Forum Settings
Forums

Are there injuries in anime you can't stand to watch?

New
Apr 19, 2021 9:51 AM

Nov 2008
We are all pretty desensitized to animated violence in anime by now I'd imagine...but some scenes involving certain areas of the body can STILL really get to me....so I will share.

It seems I cannot take watching anything involving injury to finger/toenails

Monster

I am aware of the Higurashi 2006 fingernail scene....and I don't think I can watch that. xD

I also don't like stuff involving TEETH...though I haven't seen a lot of tooth horror in anime...I know I'll be avoiding Speed Grapher with the dentist from hell 8D

(also not anime but the scene in Castaway...STOP USING THAT ICE SKATE BLADE ON YOUR TOOTH TOM...YUCK lmao.)

I find it kinda weird how something like decapitation can get a "meh" from me but the stuff like above will trigger me going "EW EW EW STOP!!! NOOOOOO!!!" x_x

How about you guys? I am curious. Why do we react differently to different kinds of violence?

Also if you share, I would advise against posting graphic images or at least putting them in spoilers

Apr 19, 2021 10:30 AM

Jul 2020
Now, I haven't seen too many anime that have had the type of injuries that you've mentioned, but the first one that comes to mind to me is Elfen Lied. Elfen Lied, to me, definitely had messed up moments, but I somehow was able to watch the entirety of Elfen Lied without even looking away, I haven't seen Another, but I thought that the scene with the
was a scene that I can imagine a lot of people looking away at and the scene with
and I also thought that the scene in Akame ga Kill with
Zackack99Apr 19, 2021 10:35 AM
Apr 19, 2021 10:33 AM

Oct 2010
when an anime boy gets hit in the balls I feel it.
Apr 19, 2021 10:39 AM

Feb 2021
I still haven’t grown up from this..
Apr 19, 2021 10:40 AM

Sep 2020
It hurts to watch anyone getting hit on balls
you weren't supposed to see this,be careful now

Apr 19, 2021 10:42 AM

Feb 2016
Chiibi said:
It seems I cannot take watching anything involving injury to finger/toenails

Kakegurui has an episode like this.
その目だれの目?
Apr 19, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2021
honestly its mostly about the characters response to it: the gestures, facial expression and voice actor selling the pain if its an anime.
like getting slammed into a wall, punched in the guts and kicked in the face? as long as the character is just as desensitized from the violence, so am i. but if the character is lying on the ground squirming, coughing up blood, hardly breathing then i have to click off the episode and collect myself. dont know why.
recent examples include the first episode of to your eternity - seeing his fever really made me feel his pain too.
same for tokyo revengers when the dudes lie there getting beat up. hard to watch. makes you realize how desensitized to violence you are and how much just a punch would actually hurt, let alone being kicked repeatedly.

its really all about the characters reaction. if someone is decapitated i can be like meh (in jigokuraku, for example) but if a character witnessed that decapitation and is so horrfied and disgusted that they vomit? i have to damn near watch myself to not vomit, too
sntiagoApr 19, 2021 10:48 AM
obscure anime for u idiots to watch right NOW
1.Odd Taxi WATCH THIS!!!!!
2.LINK CLICK super underrated!! (chinese, foto-time travelling, emotional stories dope music)
3.Mashiro no Oto if u like traditional jap banger music

please support Cherry&virgin if u can!!
Apr 19, 2021 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
not really tbh, i think the psychological stuff can be a lot harder to watch in most cases
Apr 19, 2021 10:57 AM

Nov 2016
No, but it really pains me when food is left uneaten (or a glass still half full with a drink in it etc. )

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 19, 2021 10:59 AM

May 2014
Fingers bring broken/bent backwards? Legit makes me queasy just thinking about it. Broke my pinky before and anytime I see fingers break I'm horrified, lmao
Apr 19, 2021 11:07 AM

Nov 2008
@Zackack99

OH THE UMBRELLA SCENE....it does look REALLY painful xD and it's also really absurd...it's like you don't know whether to laugh or gag....lol I think a few of Another's deaths made me laugh (says a lot about me doesn't it) but injuries to the throat are also hard to look at.

@Lucifrost Thank you for the heads up...though it doesn't look like a show I'd like to watch anyway. xD

@sntiago you're very right about that response thing. Also I can't stand vomiting either lol. Unless it's covered in rainbow gradients...that is just funny. xD

Apr 19, 2021 11:18 AM

Aug 2011
When I saw the topic, I instantly thought of fingernail and toenail stuff, even before I read your post. My finger got smashed in a door when I was young and the nail fell off, and I've been freaked out by nail stuff ever since.

I saw that scene from Higurashi nearly 15 years ago, and it STILL regularly comes back to me to this day. I wish I would have skipped it so it just wasn't in my head. I had actually forgotten about that scene from Monster until I re-watched it last year. Again, I wish I had skipped it.
Apr 19, 2021 11:19 AM

May 2020
There's one in Made in Abyss season one that's I just can't see (Pretty sure the people who has seen it know what I'm talking about).
Apr 19, 2021 11:21 AM

Dec 2019
bro i started squinting when
Apr 19, 2021 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
@palm-tree

OH NO. OUCH. I am so sorry that happened to you!! That really sounds awful. Legit reason to avoid painful scenes for you though. I am just a wuss. 8D

@Dartronix Do you mean the part where

Apr 19, 2021 1:47 PM

Jul 2013
The nail ripping scene in og Higurashi was hard to watch. Even more so now that I've had a nail surgery and know how much it hurts.

Steins;Gate
Apr 19, 2021 1:55 PM

Jan 2020
Zackack99 said:
Now, I haven't seen too many anime that have had the type of injuries that you've mentioned, but the first one that comes to mind to me is Elfen Lied. Elfen Lied, to me, definitely had messed up moments, but I somehow was able to watch the entirety of Elfen Lied without even looking away, I haven't seen Another, but I thought that the scene with the
was a scene that I can imagine a lot of people looking away at and the scene with

I think I dropped another after that Umbrella scene.

Finger nails and that form of torture is unbearable to watch.

Sometimes I have to skip or look away from a gory scene. Blade of the Immortal was one of the goriest I have seen, and it definitely made me uncomfortable more than once.

Some of the Attack on Titan scenes from season 1 and 2 were hard to watch for me for the first time.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 19, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2020
samashi20 said:
Zackack99 said:

I think I dropped another after that Umbrella scene.

Finger nails and that form of torture is unbearable to watch.

Sometimes I have to skip or look away from a gory scene. Blade of the Immortal was one of the goriest I have seen, and it definitely made me uncomfortable more than once.

Some of the Attack on Titan scenes from season 1 and 2 were hard to watch for me for the first time.

Yeah, I felt really bad for Kaneki, all he wanted was a girlfriend. Also, in the manga (Your able to look at these spoilers, it's just talking about the same things that you were talking about, just the differences between the anime and the manga):
Zackack99Apr 19, 2021 2:46 PM
Apr 19, 2021 2:37 PM

Jul 2019
When something really horrible happens I'm going to think it's disgusting but I will manage. But it gets to me if that happens to characters I really like. It makes me sad but I'll just root for them even more and wonder how they will be able to get out of this bad situation.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Apr 19, 2021 2:38 PM

Nov 2013
The only thing, that comes to mind is Genocyber, when the policeman wakes up and sees that he has been skinned. But, well, Genocyber is not for the faint of heart in general.

The sex scenes in Wicked City were pretty messed up.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 19, 2021 3:39 PM

Nov 2015
I don't do good with gore so there's a lot. The finger breaking in Redo of Healer episode 2... I had to skip that. I didn't skip most of anything else in that anime but I had to skip that.
Apr 19, 2021 3:46 PM

Dec 2014
I remember when aot first came out
Apr 19, 2021 9:33 PM

Jan 2020
maybe the higurashi nail scene comes close

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by FanofAction »»
23 seconds ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
13 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.