Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 19, 2021 11:34 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
At first, I'd thought that vampires awake from coffins, and that's the case lols.

So we get into this mysterious organization called Ascra, who sends couriers to transport vials of blood that contain some virus. And in a world such that vampires cannot be found out, having middle-men like the Tenmanya be the aid in human acivitites is vital.

The show even got the 46,000 Days of Blessing right, that's one rare fesitval event to hear.

The stark contrast between the Army and Code Zero is tantamount to normal human factors, though you can't compare numbers and strategy for easy criticism. The way that humans and vampires work are vastly different, and Lieutenant Colonel Maeda must head that unit to succession.

A moment for Yamagami to meet his wife Tomiko who's still alive, his dream of supporting her endeavors in poetic words that end with a promise.
Apr 19, 2021 11:35 AM

Feb 2019
Tomiko and her husband had a really touching reunion there. I wish he could’ve told her he’s just a vampire now and not completely dead, but I guess that would’ve been pretty fucked up.
Apr 19, 2021 11:38 AM
Sep 2015
I'm very afraid of what will happened to them, as it seems like many deaths are awaiting. This is just sadness, no joy or whatsoever in Mars Red.
Apr 19, 2021 11:55 AM
Dec 2016
Can someone tell me what the point is, i dropped it in episode 1 for shitty story. but i would like to understand the other side who likes it.
Apr 19, 2021 12:23 PM

Jan 2020
IMMABEAST said:
Can someone tell me what the point is, i dropped it in episode 1 for shitty story. but i would like to understand the other side who likes it.

It's very much like Bakemonogatari (which you gave a 9), the story doesn't really introduce its cast, its main plotline, and all of its deeper meanings all in the first episode.

Each episode layers onto the central concept, the central message of the show. It's not an episode, it's an experience. Adapted from a play, each episode isn't standalone, it builds from the last episode and the episode before that to create a cohesive story.

It is the antithesis of being episodic
Apr 19, 2021 12:25 PM

Jun 2019
Well, now I'm sad seeing Yamagami and his wife Tomiko getting reunited but just for a short instance. Yamagami said what he has to say to her. I guess his wish got completed. I feel happy for him and sad for him at the same time. That was a touching half of the episode. I wonder what's happening to Maeda there on the carriage.
Apr 19, 2021 12:41 PM
Mar 2021
I think I'm too stupid for this show, had to rewatch and am still confused
Apr 19, 2021 12:45 PM
Dec 2016
I agree with everything, but what is the message than. The experience you mentioned is very weak and any mystery that would be interesting to explore nonexistent... Of course its too soon to answer on episode 3 but if youre comparing it to bakemongatari, than i can already say that unlike this scuffed story. mongatari characters have faults that make then likeable, lots of unique traits and very well done backstory. Meanwhile this show main protagonist looks like npc and even acts like npc. He has no traits, no faults there is nothing.. its empty. The guy with the mask design is cringy and i can already imagine author masturbating while creating this, so far there are no interesting characters or things you would be curious about. My knowledge is limited since i breezed through episode 3 but that doesnt mean i cant see what i see.
Apr 19, 2021 1:04 PM

Aug 2008
The story is not shitty, if u do not like move on and find something you might enjoy. Already you made your mind regarding. 🤗😌

Now, episode 3. Seems the lack of sleep is starting to put a toll on him... specially on his hearr, cus i doubt is something else
That guy been up day and night omo
Seems the blue eyed kid is a powerful vampire ohh, but now i wonder why sewa uses that mask
Aww damn talk about bad luck how u become a vampire, but seems the researcher has no issue
The spider is watching
Apr 19, 2021 1:06 PM

Jul 2020
Wife: "The joy of seeing you again in such a way feels to me almost like I am dreaming a dream from which I will never wake up."
Husband: "To be in a world ephemeral as a dream may feel unpleasant, but we are free to dream or talk of dreams as we please."

I really enjoy the dialogue in this series so far.
Apr 19, 2021 1:07 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Sad for Yamagami to have to act as a ghost to see his wife Tomiko. However, at least he gets to see her annually, and not let her completely grieve alone through his "death".
Apr 19, 2021 1:25 PM

Oct 2017
Another bittersweet episode but this was really slow.
Apr 19, 2021 1:49 PM

Oct 2019
indisa09 said:
I think I'm too stupid for this show, had to rewatch and am still confused

I feel the same, I had to read some dude's analysis on the previous episode on Reddit and I still didn't get it so I'm just appreciating the art style lol
Apr 19, 2021 1:50 PM

Oct 2019
Death flags, I see death flags everywhere.

Especially for my favourite man Suwa and then that guy who visited his wife.
Apr 19, 2021 2:22 PM

Aug 2020
If there's no class higher than S then I wonder how S class vampires are made. Hm..
Apr 19, 2021 2:45 PM

Jul 2020
For those who're confused about the deeper meaning of certain scenes and parallels to other works, try to read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/mu6nsz/mars_red_episode_3_discussion/gv4nvs6?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Each episode will be based off a play, poem, a mix, or an original play; understanding those parallels is the hardest thing but it's not needed to understand and enjoy the show (it adds a lot, though). Other than that, everything was very clear to me so I don't understand your doubts, guys. Maybe try to be more specific about what was unclear? I'd be glad to help
Apr 19, 2021 2:55 PM

Jun 2019
No action in this episode which was a tad bit disappointing, but we still got some character building with the key members of the vampire unit and more information regarding the outside pressure for it to succeed. Using the festival as a way for the vampire to talk with his wife again was a nice scene.
Apr 19, 2021 3:01 PM

Dec 2018
While this episode may have had the simplest plot, the literary references escape me for the first time. Is it a poem that the lovers quote? The way it was written made me think of the bard, but if it were one of his, the reference would be easier to track, and if not William Shakespeare, I doubt it is William Turner who their paraphrasing here, despite him coining the birds of a feather idiom.

Also, instead of a play, we had a silent movie: The covered wagon. How is that story connected to Mars Red? I am not quite sure either. It may be a parallel between the caravan's leadership struggles and those of the military, or perhaps it was meant to foreshadow a fight yet to come, as "the indians always attack at dawn", or maybe the reference asks us to focus on the song that both opens and closes the movie: Oh! Susanna, which seems to fit our lovers' separation pains.

I am not sure, and would love to hear any insight anyone else may have.
If I could be an expert in just one arcane,
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.
Apr 19, 2021 3:06 PM

Dec 2018
zVergil said:
For those who're confused about the deeper meaning of certain scenes and parallels to other works, try to read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/mu6nsz/mars_red_episode_3_discussion/gv4nvs6?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Each episode will be based off a play, poem, a mix, or an original play; understanding those parallels is the hardest thing but it's not needed to understand and enjoy the show (it adds a lot, though). Other than that, everything was very clear to me so I don't understand your doubts, guys. Maybe try to be more specific about what was unclear? I'd be glad to help

Awesomesauce! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Although I just noticed something off about this: the poster shown in the episode (and thus the material explained in the reddit post) belongs to 1950's The Wagon Master, but the girl showed up expecting to catch a showing for 1923's The Covered Wagon, and even said "I really want to go if Raiyu is narrating", since that was a silent movie.
jimfaindelApr 19, 2021 3:10 PM
it would be you.
Apr 19, 2021 3:08 PM

Dec 2015
what i wanna know is, why it took THIRTEEN DAYS inbetween ep2 on April 7 and ep3 on April 20. if this show's going to be THAT inconsistently broadcast, i'll drop it and binge watch when it's all done.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Apr 19, 2021 3:16 PM

Dec 2015
jimfaindel said:
zVergil said:

Although I just noticed something off about this: the poster shown in the episode (and thus the material explained in the reddit post) belongs to 1950's The Wagon Master, but the girl showed up expecting to catch a showing for 1923's The Covered Wagon, and even asks who'd be narrating it, since that was a silent movie.

somebody just got their Japanese history/Eras wrong. this show's supposedly set in 1923 but that silent movie would have never made it to Japan that year. maritime shipping all over the region was still subject to attack due to the regional conflicts between China, Russia, and Japan.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Apr 19, 2021 3:21 PM

Dec 2018
KiliianSleipnir said:

somebody just got their Japanese history/Eras wrong. this show's supposedly set in 1923 but that silent movie would have never made it to Japan that year. maritime shipping all over the region was still subject to attack due to the regional conflicts between China, Russia, and Japan.

I guess so. And they had been so good about it till now!

Otherwise, Bonnie and Clyde would have been a much better parallel for the previous episode than Romeo and Juliet.
it would be you.
Apr 19, 2021 3:28 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty nice episode. Glad it's gonna just gonna be a "vampire of the week" show. Instead we get more world building and good character stuff.
Apr 19, 2021 3:33 PM

Mar 2015
IMMABEAST said:
the point is in enjoying the shows that you like. if you don't like it don't force yourself and just go on with your life
ps: shitty story tho? oof, am I an average shitty story enjoyer ajajajaja
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Apr 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Jul 2020
jimfaindel said:
zVergil said:

Although I just noticed something off about this: the poster shown in the episode (and thus the material explained in the reddit post) belongs to 1950's The Wagon Master, but the girl showed up expecting to catch a showing for 1923's The Covered Wagon, and even said "I really want to go if Raiyu is narrating", since that was a silent movie.

I totally misread Aoi's line, you're actually right! I wonder if that's just because of the setting of the story or it has a deeper reason; or even just a reference like they did in the previous episode. Will definitely look more into this, thanks!

KiliianSleipnir said:
what i wanna know is, why it took THIRTEEN DAYS inbetween ep2 on April 7 and ep3 on April 20. if this show's going to be THAT inconsistently broadcast, i'll drop it and binge watch when it's all done.

Episode 2 was leaked a week earlier by a Chinese streaming service. The broadcast was supposed to be last week (April 12 with my time zone) and never experienced any delay as far as I know
Apr 19, 2021 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Several vampires being introduced, Deffrot appears to be very mysterious.
Apr 19, 2021 6:00 PM

Dec 2015
[quote=zVergil message=62833394][quote=jimfaindel message=62833117]
zVergil said:

KiliianSleipnir said:

Episode 2 was leaked a week earlier by a Chinese streaming service. The broadcast was supposed to be last week (April 12 with my time zone) and never experienced any delay as far as I know

thanks! so what, the 3/30 ep1 was a pre-broadcast early release like Eden's Zero? i figured, One on 30th, Two on 6/7, then Three on 13/14. but One was actually broadcast on the same day the leak of Two happened on April 7th? the site i use is purportedly maintained by a circle in S.Vietnam so their timezone is nigh on next door to Japan's.
Apr 19, 2021 6:12 PM

Jul 2020
jimfaindel said:
zVergil said:

thanks! so what, the 3/30 ep1 was a pre-broadcast early release like Eden's Zero? i figured, One on 30th, Two on 6/7, then Three on 13/14. but One was actually broadcast on the same day the leak of Two happened on April 7th? the site i use is purportedly maintained by a circle in S.Vietnam so their timezone is nigh on next door to Japan's.

Yes, exactly! Episode 1 pre-aired on March 30th, then they regularly broadcasted episode 2 (April 12/13) and 3 (April 19/20). As soon as they leaked ep2 on the 6/7th someone made a post about it here, so I was very confused as well ahahahah
Apr 19, 2021 6:52 PM

Dec 2020
slow episode but this was still pretty enjoyable. tomiko and his husband's little reunion was touching. im not Really interested in the show as if right now but i wont drop it either, still curious to see how things will go
Apr 19, 2021 7:28 PM
Nov 2020
This anime is honestly so good, especially with that latest episode, giving more depth to characters. I don't know why the score is so low
Apr 19, 2021 7:28 PM

Jan 2020
It felt kinda slow but it wasn't bad. Three episodes in and I've already come to the conclusion that I won't be getting tired of the ed anytime soon

Apr 19, 2021 10:16 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode! I just noticed that Maeda does the salute very awkwardly, probably because of his prosthetic right hand, that's a really cool detail. Kurusu is definitely the goodest boi in the show. Suwa suddenly teleporting in front of Yamagami and Kurusu fucking shookt me lmao.

Yamagami talking to his wife Tomiko was very sweet, I am guessing they were probably referencing poems that exists that I know nothing about. Gonna be sad though, when Tomiko dies they probably still can't reunite in the afterlife since Yamagami is still here as a vampire. Damn, does Maeda got heart problems or something. So, is Deffrot one of those foreign vampires, focusing on information probably? Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 20, 2021 1:01 AM

Apr 2018
Was Tomiko lying dead in that alley?
Apr 20, 2021 2:18 AM

Dec 2015
Dropped this. It is okay. And I would have watched it fully in a weak season. But I have 1 leftover and 3-4 sequels this season alrready. Then tons of other new stuff - that is more interesting.

I guess this is your usual story where it stays episodic until almost the end. With small reveals every now and then. (Was obvious that the young boy from the theater was a strong vampire - which they now officialy revealed.) Another main theme probably will be about the young A-rank guy being turned into a fighter. He has a high rank but not enough experience. That is really nothing special. Not bad.

But not unique enough to compete in a season with tons of other stuff.
Apr 20, 2021 2:50 AM

Oct 2008
i now have full respect to Yamagami & Tomiko! their conversation was sweet and very loyal to each other!
4/5.

expired_0 said:
If there's no class higher than S then I wonder how S class vampires are made. Hm..

if there are S class vampires that would be Seira Loyard
Franken is SS class
and Rai is SSS class...lolz i hope u get my references

Apr 20, 2021 3:25 AM

Aug 2019
damn that goodbye at the end was pretty touching
Apr 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Jul 2020
Mihaeroff said:
Was Tomiko lying dead in that alley?

Suwa found her even before Tomiko and Yamagami met, so it's not her for sure. It would have been so unnecessary sad lmao. Since the body was found in Yoshiwara - a Red Light district - I guess she was a prostitute like the other women who are shown at the end
zVergilApr 20, 2021 4:14 AM
Apr 20, 2021 4:09 AM

Apr 2017
I feel like the only thing good about this episode is that one scene at the end... -_-

Meh... I'll give it til the end nonetheless...
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 20, 2021 4:30 AM
Nov 2020
i absolutely love the animation and aesthetics of this anime, but I feel like it is sorta lacking in something, I love the slow pace but at the same time if it's only going to be 12 EPS long (idk if it is or isnt) then I feel like they need to pick up the pace a bit. it feels like they are trying to kinda take a cowboy Bebop approach to narrating, which I guess could work if they didn't seem to have an underlying plot happening. however I do find it quiet interesting and beautifully animated but there just seems to be a huge gap between what we experience in the first episode and this third EP now. I just hope it engages us a little bit more, like if it were going to be longer than 12 EPS then I have no problem with the slow pace but it feels like we're going to end up unsatisfied. any one else agree
Apr 20, 2021 5:24 AM

Nov 2013
so many questions so little answers aaaaa i cant wait for it all to reveal
also was the dead girl the guys wife or was that someone else? she looked kinda similar
Apr 20, 2021 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
zVergil said:

I did not expect to find my Reddit post here lol
Apr 20, 2021 8:06 AM

Jul 2020
MooneBoy24 said:
zVergil said:

I did not expect to find my Reddit post here lol

I must spread the word, everyone needs to know lmao. Seriously though, you're doing God's work for those who are interested in the series. I truly appreciate that!
Apr 20, 2021 9:17 AM

Jan 2021
This episode was pretty slow compared to their other two but the show seems to be setting up a good story and more deaths. So far it seems pretty good to me and I am really enjoying the animation.
Apr 20, 2021 11:08 AM

Mar 2016
I don't quite trust the old man. He seems too good.

Deffrot has done nothing so far, yet I am finding him interesting. I wonder if he's the villain. I don't think he is. I just think he's going to be trouble.

I wanna know how old the Kaneki look-alike is. He seems 21 or 22, and I can't stop thinking that he looks really sexy. But he got called a minor. That's making me feel awkward!

Speaking of sexy, the ED is also very sexy. I think I should check out more of Hyde's songs.
Apr 20, 2021 6:57 PM

Jul 2013
Yay we got to see the pretty Tenmanya shopkeeper again.

The moment when Suwa appeared out of thin air with a knife against Yamagami's neck had me so surprised I had to replay it.

No action, but a lot of character focus and political drama. The reunion between Tomiko and Yamagami was of course very touching. With her planning to hold there to her husband even after his "death", I was reminded of something I read (on reddit?) about Japanese history and widows not remarrying.

Anyway, I think Deffrot will be a threat. Though we haven't really seen him do anything sooo maybe he is just a red herring?

The scientist is such a trip. He feels like a character from Fire Force or something. Everywhere else is melancholic or apathetic about being a vampire, while he's excited to continue science-ing for eternity XD
queenhinataApr 20, 2021 7:03 PM
Apr 21, 2021 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
This series is begging for a sequel about military use of vampires in WWII. It will never happen. Sad.
Apr 21, 2021 8:41 AM

Feb 2020
That was a sweet reunion, Kurusu a cool lad giving such opportunity for Yamagami.
Also Tomiko in the end-credits, she might be the vampire, otherwise it would be pretty weird for her to be in the in the next episode preview .
Apr 21, 2021 10:24 AM

Jul 2020
NagiAbyss said:
That was a sweet reunion, Kurusu a cool lad giving such opportunity for Yamagami.
Also Tomiko in the end-credits, she might be the vampire, otherwise it would be pretty weird for her to be in the in the next episode preview .

They indeed look similar but I'm sure it wasn't her. It wasn't even a preview: they mentioned that the body was found in Yoshiwara, a Red Light district. So that woman and all the others that are shown with their hands out are probably just prostitutes. Also yeah, Kurusu best boi <3
Apr 21, 2021 10:54 AM

Feb 2020
zVergil said:
NagiAbyss said:

They indeed look similar but I'm sure it wasn't her. It wasn't even a preview: they mentioned that the body was found in Yoshiwara, a Red Light district. So that woman and all the others that are shown with their hands out are probably just prostitutes. Also yeah, Kurusu best boi <3

i see oh well thnx for clarifying
Apr 22, 2021 5:11 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
More Zero daily lives episode. I get to see the reason behind that pink haired vamp scientist vampirism. Lab incident straight through his eye? More like a fate for him to reach his desire. Not to mentioned how the masked vamp was the oldest among them, obviously, and somehow he recognized the blonde vamp kid one. Interesting direction, the action packed possibly happened next!

Meanwhile, the newest member of the vamps unit from the army, really had the bad identity, when they considered themself as a death men to the society. Rip to their human identity, ofc. The older one, needed to add that emotional farewell to his beloved wife, before entering another combat mode at the next episode. Interesting how Kurusu finally got used to his identity as a vamp by using the power really well placed. While the leader of them suddenly had some bad sign on his body, after receiving such a well pressure from his upperclassmen in the army rank. Especially with that high effort wish from his commander.

Well, whats the impact he get after that? Lets see next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

53 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 10, 2021

47 by BreakApart »»
Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

184 by Muow »»
Apr 22, 2023 3:51 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

37 by Muow »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 24, 2021

40 by Muow »»
Feb 13, 2023 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.