Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2021 8:51 AM
Oct 2020
I was on a couple of threads about Fate/stay night and I saw a lot of Shiro slander saying he is generic. I feel like he is a really misunderstood character with a lot more depth than just "I want to be a hero and see bad guys go boom boom".

Here's my take: The thing I saw most people take issue with in regards to Shiro is that they claimed he was a generic shonen protagonist and he wants to fight bad guys just for the sake of fighting bad guys. However, it goes much deeper than that. Shiro strives to be a hero because of a traumatic event he lived through when he was a young boy (The accident at the end of Fate/Zero where Kiritsigu saves him). Shiro has been depressed since that day that he lost everything, Rin even says that Shiro never truly smiled. But, the memory of Kiritsugu's smiling face when he found Shiro in the rubble is burned into Shiro's memory (Likely due to trauma). Now Shiro strives to be a "hero of justice" in order to feel the happiness Kiritsugu felt when he saved Shiro- basically he wants to be a "hero of justice to feel happiness for the first time in his life.

Shiro's story is one that explores the concept of childhood trauma and how that trauma can affect someone as they grow older. Shiro does not know what happiness is having never felt it himself, so Shiro bases his conception of happiness off of the person who saved him. Shiro's unwavering ideals, that he himself admits are foolish during his fight with Archer, are unwavering because if he does not achieve these ideals then he will never be able to be happy like Kiritsugu was in his memories.

That's just my take on Shiro as a character. I think he is a deeply flawed character likely due to the childhood trauma he experienced, and he is supposed to come off as selfish and overly heroic/helpful to a fault. I could give a bunch more examples of this but I'd like to hear other opinions. Do you agree? Disagree? Do you like Shiro as a character? Lmk
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2021 9:05 AM

Jul 2017
Had me wondering what that NGNL loli was doing in UBW for a second lol

Apr 14, 2021 9:18 AM
Oct 2020
Attackonfiller said:
Had me wondering what that NGNL loli was doing in UBW for a second lol

I haven’t seen NGNL yet but I wanna start it soon :3
Apr 14, 2021 9:29 AM

Oct 2020
He is ass, I don't like him, bruh Kiritsugu was better
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Apr 14, 2021 9:50 AM
Nov 2020
actually he sucks comparing to Emiya kiritsugu who was poerfectly written... shirou sreems like a shounen protagonist to me😑
Apr 14, 2021 9:56 AM
Apr 2017
ChocoTaco said:
I was on a couple of threads about Fate/stay night and I saw a lot of Shiro slander saying he is generic. I feel like he is a really misunderstood character with a lot more depth than just "I want to be a hero and see bad guys go boom boom".

Here's my take: The thing I saw most people take issue with in regards to Shiro is that they claimed he was a generic shonen protagonist and he wants to fight bad guys just for the sake of fighting bad guys. However, it goes much deeper than that. Shiro strives to be a hero because of a traumatic event he lived through when he was a young boy (The accident at the end of Fate/Zero where Kiritsigu saves him). Shiro has been depressed since that day that he lost everything, Rin even says that Shiro never truly smiled. But, the memory of Kiritsugu's smiling face when he found Shiro in the rubble is burned into Shiro's memory (Likely due to trauma). Now Shiro strives to be a "hero of justice" in order to feel the happiness Kiritsugu felt when he saved Shiro- basically he wants to be a "hero of justice to feel happiness for the first time in his life.

Shiro's story is one that explores the concept of childhood trauma and how that trauma can affect someone as they grow older. Shiro does not know what happiness is having never felt it himself, so Shiro bases his conception of happiness off of the person who saved him. Shiro's unwavering ideals, that he himself admits are foolish during his fight with Archer, are unwavering because if he does not achieve these ideals then he will never be able to be happy like Kiritsugu was in his memories.

That's just my take on Shiro as a character. I think he is a deeply flawed character likely due to the childhood trauma he experienced, and he is supposed to come off as selfish and overly heroic/helpful to a fault. I could give a bunch more examples of this but I'd like to hear other opinions. Do you agree? Disagree? Do you like Shiro as a character? Lmk
Quite agree with you
Apr 14, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah defo. He's my favourite Fate mc and one of my favourite characters. I don't understand why ppl hate him so much, but I guess that's to be expected from a community that only cares about characters being strong and "badass"
Apr 14, 2021 10:33 AM

Oct 2019
It depends. Are you basing it from Anime ONLY experience? Sure, people most likely not going to like him. Main reason is because that Shirou is shallow and incomplete. Despite the fact that Ufotable does the best they can with the adaptation. IF you are going by Shirou’s VN where he is fully fleshed out then yes, he is amongst the best MCs ever being created.
So most likely all the hate comes from not knowing the whole story as per usual.
Apr 14, 2021 11:03 AM
Apr 2020
ChocoTaco said:

I mean unfortunately for UBW, a lot of people are going to compare it to Zero, even though they are written by completely different people. On its own, it’s probably not that bad, and Shiro’s probably not that bad of a protagonist. Since I watched Zero first I can’t help but compare the two, especially the MC’s as father and adoptive son. Saying the Shiro is just a generic shonen might be unfair. Generic gives the connotation of lazy, and I don’t really think of Shiro as lazy, just more so poorly executed. I recognize that he has a tragic backstory and a clear motivation, but that doesn’t necessarily give him much depth. Personally I don’t really feel attached to him as a character. Typically, if a character is shown to have a tragic backstory which creates a conflict within their character, I need to not recognize the clear line as to how the to are connected, as well as feel that the conflict is realistic and compelling. For Shiro, I just don’t really find his internal conflict interesting. It become really clear to me how uninteresting I found his character when the stories twist unfolded and archer true identity was revealed. It’s not that it was surprising, I just don’t find any emotional impact from the reveal which just made it lack luster.
It might be annoying to compare him to Kiritsugu, but I personally could help doing so as I watched UBW. Obviously a lot of people praise him as an MC, so you could find a lot more on his analysis, but to be brief one of my appeals to his character in contrast was how his motivation played into his backstory, which shaped such a warped idealistic nature. The story of a good man, who honestly could be better then most, who because of a childhood mistake which cause the death of an entire village, leads him to force himself to make unthinkable decision and acts of violence in the name of the better good was truly tragic, and I believe they executed it fantastically with his character. On his initial introduction you can tell he is probably a good man, but then once you start seeing the actions he takes to achieve his goals, the contrast becomes very apparent. The dissonance between a originally kindhearted, then Machiavellian Utilitarian was more than enough to find interest in his character.

Obviously you could very well disagree with my conclusion, and your not necessarily wrong for doing so, but there’s definitely a lot of people who feel this way, as the basis for your question. If you enjoyed UBW, more power to you, I just could help compare it to Zero as a proceeding story, which left me very dissatisfied. There’s not necessarily anything gained by being more critical of shows, since in the end they’re just entertainment, and the more you like the better your time is spent, so don’t fee anything pressure to change your views just because others might disagree.
Apr 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Feb 2020
ChocoTaco said:

I couldn’t agree more with what you just said, i think people just see him as your typical “I wanna be a hero” character, when in reality there is much more to his character and tbh i dont think that he was better in the visual novel as some people seem to say, i think he is literally the same in the anime than in the VN, i played the VN after i watched the heavens feel movies and by that point I already though his character was brilliant and after i played the VN i felt the same way about him.

A lot of people seem to try and compare him to Kiritsugu and i dont think that it’s fair comparing those two since they are so different, Kiritsugu is kinda like the harsh reality of his dreams and he shows that there is no way to save everyone and Shirou is more like a dreamer who thinks that it’s possible to save everyone, both of their ideologies are really different and it’s something I really like, i think that Kiritsugu and Shirou are both amazing but i like Shirou more just because i do think that his character is much more fleshed out and in Heaven’s Feel 3 he is even more of a bad ass than Kiritsugu imo.
Apr 14, 2021 11:58 AM
Dec 2020
He is definitely not as good in Ubw compared to kiritsugu.But imo, heavens feel shirou is better than kiritsugu
Apr 14, 2021 12:08 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah he's got all the girls and he's /fit/. Also the VN includes some some extra character moments that make him more likeable.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 14, 2021 12:13 PM
Oct 2020
RandomGuyScott said:
It depends. Are you basing it from Anime ONLY experience? Sure, people most likely not going to like him. Main reason is because that Shirou is shallow and incomplete. Despite the fact that Ufotable does the best they can with the adaptation. IF you are going by Shirou’s VN where he is fully fleshed out then yes, he is amongst the best MCs ever being created.
So most likely all the hate comes from not knowing the whole story as per usual.

I’ve only watched the anime so far
Apr 14, 2021 12:16 PM
Oct 2020
Mayhem_Psywar said:
actually he sucks comparing to Emiya kiritsugu who was poerfectly written... shirou sreems like a shounen protagonist to me😑

Hmm shiro and kiritsugu honestly seem quite similar to me. Idk why but I personally was never really interested in kiritsugu that much. I always found Kirei/gilgamesh to be a more interesting pair in fate/Zero. In ubw shiro/Rin is the pair that I’m most interested in so that’s prob why I like shiro more than kiritsugu
Apr 14, 2021 12:24 PM
Oct 2020
Waifu4Laifu_69 said:
ChocoTaco said:

I couldn’t agree more with what you just said, i think people just see him as your typical “I wanna be a hero” character, when in reality there is much more to his character and tbh i dont think that he was better in the visual novel as some people seem to say, i think he is literally the same in the anime than in the VN, i played the VN after i watched the heavens feel movies and by that point I already though his character was brilliant and after i played the VN i felt the same way about him.

A lot of people seem to try and compare him to Kiritsugu and i dont think that it’s fair comparing those two since they are so different, Kiritsugu is kinda like the harsh reality of his dreams and he shows that there is no way to save everyone and Shirou is more like a dreamer who thinks that it’s possible to save everyone, both of their ideologies are really different and it’s something I really like, i think that Kiritsugu and Shirou are both amazing but i like Shirou more just because i do think that his character is much more fleshed out and in Heaven’s Feel 3 he is even more of a bad ass than Kiritsugu imo.

Yeah I agree with you. Ppl in this thread keep trying to bring up kiritsugu to compare to shiro when there is really no reason to compare the two. They both appear in the same series, but kiritsugu only appears in flashbacks in UBW; he’s barely in the show.

The thing I think a lot of people are missing is that kiritsugu can exist and be a good character and so can shiro. They’re not the same so there’s no reason to compare. Like u said they take different approaches to a similar ideology and there’s no way to say who is right. Kiritsugus approach is more realistic and pragmatic while shiro’s approach is idealistic and foolish, but there’s also something beautiful about it in its own way
Apr 14, 2021 12:26 PM
Oct 2020
Theo1899 said:
Yeah he's got all the girls and he's /fit/. Also the VN includes some some extra character moments that make him more likeable.

And he’s strong. he’s got everything you’d want what’s not to like haha
Apr 14, 2021 12:26 PM
Oct 2020
Frankogml said:
He is definitely not as good in Ubw compared to kiritsugu.But imo, heavens feel shirou is better than kiritsugu

Haven’t watched heavens feel yet but I’ll check it out soon
Apr 14, 2021 12:29 PM
Nov 2020
ChocoTaco said:
Mayhem_Psywar said:

Hmm shiro and kiritsugu honestly seem quite similar to me. Idk why but I personally was never really interested in kiritsugu that much. I always found Kirei/gilgamesh to be a more interesting pair in fate/Zero. In ubw shiro/Rin is the pair that I’m most interested in so that’s prob why I like shiro more than kiritsugu
well, people have different thoughts,but if u think deeply about each one and their beliefs, you see thay kiritsugu's character was an adult man with realist thoughts but shiro is just swaying in his dreams and thinks as a shounen protagonist does... i believe kiritsugu has a deeper and better character and u think the opposite.
Apr 14, 2021 12:31 PM

Sep 2016
It's dumb to compare Kiritsugu with Shirou lol. Kiritsugu was like 30yo+ and was more mature. Shirou is about 16, and didn't have life as hard as Kiritsugu had. He is also not generic because
1. He is not like " I have to kill every bad guy"
Or " I have to become the strongest MC"
He just wants to be happy in life with Rin/Sakura and win the Holy Grail War with none of his friends dying.
Apr 14, 2021 12:35 PM

Feb 2020
ChocoTaco said:
Waifu4Laifu_69 said:

Yeah I agree with you. Ppl in this thread keep trying to bring up kiritsugu to compare to shiro when there is really no reason to compare the two. They both appear in the same series, but kiritsugu only appears in flashbacks in UBW; he’s barely in the show.

The thing I think a lot of people are missing is that kiritsugu can exist and be a good character and so can shiro. They’re not the same so there’s no reason to compare. Like u said they take different approaches to a similar ideology and there’s no way to say who is right. Kiritsugus approach is more realistic and pragmatic while shiro’s approach is idealistic and foolish, but there’s also something beautiful about it in its own way

As you said Shirou is idealistic and foolish, but thats kind of the point, there is a whole episode in UBW in where it’s literally Shirou realizing that his dream is foolish and impossible but for him that doesn’t matter since he will keep doing what he believes is correct, thats what i personally liked about his character, and if you haven’t watched Heavens Feel, I really recommend you do since those movies made him better and I think that Heavens Feel is the peak of Fate, so if you haven’t checked them out I recommend you do.
Apr 14, 2021 12:49 PM

Jan 2021
I don't know why people hate Shirou, but I like him as a protagonist.
Apr 14, 2021 1:01 PM
Oct 2020
Pdx0116 said:
ChocoTaco said:

I mean unfortunately for UBW, a lot of people are going to compare it to Zero, even though they are written by completely different people. On its own, it’s probably not that bad, and Shiro’s probably not that bad of a protagonist. Since I watched Zero first I can’t help but compare the two, especially the MC’s as father and adoptive son. Saying the Shiro is just a generic shonen might be unfair. Generic gives the connotation of lazy, and I don’t really think of Shiro as lazy, just more so poorly executed. I recognize that he has a tragic backstory and a clear motivation, but that doesn’t necessarily give him much depth. Personally I don’t really feel attached to him as a character. Typically, if a character is shown to have a tragic backstory which creates a conflict within their character, I need to not recognize the clear line as to how the to are connected, as well as feel that the conflict is realistic and compelling. For Shiro, I just don’t really find his internal conflict interesting. It become really clear to me how uninteresting I found his character when the stories twist unfolded and archer true identity was revealed. It’s not that it was surprising, I just don’t find any emotional impact from the reveal which just made it lack luster.
It might be annoying to compare him to Kiritsugu, but I personally could help doing so as I watched UBW. Obviously a lot of people praise him as an MC, so you could find a lot more on his analysis, but to be brief one of my appeals to his character in contrast was how his motivation played into his backstory, which shaped such a warped idealistic nature. The story of a good man, who honestly could be better then most, who because of a childhood mistake which cause the death of an entire village, leads him to force himself to make unthinkable decision and acts of violence in the name of the better good was truly tragic, and I believe they executed it fantastically with his character. On his initial introduction you can tell he is probably a good man, but then once you start seeing the actions he takes to achieve his goals, the contrast becomes very apparent. The dissonance between a originally kindhearted, then Machiavellian Utilitarian was more than enough to find interest in his character.

Obviously you could very well disagree with my conclusion, and your not necessarily wrong for doing so, but there’s definitely a lot of people who feel this way, as the basis for your question. If you enjoyed UBW, more power to you, I just could help compare it to Zero as a proceeding story, which left me very dissatisfied. There’s not necessarily anything gained by being more critical of shows, since in the end they’re just entertainment, and the more you like the better your time is spent, so don’t fee anything pressure to change your views just because others might disagree.

I also watched fate/zero first :) for me, in fate/zero I rooted for kariya to win even though I didn’t find his character that intriguing and in ubw I rooted for shiro and rin to win which made me feel attached to him. I can’t really counter your point that he doesn’t have much depth as a character because he doesn’t. All he is is someone who survived a tragic event, is depressed, and has deeply flawed ideals. Personally I enjoyed the series’ exploration into how shiro’s ideals are flawed and the twist at the end with archer paid off for me because it allowed the viewers and shiro to see what could have been if all of his flawed ideals were realized. Now that shiro was able to see where following his ideals will lead him he is able to forge a better path for the future for himself which is explicitly stated at the very final scene of UBW. Although in that final scene we are also told that not everything goes perfectly for shiro.

My purpose for making this post was more to counter the people who were calling shiro a generic shonen protagonist when I don’t see him that way. Most shonen protagonists tend to not have flawed ideals which shape their identity (Ofc some do though). I think people would connect with shiro a lot more if he was able to work through some of his trauma in the show through his fight with archer. It was slightly disappointing that shiro’s fight with archer didn’t seem to change his character much that likely would have given him more depth. Although it makes sense because shiro’s ideals are what he connects to happiness so abandoning his ideals would be like abandoning happiness for him.

I don’t really have much to say about kiritsugu. Honestly I appreciated kiritsugus presence in fate/zero but I was always more compelled by other characters like Gilgamesh, kotomine, and even rider who was just fun. To me shiro is the most compelling character to root for in UBW which is probably why I like him.
Thanks for ur response :) u actually explained a valid reason ppl wouldn’t like shiro
Apr 14, 2021 1:12 PM
Oct 2020
Mayhem_Psywar said:
ChocoTaco said:

well, people have different thoughts,but if u think deeply about each one and their beliefs, you see thay kiritsugu's character was an adult man with realist thoughts but shiro is just swaying in his dreams and be thinks as a shounen protagonist does... i believe kiritsugu has a deeper and better character and u think the opposite.

Lol nah I def don’t think shiro is a deeper character than kiritsugu I just think shiro is misunderstood. maybe people don’t want to understand him. Also if just believing in your dreams makes u a shonen protagonist then kiritsugu is one too because he is fighting for the grail to achieve his dreams. Personally I think a generic shonen protagonist is like goku/luffy who want to be the strongest just to be the strongest and are kinda blank slates personality wise. I love both luffy and goku but they’re pretty generic. Shiro’s flawed ideals and the trauma he’s gone through make him different from a generic shonen protagonist. You rarely see depression portrayed in an anime even though it was lightly portrayed and barely touched upon. If the anime had explored those subjects more I think shiro would be a much more liked character overall.
Apr 14, 2021 1:17 PM
Oct 2020
Waifu4Laifu_69 said:
ChocoTaco said:

As you said Shirou is idealistic and foolish, but thats kind of the point, there is a whole episode in UBW in where it’s literally Shirou realizing that his dream is foolish and impossible but for him that doesn’t matter since he will keep doing what he believes is correct, thats what i personally liked about his character, and if you haven’t watched Heavens Feel, I really recommend you do since those movies made him better and I think that Heavens Feel is the peak of Fate, so if you haven’t checked them out I recommend you do.

Exactly. There’s something to say about someone who follows their ideals to the end even if those ideals might be foolish. One might even call them foolish for doing so. But like saber said if she hadn’t followed her ideals she’d have lived a life of regret and that’s just as bad.

Also yess I gotta check out heavens feel everyone in the thread keeps telling me shiro is even better in that series which is making me hyped.
Apr 14, 2021 1:18 PM
Nov 2020
ChocoTaco said:
Mayhem_Psywar said:
well, people have different thoughts,but if u think deeply about each one and their beliefs, you see thay kiritsugu's character was an adult man with realist thoughts but shiro is just swaying in his dreams and be thinks as a shounen protagonist does... i believe kiritsugu has a deeper and better character and u think the opposite.

Lol nah I def don’t think shiro is a deeper character than kiritsugu I just think shiro is misunderstood. maybe people don’t want to understand him. Also if just believing in your dreams makes u a shonen protagonist then kiritsugu is one too because he is fighting for the grail to achieve his dreams. Personally I think a generic shonen protagonist is like goku/luffy who want to be the strongest just to be the strongest and are kinda blank slates personality wise. I love both luffy and goku but they’re pretty generic. Shiro’s flawed ideals and the trauma he’s gone through make him different from a generic shonen protagonist. You rarely see depression portrayed in an anime even though it was lightly portrayed and barely touched upon. If the anime had explored those subjects more I think shiro would be a much more liked character overall.
it depends on the dream they have to be decided as a shounen protagonist or not. some dreams are based on reality and some aren't. It's a fact in real life that you can't always help and save anyone, that's what kiritsugu believed im and his dream was based on this fact. but if you focus, a lot of shounen protagonists have dreams that doesn't make sense in reality and the story is gonna either end up as they dreamed or is gonna be exactly the opposite and the MC understands that his dream is impossible. what shiro believes in and dreams about has the same factors that i mentioned about shonen protagonists, doesn't it?
Apr 14, 2021 1:18 PM
Apr 2020
ChocoTaco said:
Pdx0116 said:

I also watched fate/zero first :) for me, in fate/zero I rooted for kariya to win even though I didn’t find his character that intriguing and in ubw I rooted for shiro and rin to win which made me feel attached to him. I can’t really counter your point that he doesn’t have much depth as a character because he doesn’t. All he is is someone who survived a tragic event, is depressed, and has deeply flawed ideals. Personally I enjoyed the series’ exploration into how shiro’s ideals are flawed and the twist at the end with archer paid off for me because it allowed the viewers and shiro to see what could have been if all of his flawed ideals were realized. Now that shiro was able to see where following his ideals will lead him he is able to forge a better path for the future for himself which is explicitly stated at the very final scene of UBW. Although in that final scene we are also told that not everything goes perfectly for shiro.

My purpose for making this post was more to counter the people who were calling shiro a generic shonen protagonist when I don’t see him that way. Most shonen protagonists tend to not have flawed ideals which shape their identity (Ofc some do though). I think people would connect with shiro a lot more if he was able to work through some of his trauma in the show through his fight with archer. It was slightly disappointing that shiro’s fight with archer didn’t seem to change his character much that likely would have given him more depth. Although it makes sense because shiro’s ideals are what he connects to happiness so abandoning his ideals would be like abandoning happiness for him.

I don’t really have much to say about kiritsugu. Honestly I appreciated kiritsugus presence in fate/zero but I was always more compelled by other characters like Gilgamesh, kotomine, and even rider who was just fun. To me shiro is the most compelling character to root for in UBW which is probably why I like him.
Thanks for ur response :) u actually explained a valid reason ppl wouldn’t like shiro

Oh yeah for your point about Zero there’s so many characters that are given compelling motivations, and I’d say all those that you mentioned were someone of the highlights. Might be another reason why I was a little bit disappointed by UBW cause they did Kotomine dirty by comparison, but to be fair he was definitely not the focus, and it was written before Zero, so it’s understandable to have different characters with more emphasis on developing.
So just from my experience watching shows and seeing reactions, there’s several responses that I just sort of tune out. 9 times out of 10 terms like generic or overrated are oversimplification to express dissatisfaction either because the person doesn’t understand their issues with the show or doesn’t feel like taking the time to explain.I don’t expect everyone to be as analytical, because at the end of the day it’s just entertainment and some people put more time into thinking or taking about it than others. So that’s why I just try to tune those out because arguing with them is usually just a waste of time and energy. I definitely understand how annoying it can be though when someone just drops a term like that into a discussion without any explanation and then act like they hold a superior view. It’s all subjective but that’s barely even an opinion, and usually a lot of people who fee the exact same way so it’s not like it’s revolutionary.
Apr 14, 2021 1:26 PM
Apr 2021
I found him quite nice and interesting, his idea of being a "hero of justice" was a bit strange and a bit boring, but otherwise I don't think he's a bad main character, I really like him.
Apr 14, 2021 1:29 PM
Oct 2020
Mayhem_Psywar said:
ChocoTaco said:

it depends on the dream they have to be decided as a shounen protagonist or not. some dreams are based on reality and some aren't. It's a fact in real life that you can't always help and save anyone, that's what kiritsugu believed im and his dream was based on this fact. but if you focus, a lot of shounen protagonists have dreams that doesn't make sense in reality and the story is gonna either end up as they dreamed or is gonna be exactly the opposite and the MC understands that his dream is impossible. what shiro believes in and dreams about has the same factors that i mentioned about shonen protagonists, doesn't it?

Okay that’s a fair point. I agree with u that kiritsugu was written and executed in a far better manner than shiro. It sucks cuz I think shiro had potential if the series did just a couple things differently. I’d still argue shiro isn’t generic but it doesn’t really matter lol. I think we define a generic shonen protagonist differently and that’s okay :)
Apr 14, 2021 1:31 PM
Oct 2020
Alexasa11 said:
I found him quite nice and interesting, his idea of being a "hero of justice" was a bit strange and a bit boring, but otherwise I don't think he's a bad main character, I really like him.

I agree, his ideal was childish and boring but made sense within the context of the story. I think shiro was the most entertaining part of ubw tbh
Apr 14, 2021 1:51 PM
Oct 2020
Pdx0116 said:
ChocoTaco said:

Oh yeah for your point about Zero there’s so many characters that are given compelling motivations, and I’d say all those that you mentioned were someone of the highlights. Might be another reason why I was a little bit disappointed by UBW cause they did Kotomine dirty by comparison, but to be fair he was definitely not the focus, and it was written before Zero, so it’s understandable to have different characters with more emphasis on developing.
So just from my experience watching shows and seeing reactions, there’s several responses that I just sort of tune out. 9 times out of 10 terms like generic or overrated are oversimplification to express dissatisfaction either because the person doesn’t understand their issues with the show or doesn’t feel like taking the time to explain.I don’t expect everyone to be as analytical, because at the end of the day it’s just entertainment and some people put more time into thinking or taking about it than others. So that’s why I just try to tune those out because arguing with them is usually just a waste of time and energy. I definitely understand how annoying it can be though when someone just drops a term like that into a discussion without any explanation and then act like they hold a superior view. It’s all subjective but that’s barely even an opinion, and usually a lot of people who fee the exact same way so it’s not like it’s revolutionary.

Yea, I definitely think that's what was missing from UBW for me. I loved how in Zero you were rooting for several different characters' motivations and had to watch them fight to the death to achieve their goals even though you didn't want some of them to die. I felt like everyone's motivations for trying to get the grail in UBW were weak tbh and I didn't really care about their motivations at all. Also they did Kotomine tooooo dirty. They could have at least given Rin time to respond to him telling her he killed her father. He literally tells her he killed her father and then dies lol it was v anticlimactic.

I usually do ignore the people who just trash on characters without giving an explanation but I felt like a lot of people just weren't understanding Shiro as a character and why he is the way he is. I was also curious to hear why people did not like Shiro so intensely. I'm not someone who defends an anime character I liked to the death, if someone has a valid point as to why they don't like that character I'm willing to accept it. And I've heard some valid points about why people don't really like Shiro.

I also just finished UBW yesterday so I wanted to discuss it a little haha

Apr 14, 2021 4:06 PM
Aug 2019
I don't dislike shiro as a protagonist I dislike him as a character. I understand what he represents and I don't think his back story is great. I don't think his generic because he honestly is my least favorite protagonist in anime. What I don't like about him is how idealistic he is. And fate did something criticize MHA for. They introduced a better version of the protagonist and never gave a good reason why I should support the protagonist over his alternative. For fate this is archer for MHA its Miro
Apr 14, 2021 4:08 PM

Sep 2018
Shiro Emiya is superior to most shounen mcs. I really enjoyed his idealism and character flaws.
Apr 14, 2021 4:20 PM

Dec 2020
Shirou is great, don't listen to the Zero secondaries.

Though I doubt the anime did him any justice, considering that most of the anime adaptations were underwhelming.
Apr 14, 2021 6:08 PM
Apr 2020
ChocoTaco said:

Finally, someone, who actually understands Emiya Shirou. I thank you for sharing this important piece of your thought.
Apr 14, 2021 7:16 PM
Oct 2020
Sensei_1 said:
I don't dislike shiro as a protagonist I dislike him as a character. I understand what he represents and I don't think his back story is great. I don't think his generic because he honestly is my least favorite protagonist in anime. What I don't like about him is how idealistic he is. And fate did something criticize MHA for. They introduced a better version of the protagonist and never gave a good reason why I should support the protagonist over his alternative. For fate this is archer for MHA its Miro

Yea, I have been seeing a lot of people having a problem with Shiro's backstory. I find it interesting however that the object which caused Shiro the most pain in his life (The Holy Grail) is also the object which he is striving to attain in the series in order to be able to realize his ideals. Shiro is made to be idealistic due to his backstory though, so if you don't vibe with his backstory its kinda impossible to appreciate any parts of Shiro haha. Which makes sense considering how much you dislike Shiro as a character.
Apr 14, 2021 9:06 PM

Dec 2019
not particularly. fate zero cast was so much better
Apr 15, 2021 12:19 AM

Jun 2019
ChocoTaco said:

I agree... imo shirou is overhated... sure he dont have the character depth of an kiritsugo, but imo he is still a better character than the most fighting shounen mc's
Apr 15, 2021 12:58 AM

Feb 2021
No, make Archer (Heroic Spirit EMIYA) the Main Protagonist Instead, I've had enough of Mr. Goody Two Shoes as the Main Character. Anti-Heroes are way more suited to become an MC.
Apr 15, 2021 1:21 AM
Oct 2020
ChocoTaco said:

You're right and i can agree!
Shirou's decisions are often irrational because of his psychological problems! His behaviour is a realistic portrayal of survivors guilt, ptsd and a martyr complex.
After being the only survivor of the big fire, he felt guilty because of it. He saw many people die and every attempt to help was meaningless. In result: he doesn't have any self worth and started to feel empty. However, Kiritsugu's smile was a big change in this mind. Shirou began to idolize him and wants to feel the same way like he did. In result: he tries to compensate his own emptiness by helping others. His vision of a "hero of justice" is very idealistic and distorted at the same time. He just wants to save everyone.. No matter what! Even if he will die during the process.

Every route got an different outcome for his character development, which makes him even more interesting. Especially the big contrast between ubw and heavens feel is a great example.
That's why you need to watch every route.
Unlike Zero, Fate/stay night only works as a whole package to understand every character and their motivations.

I can highly recommend to watch heavens feel as well :)
Apr 17, 2021 5:23 AM
Jul 2016
RandomGuyScott said:

I don´t think he's shallow in the anime. I say it as someone who's only watched the anime. I found his character to be quite good. His motives are clearly conveyed by all those flashbacks, His different inner struggles too, both UBW and HF did a great job at that. Idk what ppl say that makes him even better in the VN, but I found him to be one of my fav characters in anime
Apr 17, 2021 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
I mean people like a "stoic" "badass" and "mature" manchild who doesn't have any growth until finding Shirou and treats Saber like shit for no reason more than a kid who tries to live up to his ideals and grows, tries to be a good person despite his psychological problems. Shows you the type of character that people like.

@stickfiguresama Kamijou Touma? more like one of the most butchered characters ever. I don't know how they ruined him to such an extent in the Index anime.
Apr 17, 2021 5:28 AM
Oct 2020
I love how everyone is writing an essay here. If I could draw a parallel, Shirou's adaptation (albeit not as bad) is reminiscent of Kamijou Touma from Index
Apr 29, 2021 12:53 AM

Dec 2017
Blackmirror94 said:
Every route got an different outcome for his character development, which makes him even more interesting. Especially the big contrast between ubw and heavens feel is a great example.
That's why you need to watch every route.
Unlike Zero, Fate/stay night only works as a whole package to understand every character and their motivations.

I can highly recommend to watch heavens feel as well :)
I'm planning to watch this franchise for the first time, so I'm looking for the best way to watch it, like if there is a chronological order I should follow. So, from my understanding, I should watch every version of Fate/stay night since they all go by different routes.

Also, do I have to watch Fate/Zero before/after Fate/stay night?
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 9, 2021 1:53 PM

Nov 2018
Yes, he is amazing.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May 15, 2021 10:29 AM
Aug 2020
The anime didn't d him justice, the VN captured his character way better
May 18, 2021 10:09 AM

Apr 2020
Linux_2020 said:
No, make Archer (Heroic Spirit EMIYA) the Main Protagonist Instead, I've had enough of Mr. Goody Two Shoes as the Main Character. Anti-Heroes are way more suited to become an MC.

I am going to have to interject here. I am going to have to disagree with you on calling archer, thematically speaking, an anti-hero. Lore-wise, maybe he is one, but that doesn't go against my disagreement with you.

When looking at archer, he is the exact same as shiro. There maybe two differences, 1. Archer is just shirou without a filter. and 2. Archer is stronger than shiro, powerscaling wise.

Archer himself, is a deontologist who is forced into the role of consequentialist, hence why he hates shirou so much, one could also assume he may have been robbed of true happiness from the past, hence why he became even more broken. Simply put, Archer isn't happy because of his current status.

Mayhem_Psywar said:

Anayan_Kashyap said:
He is ass, I don't like him, bruh Kiritsugu was better

Mayhem_Psywar said:
ChocoTaco said:

well, people have different thoughts,but if u think deeply about each one and their beliefs, you see thay kiritsugu's character was an adult man with realist thoughts but shiro is just swaying in his dreams and thinks as a shounen protagonist does... i believe kiritsugu has a deeper and better character and u think the opposite.

I will have to disagree with all of this, altogether, simply put, Fate Stay Night is just simply sigmund frued's theories put into a single narrative. And as this narrative, you would have to treat Fate 2006, Unlimited Blades Works and Heaven's Feel as a single narrative. When you put all three route together you have the full psychology of shiro. However, if you've read the good ends of the VN only, then that isn't enough. It's even tougher to understand him, if you can't see the similarities between Mind of steel Shiro and EMIYA Alter, those two characters are the central idea of the opposite ending that was supposed to be the concept of a Good End for Heaven's Feel. To summerize, he becomes a "Hero of Justice", but on the outside, they just look like Hallow machine, one that has no mercy when it comes to sacrificing lives. You also have to realize that Shiro is the deconstruction of Heroism and more broadly speaking, Idealism, hence why people get confused when they say he just deconstructs shonen protagonists, which is true, but more versatile than that. You also have to see to fully understand Shiro, is not only experience one of the bad ends, but also, one must venture outside the FSN verse and come to terms with how Oath Under Snow portrays Shiro Emiya. OUS Shiro is a deconstruction of Shiro himself, which, in my opinion was the highlight of his character. Not, only does Fate Shiro, HF Shiro and UBW Shiro, have to be viewed as one, you have to also consider adding OUS Shiro, Archer and Mind of Steel Shiro, into the equation. That is essentially 6 variations of one character, weaved and woven into a single mentality. Kiritsugu will have a hard time competing with a character who has 5 more variations over him. If you like kiritsugu, all power to you, however, when we are deliberately saying "shiro is terrible, kiritsugu is better", then objectively this is untrue.
May 24, 2021 2:11 AM

Mar 2020
In regards the Shirou, I think he's a great protagonist and that person who massively prefer Kerry don't realise that they are incredibly similar characters with the same motivation, just with different methods and presentation. Deep down, as every single anime shows at least once (even if they can't constantly show Shirou's thought process like the VN), Shirou is just as broken and traumatised as Kerry, he just knows how to put a facade that he isn't.
electromagneto said:
I'm planning to watch this franchise for the first time, so I'm looking for the best way to watch it, like if there is a chronological order I should follow. So, from my understanding, I should watch every version of Fate/stay night since they all go by different routes.

Also, do I have to watch Fate/Zero before/after Fate/stay night?

Ideally, you should read the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel and then either read the Fate/Zero Light Novel or watch the show. If you don't have the time to read the entire vn then watch the anime in release order: Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Unlimtied Blade Works and then Heaven's Feel. Everything else is non-essential.
EpiccgaymerMay 24, 2021 2:15 AM

May 27, 2021 4:41 AM

Jan 2021
Every MC is generic in front of chad and GOAT kiritsugu.
May 28, 2021 12:22 AM
Aug 2019
One of my favourite concepts for a protagonist with some amazing internal monologues. Just a bummer the anime cut a lot of them which is understandable.
Jun 15, 2021 5:00 PM

Apr 2020
One of the best and most well-written protagonists I have ever seen.
He actually has a reason to think the way he thinks, unlike most shounen protagonists.
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.