Forum Settings
Forums

which greeting do you often use is it "whats up dude/bro" or "hello my friend" and is there culture stuff about them?

New
Apr 20, 2021 1:31 AM

Jan 2009
i notice americans love to say whats up bro/dude while indians and middle easterners love to say hello my friend

meanwhile we filipinos just say hi most of the time
Apr 20, 2021 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
I use selam which basically means hi.
Apr 20, 2021 2:00 AM

Aug 2018
i either use hi or hello, nothing too complicated.
Apr 20, 2021 2:12 AM

Aug 2014
ichigoisbae said:
i either use hi or hello, nothing too complicated.

Hey, what's up, dude? :P

I just wanted to ask...did you change your user name and avatar? It's just that you have so many posts, yet I don't recognize you. haha
Apr 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Apr 2020
i just say hi or hey, i don't say hello that much
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2021 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
I usually say "hey loser" if it's someone I'm semi-close to, otherwise it's just "hey"
Apr 20, 2021 2:30 AM

Oct 2012
I almost exclusively say hi. When it's early I say good morning, etc.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Apr 20, 2021 2:32 AM

Jul 2020
I just say "Assalamualaikum" to my Muslim brothers and sisters.Other than that just "Hi".I personally find it cringe when someone says Dude irl.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 20, 2021 2:56 AM

Mar 2021
Never in my life have I greeted somebody seriously with a "bro"

I will say "hello dude" a lot, but only to my niece and nephews.

For me it's more like "yo" or "hey" and quite often your typical British "awright" but without the accent I often see Americans try and imitate XD
Apr 20, 2021 3:42 AM

Oct 2010
I use: "bună", "salut", "ce faci" between friends and people I know, it basically means "good", "salutations" and "how do you do"
Apr 20, 2021 5:04 AM

Sep 2020
I usually just say «Yo» or »what´s up» or »how´re you doing» to people around my age, I only use «Hi»/«Hello» to talk to older people
"If I get reincarnated… I wanna become a clam.” – Monkey D Luffy

Apr 20, 2021 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
When I was younger I'd hit the homies with a "yo wassup bro". Went through a little wanksta phase in highschool lol.

I've matured into "hey man how are ya?". Sometimes I'll hit them with a "Hey whats going on man?". If I'm flirting I like to say 'heyyyyyyyy" in the gayest voice I can possibly do because I find it hilarious.

Never did the my friend thing. I'm pretty sure that's a European thing.
Apr 20, 2021 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
My 2 year nephew "Sup bro" no more cartoon network for him.

I usually go "aye!" My workers need to follow orders correctly.
Apr 20, 2021 7:28 AM

Mar 2019
Ironically i would use "hello friend" but Yo and wassup is just so much easier and much more friendly (and comforting?) than saying "hello friend".
Apr 20, 2021 7:58 AM

Jun 2008
feels weird to put a possessive pronoun to it

so id go with sup bro instead of sup my dude
Apr 20, 2021 1:12 PM

Mar 2021
Mostly just say, “Alright”.
If it’s someone I know I’ll probably say, “Hey! (Name) I haven’t seen you in time (slang for in a while) how’ve you been?”

To which they might reply, “I know, man’s / you’ve been ghost fam.” (More slang).
Apr 20, 2021 4:31 PM

Jan 2020
I usually say hi/hello to non-close friends but for friends, I usually just say whatever

Apr 20, 2021 5:30 PM

Apr 2020
I say Yo or wassup.
I am the coolest person ever
Apr 20, 2021 6:13 PM

Mar 2008
Hey
Heya
Hieylloo
What's up?
Hi

If it's morning I say "eughhhh..."

-Hermit- said:

For me it's more like "yo" or "hey" and quite often your typical British "awright" but without the accent I often see Americans try and imitate XD

SemillaMinoria said:
If it’s someone I know I’ll probably say, “Hey! (Name) I haven’t seen you in time (slang for in a while) how’ve you been?”

To which they might reply, “I know, man’s / you’ve been ghost fam.” (More slang).

How are you supposed to respond to that? I was in UK before and had some girl say "you alright?" to me and I though it was an actual question her seeing me being uncomfortable and only many years later learned it's used as a greeting so I dont know which it was anymore ...im so lost lol
Apr 20, 2021 6:22 PM

Feb 2021
To answer yuor question,
I use 'sup!!! Ni***!!!'.
Apr 20, 2021 6:36 PM

Jul 2020
Dude is very common in California. I also like how it sounds, like duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude its a good filler word were your really tired, thats why hippies say it
Apr 21, 2021 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
We say "hello" or "hi" or the Urdu equivalent of them. We also always follow it up with "How are you?"
Apr 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Mar 2021
traed said:
Hey
Heya
Hieylloo
What's up?
Hi

If it's morning I say "eughhhh..."

-Hermit- said:

SemillaMinoria said:

How are you supposed to respond to that? I was in UK before and had some girl say "you alright?" to me and I though it was an actual question her seeing me being uncomfortable and only many years later learned it's used as a greeting so I dont know which it was anymore ...im so lost lol

Yes you've got it right. It is asked as a question. It can be seen as rhetorical but usually people just respond with a brief, "Yeah good, you?" or "Not too bad." or "Could be better." sort of replies. Most of the time if you start going into a lengthy tale about how things actually are (as I often make the mistake of doing) people start to either get uncomfortable and try to make an excuse to get away or they will pretend to give a shit when they don't. But every now and then someone is genuinely interested to know if you are alright or not. You can tell they are interested because they will keep asking you more questions about it without a condescending or sarcastic tone and they may well share some examples of things that they are going through or have gone through or a story about a person they know.
Apr 21, 2021 8:20 AM

Jul 2015
In formal letters I prefer to use "Добрый день!", with acquaintances I use "привет". Actually I just noticed that I do not greeting my close friends (Am I a bad person?), irl I may say "рада тебя видеть", in telegram I may start with random topic.
dokugamineApr 22, 2021 1:20 AM
Apr 21, 2021 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
i usually just say hi to greet my friends
Apr 21, 2021 9:44 AM
Apr 2021
I mostly say Hello/Hi to greet my mates/friends.

<a href="https://tennisunit.com/tennis-racquet-stiffness/">Tennisunit</a>
Apr 21, 2021 9:52 AM

Jun 2020
hello my friend is not what indians say lol
This anime shit is addictive
Apr 21, 2021 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
SemillaMinoria said:

Yes you've got it right. It is asked as a question. It can be seen as rhetorical but usually people just respond with a brief, "Yeah good, you?" or "Not too bad." or "Could be better." sort of replies. Most of the time if you start going into a lengthy tale about how things actually are (as I often make the mistake of doing) people start to either get uncomfortable and try to make an excuse to get away or they will pretend to give a shit when they don't. But every now and then someone is genuinely interested to know if you are alright or not. You can tell they are interested because they will keep asking you more questions about it without a condescending or sarcastic tone and they may well share some examples of things that they are going through or have gone through or a story about a person they know.

They are called phatic expressions. I found about it from a Tom Scott video

I assume because she didnt say it to me right away when we met it might have been a sincere question. .....but it also may have been a delayed greeting because she was in a group of friends. She had an accent (or what i assumed to be one) different from others in the area too was really hard for me to understand her sometimes. >.> oh well at least I know I gave a response that shouldnt have confuse her lol
Apr 21, 2021 3:06 PM

Jan 2021
I used to say a simple hi//hello but now I’ve gotten used to saying hey man
Apr 21, 2021 3:10 PM

Jun 2014
I don't say "what's up," and I certainly don't call anyone "dude," "bro" or anything like that, because I hate those terms.

If I walk up to someone, I'll probably just say "hey." If I'm asking a stranger for help or advice, I would say "excuse me," in a courteous tone.

I never use honorifics or any "term" to refer to a person.

Apr 22, 2021 1:24 AM

Mar 2021
@traed phatic expressions, ay. Thanks for the informative video too.
Apr 22, 2021 1:37 AM

Jun 2011
The one I like to use is "N'aber lan dalyarak" which means something like "What's crackin', dickhead" in my language. Calling people dickhead in here is totally fine.
Apr 22, 2021 1:50 AM

Feb 2021
Seiya said:
I don't say "what's up," and I certainly don't call anyone "dude," "bro" or anything like that, because I hate those terms.

If I walk up to someone, I'll probably just say "hey." If I'm asking a stranger for help or advice, I would say "excuse me," in a courteous tone.

I never use honorifics or any "term" to refer to a person.

hey, excuse me what's up my dude. *in a courteous tone*
Apr 22, 2021 4:29 AM
ぎりぎりセーフ

Oct 2015
I usually go with the trusty "yo". Somethings I'll mix it up with a "hey" or "hi".

Apr 22, 2021 4:49 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I usually say "Hello" or "Greetings" when talking in English.

I abominate informality in all languages. "What's up" sounds awful. "Hello my friend" needs a comma.
149597871Apr 22, 2021 4:52 AM
Apr 22, 2021 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
I just say "Hi," and "how are you?" I probably only say "what's up" to my closest friends.
Apr 22, 2021 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
"hey guys!" or "yo!" To my friends

"Hello" or "excuse me, hello" to strangers or more formal times
Apr 22, 2021 4:03 PM

Oct 2015
I say Marhaba. I'm so polite that I even say Marhabalar sometimes, which means Marhaba (x2).

EpicSaxGuy said:
The one I like to use is "N'aber lan dalyarak" which means something like "What's crackin', dickhead" in my language. Calling people dickhead in here is totally fine.

N'aber lan dalyarak
Apr 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Sep 2020
yo to my friends.

Hihi to strangers.
Apr 22, 2021 6:49 PM

Dec 2014
yo isn't strictly a greeting and can mean more than 100 different things depending which is why it's cool, half the time if you're greeting someone with their guard down at all words aren't even necessary to begin with, we give these people skin, or hugs

on the slip side if you've decided on keeping proper running all day every day then you almost have to say something to people every time you cross paths ive found, this is boring and borders on humans evolving in reverse imo, i ask these people how's it going
Apr 22, 2021 6:58 PM

Aug 2013
I usually say "what's up" or "hey." If I say "hey, bro...," it's probably because I've forgotten your name.
Apr 22, 2021 9:57 PM

Aug 2007
I don't think I've ever greeted someone first, at least not within recent memory. But when people do, I usually say "hey."
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

12 by tsukareru »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Yesterday

14 by tsukareru »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
53 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - Yesterday

8 by tsukareru »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

60 by tsukareru »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.