Forum Settings
Forums

How bad does an anime's animation have to be in order for the entire anime as a whole to be bad

New
Apr 21, 2021 4:43 PM

Jul 2020
The reason why I'm asking this is because people literally say that Sds s3, OPM s2, and Berserk 2016 were bad because their animation and only their animation was bad for some reason, so after seeing pretty much everybody say this, I've had the question in the title of this thread in my mind for quite a while now, so if you have an answer to this question, please say it in this thread.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Apr 21, 2021 4:46 PM
Dec 2018
Kingdom is a good example. I heard the series is good but the animation is just off putting. Guess I have to read the manga instead.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 21, 2021 4:48 PM

Mar 2020
Berserk 2016 levels of bad makes the whole anime bad imo.
Apr 21, 2021 5:08 PM

Jul 2020
Its a psychological thing. If you take a motion manga and call it an anime most people would call it shit because the horrible animation distracts from literally every other aspect for the anime.

But if you take a horribly animated anime, and call it a motion manga, it now doesn't distract from the quality of the anime, since its viewed as a high quality motion manga instead of a low quality anime.

Basically, if its bad enough to distract from everything else the anime to offer, then thats how bad the animation needs to be. But like I said before, its still a psychological since if you call something poorly animated a high quality motion manga, and never say its an anime, it will probably be viewed as such and wont be distracting.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Apr 21, 2021 5:13 PM
Feb 2018
Queen Bee for those cultured folk. Don't really have to say much more.

View my badges.

I don't understand what this is for.
Apr 21, 2021 5:16 PM

Nov 2008
If your anime looks anything like Ex-Arms, that's a hard NOPE for me. xD

Couldn't stand to look at it. Never dropped anything SO fast...

Apr 21, 2021 5:21 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Chiibi said:
If your anime looks anything like Ex-Arms, that's a hard NOPE for me. xD
This, and/or Vampire Holmes.

This short anime deserves the first (and only, so far) 1/10 rating I've ever given lmao.
Apr 21, 2021 5:22 PM

Mar 2018
I will never ever consider an entire anime bad because of animation that’s just bad/illogical thinking in my opinion. Yeah it can affect my scores if it is deliberately involved in making a story i.e visual storytelling like monogatari for example. Like I think the most animation can affect my scores is by downgrading the rating by 1 score down but that’s it.
Apr 21, 2021 5:59 PM

Jan 2021
3d anime is the worse thing
also JC staff light novel adaptation

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Apr 21, 2021 6:05 PM

Jan 2017
Not that bad as it's a visual medium; if you think it looks like shit, then you're not going to want to look at it for 5+ hours. This is especially the case if it's a shit-looking adaptation since there's a fat chance you can read the source material and get a better visual experience.
Apr 21, 2021 6:43 PM

Jun 2020
Definitely further than the level of SnK szn4
Apr 21, 2021 6:45 PM

Jan 2021
pretty bad tbh. sometimes poor animation can lower my ratings at times, but it usually has to be ex arm levels of shit before i rate the anime badly.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Apr 21, 2021 7:44 PM

Jul 2020
Well I would say Ex-Arm 3d animation bad or Berserk 2016 bad
Apr 21, 2021 7:56 PM

Jan 2021
If I think that the animation is unintentionally sloppy to the point that it's gets too distracting (i.e. Berserk 2016 and Ex-Arm), then that's a big issue for me.

Bad animation alone doesn't convince me enough to think that the entire anime itself is bad. However, it indirectly affects character interactions, dialogue, actions scenes, etc. The animation is a pretty big component to make these types of things execute more naturally. Bad animation doesn't impact the overarching story and its thematic elements though (at least for me), which are attributes I also put high regard into.
Apr 21, 2021 8:05 PM

Jan 2020
When the animation takes away from the experience. If it's not 10/10 but still decent then sure, I may let it pass. But when it's really choppy/stiff, then it can take away depending on the content of the series.

Apr 22, 2021 6:25 AM

Mar 2021
I can't get into anything that is awful to look at. Devilman Crybaby and Dragon Ball Super are so bad on the eye that I just can't possibly enjoy it.
Apr 22, 2021 6:29 AM

Oct 2017
Conceptualhero said:
Kingdom is a good example. I heard the series is good but the animation is just off putting. Guess I have to read the manga instead.

Yeah basically what I was going to mention. S2/3 don't look that bad (will give them a look) but I will never watch S1 and it's one of my absolute favourite manga. Kingdom is up there as one of series I wish would get remade the poor S1 adaption I don't think has helped it's popularity internationally.
Apr 22, 2021 7:52 AM

Mar 2012
If it looks anything like Aku no Hana or Ex-arm then I'm not watching.
Apr 22, 2021 8:14 AM

Feb 2019
-Hermit- said:
Dragon Ball Super are so bad on the eye that I just can't possibly enjoy it.

From what i have watched and heard , the art of dragon ball super was bad not the animation.
Art and animation is different.

Conceptualhero said:

Animation is the only reason I'm not watching kingdom, though i heard that animation in 2nd season and 3rd season is good.
Apr 22, 2021 9:45 AM

Jul 2017
Like, Queen Bee level bad. The sloppy kind that just hurts to watch.

Apr 22, 2021 9:59 AM
Dec 2020
The Promised Neverland Season 2 levels of bad would probably do it for me

Jul 2020
it has to be made with powerpoint if its gonna look bad
I am the handle of my mop
Rags are my body, and detergent is my blood
I have scrubbed over a thousand floors
Unknown to sick leave
Nor known to pay
Have withstood abuse to sweep many
surfaces
Yet those hands will never hold money
So as I clean, Unlimited Maid Works

Jan 2020
Gokushufudou and Gibiate level of bad. A really bad animation can be disturbing enough for me to drop the show.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 22, 2021 10:05 AM

Aug 2013
Kingdom & Ajin don't have sublime animation, but the lore, story and history in Kingdom is interesting. The antagonist in Aijn is what makes Ajin worth it to check out.

Gokushufudou looked more like a manga slideshow then an anime. Interesting to see it once, but I don't want to see more anime in this kind of style tbh.
Veteran Helldiver of SES Hammer of Dawn
Apr 22, 2021 10:11 AM

Feb 2021
Many animes that include CGI will be viewed as bad, as you can see what happened to AOT Final season, with a part 2 coming later on. The best example of a really bad animation is Ex-arm imo.

🔓 Achievements    -  📺 Anime list  
Apr 22, 2021 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Probably something like ex-arm or berserk.
Apr 22, 2021 10:21 AM
Feb 2013
I agree with the Ex-Arm opinion here, the scene where they have a CGI character and a "traditionally" animated character making food together early on was ridiculously, comical bad lool.

I heard though that ex-arm animators were all novices or it was their first published project ever, anyone want to correct/fill me in on that? would be great
Apr 22, 2021 10:23 AM
Feb 2013
Coaghim said:
Kingdom & Ajin don't have sublime animation, but the lore, story and history in Kingdom is interesting. The antagonist in Aijn is what makes Ajin worth it to check out.

Gokushufudou looked more like a manga slideshow then an anime. Interesting to see it once, but I don't want to see more anime in this kind of style tbh.

I thought the advertising in Japan listed Gokushufudou as an animated manga and not an actual anime, didn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I heard
Apr 22, 2021 12:52 PM

Sep 2014
It doesn't make the whole anime bad though. I enjoyed Berserk 2016 because the story was good. However something like Houseki no Kuni where both the animation and the story suck, then the whole anime is bad even though the animation is a bit better than Berserk 2016 (but still shit)
Apr 22, 2021 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
GambitBowson said:
Coaghim said:

I thought the advertising in Japan listed Gokushufudou as an animated manga and not an actual anime, didn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I heard

That would make perfect sense Sir. It looked more like a manga lideshow then an usual anime.
Veteran Helldiver of SES Hammer of Dawn
Apr 22, 2021 8:25 PM

Mar 2021
Sakuta002766 said:

From what i have watched and heard , the art of dragon ball super was bad not the animation.
Art and animation is different.

I know, it was more of a general point about something looking so awful that I couldn't watch it rather than a straight reply to the topic.
Apr 22, 2021 10:48 PM

Jun 2020
Hmm OPM S2 had good animation though. Just far from S1 levels.
This anime shit is addictive
Apr 22, 2021 11:19 PM

Nov 2015
I've watched my share of badly animated anime and only a few times has it been so bad I had major issues. I will always take issue with poor animation but I will usually deal with it (Beastars for example has horrible animation but was decent overall). Animation is always part of an overall weighted scoring I do and depending on how good/bad it is it may have a larger impact on the total score. For example Ex-Arm has such terrible animation that I couldn't give it a score above a 4, and then everything else was just so awful (visuals, ost, story) that I ended up giving it a 1.

Currently watching High-Rise Invasion and its animations are horrible. They aren't bad enough that I find it funny, but they are bad enough that I complain internally every episode.
Apr 22, 2021 11:28 PM

Oct 2014
SmashBlack said:
The reason why I'm asking this is because people literally say that Sds s3, OPM s2, and Berserk 2016 were bad because their animation and only their animation was bad for some reason, so after seeing pretty much everybody say this, I've had the question in the title of this thread in my mind for quite a while now, so if you have an answer to this question, please say it in this thread.
It's not particularly about measuring the techniques used in animation, or lack thereof. Simply put, animation is about being in motion and when you combine that with storytelling you have a whole set of new factors to consider such as expression and atmosphere, how much these and other factors matter is up to you.

At the end of the day if your show is simply manga panel's colored in it's probably better off having never been made.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Apr 23, 2021 12:54 AM

Oct 2008
Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (No matter how good the plot, it's ugly as sin)

Mob Psycho 100 (If it wasn't as ridiculous as it was ugly, I might have watched both seasons)

Hand Shakers (Not that I think the plot was decent let alone good, but visually Besrserk 2016 was prettier)
Apr 23, 2021 12:56 AM

Apr 2017
I take 1 point off at most for bad animation even if it is as horrid as Ex-Arm. I do not believe something as subjective as art should be factored in too harshly, especially given how superficial the aspect is to the quality of a show.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 23, 2021 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
zieek said:
Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (No matter how good the plot, it's ugly as sin)

Mob Psycho 100 (If it wasn't as ridiculous as it was ugly, I might have watched both seasons)

Hand Shakers (Not that I think the plot was decent let alone good, but visually Besrserk 2016 was prettier)

The character designs aren't that great but Mob Psycho has really great animation. Some of the best I've ever seen and the growth mob and reigen show is even better
Apr 23, 2021 1:21 AM

Oct 2008
Horny_Uli said:

The character designs aren't that great but Mob Psycho has really great animation. Some of the best I've ever seen and the growth mob and reigen show is even better

See that right there is my glaring issue. I care about the plot because the characters are appealing. And I want to see more of them, but when they look and act like retards it takes me out of the anime.
SofiaBulgaApr 23, 2021 1:26 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 9 hours ago

13 by ColourWheel »»
5 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

91 by duchessliz87 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 4 hours ago

13 by Horizon248 »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

38 by Acctra »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

129 by EXCLMaker »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.