like the comedy in it

"it actually has normal animation"

Really? Did we watched the same show?
May 2, 2021 6:33 PM

Oct 2017
Why is the score so high,....
I wouldn't call the score high tbh but OK, here's my 2 cents.
A number of people scored the anime, the amount of points it gets gets divided by the number of people that scored it and an average is derived from that....
That average is the score you see.....
Which means a whole lot of people probably enjoyed the series more than you did,....
How by all that is holy is that possible you may ask,... well, different people have different tastes.... believe it or not, and sóme people, more than you could imagine apparently, didn't have a problem with the fact the series producers (as I understand, in full agreement with the mangaka) made a different style choice with regards to animation.
Different isn't always bad you know,... it's just... different.
The series was clear about this from the start, it's not like the animation dropped along the way, it remained very consistent. It took me less than a minute to get into that groove and frankly, I feel it fits the comedy, I enjoyed it immensely.
May 3, 2021 6:33 AM
Jul 2019
Because while the animation isn't ideal it's not that bad
May 3, 2021 1:25 PM
Nov 2016
The plot is good, jokes are funny and animation is different. It is not as elaborate as Demon Slayer but this anime doesn't need that IMO. The raw motion manga treatment is very suitable to this type of show which has so much ruggedness attached to it. It is entertaining and snacky.
May 3, 2021 5:18 PM

Oct 2012
I didn't read the Manga but I thought it was amusing, something I could just watch and not have to be invested in.

Sure it's animation at the start was questionable but it does get a LOT better and honestly I don't mind the panel style.

I just enjoyed it for what it was, a comedy

not everything needs to be critically analyzed or take itself serious to be good.
AworieMay 3, 2021 5:23 PM
May 5, 2021 3:14 AM
Jul 2020
I'm from Europe, this is a funny and good show. Due to the animation they made a short and light anime indeed, different from the common, and it's very entertainment and enjoyable.
Maybe most of you are get used to watch americanly show but surely this anime cannot has a 4 score.
Personally I give it 8/10

Mirai said:

Ryu-SenshiMay 5, 2021 5:52 AM
May 6, 2021 8:16 PM
Jun 2017
because it's actually good? lol
May 9, 2021 9:10 PM
Jun 2013
I like the characters,its funny and the art isn't bad. The whole thing of how its presented didn't take me out because this is not a high action show that you would need big animation.
May 10, 2021 6:57 PM
Sep 2019
It’s a simple and fun anime to watch that’s short and sweet, the animation may suck but i’m not really watching it for that so I couldn’t really care.
May 10, 2021 7:00 PM

Dec 2020
Doesn't a score below 7 on mal mean absolute trash tho?
May 11, 2021 3:02 PM

May 2020
More like why is the score so low. I can't believe how many people are crying about the animation in this show. It's not a shounen battle series. It doesn't need a bunch of sakuga. What is has is totally fine for the type of show that it is.
May 11, 2021 11:25 PM
Apr 2020
I will said that this anime actually deserved an 7 beacuse of the wholesomeness its like umaru chan no need a deccent story just wholesomeness is enough to people watch it
Jun 3, 2021 5:46 PM
Mar 2019
@Mirai

I understand people who would score an anime in visuals/animation first and story second, since the former does play a vital role in enhancing the aesthetics of this particular art form (which also goes the same for the latter), but this one doesn't honestly look so bad. If you really watched Gibiate and Ex-arm, you'll know how bad those two are compared to this, not only animation-wise, but storywise as well.

Also, in the first place, this is an ONA. We only got a handful of decent ONAs out there so high expectation would most probably only lead to disappointment. It does suck that Netflix produced a motion manga adaptation instead of a standard one, but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.

And it may seem ironic for me who personally gave a 5 (which is the passing score for me), but I think it deserves to be at least in 6.75 - 7.25 range. It can be done better, but it is watchable and satisfactory overall.
suzuyakennJun 3, 2021 5:50 PM
I love K-On, and so should you.

Jun 3, 2021 6:01 PM

Aug 2017
it seems like some people for whatever reason liked this.
it’s actually so insane to me that this show has a higher rating than yasuke :(
Jun 6, 2021 9:42 AM
Mar 2021
I'm going to give it an 8 because I'm laughing my ass off so far. 🥳
Jun 7, 2021 1:01 AM

Dec 2020
I agree with everyone who is saying hey but the plot and premise are fun and good, who cares if the animation is choppy and lazy, but I would rather tell a friend to read the manga than watch this at that point. The manga art is great and this show, even if it was just meant to be for fun voice acting, looks like they forced some intern to trace the manga for screen and paid them nothing for it. If you don't want to budget for any kind of quality I'd rather see the original cared for manga art in a nice slideshow way.
Jun 11, 2021 7:28 AM

Jul 2019
ManWild said:
Because there are people who don't count visuals in rating

*Because there are people who don't give score only based on visuals
Jun 12, 2021 12:26 AM

Nov 2019
I really enjoyed the show. The animation does not bother me too much. I can watch any anime as long as the animation is bearable and I thought it was pretty ok.
Jun 15, 2021 5:55 PM
May 2015
The show, is different but then again I don't mind the animation I was just laughing the whole time lol 😆 I WAS cleaning my room but just had to sit down and watch this comedy gold (watched it in dub)
Jun 15, 2021 6:01 PM

Mar 2020
I enjoyed the comedy and literally everything else in the anime.
Yeah sure the animation was far from perfect but it was still an enjoyable watch.
Jun 15, 2021 6:10 PM

May 2021
It is enjoyable, that is the point of entertainment and mostly comedy. The score is alright, compared to other piece of shits of media that are being released that have over 8 in score, as an example

Jun 20, 2021 1:29 AM

Feb 2019
I haven't finished it but I'll probably be giving it 7-8, currently. It's bevause it's not an animated series as such, and it's a animated comic and that's how it was advertised and most of us rating it high actually knew that and didn't get angry that a different anime mediums was used to portray the series. This was never meant to be a full on anime series such as most of the ones on this site. It was always supposed to be an "animated comic".

Jun 24, 2021 5:16 PM
Feb 2021
Because it's funny. That's all I need in a comedy show tbh.
Jun 24, 2021 5:21 PM

Aug 2020
Because the art style I personally enjoy and I found it quite funny

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 26, 2021 11:09 PM
Sep 2017
The animation is basic but it is somewhat stylish and doesn’t detract as much from my enioyment i gave it a 6 not because the animation was lacking but because i found the story non existent
And there was too much high energy comedy where i would have liked some story progression or some more serious moments
Jul 11, 2021 11:31 PM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
It's pretty funny and generally enjoyable, even the animation isn't really an issue imo. A great number anime with a shorter than the standard 22+ min runtime or very particularly stylized shows and or films do things way different than the generic entry level modern day SoL type animation that most people consider the bare minimum for acceptable visuals anyways. Look at series like Yami Shibai, lol. Some of it's seasons are decent, but all of it up to the currently airing 9th season is literally slide shows of images shaking and being zoomed in and out of, etc.. That's how it's intended to be but even if it wasn't it just works, kind of like how this series can get away with it but in a different way.

I would assume people would watch / rate series based on how satisfied their enjoyment was and or if it has any rewatchability rather than being so particular about things that are meaningless in the end like it not having Redline visuals when the experience would probably be completely different anyways. By that logic, all pre 2010 anime sucks because it looks ghetto, and in 20 years all shows today will be trash tier too. You can dislike the way a show looks, I don't really care for how some of my favorite series present themselves visually, but that shouldn't really detract from the overall enjoyment much if any. Maybe I'm just crazy though.
Jul 12, 2021 7:31 PM
Feb 2021
Because it was funny?
Jul 23, 2021 10:37 AM
Apr 2020
It’s got an excellent plot, and the voice acting is pretty good. It’s just the animation that sucks.
Jul 28, 2021 9:23 AM

Jan 2016
I rated it a 7, it was very light-hearted and made me laugh. I am generally not the biggest fan of anime that is tagged comedy but I loved every second of this show.

Very fun to watch, the idea behind it is nice and the voice acting is great. The plot is interesting enough to keep the show entertaining.
Jul 31, 2021 5:42 AM
May 2017
Mo168 said:
It’s plot was good and the characters are funny. If animation is the only factor then go rate SAO / Demon Slayer a 10.

Even with more story and animation together it doesn't deserve this much score.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gokushufudou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Apr 8, 2021

117 by adis »»
Apr 11, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 8, 2021

94 by ChaserJ »»
Feb 5, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Episode 4 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 8, 2021

32 by ChaserJ »»
Feb 5, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 8, 2021

25 by ChaserJ »»
Feb 5, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 8, 2021

37 by ChaserJ »»
Feb 5, 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.