Forum Settings
Forums

'Blue Period' Reveals Main Cast, First Promo, Fall 2021 Debut

New
Apr 27, 2021 8:45 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

The official website of the Blue Period television anime revealed the main cast (pictured above), first key visual (pictured right), and promotional video on Wednesday. The anime series adapting Tsubasa Yamaguchi's school drama manga will begin airing in October 2021.

Cast
Yatora Yaguchi: Hiromu Mineta (Cestvs: The Roman Fighter)
Ryuji Ayukawa: Yumiri Hanamori (Radiant)
Yotasuke Takahashi: Daiki Yamashita (Fukumenkei Noise)
Haruka Hashida: Kengo Kawanishi (Kabuki-bu!)
Maki Kuwana: Yume Miyamoto (Yesterday wo Utatte)

Katsuya Asano (Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Vrains) is directing the anime at animation studio Seven Arcs, with chief director Koji Masunari (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic). Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman.) is handling the series composition and script, and Tomoyuki Shitaya (Shokugeki no Souma) is designing the characters.

Yamaguchi began drawing the manga in Monthly Afternoon in June 2017. Kodansha shipped the ninth volume on January 21, with the tenth volume scheduled for release on May 21. Blue Period has a cumulative 3 million copies of its volumes in circulation.

Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English in November 2019 and published the second volume on January 5. The third volume will go on sale on May 18.

PV

Source: Comic Natalie

Apr 27, 2021 9:01 AM

Jan 2017
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! LEZ FKING GO! New pv's also pretty nice. Can't wait for october.
Apr 27, 2021 9:01 AM

Jan 2020
Anime about art with good looking visuals? Count me in! I haven't seen any anime by this studio, but from the trailer, it looks like the animation will be nice.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 27, 2021 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
Speaking of this non-binary character, I hope the author is not trying to use their androgyny for a crossdresser fanservice? To be honest, "trans equal gay" is one of my most hated tropes about sexuality.
Apr 27, 2021 9:03 AM

Jul 2019
Haven't read this in a minute lol. Need to get back to this.

But good update so far. Stayed too low for a long time.
Apr 27, 2021 9:32 AM
Apr 2020
LETSS GOOO!! This is such a great manga!! Can't wait for October!
Apr 27, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2020
Dragevard said:
Is this going the yaoi route?
No , it doesn't have any kind of romance
Apr 27, 2021 9:39 AM

Dec 2020
WAAAAA IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS !!! pv looks rly good ! was kinda nervous with yaguchi's va since he doesn't have a lot of acting roles so far but looks like he'll do well !! animation looks great, i seriously cant wait for this. hope they'll do the manga justice
Apr 27, 2021 10:31 AM

Oct 2017
The PV looks freaking amazing.
Apr 27, 2021 10:53 AM

Apr 2012
lizzziziz said:
Dragevard said:
nope !! i think it actually doesnt have any romance so far lol.

Zean_9435 said:
Dragevard said:

Even straight one? But it put boy meet girl as the big point in the video.
Apr 27, 2021 11:22 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
“Blue Period” I’m not gonna act like I’m not a dumbass for imagining something else 🙃

Art anime seems interesting!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2021 11:25 AM

Sep 2020
RobertBobert said:
lizzziziz said:
nope !! i think it actually doesnt have any romance so far lol.

Zean_9435 said:

There is no romance it's more like normal friendship among friends
Apr 27, 2021 11:45 AM

Feb 2011
Zean_9435 said:
RobertBobert said:

Well thank goodness on the no het part.
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 27, 2021 11:51 AM

Jul 2013
trailer looks pretty good, hope the art keeps up throughout the anime and that they don't rush the pacing
Apr 27, 2021 11:55 AM
Oct 2018
RobertBobert said:
Speaking of this non-binary character, I hope the author is not trying to use their androgyny for a crossdresser fanservice? To be honest, "trans equal gay" is one of my most hated tropes about sexuality.
idk if I missed something but was there a non binary character in the trailer?
Apr 27, 2021 11:55 AM

Sep 2017
I was planning to read the manga but maybe I'll wait for the anime

I'm not at all confident in the studio though, Seven Arcs only produced 2 hits, Arte was average and ToniKawa was nice but not really good looking
Apr 27, 2021 11:59 AM

Aug 2018
the promotional video looks good. seems promising.
Apr 27, 2021 12:23 PM

Apr 2012
Chouninatte said:
Zean_9435 said:

Thanks for reminding me of the heterophobia of slash shippers. I'm looking forward to when the romantic subplot really starts in the manga and this, as with MHA and AoT, will make everyone salty.

Zean_9435 said:
RobertBobert said:

I bet shippers have traditionally taken this as an excuse for slash-femslash shipping.

Red916 said:
RobertBobert said:

Character in a yellow shirt.
Apr 27, 2021 12:46 PM

Jan 2021
oooh this looks interesting
Apr 27, 2021 12:50 PM

Jun 2019

@RobertBobert are you talking about the one in the middle of the visual for the main cast? yotasuke isn't androgynous lmao he's a het male
DepressedSaltApr 27, 2021 12:54 PM
No anime is non-canon. Non-canon is canon, but on a different world line.
Apr 27, 2021 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
DepressedSalt said:

@RobertBobert are you talking about the one in the middle of the new key visual? yotasuke isn't androgynous lmao he's a het male

Are you saying that the non-binary character in this manga is an otokonoko in black female form?
Apr 27, 2021 1:33 PM

Mar 2016
The first promo is here!! Yayyy!!!

I am looking forward to see Yotasuke. Whenever Yaguchi is with him, things get so much more intense, interesting and absolutely adorable!

I hope Yuka's voice isn't too high, and that she's treated with the same amount of respect that the manga treats her with.

The characters look just like they do in the manga, and that's getting me so oddly excited!!
Apr 27, 2021 1:34 PM

Mar 2015
I thought that they'll use male voice actor for Ryuji, 'cause he is not your average trap character with sole reason to pandering the fujoshi audience. Guess he'll have shota-like voice, like Armin from SnK, but will see. And Kawanishi Kengo probably would sound like Gen from Dr. Stone as Hashida.
Apr 27, 2021 1:55 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

Red916 said:

Yea that ain't the nonbinary character. They're the one with long, blonde hair.

Also as for the shippers, nobody ships them and Yatora or really with anyone too much. They have their own thing with romance in the manga that's handled very respectfully. There's ships that are both hetero and not. Idk why you're trying to be so shitty to a community you're not even a part of.
Apr 27, 2021 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

Yea that ain't the nonbinary character. They're the one with long, blonde hair.

Also as for the shippers, nobody ships them and Yatora or really with anyone too much. They have their own thing with romance in the manga that's handled very respectfully. There's ships that are both hetero and not. Idk why you're trying to be so shitty to a community you're not even a part of.

If I were a part of slash shippers my "shitty" attitude would make sense lol? If it's no joke, then the answer lies in the post on which I answered. If I regularly wrote "huh, I hope there are no gays here" or "I'm glad it's straight" as people like the author of this post like to do, then I would have been persecuted for a long time with accusations of hate speach.

And I'm not even talking about the extremely annoying attempt to label characters and then try to turn it into dogma, as it used to be with Momo and Jiro, and now it starts with Nobara in JJK.
Apr 27, 2021 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Well they better use Gunjou (YOASOBI) for this. 🤞
Apr 27, 2021 6:56 PM

Nov 2013
Yesssssssssss I'm here for the art, all of it.

Apr 27, 2021 7:00 PM

Mar 2017
At first i was kinda scared that Seven Arcs wouldn't be able to do this justice. But judging from the PV, guess i was dead wrong (and i'm glad i was!). Blue Period is one of my favorite manga and to see it animated is just... wild.
Apr 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Aug 2010
I couldn't imagine this series as an anime so I was a bit worried, but the PV looks great! Yatora's voice also suits him. I rarely watch anime which manga I read first, but I am excited to check this out!
Apr 27, 2021 9:07 PM

Dec 2020
RobertBobert said:
even straight ones lol. there's a relationship between 2 characters that you can say that character a is pinning over character b but i see it more as character a admires character b
Apr 28, 2021 1:59 AM

Apr 2012
lizzziziz said:
RobertBobert said:
even straight ones lol. there's a relationship between 2 characters that you can say that character a is pinning over character b but i see it more as character a admires character b

Well, I hope this does without ship wars, as is often the case with shows without a noticeable romantic subplot.
Apr 28, 2021 4:23 AM

Mar 2018
Looks really good, definitely way better than I expected.

@RobertBobert - No offense dude, but for someone who hates “ships wars,” you really like to bring up the topic anytime you can, even when there’s nothing related to it in the discussion. Also

I'm looking forward to when the romantic subplot really starts in the manga and this, as with MHA and AoT, will make everyone salty.

Yeah this is just sad.
GailoApr 28, 2021 4:41 AM
Apr 28, 2021 6:27 AM

Sep 2016
Chouninatte said:
Zean_9435 said:

These days no. of racist and discriminators of straight and hetero are increasing. Human society is going to be doomed with so much gay fetish people.
Apr 28, 2021 1:06 PM
Jul 2016
RobertBobert said:

They address this point in the manga, but Ryuji is canonically bisexual. Ryuji points out that because they take on a more feminine appearance that they feel expected to only like boys, but Ryuji did have a crush on a girl in high school.
Apr 28, 2021 2:25 PM

Apr 2012
Gailo said:

@RobertBobert - No offense dude, but for someone who hates “ships wars,” you really like to bring up the topic anytime you can, even when there’s nothing related to it in the discussion. Also

I'm looking forward to when the romantic subplot really starts in the manga and this, as with MHA and AoT, will make everyone salty.

Yeah this is just sad.

So, the "Well thank goodness on the no het part" part from the "professional" fujoshi has nothing to do with ship wars?

erikkamirs said:
RobertBobert said:

They address this point in the manga, but Ryuji is canonically bisexual. Ryuji points out that because they take on a more feminine appearance that they feel expected to only like boys, but Ryuji did have a crush on a girl in high school.

Stop. Bisexuality aside, is their behavior fully feminine?
Apr 30, 2021 9:16 PM
Jul 2017
This looks really good. I really like the character design, looks really clean. I will give this a shot in the coming fall.
May 19, 2021 5:41 AM
Mar 2016
Ok Im not interested in this kind of war but lets go straight to the point, is this a heter anime or not?
Jun 2, 2021 8:52 PM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
Gailo said:

Yeah this is just sad.

So, the "Well thank goodness on the no het part" part from the "professional" fujoshi has nothing to do with ship wars?

erikkamirs said:

Ryuji is in fact very feminine by deliberate choice, but I don't think you have an idea exactly how deep of a character they are. I don't want to spoil anyone, but Ryuji struggles very deeply with their gender identity and relationship with art, their gender issue is an actual issue rather than some side trope: It's very far from fanservice. Ultimately, Yatora and Ryuji relate to one another precisely because of their struggles with identity, though granted, not really in a romantic way.
Jun 2, 2021 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
impromptoo said:
RobertBobert said:

Ryuji is in fact very feminine by deliberate choice, but I don't think you have an idea exactly how deep of a character they are. I don't want to spoil anyone, but Ryuji struggles very deeply with their gender identity and relationship with art, their gender issue is an actual issue rather than some side trope: It's very far from fanservice. Ultimately, Yatora and Ryuji relate to one another precisely because of their struggles with identity, though granted, not really in a romantic way.

Then why is their identity non-binary and not feminine?
Jun 2, 2021 10:43 PM

Apr 2012
D4rKNiGhT said:
Ok Im not interested in this kind of war but lets go straight to the point, is this a heter anime or not?

Romance isn't a big focus here, but it's not a queer anime in this context.
Jun 7, 2021 6:45 AM
Oct 2020
Yumiri + Deku + Kengo are from KNY casts who played supporting character
Jun 15, 2021 5:57 PM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
impromptoo said:

Spoil yourself on your own and draw your own conclusions. The only one with a clear answer on this is Yamaguchi-sensei, and, to soothe your fears, it wasn't a matter of fanservice in a manga about fine arts, of all things and topics. At this point you're just looking to fight. Jeez.
Jun 16, 2021 5:19 AM

Apr 2012
impromptoo said:
RobertBobert said:

Spoil yourself on your own and draw your own conclusions. The only one with a clear answer on this is Yamaguchi-sensei, and, to soothe your fears, it wasn't a matter of fanservice in a manga about fine arts, of all things and topics. At this point you're just looking to fight. Jeez.

This still doesn't answer my question.
Jun 17, 2021 7:08 PM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
impromptoo said:

This still doesn't answer my question.

It wasn't meant to. You ask too much, read on your own.
Jun 26, 2021 1:43 PM
Jul 2017
impromptoo said:
RobertBobert said:

Going into spoiler-ish territory. The whole story is about life, the common hardships that almost everyone faces and evolving as a person through those hardships. Yatora is the MC and we see all these problems from his perspective, but it isn't just about Yatora.

It's also about the people he meets on his journey to become an artist and how they also have these hardships that any human could experience. Now, Yuka/Ryuuji is one of those people. They're just trying to find out their own identity and you can see that through (of course the development of the character) one of the later chapters where Ryuuji uses the Japanese "female" I (Atashi) instead of using the "male" I (Ore) which They had been using since the start of the manga up until that point. This entire story is about human growth.
KerhsJun 26, 2021 1:47 PM
Jun 26, 2021 2:31 PM

Jun 2020
the anime fandom is consistently fucking up and misunderstanding androgynous characters. hoping its different this time around

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 8 hours ago

13 by RobertBobert »»
19 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

94 by Noy_Rican »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
11 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.